Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put the car on the scales ....

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The firewall in the corners, can be cut otu and moved back some though... I don't know if you did that or not but one 4th gen car with side exit exhaust was done that way, I will try to find pictures. The car had a bbc in it too, fwiw.

I'd like to see the door panels that you made that are lighter then the DMH ones. Unless they're made out of paper I don't know how they coudl be any lighter. Fireball weighed his, and they were 12 oz per, so it's not even 2 lbs for both.

If ya found a way to make them lighter then that great but I'm not sure how ya did it, very interested to see.

Get some pictures too if ya can... as for the heat, I am 100% aware of how miserable it is LOL. My work, is in a ww1 age factory, with 40 foot ceilings and no vent's at all.. when the heat treat ovens that are abotu 20 feet tall and 15 feet wide open up, well I think sweatshop was one term that could be used. My office, being on the 2nd floor overseeing the production floor has a/c, but it can't keep up when the weather is like this... it just runs, and it never gets much lower then 80 in there

a/c is on in my garage right now, trying to cool it off. My welder should be here today so I can actually go get some stuff done.... trying to cool it off in there, so I can get to work tomorrow... I just went outside to put something away and it's only 81 in there now, it was 86 this morning when it went on. so with any luck by tomorrow, I should have a pretty cool garage to work in Just have to put some real heat in it this winter so it won't be bad the other 1/2 of the year, and maybe, I'll have a little more motivation to actually try to get something done
Old 07-19-2011, 11:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thats light, i can only imagine all the room yall have in the engine bay
Old 07-20-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
The firewall in the corners, can be cut otu and moved back some though... I don't know if you did that or not but one 4th gen car with side exit exhaust was done that way, I will try to find pictures. The car had a bbc in it too, fwiw.

I'd like to see the door panels that you made that are lighter then the DMH ones. Unless they're made out of paper I don't know how they coudl be any lighter. Fireball weighed his, and they were 12 oz per, so it's not even 2 lbs for both.

If ya found a way to make them lighter then that great but I'm not sure how ya did it, very interested to see.

YES you have to cut the double wall part but that does not leave alot of room for a big collector to exit. guess how i know.... I JUST ******* MADE A SET! Sometimes your "theory racing" gets anoying....

BTW i know there lighter becuase we made them. and there not even close to 2 lbs for ther pair. there is matterial lighter than carbon fibre.... like you mentioned paper is(we didn't use paper) the rule is it needs a cover. no other specs.... we try to think outside of the ls1 box.....
Old 07-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Race your car!

Here's a picture of the side exit header I was talking about. Tubes/collector are plenty big. I watched this car get built from start to finish... no "theory" here. Tire doesn't hit the header at full lock in either direction.

If you have a door panel that's lighter then the DMH ones were then by all means put a picture up, I'm sure that if you can make them/keep them readily available you can easily sell enough to make it worth while to sponsor the site. DMH made them and had no problems selling every set he made... and people are still looking for them now.

Last edited by JL ws-6; 08-14-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a picture of the side exit header I was talking about. Tubes/collector are plenty big. I watched this car get built from start to finish... no "theory" here. Tire doesn't hit the header at full lock in either direction.

If you have a door panel that's lighter then the DMH ones were then by all means put a picture up, I'm sure that if you can make them/keep them readily available you can easily sell enough to make it worth while to sponsor the site. DMH made them and had no problems selling every set he made... and people are still looking for them now.

The problem with those headers is there isnt any design built into them. The headers and collector are a key item on making peak HP. Every tube needs to be equal and the length is critical. Thats the problem build headers on a "STOCK" style front suspension. Thats the reason I went out the front on Meeks car. ATV and Shiz know what they are doing. If they have a question they call for help from the best.

225-343-9029
Old 07-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Race your car!

Then let me ask the question how much power, actual # have you seen from the equal length header design vs something like what I put the picture up of? I have seen peak #'s change, even peak #"s move in the rpm range, but never enough to justify going crazy trying to get every primary the same length.

And for that matter have you ever noticed the primary length before the collector make a huge impact?

Sand rail I help with, we started with 36 inches of primary length, and cut it all the way back to 22 inches and still never saw a huge gain. The headers got pulled off, tried a set of zoomie's that were 18 inches long and that picked it up some, but not as much as you'd think it would.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On naturally aspirated and NOS motors I have seen alot of difference. The biggest difference is in collectors, tubing sizes and collector length

225-343-9029
Old 07-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Race your car!

Not so much in the length of the primaries though (as far as equeal length)...
Old 07-20-2011, 08:22 PM
9 Second Club

your picture of a non upper a-arm non stock strut tower has 0 to do with what we did .Watching and doing are still different. the tubes in relation to the wall and tire tell me those tubes are not that big and the suspention is not in the same location. put 4 big tubes against the stock firewall and turn a 26" tire to full lock and see how much room you have. if the tubes bigger than 2 1/8 the room is about 0.... we had to do alot of finagling to get them in there. those little boxes aint ****

shiz posting at waynes house...
Old 08-07-2011, 08:51 PM
9 Second Club

Got a few crappy cell phone pics for you guys....

Old 08-07-2011, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Looks like another animal. LoL
That thing will fly
Old 08-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Race your car!

How's the plug access with those?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:56 AM
9 Second Club

How's the plug access with those?
We can get to the 4 corners, the 2 middle plugs will have to be changed from underneath.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no bull horns????

Thats the ultralight spindle mount? Did you guys weight that and the old setup?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:04 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
no bull horns????

Thats the ultralight spindle mount? Did you guys weight that and the old setup?
No bull horns.

Ya, but just as a total package..... saved 75lbs from our old mild steel Kmember, Aarms, spindles, wheels and brakes.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Race your car!

The center plugs were the ones I was wondering about. Looked pretty tight.

Not much ya can do about it though like you said. Drivers side with the steering shaft must be even more fun.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:20 PM
9 Second Club

It sucked real bad, not a set I would reccomend anyone try to make for there first set of headers like we did..... been holding us up for a while, wont be long now though.

#7 goes under the steering shaft and the other 3 go over it..... steering has to be removed to get header off.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Look's great wayne!!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:41 PM
9 Second Club

Nice Wayne and Steve! Car looks great and look forward to seeing what you run next. Keep up the great work!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Race your car!

I don't know if you did the slip on collector or not... if you did, the mozez heads have 2 bolts per cyl right? If so at least you can take 1/2 the header off then get the steering shaft out.

Header fab is somewhat of an art... you have to have an eye for how to lay it out then have the ability to make the tubing do what you want it to. My local fab guy , I've helped build a couple sets with him (the pictured ones that weren't relevant for you guys) as well as some that had some pretty long primary's (bb chrysler in a 68 dart)... it's fun to do, but can be very time consuming.

Quick Reply: Put the car on the scales ....