Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two step Qs....N/A

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two step Qs....N/A

Im just getting into the drag racing idea with my 02 SS(sig) so im getting some et streets, and doing the motor mounts (well on there way out), car has a 12 bolt...Anyway, I was thinking from what i have seen lurking on here, a 2-step might help my launches significantly,is this a good idea? Car is N/A M6
Old 08-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can tell you is when I finally get a chance to go racing again, this is def going to be a purchase for me. M6 car need more suspension help then automatic cars (for the most part and ref to NON T brake transmissions). Having the ability to make the launch more consistant is an invaluable tool.

Just can't run CATs so I need some delete pipes for my Dynatech, that bout it....
Old 08-23-2011, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can learn to launch above 5000 rpm by listening. If your clutch won't survive launches above 5k then you need a better clutch before you need a two-step. If you spin badly when launching below 4500 then you need tires and or suspension improvements before you need a two-step. If you consistently sixty between 1.6x and 1.4x seconds and you would like to narrow that range, then you may need a two-step.

Last edited by Gary Z; 08-23-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
All I can tell you is when I finally get a chance to go racing again, this is def going to be a purchase for me. M6 car need more suspension help then automatic cars (for the most part and ref to NON T brake transmissions). Having the ability to make the launch more consistant is an invaluable tool.

Just can't run CATs so I need some delete pipes for my Dynatech, that bout it....

Thanks for the response.Are you saying you cant run cats in general with a 2-step?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gary Z
You can learn to launch above 5000 rpm by listening. If your clutch won't survive launches above 5k then you need a better clutch before you need a two-step. If you spin badly when launching below 4500 then you need tires and or suspension improvements before you need a two-step. If you consistently sixty between 1.6x and 1.4x seconds and you would like to narrow that range, then you may need a two-step.
Thanks garyz,That sure puts it into perspective...I'm picking up some et streets and the clutch is already a textralia oz700x grip that i put just under 20k on(all street).Car in sig 12-bolt....I also have an aftermarket torque arm, pan-hard and lca. So i guess im on the fence lol
Old 08-24-2011, 08:04 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by 1stIDFO
Thanks for the response.Are you saying you cant run cats in general with a 2-step?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...trol-cats.html

Enjoy.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
^ I did thank you for that lol....How about if i installed a cutout before the cats? I'd assume then I'd be gtg?....Thanks

Trending Topics

Old 08-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by 1stIDFO
^ I did thank you for that lol....How about if i installed a cutout before the cats? I'd assume then I'd be gtg?....Thanks
IMO the velocity will still send fuel towards the cat since its heavier, noting there to "block" the way to the cat, just re-directing due to less resistance.

Also to mention back in the day JL-ws6 had his CAT come apart (due to large cube nitrous motor), shattered the cat and got lodge down towards the over axle dump on a Loud Mount 1 exhaust. Car was down like 70 hp on the dyno and we spent the afternoon trying shake and fish out the chunks.....
Old 08-24-2011, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IF you dont sit on the 2 step on the line, you should be fine. The 2 step was probably one of the best things to help me out at the track. I'm usually 2stepping for less than 1 second. Another thing to add, it will surely foul out your plugs ALOT faster than without one.. Here's a video for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfLTO...eature=related