Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK So my T56 DR experiment first time out

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant say I know the live center. My car peaks about 6450 and doesnt really start to fall of until 6800. Im shifting at 6900-7000.
On my first pass I started at 16psi cold and about 18 after the pass when I rechecked them. It spun thats when I started dropping pressure.

Man this is tuff to get dialed when Im my own crew/builder/driver and never really messed with DA shocks before this car. The car worked so good on the stock shocks/springs and a 26 tire, its very frusterating. I went quicker NA than the car went on a 200shot.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NC98Z
I would call the Madman and see what he recommends. I've got AFCO DA Terminators on all 4 corners with 300# springs in the front. I'm still dialing mine in. Got it to 1.58 so far.
PMs are sent for them to check out the thread and then get back to me with suggestions. I have a feeling if my car was an auto like yours I wouldnt be having these issues.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:41 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Why do you want to use a radial?

Honeycutt, Lashley, Jud, and Quicktime all run Bias ply tires with a manual. ALL 8 second cars. All 60' well.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

Im switching to a th350 down the road. Actually the build should have been done months ago but the shortblock still isnt ready after 9 months.
Also I drive the car on the street, the rules for my class dont allow a full drag slick and I have seen some T56 cars make DRs work. How Im not sure but 1.4s and wheel up made me want to try it.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your are sure trying to break a lot of parts for a temporary setup... just sayin.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

What parts do you think there are to break? Im thinkin the trans is the only thing that would break seeing as I snapped the main shaft on my last one. Other than that the entire car is built and I do plan on keeping this set up for the rest of the season now. Why not try and make it work? Dont really want to spen 400 on tires for a temporary set up.
If the trans goes I could always swap in the 350 early.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:06 PM
9 Second Club

How hot was the track? how well was the track prepped?

These play a huge role with a radial, especially with an m6. and why are you shifting into 5th? you should go through in 4th?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya wait till you start shelling u joints, shafts and slip yokes. i tried a drag radial once with the t56 only way to attempt to make it work was to slip the hell out of the clutch. and then i broke ****. go to a bias ply and enjoy some 1.4s. what are your trap speeds n/a and on nitrous? what kind of power you making. i have 4.10s shifting at 6900 and crossing the line around 7k in 4th at 142mph on a 28
Old 09-07-2011, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by camscam02
why are you shifting into 5th? you should go through in 4th?
I am also curious as to how thats happening?? I shift at 67-6800 and cross the line at 6500 rpm in 4th gear, 28's with 4.10's
Old 09-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
What parts do you think there are to break? Im thinkin the trans is the only thing that would break seeing as I snapped the main shaft on my last one. Other than that the entire car is built and I do plan on keeping this set up for the rest of the season now. Why not try and make it work? Dont really want to spen 400 on tires for a temporary set up.
If the trans goes I could always swap in the 350 early.
The one thing you have going for you is that you seemingly do not care if you destroy that transmission and clutch set up. The smart move is to get the TH350 in there now, sell the T-56 for at least 1k, maybe more and go run some personal best.

Making it work involves time and money for many rental day runs and playing with the settings hoping you do not grenade the transmission, u-joints, clutches, driveshafts, yokes, rear end case, gears, axles, differentials, axle studs. Or frag the clutch through the floor and into your legs.

The reasons why you see a fast M6 drag radial car has to do with the clutch set up which is a Soft-loc from Mcleod which by the way Can NOT be driven on the street, track only, and very expensive upkeep and continous adjustment. That, or they spent for a Bias-ply slick and get a similar "slip/spin" that helps with launching.

Since you sound like you do not have the time, money, or much else to dedicate to this I would suggest playing with the setting and working with your technique. I am willing to wager you drive the car differently now with the different suspension and willing to wager you slipped the hell out of it to get it to run ok on stock suspension but now the confidence of all the aftermarket stuff I am sure has changed your launch technique.

Edit: I justed to add that I totally respect what your doing, and beleive me I am in a similar boat. But being down this path has gotten expensive and that was before fuel nearly tripled and the fact the that closest track is 2 hours one way, burning fuel, fees, and parts got a little nuts at this time.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 09-08-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

These play a huge role with a radial, especially with an m6. and why are you shifting into 5th? you should go through in 4th?
Yeah, how is he going into 5th NA with 4.10's and 28's.....

Im running 4.56's, and 28's and cross at ~7400
Old 09-08-2011, 10:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried the DR route with the 6 speed, the best i could muster was 1.70 60 ft. That was with 295/55/15 MT's too (28x12.5). FIRST pass on my bias ply DOT tires, was a 1.56. I will never go back to a DR again with a manual.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

Well It was 100+ outside all day so im sure the track was super hot, but it did hold some 8sec passes. DA was around 35-3600

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
ya wait till you start shelling u joints, shafts and slip yokes. i tried a drag radial once with the t56 only way to attempt to make it work was to slip the hell out of the clutch. and then i broke ****. go to a bias ply and enjoy some 1.4s. what are your trap speeds n/a and on nitrous? what kind of power you making. i have 4.10s shifting at 6900 and crossing the line around 7k in 4th at 142mph on a 28
car makes 415 NA and has trapped as high as 119.88 NA. But normally in the heat 117 or so. I didnt make a full pass NA the day I sprayed it. Just made sure the car was running right and stayed in 4th on and off the gas to keep it off the limiter. That pass was only 108mph. First nitrous pass it went 124mph on a 150 shot, switched to a 200 and no change in mph. Then again I never got a clean pass in on the gun.

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
The one thing you have going for you is that you seemingly do not care if you destroy that transmission and clutch set up. The smart move is to get the TH350 in there now, sell the T-56 for at least 1k, maybe more and go run some personal best.

Making it work involves time and money for many rental day runs and playing with the settings hoping you do not grenade the transmission, u-joints, clutches, driveshafts, yokes, rear end case, gears, axles, differentials, axle studs. Or frag the clutch through the floor and into your legs.

The reasons why you see a fast M6 drag radial car has to do with the clutch set up which is a Soft-loc from Mcleod which by the way Can NOT be driven on the street, track only, and very expensive upkeep and continous adjustment. That, or they spent for a Bias-ply slick and get a similar "slip/spin" that helps with launching.

Since you sound like you do not have the time, money, or much else to dedicate to this I would suggest playing with the setting and working with your technique. I am willing to wager you drive the car differently now with the different suspension and willing to wager you slipped the hell out of it to get it to run ok on stock suspension but now the confidence of all the aftermarket stuff I am sure has changed your launch technique.

Edit: I justed to add that I totally respect what your doing, and beleive me I am in a similar boat. But being down this path has gotten expensive and that was before fuel nearly tripled and the fact the that closest track is 2 hours one way, burning fuel, fees, and parts got a little nuts at this time.
Your wrong about some things. The launch has stayed the same. I dont have as much time as Id like to test but everything else you listed isnt true. I have put TONS of time and money into this car. This spring my Dad died so I have been busy with family stuff/work and havent had a ton of extra time to test this season.
I have a Street twin clutch, PST 3.5" DS, 3150 u-joints, S60 rear, 35 spline axles and ARP studs. I think the trans will go b4 anything else and I really dont care if it breaks. Well maybe the tru trac could bust but if it does the car will get a spool anyways. The trans wont be for sale anyways and it will go into storage with the rest of the stock parts from this car. Anyways the car is built for lots of power.

I have no Idea why its going into 5th. But it def is going into 5th NA at about 1100ft. I thought i would be crossing at a lower RPM???
Old 09-08-2011, 11:43 AM
9 Second Club

Either you don't have 28s on it, your clutch is slipping, or you don't have 4.10s in it. It's not possible to be at 6900 at 124mph with your setup
Old 09-08-2011, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

Thats what I thought but Its a MT DR 275x60-15 tire, clutch def is not slipping and the gears have been the same since I installed the S60 2 years ago brand new. Dont ask me why but thats what is going on. Seems Impossible to me also. It worked just fine until the tire and shock changes
Old 09-08-2011, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Heres and old vid on 27" QTPs. Went 11.6@119.44 NA. No other changes to the gears since then just the shocks and tires. Went through the traps in 4th in that vid. Not sure if I have a full run that shows shifting into 5th on the 28s. Ill look for one though
http://www.youtube.com/user/achotrod#p/u/9/6yiELaU-CRA

Im also thinking for what ever reason I was not getting a 200 shot even though it was jetted for 200

Last edited by AChotrod; 09-08-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:15 PM
FormerVendor

Mike you need time at the track with that car which you do not have. There is no way you will figure it out in a day on a hot slick track.

There is also something going on if you can't make it thru the traps N/A with a 28"/4.10 setup. The car on spray should be able to get thru the traps based off your MPH.

The M/T DR is a tire which will be tough to make work on a stick car and would suggest a slick or Hoosier DR.

I am also surprised to hear Madman suggested the lower hole on LCA brackets with your car not being lowered. you sure he understood the car is at stock ride height? how did you set your pinion angle?

I plan to get some people together for a Sat or Sunday at Byron hopefully before the end of the month, so maybe I can get out sometime when you are at the track.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry @ AMS
I plan to get some people together for a Sat or Sunday at Byron hopefully before the end of the month, so maybe I can get out sometime when you are at the track.
Let me know about this, if we can make it I would like to try.

Sean
Old 09-08-2011, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Larry that would be great if I can get out of work. I did lower the front some and pulled the insulators on the rear Its about as low as you can go without the tires rubbing when they grow. The angle on the LCAs goes up towards the front from the rear like it should.
Im sure you can vouch it does have 4.10s, 28s, and the power is what I say it is. I dunno wtf happened the car used to run so good. Its not just the shootout either even on the QTPs I was having the same/similar issues last year.

Last edited by AChotrod; 09-08-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:53 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Broke EF
Let me know about this, if we can make it I would like to try.

Sean
cool

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Larry that would be great if I can get out of work. I did lower the front some and pulled the insulators on the rear Its about as low as you can go without the tires rubbing when they grow. The angle on the LCAs goes up towards the front from the rear like it should.
Im sure you can vouch it does have 4.10s, 28s, and the power is what I say it is. I dunno wtf happened the car used to run so good. Its not just the shootout either even on the QTPs I was having the same/similar issues last year.
I know you stay busy with work, but again it is not going to happen in a day and can't base how it work on the street vs track. I bet you have not went to the track all year knowing you.

4.10/28" is a good all around combo, but will limit the amount of spray depending on MPH/RPM. I feel even a 26" tire should work N/A to get thru the traps if the car does still pull cleanly to 6800 rpm though you said it is out of rpm in 4th. I'm very confused on how that can be.
how are you determining rpm? stock tach. shift light ? is it on the limiter or possibly breaking up and you confused it for the limiter?

5th is not going to work well for you for a drag setup as I'm sure you know

DR's will grow very little unlike a slick / bias ply tire

I have my car, my dads, and many other cars low with 28's and have no issues.

how did you set the torque arm?

Quick Reply: OK So my T56 DR experiment first time out