Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Car Wiring BCM???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 07:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Race Car Wiring BCM???

Started removing all wires that I don't need. I'm down to the BCM, can I get rid of the whole BCM.
I think I can bypass the start relay, by grounding the ground wire off the start relay coil. That will let the car start without the BCM.
Now, what do I need to do with the fuel enable wire? I think this wire goes to the PCM, can I ground it also or what?
Are there any other BCM wires that I might need to make the car run?
Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll have more questions.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you have to disposable the VATS in the PCM. So it doesn't stall after the 3secs or whatever it looks for after it starts.

How much dose that save? I help that so I can use the keyfob, and the windows, dome light and other little things. I htought the BCM black box didnt weight that much, and I was going to have to run the wires for the things anyway.
Is it alot more then just the BCM, Im not thinking of you can remove?
Old 10-18-2011, 04:11 PM
9 Second Club

I'm wanting to remove all the wires I don't need. Too damn many wires for stuff I don't need. I'll rewire the windows and the little things I need. It's not going to save alot of weight, but more than one might think.
After more research, I think you can disable VATS in the PCM. This will let the PCM fire the injectors.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:13 PM
9 Second Club

Studderin, I read your write up on lite weight harness. Great info, if anybody wants to remove any wires they should read it first.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks. I got it ready, but still not in the car been busy racing. And dont want to find out what I did wrong, this winter I'll get it in. Should be -20#s and I plan on doing a light stereo
Old 10-23-2011, 05:21 PM
9 Second Club

What does the fuel enable wire from the BCM to the PCM do?
Does it tell the PCM to fire the injectors or does it tell the PCM to send a hot to the fuel pump relay coil?
Old 10-30-2011, 03:06 PM
9 Second Club

After more research, the fuel enable wire pulls the fuel pump relay in, it does not send a signal to fire the injectors.
The fuel pump relay has a ground wire already at the relay. So to pull the relay in you need a hot, I'm thinking this fuel enable wire is a 12v hot from the PCM.
Does anyone know if this is true? 12v from the PCM.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

sure you can't just disable it in the PCM to not look for it. thats that one wire form the BCM to the PCM were talking about. right?
it controls the fuel pump after the car starts, looks for the correct signal (resistance) form the chip in the key.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty sure you can just disable vats in the ecm to remove the bcm.

what about windows and locks and stuff like that? is that controlled by bcm?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't it be easier, or at least much less time consuming to put in an aftermarket wiring harness? Such as would be used in a streetrod. Chuck
Old 10-31-2011, 05:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
sure you can't just disable it in the PCM to not look for it. thats that one wire form the BCM to the PCM were talking about. right?
it controls the fuel pump after the car starts, looks for the correct signal (resistance) form the chip in the key.
The wire from the BCM to the PCM is like a 5v 50 hz signal (from what I've been told).It tells the PCM that it's the right key and everythings o.k. to send power to the fuel pump relay.
Yeah, you can tune the VATS out of the PCM also. And it will enable the fuel pump some how. I don't know how it does it.
But if you tune the BCM out you still have to ground the start relay ground wire to the chassis. Because the BCM sends a ground wire directly to this relay.
I hope I haven't confused you.
I just about confused myself. LOL
Old 10-31-2011, 05:18 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
pretty sure you can just disable vats in the ecm to remove the bcm.

what about windows and locks and stuff like that? is that controlled by bcm?
Yeah, you can disable vats, but you still have to ground the start relay ground wire to the chassis. The bcm sends a ground wire directly to the start relay. It does not go through the pcm.
Yeah, the bcm controlls the windows, locks, rap and ect.
You will have to re wire all that.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ctjohns
Wouldn't it be easier, or at least much less time consuming to put in an aftermarket wiring harness? Such as would be used in a streetrod. Chuck
Yes it would!
But there alittle expensive.
I'm just removing every wire I don't need, from my wiring harnesses.
Next year I'm going to build my own power board. Fuses, relays, ect.
I'm also mounting my fuse boxes inside the car, on the hvac delete plate.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:22 AM
Launching!

I was asking b/c I have all the wiring out of my 01 T/A getting a cage done and had read that a few guys used a Rebel Wiring harness rather than thinning out the factory stuff. This will be a drag car mainly, but still want to use the power windows and a few other things. Good luck with the wiring, Chuck
Old 11-01-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Veteran

What your essentially wanting to do is make a standalone harness. Just remove your PCM and label all the connectors going into it. Remove unnecessary stuff, and keep the stuff you want.

The BCM can be taken out if you don't want to use key fob and all that good stuff. To get the fuel pump and stuff to work just use the factory fuel pump relay and re-wire it so that the PCM is now in control of it and it doesn't even pass through the BCM.

Yes Vats will have to be turned off in order for the car to run longer than 3 sec. It's a simple job for someone with HPtuners.

I've completely redone my harness for my swap and it wasn't bad at all. I removed everything except for what was needed to make it run.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by bjamick
What your essentially wanting to do is make a standalone harness. Just remove your PCM and label all the connectors going into it. Remove unnecessary stuff, and keep the stuff you want.

The BCM can be taken out if you don't want to use key fob and all that good stuff. To get the fuel pump and stuff to work just use the factory fuel pump relay and re-wire it so that the PCM is now in control of it and it doesn't even pass through the BCM.

Yes Vats will have to be turned off in order for the car to run longer than 3 sec. It's a simple job for someone with HPtuners.

I've completely redone my harness for my swap and it wasn't bad at all. I removed everything except for what was needed to make it run.
Very well said!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Launching!

Heck, I don't even need the fuel pump, just lights, turn signals, windows, and locks basically. Going to use a stand alone ignition panel and big stuff 3 to start and run the engine area. Wondered if I could just cut out all the other crap and leave door harnesses alone, along with headlamp wires? Chuck

Quick Reply: Race Car Wiring BCM???