Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on what to do when my car wheelies..

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 02:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grab another cog and stay in it!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

do this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyV28...feature=relmfu
Old 11-14-2011, 09:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

MIke I am glad to see our newly designed BMR anti-roll bar is working fro you. Get me some video next time you go to the track.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I have never had the font tires in the air but I would never ever touch the brakes. That sounds like the worst idea ever. Like the smart ones have said all that is going to do is smash the **** out of the front end.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The thing with tapping the brakes, if you don't have a spool in the car and 1 wheel grabs before the other that's a good way to put the car right into the wall.

If you have a spool in the car, it can work and people do it... I would be very cautious about that one. Strapping the front downtravel out of the car and then a little throttle feather if it starts to come up usually works, at least until you're into the 1000+ hp power level. Once you get into that power level stuff happens ALOT faster and sometimes no matter what you do ya may not catch it. At this point... wheelie bars become a really good idea unless your class doesn't allow them.. in that case better get with the program on throttle control, chassis tuning and bring lots of fresh drawers LOL.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
The thing with tapping the brakes, if you don't have a spool in the car and 1 wheel grabs before the other that's a good way to put the car right into the wall.

If you have a spool in the car, it can work and people do it... I would be very cautious about that one. Strapping the front downtravel out of the car and then a little throttle feather if it starts to come up usually works, at least until you're into the 1000+ hp power level. Once you get into that power level stuff happens ALOT faster and sometimes no matter what you do ya may not catch it. At this point... wheelie bars become a really good idea unless your class doesn't allow them.. in that case better get with the program on throttle control, chassis tuning and bring lots of fresh drawers LOL.
You are correct!!! you can tune your suspension so that you are using your HP to push your car forward not picking your car up.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by studderin
do this
That's exactly how to handle it!

Last edited by mbaker3; 11-15-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used the brakes in both spool and posi cars, but more times with spools. My posi car would turn in the air sometimes, that caused me to buy a spool! The brakes are the most effective way to control the car when it gets to high in the air. Better than that would be setting the suspension tight enough that it does not wheelie, but that can cause wheel spin if you get it to tight. My next car will have a hand brake for just the rear wheels, that will allow load on rears only when it starts shuddering just before it shakes.

Kurt
Originally Posted by JL ws-6

Old 11-14-2011, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get with MADMAN buy some SYA bars and possibly some AFCO DAs and use his suggested settings. That or wheelie bars.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:25 AM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by 427
I have used the brakes in both spool and posi cars, but more times with spools. My posi car would turn in the air sometimes, that caused me to buy a spool! The brakes are the most effective way to control the car when it gets to high in the air. Better than that would be setting the suspension tight enough that it does not wheelie, but that can cause wheel spin if you get it to tight. My next car will have a hand brake for just the rear wheels, that will allow load on rears only when it starts shuddering just before it shakes.

Kurt
The idea of the hand brake is a good idea... be alot going on with shifting and whatnot but if the lever is there and you have the sense to give it a nudge it would work.

The comment about the spool.. I saw someone try this one and they shot the car from the right lane strait into the left lane and just about wrecked the car into the wall.. car didn't have a spool in it. Left wheel grabbed first, and away it went.....

I played the game with spinning, vs the wheeile, there is a happy medium to be found, at least in a mid 9 second car, and I believe that same point can be found I think on a 9.0 car. Any faster then that I wouldn't really even try without wheelie bars... too much $ into the car at that level unless the class won't allow it. Guys go into the 6's now without them... but good for them I say LOL.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:32 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once the car has the ability to put itself on the bumper then its the owners responsibility to do what they can to limit that. MOST cars should be fine with limiters but depending on the power level like said it may come to that point of wheelie bars.

Either way it would just suck having anything get mangled, be it oil pans, k members, or radiator supports.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
MIke I am glad to see our newly designed BMR anti-roll bar is working fro you. Get me some video next time you go to the track.
Ya kyle it made a huge difference and its a really good looking setup. Thanks a lot for the help.

Ill be by shop for a driveshaft loop soon by the way.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:23 AM
9 Second Club

Wheelie bars........
Old 11-17-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tektrans
sissy sticks........
fyp...
Old 11-18-2011, 07:30 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by buzz12586
fyp...
This comin' from the guy who is a hair better than having a 12 second ride?

I'm sure everyone is lining up to listen to your advice.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:11 PM
9 Second Club

This comin' from the guy who is a hair better than having a 12 second ride?

I'm sure everyone is lining up to listen to your advice.
my thoughts exactly.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Race your car!

Wheeile bars... longer the better That is the end all solution.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wheelie bars........
YUP.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well when my car is finished I'll come back and post again if that is ok with you. I just think wheelie bars look silly on anything not running deep into the 6's
Old 11-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Race your car!

Buzz no offense but I'll make note to mention that to a couple people I know with cars that are "only" running in the 7.30 range. I'm sure they will agree that becuase they don't have deep six second cars, the wheelie bars are really stupid.

Have you ever tried to go 1/2 that fast? Hell have you ever run anything in the single digits at all? With the way you're taking a "holier then thou" approach right now I'm guessing no.

Quick Reply: School me on what to do when my car wheelies..