Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SFI safety harness @ 12.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SFI safety harness @ 12.0

If you have a car that runs 12.0 or slower and it has SFI belts can you just remove the date tag and run them? We run IHRA here, I've had this argument with the NHRA techs and they seem to think it's safer to remove the out of date SFI belts and pit in factory belts, or they are a bunch of hard heads.

Anybody have to deal with this?

My car has a full cage, a containment seat and 5 point Crow belts that are 1 month out of date. And they are bitching about the belts. I could understand it if I was running 11.40's...

Al 95 Z28
Old 11-17-2011, 01:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think if you have a harness it has to be in date.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al
If you have a car that runs 12.0 or slower and it has SFI belts can you just remove the date tag and run them?
:lol

Awesome.

Simple answer: It's highway robbery that belts de-cert every 2 years IMO, but "ripping the tag off and running them" is not the answer.
The following users liked this post:
fucter (05-25-2021)
Old 11-18-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Some belt mfgrs will "recert" them for <$ than new.....
Also, if you have a cage, I don't think using stock belts a "doable thing"...Tech wise, anyway...

Kinda like a $30 helmet... Ok if you have a $30 head....
Old 11-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Internet Mechanic

Reason why they have a 2 year cert is due to people out there running on belts that were very old and at some point was a factor in a accident. Rules typically need to be universal in order to fit all races. They want to make sure if you had a bad crash, your coming out alive.

If a belt broke and some racer winds up dead or severly hurt, you better beleive that company will start getting a bad rep and half the time things breaking is operator error or improper matience.

Sorta like Bogarts breaking due to heavy street use.....
Old 11-18-2011, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive seen this argument come up before. I dont see how you can run stock belts that could be 30 years old but cant run an out dated newer belt. They are both "out of date" so what the hell is the difference. The rule really needs changed to do something about stock belts.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Internet Mechanic

When you run belts that are designed to specifically be rated up to a given ET, they need to be up that level. Stock seat belts do not have the same expectation of protection or safty a 5 pt harness is designed to have.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:48 PM
7 Second Club

I agree that stock 30+ year old belts might not be the safest thing on a car close to the roll bar / 5-point line. But when we're talking about safety items, I feel it's never a bad thing to have a little extra. I've seen a few accidents recently where guys are wearing all the required stuff, and as a result my motorcycle helmet (although NHRA legal) will get traded for an SA rated one next year.

Derek
Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Talked to an IHRA safety tech this morning. According to him you do not need up to date belts if your class does not call for them. Class rules say 11.49 for a regular car, 13.49 for a convertible. He said the NHRA rules are the same. He said if the tech inspector says you do, ask him to show you where it is in the rule book. I looked through the 2012 NHRA book and it says belts have to be updated IF needed. Section 4A, Page 8 Here it is verbatim: SFI 16.1 restraint system, when required, includes crotch strap and must be
updated at two-year intervals from date of manufacture

The key words here are "when required."

I would find this out just AFTER having my belts recertified

Al 95 Z28
Old 01-26-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Villain281H
I agree that stock 30+ year old belts might not be the safest thing on a car close to the roll bar / 5-point line. But when we're talking about safety items, I feel it's never a bad thing to have a little extra. I've seen a few accidents recently where guys are wearing all the required stuff, and as a result my motorcycle helmet (although NHRA legal) will get traded for an SA rated one next year.

Derek
I agree with you. I went with the next step up on my jackets and pants. I just had a flex plate break and blow a chunk of bell housing off. I' m now thinking it's time for a trans shield. It's like everyone thinks it won't happen to me. Well It surely will in time. I get mad at guys building 9 or even 10 sec street cars then getting booted from the track for lack of safety equip. and then bitching about the track officals. At least try and make it legal for the times your running. The belt issue does suck for door cars but on the dragsters they are in the sun all day.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
I agree with you. I went with the next step up on my jackets and pants. I just had a flex plate break and blow a chunk of bell housing off. I' m now thinking it's time for a trans shield. It's like everyone thinks it won't happen to me. Well It surely will in time. I get mad at guys building 9 or even 10 sec street cars then getting booted from the track for lack of safety equip. and then bitching about the track officals. At least try and make it legal for the times your running. The belt issue does suck for door cars but on the dragsters they are in the sun all day.
This is exactly my worry about my M6 ... what were your times/power level before this happened? Did the "chunk" make it into the cabin?
Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
This is exactly my worry about my M6 ... what were your times/power level before this happened? Did the "chunk" make it into the cabin?
It all went out the bottom. I never heard it or felt it. I drove back to the pits and turned off the car. I went to start it and nothing just the starter motor running. I guessed the solenoid went out. I couldn't see under the car so I didn't find it till the next day at home. I felt bad that there was trash on the track that no one knew about. Mid 10's and low 130's.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
It all went out the bottom. I never heard it or felt it. I drove back to the pits and turned off the car. I went to start it and nothing just the starter motor running. I guessed the solenoid went out. I couldn't see under the car so I didn't find it till the next day at home. I felt bad that there was trash on the track that no one knew about. Mid 10's and low 130's.
We appear to be making similar power at the rear wheels, but with an A4, you are making better engine power. I realize that a shattered flexplate is different than a exploding flywheel/clutch assembly, but I have not heard of too much damage from flexplates letting go.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree but it will still be a pain to fix. I'm now concerned with the tranny blowing up and ending in my lap.

Whats your best time and MPH?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

My car runs mid 11s and should go faster this year. But I got a QTP bellhousing when replaceing my clutch. Kind of sucks to buy a $450 part that does nothing for performace. But my legs and car are worth more the 450 bucks so the car got it. Just have to view it in a differnt way.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Big Al
Talked to an IHRA safety tech this morning. According to him you do not need up to date belts if your class does not call for them. Class rules say 11.49 for a regular car, 13.49 for a convertible. He said the NHRA rules are the same. He said if the tech inspector says you do, ask him to show you where it is in the rule book. I looked through the 2012 NHRA book and it says belts have to be updated IF needed. Section 4A, Page 8 Here it is verbatim: SFI 16.1 restraint system, when required, includes crotch strap and must be
updated at two-year intervals from date of manufacture

The key words here are "when required."

I would find this out just AFTER having my belts recertified

Al 95 Z28
Yup, Belts only need to have an up to date tag if the car is required to have a rollbar.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

Went to the drags Saturday prepared for a fight. Guy looked at the belts and didn't say a word. Go figure....

They had an Import shootout, so I tried to get in, told them my car was built in Canada and imported to the US but they would not budge

Al 95 Z28