Battery Relocation Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RENE'S RAGE
WOW! Almost 3 years old!
What was your question again?
Since this thread is back and alive, let me hijack...

You started by saying 250A is what you need. What were you powering with that? I ask because on my Hombre swap, I threw the battery under the bed and sent two (2) 2 gauge wires to the front: one straight to the starter, the other through a 150A fuse to a post that distributes to the fuse box and the alternator. My voltage is a steady and happy 14V at any given time when heat soaked.

I never liked that my starter wire isn't fused, and I wouldn't mind throwing a block in if it would handle the amperage. So, if I had a dedicated 2ga wire to the starter, what size fuse could I put in there?
The following users liked this post:
E_Hillman (01-13-2021)
Old 03-01-2016, 06:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually used a 200 amp fuse. I fused the negative side. That way the whole system is fused before the hot side of the battery.
I had a little incident last year, my starter wire was laying on the header, burnt the wire and went to ground. Blew the 200 amp fuse.

If you don't want to fuse the negative side, I'd put both your wires on the same 150 amp fuse, And see if it holds.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Let's make things more complicated, I have two ground wires: one to the block, one to the frame lol

So two 2ga wires on the positive, two to ground.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grounding the block and frame are a good idea. Mine is similar, both block and frame are grounded, but with one continuous 1/0 wire.
Since you have the fuse on the positive side, I'd just break the starter wire and put it on the same 150 amp fuse and see if it holds. Probably will.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RENE'S RAGE
I actually used a 200 amp fuse. I fused the negative side. That way the whole system is fused before the hot side of the battery.
I had a little incident last year, my starter wire was laying on the header, burnt the wire and went to ground. Blew the 200 amp fuse.

If you don't want to fuse the negative side, I'd put both your wires on the same 150 amp fuse, And see if it holds.
Im not saying youre wrong. But no OEM fuses the negative, and second ive seen primary wires burn/melt and in my experience its started burning from the positive post. Id fuse the positive, plain and simple.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Im not saying youre wrong. But no OEM fuses the negative, and second ive seen primary wires burn/melt and in my experience its started burning from the positive post. Id fuse the positive, plain and simple.
Do it whatever way you like but grounding the negative works "plain and simple"!!

Quick Reply: Battery Relocation Fuse