Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K-member on a daily driver. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default K-member on a daily driver. Opinions?

Me and my girlfriend made a bet on something and if I won she had to buy me a k-member, and if she won I had to buy her Cobra headlights, Flows, and pulleys for her 94 GT. Well I won

I've read through my fair share of searches and haven't really found any conrete info. Would mild steel or chromoly be best for a daily driver? What are the advantages of integrated motor mounts or reusing the stock ones? So far I like the BMR piece but PA is the only one offered in chromoly. I will not be ordering the a-arms because what I gathered from the searches is that these were not the greatest for street use.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS1BlackZ28
Me and my girlfriend made a bet on something and if I won she had to buy me a k-member, and if she won I had to buy her Cobra headlights, Flows, and pulleys for her 94 GT. Well I won

I've read through my fair share of searches and haven't really found any conrete info. Would mild steel or chromoly be best for a daily driver? What are the advantages of integrated motor mounts or reusing the stock ones? So far I like the BMR piece but PA is the only one offered in chromoly. I will not be ordering the a-arms because what I gathered from the searches is that these were not the greatest for street use.

Thanks in advance.
id get the bmr. dont think i have seen the chromoly pa yet. what does it weigh vs. the bmr.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

the PA one looks like ABSOLUTE CRAP! compared to the BMR one (the welds i mean). and they weight the same( actually i think the BMR mild steel is lighter than the PA chromoly one because of the integrated motor mount design.. i have a BMR one that i reinforced cause it was cracked. it just looks 1000% better. the PA one looks like it was made back in 1964.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Y did you BMR K member crack. And where did it crack. Got pics.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

The PA stuff is built very lightweight. For a serious drag racer / part time street car, it's probably the way to go.

For a street car, IMO, nothing is better than the BMR stuff. The construction is second none I've seen and the tubing is nearly twice the size of the PA stuff. With the built in motor mounts the BMR makes for some of the weight by eliminating the stock cast steal mounts.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

I have the Pro Fab (PA) chromoly K member and A arms. The welds on mine look great. It K member weighs 18 lbs 1 oz. The A arms weigh 12 lbs 2 oz. About a 40 pound weight savings.

Might mention too that I had good customer service.

I think maybe Pro Fab had some problems in the beginning with their F body parts but now they have pretty much solved their problems.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:53 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry
I have the Pro Fab (PA) chromoly K member and A arms. The welds on mine look great. It K member weighs 18 lbs 1 oz. The A arms weigh 12 lbs 2 oz. About a 40 pound weight savings.

Might mention too that I had good customer service.

I think maybe Pro Fab had some problems in the beginning with their F body parts but now they have pretty much solved their problems.
I also have this K-Member. I drove it on the street for a year with no problems. You just have to be careful.

Coach
Old 04-14-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Coach 02 A3 Z/28
I also have this K-Member. I drove it on the street for a year with no problems. You just have to be careful.

Coach
What do you mean "You just have to be careful"?
Old 04-14-2004, 09:19 AM
Motorboater

you won't have a problem if you go BMR i know that much, their stuff is stop notch.

i don't daily drive my car but i know several people that have had bmr k frame and even a arms on daily drivers and had NO problems. when i drive mine i take it all over and no problems either.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:26 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Originally Posted by Larry
What do you mean "You just have to be careful"?
When driving on the street. No hitting big pot holes.

Coach
Old 04-14-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Coach 02 A3 Z/28
When driving on the street. No hitting big pot holes.

Coach
I agree, all the aftermarket K member and A arms look somewhat weaker than our factory components. Have you or anybody you know actually bent or broke an aftermarket K member or A arm? They may be weaker but may be strong enough. Sometimes the factory components are an overkill.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how much I agree with them being weaker than stock.

I've been running the chromoly PA in my '00 since I think '01 (I was one of the first to get one that I know of) and it has given NO trouble. It served some pretty hard street duty for about 15,000 miles and LOT'S of track abuse then and since then. It has survived some fairly rough wheelstand landings too.

I may get one for my '02 daily driver.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:15 PM
JS
10 Second Club

In an everyday car I wouldnt do it..
But to each is own...
Old 04-16-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

***** to the wall! Do it dude!
Old 04-21-2004, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

I am glad you asked this as its something I was wondering also. Where is the best and least expensive place to get a BMR and a PA member?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've got just over a years worth of street driving on my BMR k-member & A-arms. No problems whatsoever, they drive great! On good road surfaces and slightly rough roads, they feel the same as stock.

I have hit a couple of big potholes, and I second the be careful warning, the car does'nt handle potholes as well with the BMR k vs. the stock k. It feels like it's bottoming out faster and the shock from the pothole is a little more violent.

Overall, it's a good mod for weight savings, just slow down going over the big potholes!!

Randy
Old 04-23-2004, 01:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Everyone I've talked to with A-arms has a lot of alignment issues. I was planning on doing Kmember only
Old 04-23-2004, 07:33 AM
10 Second Club

If you do get A-arms get the poly ends and not the rod ends for street use. Trust me you will thank me later I got the rod ends and they squeek and rattle constantly