Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendation for a more durable bias ply

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommendation for a more durable bias ply

Hello everyone. Currently running a 15x10 Weld RT wheel out back with an M&H 27x10.5x15 bias ply. I love the performance and they aren't too bad when just driving around on the street. However, I notice that the tire punctures ridiculously easy. I just put these tires on and tracked them ONCE and I can see punctures all over the tire from rocks. One of them punctured all the way through and caused a leak . Pissed me off. Again, these aren't nail or screw punctures, these are regular ol rocks that are damaging the tire. Is there any bias ply tire out there that doesn't puncture so easily??? I think its a bit ridiculous for rocks to be puncturing my tire.

I'm looking at MT ET streets and they look like they are a little thicker of a tire, therefore be a little more durable. If anybody can shed some insight and personal experience I would surely appreciate it. I'm not concerned about tire life here because I drive my vehicle very little. I'm more concerned with the overall durability of the tire instead. Thank you everyone.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a similar issue with the MT ET streets (bias). Around here the roads get tarred and chipped. The small gravel is very sharp when new and easily punctures the tires after some time on them. I always carried a plug kit around and used it more than a handful of times once I got to the track.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put tubes in and see if that helps.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

I want to stay away from tubes. Reason being is i don't want to screw the rims. I don't expect a set of slicks to be impervious to damage but I find it ridiculous that rocks picked up from the track are punching holes in brand new tires. I don't even wanna think about how easy it's going to puncture when the rubber is worn down some.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

any bias ply is going to net the same results. Tire compound is just too soft to combat road debris and inevitable damage.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Ive had that happen with drag radials and bias plys that i overheated from doing to big of a burnout. the 26" MT stiff walls i have right now i do short 3rd gear burnouts with and havent had any issues with them picking up rocks.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

That's very interesting. That crossed my mind also... The tires getting too hot and "absorbing" road debris a little easier. I'm going to try to air the MH tires down some on the street to see if that helps. I was running around 25 psi on the street because it handles better with more air pressure. Dropped it down to race psi which is about 15 psi in hopes that it won't puncture as easily if the tire isn't inflated so much.

I still may try ET Streets. I realize they are still going to puncture easily but for gravel to punch a hole on a brand new tire I think that's a little ridiculous.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

A buddy had a similar issue with Hoosiers....Knew it wasn't going to last long when they came folded up in a box

Quick Reply: Recommendation for a more durable bias ply