Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight reduction list!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch out for those diet pills... They can get dangerous and do weird stuff with your metabolism and heart. And once you are off them, you'll prolly gain the weight back. Personally I lost 70lbs on Atkins in 7 months and have kept it off for 6 months. Blood pressure is lower now then when I was an athlete in high school! Getting my cholesterol checked next week which is the BIG test. Anyway, sorry that was way off topic...

Did someone already mention replacing the front and rear windshields with something lighter?
Old 03-23-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went on Atkins also, 31 pounds to date and I feel GREAT!

Weight reduction on car AND driver!
Old 03-24-2004, 11:26 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Atkins, just don't expect to keep the weight off bro. As soon as you get back to normal carb intake, you r body, which has been deprived of it's initail source of energy(carbohydrates), will immediately restore it's glycogen deposits and put the weight back on. Sorry, but that diet is on ly for short term results. You need carbs bro, just the right kind and the right times.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dear John
Atkins, just don't expect to keep the weight off bro. As soon as you get back to normal carb intake, you r body, which has been deprived of it's initail source of energy(carbohydrates), will immediately restore it's glycogen deposits and put the weight back on. Sorry, but that diet is on ly for short term results. You need carbs bro, just the right kind and the right times.

OK - here we go Mr. Diet expert-- That's sorta the whole point of the diet, bro. You NEVER go off of Atkins. You slowly increase your carb intake until you stop losing weight. I actually know several people who used Atkins for a few months and lost a large amount and then slowly transitioned to a normal lo-fat & lo-carb diet and have been fine. After you lose the weight, it's all about calorie intake...

I've been maintaining my wieght loss for about 6 months now w/out any problems. I even went off my diet and gorged for a month between thanksgiving and New Year's. I gained 6 pounds but it only took me 2 weeks being back on the diet to lose that 6 pounds. Don't mean to direct this at you, but there is a TON of ignorance about this diet floating around. I can't tell you how many dozens of people I have come across who tell me Atkins didn't work for them because they went off of it and gained the weight back or they had no results from it. The majority of people get all their info about this diet from the news and from what people tell them which can largly be wrong. If you do the research and do the diet RIGHT, then it's almost guranteed that you'll lose weight. If you do Atkins right and go off of it and start eating crappy food again, then of course, as with any diet, you will gain it all back. Also, it's a lot easier to say a diet failed then to say that you failed to stay on the diet. This diet can also be VERY unhealthy if you do it wrong. If you eat all the fat and cholesterol and then eat TOO many carbs, then your body will absorb the cholesterol (instead of burning it with the fat for energy) and you'll be in trouble. Ultimately, it's all about finding a diet that works for you and sticking with it and taking responsibility for your own weight. Obviously, it's also important to see a doctor and get check ups. Personally, I've never felt better and am eating things I love. My blood pressure is as low as it was when I was in high school and I look great. I plan on having continued success with this diet, despite the many people (generally overweight failed dieters) who wish failure on me and every other successful Atkins dieter. The best revenge is looking better then them. Anyway, this is way off topic...
Old 03-28-2004, 10:13 PM
Sweet Cheeks

Whatever you say bro. If it's working for you then that's great, but people think carbs are bad. They're just too lazy to get off their asses and burn them. Not to mention they eat enriched products and hydrogenated oils that the human body cannot burn anyway. Lots of luck to ya. Out.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah - I like the part where I said that you shouldn't work out. Whatever doesn't turn into energy is bad - carbs or fat - your choice, that's the bottom line.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Back to talking about car weight reduction:

There are those adjustable things for the underneath of the hood so you can raise and lower the hood to make it smooth w/ the fenders/ nose

Well, there are 4 of them, 2 by the nose and 1 behind each head light.

I ditched the 2 by the nose.

4 pounds gone.

Freed up more access to radiator area.

4 lbs isn't much but that would bring the bird to 2916
Old 03-30-2004, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

One thing that could save you some weight is to take the side moldings off the doors and have them replaced with the new ones.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:01 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Originally Posted by 12secondv6
Back to talking about car weight reduction:

There are those adjustable things for the underneath of the hood so you can raise and lower the hood to make it smooth w/ the fenders/ nose

Well, there are 4 of them, 2 by the nose and 1 behind each head light.

I ditched the 2 by the nose.

4 pounds gone.

Freed up more access to radiator area.

4 lbs isn't much but that would bring the bird to 2916
What all was involved in the removal? Difficult, cutting?
Old 03-31-2004, 10:49 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Hey guys, I saw that VFN makes a Lexan windshield replacement. I always shined on Lexan because you can't tint it and it would look funny, but what about the windshield? Weight savings? Practicality? What do you guys think?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it would be a bad choice for a daily driver. I don't think it would pass inspection and you can not run in alot of classes at the drag strip.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:03 PM
Sweet Cheeks

Yeah, I was thinking about the noise too. I'll have to find weight savings somewhere else. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

12Sec, you got rid of the hood adjusters? It seems like a much smaller / lighter bracket could be made for the outside corner ones.
-Rob
Old 04-14-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey DEARJOHN I too was interested a while back ago in some lexan and I found a company called Percy's speedglass. Here is a link to their new page

http://www.percyshp.com/speedglass_p...lass_home.html

sounds like a good weight savings to me if the advertised weights specs they have are accurate. The only thing that has stopped me from getting the whole kit was that it is kind of pricey but it is supposed to be better than standard lexan.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:05 AM
Sweet Cheeks

That's what I'm talking about man. Hell yeah, I mean who would guess that your windshield is Lexan? I'm sure you could save quite a bit of weight by just doing the front. The reason I wouldn't do the rest is because you can't tint Lexan, at least I don't think. Now that's stealth bro. Anyone know the weight of just the stock windshield?
Old 04-15-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Dear John I called Percy's today and they said you can tint there lexan. I think I am going to order the kit pretty soon.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:33 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Really? How stealth is that? What is the whole kit going to cost you? What thickness do they recommend for us? Do you think you'll pick up some more street noise with the thiner Lexan "glass?" I wonder how hard it is to cut and install? We should look into this a little further because on the street, nobody would notice. You could shave nearly 75lbs just in glass! Ha.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just removing bolts, nothing difficult.

No cutting.

Very easy to do
Old 05-14-2004, 01:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Colonel
18..'99+ fuel tank for '98 cars
Does this mean that the larger 99+ tanks will fit a 98? Has this been done easily?
Old 05-17-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

I swapped in a 2000 plastic tank for the steel/aluminum(whatever it was) tank.

Quick Reply: Weight reduction list!!!