1000+ street/strip 98 ss project car

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 375 Likes on 214 Posts

Old 10-14-2018, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts

So the new shocks and springs seem to be OK.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NSFW
So the new shocks and springs seem to be OK.
Heres another quote to live buy. BUY THE BEST SHOCKS YOU CAN AND STOP WASTING SUMMERS AND TRACK TRIPS.

FML
Old 10-14-2018, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

But yes, I made 7 passes on saturday and got them real close. Was still coming up about 250-300 feet out

So I tightened the limiters and left it with 2-2.25" of total travel.

First hit still launching on 5.3/5.5 psi of boost and 3,150 rpm

Now it all makes sense. I was trying to harness a 153 mph 1/8th car this whole time. I guess thats why it would do 145/145 pedalling the **** out of it. I expected a couple mph but not 8. Thats my happiest part. Maxed the turbo out finally. 27 psi is all that it will make past 7,000 rpm.
It spikes to 29 at the 1-2 shift and then slowly comes back down to 27 in high gear.
First gear is 19 psi by .5 seconds and 27 peak at 7,000 then falls to 24.5

Im guessing its back pressure. 388 inches through a s400 chassis and going 182.x is pretty badass I guess.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome!
Old 10-15-2018, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

****** A, Kenny. Glad you got it all worked out dude... passes look like a blast. Your outro in the one video had me must have been when it actually set in hahaha
Old 10-15-2018, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bitchin'Camaro
****** A, Kenny. Glad you got it all worked out dude... passes look like a blast. Your outro in the one video had me must have been when it actually set in hahaha
I was really shocked when that 153.45 1/8th mile set in!
Old 10-16-2018, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSS4thgen
Heres another quote to live buy. BUY THE BEST SHOCKS YOU CAN AND STOP WASTING SUMMERS AND TRACK TRIPS.

FML
i swear I hate to be “that” guy, but I’m pretty sure I told you to buy Menscers like 20 pages ago lol.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Saw the original post on Facebook and followed the link here. Had a few questions.

what was your best time on the rod piston l33? Was the block filled at all? (Mines a diamond 3.8 bore with lunati rods and dart heads)
How was the power band with the ljms stage 2 and proflo? I'm going to be swapping to a bigger turbo cam over the summer. Mines small. Made peak power at 6200 and dropped off at 6400.

why swap to a Canton from a Moroso?

What point did you switch to a ms3?

all the mods on the sig and I did 690 rwhp on 14 psi on 100% pump 92.
4l80, steel DS, 28"s, 9", 18 degrees timing and unlocked converter. Going to redo some stuff over winter and turn it up.

your original rod piston l33 build is what caught my attention. Dont have the wallet to redo everything with a dart block lol.

Rear hatch is 86 pounds! Rear window is 40/41lbs. Optic armor is 11. About 30 pound savings. Ive had a hard time getting a good front weight percentage since I switched to the aluminum block. I bought this window a while ago and finally got around to it.
so you kept the stock hatch? Didnt go fiberglass?

Last edited by Spectre86; 10-16-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blk00ss

i swear I hate to be “that” guy, but I’m pretty sure I told you to buy Menscers like 20 pages ago lol.
I know. I know. There are a handful of coyote cars going 6.9-7.2 with the viking crusaders. Im not sure why they wouldnt work for me.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spectre86
Saw the original post on Facebook and followed the link here. Had a few questions.

what was your best time on the rod piston l33? Was the block filled at all? (Mines a diamond 3.8 bore with lunati heads)
How was the power band with the ljms stage 2 and proflo? I'm going to be swapping to a bigger turbo cam over the summer. Mines small. Made peak power at 6200 and dropped off at 6400.

why swap to a Canton from a Moroso?

What point did you switch to a ms3?

all the mods on the sig and I did 690 rwhp on 14 psi on 100% pump 92.
4l80, steel DS, 28"s, 9", 18 degrees timing and unlocked converter. Going to redo some stuff over winter and turn it up.

your original rod piston l33 build is what caught my attention. Dont have the wallet to redo everything with a dart block lol.

so you kept the stock hatch? Didnt go fiberglass?
The power band was weak. Went flat at 7,200. Id run a stage 3 with it next time.
I went like 8.58@159. Thats old news though. I tune a couple bottom 8 5.3 cars right now. One I helped a little on is a sbe car at 8.1@169 on an s485 and we spin it 8,000 with a sniper race holley intake and ljms 3 cam.

You do not need to fill the blocks. They are plenty strong.

I have a dart block. the canton pan was supposed to be the best pan and compared to the best for the dart block. Its a badass pan really. I just got one that was a friday afternoon pan.

Ms3 is AWESOME. Especially comparing to a stock pcm. on board 4 bar map, boost control, bump box, 2 step, theres no comparing.

It is the stock hatch 100% I just have a hard time getting nose weight now so I wanted to get a few pounds off from the rear. The window gave me .4% up front.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

The power band was weak. Went flat at 7,200. Id run a stage 3 with it next time.
I went like 8.58@159. Thats old news though. I tune a couple bottom 8 5.3 cars right now. One I helped a little on is a sbe car at 8.1@169 on an s485 and we spin it 8,000 with a sniper race holley intake and ljms 3 cam.

You do not need to fill the blocks. They are plenty strong.

I have a dart block. the canton pan was supposed to be the best pan and compared to the best for the dart block. Its a badass pan really. I just got one that was a friday afternoon pan.

Ms3 is AWESOME. Especially comparing to a stock pcm. on board 4 bar map, boost control, bump box, 2 step, theres no comparing.

It is the stock hatch 100% I just have a hard time getting nose weight now so I wanted to get a few pounds off from the rear. The window gave me .4% up front.
so dipping into the 8s with a rod piston 5.3 (stock crank) isnt that far out of reach with a good setup?

What lifters were you running on your l33 setup?

Got it. a moroso is on the list over the winter after reading a couple horror stories about the stock pan/pick up in that 8/9 second area.

when you were in the 8s with your l33, were on you the ms3 or stock ecu?

Appreciate all the info. i cant believe i read the entire thread last night. but it was pretty bad *** seeing your car go through the entire process to get where it is now.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spectre86
so dipping into the 8s with a rod piston 5.3 (stock crank) isnt that far out of reach with a good setup?

What lifters were you running on your l33 setup?

Got it. a moroso is on the list over the winter after reading a couple horror stories about the stock pan/pick up in that 8/9 second area.

when you were in the 8s with your l33, were on you the ms3 or stock ecu?

Appreciate all the info. i cant believe i read the entire thread last night. but it was pretty bad *** seeing your car go through the entire process to get where it is now.
I was stock ecu with the 5.3. stock delphi ls7 lifters.

moroso is a great plan. I had problems with the fbody. if you have clearance for a truck pan they are much better than car but very deep.

You could go 7/s with a piston rod 5.3 and an s485 at 3,000 race weight if it works.

My buddy Ive helped with has a stock bottom. never opened. ljms 3 cam and s485 running 8.1@169 on pump e85. A real simple car. 200k mile lifters.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts

I just read this whole damn thread. Every post. I didnt watch all the videos yet tho.
I have some questions and comments.

1) I like how you respond to each post and answer everyones questions. Thats awesome.
2) Why would you go back with the canton if you knew it had issues? Did you call canton? I would have pitched a damn fit and got another pan or my money back. You spent way to much money to have an oil pan not fitting properly.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
I just read this whole damn thread. Every post. I didnt watch all the videos yet tho.
I have some questions and comments.

1) I like how you respond to each post and answer everyones questions. Thats awesome.
2) Why would you go back with the canton if you knew it had issues? Did you call canton? I would have pitched a damn fit and got another pan or my money back. You spent way to much money to have an oil pan not fitting properly.
Im not too good to talk to anyone. Not a grudge guy either so any infortmation I have Ill share. I had a hard time learning the past few years because getting info out of faster guys is similar to pulling teeth.

When I sold the engine I told the guy that bought it that it sucked and offered to keep it because I didnt want to burden him with it.
I figured since Ive had it off twice already I could get it close.
I finally have it to where only one small weld leaks and the rear seaps very slowly. I bought the engine diaper and it works awesome. Havent had a drop on or under the car since. Highly suggest it.
I called them. They said it was install error. I measured it, it was short for the block. Since its recessed it is a pain in the *** mating the front and rear covers.

If I end up keeping the car I will pull it off and weld a small piece of flat aluminum to it to make the middle portion longer.
Also go along and weld the entire inside with a bead.

It is a really well designed and awesome pan. They proved it to make power over a few other pans since it has a wide shoulder and basically eliminates windage.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts

Im not too good to talk to anyone. Not a grudge guy either so any infortmation I have Ill share. I had a hard time learning the past few years because getting info out of faster guys is similar to pulling teeth.

When I sold the engine I told the guy that bought it that it sucked and offered to keep it because I didnt want to burden him with it.
I figured since Ive had it off twice already I could get it close.
I finally have it to where only one small weld leaks and the rear seaps very slowly. I bought the engine diaper and it works awesome. Havent had a drop on or under the car since. Highly suggest it.
I called them. They said it was install error. I measured it, it was short for the block. Since its recessed it is a pain in the *** mating the front and rear covers.

If I end up keeping the car I will pull it off and weld a small piece of flat aluminum to it to make the middle portion longer.
Also go along and weld the entire inside with a bead.

It is a really well designed and awesome pan. They proved it to make power over a few other pans since it has a wide shoulder and basically eliminates windage.
thanks for the reply. I think you gave up too easily. I would have done a video measuring the block and pan and installing it. And make them send me another pan. Obviously you know what your doing if you have a 7 second car, and I would bring that up.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kfxguy

thanks for the reply. I think you gave up too easily. I would have done a video measuring the block and pan and installing it. And make them send me another pan. Obviously you know what your doing if you have a 7 second car, and I would bring that up.
I did. You are right. I made a large post on facebook. They responded and wanted me to call. I called and they went over the steps how to install it. So I just hung up and let it go. It was moments of my life I couldnt get back.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

s485 1.32 VS GTR98 1.40

Old 10-19-2018, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you just do what I think you did??
Old 10-19-2018, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bitchin'Camaro
Did you just do what I think you did??
I didnt sell the car quite yet! Not putting the turbo on until It dosent sell. Ill give it until new years or so. Then Ill get to work.
But I did buy it before I went fast. I seen the intake air temp rise and knew what time it was. Turbo did better than I expected but i wouldnt mind a near or even 200mph 1/4 pass for 2019. Tall order I know. But whats life without goals?

Quick Reply: 1000+ street/strip 98 ss project car