Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When exactly is cage required

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016 | 07:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TTur1996
Thought you said you have never been to the track, with this car? How would you know how fast it is, in the quarter? If it is 800hp to the wheels. Then good luck getting it to the ground, with that set up. Or is this 800 like power, that you saw on a you tube video? Just asking, because you got me with the 9 second deal.
Ok, I'm going to try and make this as clear as possible. I have yet to run the car. The car does make 800. What I'm saying is, if 800 rwhp won't take a full weight f body to the 9 second realm then something is very wrong. Reason for me posting the video, is to give a good example of a car that is clearly making the power, but due to the drivetrain not being up to the task...they took it easy on the car....but the trap speed let's you know what the car is workin with.
Old 04-03-2016 | 08:43 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TTur1996
Thought you said you have never been to the track, with this car? How would you know how fast it is, in the quarter? If it is 800hp to the wheels. Then good luck getting it to the ground, with that set up. Or is this 800 like power, that you saw on a you tube video? Just asking, because you got me with the 9 second deal.
This. I see it all the time. Someone buys a car based off on the previous owner's statement of what it should do only for the new owner to be disappointed when it doesn't perform as they thought it would. Until you get it out there, there is no point in claiming what sort of ET it is capable of. Maybe that would fly for stock cars because that's pretty cut and dry.

OP, do you have a dyno sheet?
Old 04-03-2016 | 11:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by willizm
This. I see it all the time. Someone buys a car based off on the previous owner's statement of what it should do only for the new owner to be disappointed when it doesn't perform as they thought it would. Until you get it out there, there is no point in claiming what sort of ET it is capable of. Maybe that would fly for stock cars because that's pretty cut and dry.

OP, do you have a dyno sheet?
Here ya go sir.
Attached Thumbnails When exactly is cage required-20160216_132101.jpg   When exactly is cage required-20160216_132115.jpg  
Old 04-03-2016 | 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Me vs an 800hp SC c7 and a TT 750hp C5. The c5 trapped low 130s.

Old 04-03-2016 | 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

I like how you changed your go pro to rear facing to properly catch the 750/800hp cars passes. Knowledge and experience over money/hp right there- of course if you can combine knowledge/exp/$$/hp then your really quick lol
Old 04-04-2016 | 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

I didnt post that to brag, but merely to put that hp car in perspective for the OP. The c5 trapped low 130s, and I think the c7 was similar.
Old 04-04-2016 | 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wonder if they would let you run it to the 330 ft and not say anything to you. At least you could dial the car in some and just multiply your 330 ft et by whatever the number is and get your 1/8th mile. That number would vary depending on the car but it would give you an idea of its et.
Old 04-04-2016 | 03:42 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

I am amazed at the hate on the OP. He asked a simple question about ET vs. MPH limits before a cage and got 4 pages of lecture on why he's an idiot for not tearing up his car to put a cage in it. Plenty of high HP cars, including factory ones, don't have cages and run at the track. Is the preference to let the guy open the car up doing triple digit speeds on the street? No, its much safer at the track, and all racers understand its not just about them racing, but about the driver/car in the other lane, especially on a TNT night instead of a points night. If the OP was so inclined, he could also ask to make a solo pass with nobody in the other lane, didn't see that option posted by anyone. Does the fact that your high hp car doesn't have a cage automatically mean the chassis will flex a ton and make the car all over the track? NO.
Old 04-04-2016 | 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I am amazed at the hate on the OP. He asked a simple question about ET vs. MPH limits before a cage and got 4 pages of lecture on why he's an idiot for not tearing up his car to put a cage in it. Plenty of high HP cars, including factory ones, don't have cages and run at the track. Is the preference to let the guy open the car up doing triple digit speeds on the street? No, its much safer at the track, and all racers understand its not just about them racing, but about the driver/car in the other lane, especially on a TNT night instead of a points night. If the OP was so inclined, he could also ask to make a solo pass with nobody in the other lane, didn't see that option posted by anyone. Does the fact that your high hp car doesn't have a cage automatically mean the chassis will flex a ton and make the car all over the track? NO.
Admittedly, I'm not always the best with words. But ddnspider put it beautifully.
Old 04-04-2016 | 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I didnt post that to brag, but merely to put that hp car in perspective for the OP. The c5 trapped low 130s, and I think the c7 was similar.
If a c5 is making 750rw and won't trap over low 130s, either the numbers are grossly inflated.....or the driver is holding the car back.
Old 04-04-2016 | 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

I am amazed at the hate on the OP. He asked a simple question about ET vs. MPH limits before a cage and got 4 pages of lecture on why he's an idiot for not tearing up his car to put a cage in it.
He asked a question and got an answer, May not have been what he wanted to hear but I didn't see anyone posting anything that wasn't true. They put the rules in place to protect more than just the driver, The rules are in place to help protect everyone at the track from the driver in the other lane/spectators/track workers/camera crew and so on.
It's his choice to not protect himself but it's the tracks choice to not let him on the track. If he should have an accident and injures himself or others it opens the track up to a lawsuits for letting him on the track in the first place.
So yes it can be a serious matter and no they will not let someone run a solo run just because he doesn't want to follow the rules. The only choice he has is to run it like a slow bracket car, Come off the line easy and let up before the traps. I don't see how adding a cage in tearing up a car, They do come back out ya know and it's not like his car will ever be a collector car.
Old 04-04-2016 | 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
He asked a question and got an answer, May not have been what he wanted to hear but I didn't see anyone posting anything that wasn't true. They put the rules in place to protect more than just the driver, The rules are in place to help protect everyone at the track from the driver in the other lane/spectators/track workers/camera crew and so on.
It's his choice to not protect himself but it's the tracks choice to not let him on the track. If he should have an accident and injures himself or others it opens the track up to a lawsuits for letting him on the track in the first place.
So yes it can be a serious matter and no they will not let someone run a solo run just because he doesn't want to follow the rules. The only choice he has is to run it like a slow bracket car, Come off the line easy and let up before the traps. I don't see how adding a cage in tearing up a car, They do come back out ya know and it's not like his car will ever be a collector car.
All sarcasm aside, should a tuned/pullied z06 or zr1 cage their car since there is a high probability that they will trap higher than 135? Even though they only want to run the car a couple of times. Or should they put a cage in it, then take it back out...since it won't affect the car?
Old 04-04-2016 | 06:22 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
he asked what the rules are and the thread went from there. And plenty of people at drag strips ask to run solo either cause the car is new or they're working the bugs out of their setup. Brand new stock c7z on a tire runs 10s....must need a full cage right?
Old 04-04-2016 | 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Game ova
All sarcasm aside, should a tuned/pullied z06 or zr1 cage their car since there is a high probability that they will trap higher than 135? Even though they only want to run the car a couple of times. Or should they put a cage in it, then take it back out...since it won't affect the car?
If they plan on running the car to it's potential and it goes faster than the rules allow for a non caged car they have a few choices, Slow the car down, get a cage or not run it or find a track that doesn't care. Pretty simple really. Some not all tracks are strict when it comes to enforcing the rules other are not. Depending on the car it may hurt the value or it may not, Look at the Hertz mustangs that people rented and put a cage in to race for the weekend then pulled the cage and returned the car.... They are rare and highly collectible. Most people that take cars to the strip pretty much know they are risking the car and usually aren't overly concerned about what it might be worth in the future, Besides very few cars made today will ever be worth more than when they were new. There are to many made and the few that are going to collectable are usually already in a collectors hands. Try finding the first Z06 sold to the public, Or the first ZL1 they are probably already in storage with no added miles. Look at Rick Hendricks collection, Many of his cars were worth several times market value when he bought them new.

It's between you and the track as far as how fast you can go before there is a problem. I'm not saying don't go to the track but just be prepared to either conform to their rules as they see them, You never know what that will be until you get there.
Old 04-04-2016 | 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

he asked what the rules are and the thread went from there. And plenty of people at drag strips ask to run solo either cause the car is new or they're working the bugs out of their setup. Brand new stock c7z on a tire runs 10s....must need a full cage right?
Maybe the tracks are different where you race but most tracks have rules and enforce them, Saying the car is new or working the bugs out will work until you go to fast without a cage and then if they enforce the rules in place they are done or they have to slow down.

Like I said in my earlier post, If you show up with blown big block on alky they are probably not even going to let you on the track no matter how slow you say you will be, But if you show up with a stock appearing car and make it a point to run a little slower then you'll likely not have a problem.

You have to understand the track is a business and they risk that business if they knowingly let people break the rules. The only way they can protect themselves from someone showing up and going to fast is to make sure that person doesn't do it a second time. If that person crashes on the first run and tries to sue, The track can easily win by proving they didn't know the car was that fast and that they have a history of enforcing the rules.
You can sign all the waivers you want but the track knows that piece of paper isn't worth squat if they show a pattern of not enforcing the rules.
Old 04-05-2016 | 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

NHRA amended the rules recently to allow stock production cars to run the faster times without the required safety equipment since the car rolled off of the assembly line with the power AND safety equipment/design for said power.

Old 04-05-2016 | 10:54 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
NHRA amended the rules recently to allow stock production cars to run the faster times without the required safety equipment since the car rolled off of the assembly line with the power AND safety equipment/design for said power.

I was actually waiting for someone smart enough to post that. Excellent point, except for the fact that everyone is complaining that without a cage your chassis will twist so much that you'll hurt the driver in the other lane. I'll take a seasoned driver in the other lane with a 9 sec car modded Fbody with no cage over Joe Blow in his brand new Z06 with traction control turned off.
Old 04-05-2016 | 11:07 AM
TECH Junkie

I was actually waiting for someone smart enough to post that. Excellent point, except for the fact that everyone is complaining that without a cage your chassis will twist so much that you'll hurt the driver in the other lane. I'll take a seasoned driver in the other lane with a 9 sec car modded Fbody with no cage over Joe Blow in his brand new Z06 with traction control turned off.
Old 04-05-2016 | 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

HAHAHA. Dumb *** people and their mid life crisis. I love it when people BUY power and think they can just jump in it and go racing. This proves anything can happen at anytime. He's lucky there wasn't anyone standing at the corner of that wall. Could have been really bad.

We had a guy bring a brand new, with paper plates vette to our local track and hit the wall at the finish line. Totaled.
Old 04-06-2016 | 09:02 AM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

I agree with this. See some mid life crisis guys wearing sandals and shorts and Hawaii shirt and I get concerned lol.

Quick Reply: When exactly is cage required