Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you remove power steering yet retain the stock rack without damaging it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 11:53 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can you remove power steering yet retain the stock rack without damaging it?

I removed the power steering, but I havent decided what Im going to do about the rack and the 2 exposed fitting holes. I was going to shop around to try and find some plugs to put in the holes to plug it, but I was told that if I did that, then it would blow the seals, and that if I looped them together, that there would be air in it and the internals would fail. I was going to fill it up with power steering fluid and plug the fitting holes off and be done with it. That way nothing would get in and it would seal it off. There would be fluid in there so that everything stays nice and lubricated. Anyhow, I dont have the money for a manual rack, is there anyway that I could use my stock rack and have the rest of the power steering removed?
Old 06-29-2004, 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

i left mine unplugged and its been fine for almost a year.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:22 AM
Motorboater

i looped mine 2 years ago, no problems so far. but haven't put many miles on the car, its not daily driven
Old 06-29-2004, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has been looped for a while. I dont drive it very much, but it is holding up.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Mine is looped.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:32 PM
9 Second Club

looped here also...
Old 06-29-2004, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone remove all of the fluid, or will that work? Seems that would make less resistance.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:16 PM
9 Second Club NA

SUX2BU: I dont wanna leave mine open/exposed because I dont want anything getting in it and I dont want the fluid to spill out. I dont think that you can run the rack dry or it would mess up the internals, but Im no expert, thats just a guess.

For all that replied that you looped it, so is it not true that if you loop them together that the internals will fail? I mean, whats the difference in looping them or plugging both lines off. Either way, its not circulating anyway. I just dont wanna ruin my rack because Im sure its not cheap to replace. I might buy a manual rack later, but I want to keep what I have in there now for now. Lastly, how did yall loop it together and if you could, please post pics. Thanks.

WMSuperSport: I dont think you can run it dry because I think it will ruin the internals. Just like most moving parts, it needs lubrication. Im no expert, thats just my guess.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man I just pluged mine up and have had no issues at all. I also have 3 freinds that have done it this way also and no problems hope this helps
Old 06-30-2004, 03:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you're worrying about ruining seals by plugging it or looping it, how about plugging one of the holes and attatching a hose to the other to act as an overflow.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1BlackZ28, cause then you'll eventually lose all your fluid, I would think, and dirt could get inside. I also don't know too many people that like to shoot fluid around?
Old 06-30-2004, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WMSuperSport
LS1BlackZ28, cause then you'll eventually lose all your fluid, I would think, and dirt could get inside. I also don't know too many people that like to shoot fluid around?
About 3 replies ago you suggested getting rid of all the fluid so why would losing it be a problem
Old 06-30-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1BlackZ28
About 3 replies ago you suggested getting rid of all the fluid so why would losing it be a problem
I just mean slinging it around randomly or whenever you turn. It was just a thought. I would personally buy a Madman manual rack.

Thanks,
wes
Old 06-30-2004, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

If I still have a pic of mine I will post it this weekend. My loop is a rubber hose that goes from one of the barbs on the rack to the other barb and each end is hose clamped on.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:14 PM
9 Second Club NA

By the way, how are yall guys looping it together while still retaining the metric fittings that go into the rack? So far what I have done is went to a junk yard and cut 2 of those fittings off of a rack from a '00 Camaro (just so happen to be a 2000 model) and I went to the auto parts store and bought a foot of 3/8" tubing. I was going to cut and bend a piece to loop the fittings together and flare the ends. But the stock lines look like they have a double flare in which my flare kit only does 1. So it seems like a lot of work and hassle to go through or maybe its just the way Im doing it. How are yall doing it and is there any way you could take and post some pics? Thanks.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
By the way, how are yall guys looping it together while still retaining the metric fittings that go into the rack? So far what I have done is went to a junk yard and cut 2 of those fittings off of a rack from a '00 Camaro (just so happen to be a 2000 model) and I went to the auto parts store and bought a foot of 3/8" tubing. I was going to cut and bend a piece to loop the fittings together and flare the ends. But the stock lines look like they have a double flare in which my flare kit only does 1. So it seems like a lot of work and hassle to go through or maybe its just the way Im doing it. How are yall doing it and is there any way you could take and post some pics? Thanks.
I pulled the 90° boots off of some old sparkplug wires, cut a piece of brake line the same size as the plug wire side of the boots long enough to fit between the fittings, slid it all together and pushed it onto the rack. Then I took small black tie wraps and cinched the boot for a tighter fit. Cheap, light, and works great.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On my '67 I looped it with braided line and fittings from autozome. I drained all of the fluid and refilled it with STP oil treatment. Makes it easier to steer.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:23 PM
9 Second Club NA

Those that have taken care of this issue one way or another, is there any way you could post some pics? Thanks.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:46 PM
9 Second Club NA

Im having a hard time looping the 2 fittings off the rack. I cant think of any way to do it. I cut the 2 threaded fittings off of a rack from a junk yard, and I was going to flare and bend some tubing, but I realized that it wasnt flared ends. Everything is back together now, all Im waiting for is getting the rack sealed, looped, or whatever it takes so that I can run it without the pump without damaging it. What do you suggest I do? Thanks.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:05 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ok...most of you guys looped them together, but how are yall doing this? I just plugged the fittings up and that certainly didnt work. It was extremely hard to turn and it I could only turn so much at a time, left off, and then a little more. I took the plugs out and it was much better, but I dont want to leave the fittings exposed/open because the fluid spills out and I dont want it to run dry. Can someone please tell me how to loop them together. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Can you remove power steering yet retain the stock rack without damaging it?