Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Stock Internal A4 buid thread...10's???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Those are some good numbers!
The following users liked this post:
Magnet (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Extremely impressive hp with factory heads and cam. Getting every ounce of what you can out of it.
Magnet (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

The Romac balancer is very light and superior quality to most others other than ATI. Aluminum outer, steel inner. But it isn't a true 25% underdrive. The ATI 25% , and SLP etc are a bit smaller diameter than the Romac. The Romac needs a longer belt than the other 25% ud balancers for ls1. It is probably more like a 20% underdrive

https://www.vigilanteparts.com/Romac...-a0285sa-u.htm

You can lose more weight removing the inside door panels also, they are fairly heavy. Someone used to make carbon fiber panels to replace the door trims. Just need to move the power window/mirror switches. Not sure if they are still available. You could make your own fairly cheap out of thin aluminum sheet then paint it black

Last edited by Launch; 01-15-2024 at 07:16 PM.
Magnet (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Threadzy
Those are some good numbers!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by BFromTheD
Extremely impressive hp with factory heads and cam. Getting every ounce of what you can out of it.
Thanks! I think there’s more in it with some tweaks.

Originally Posted by Launch
The Romac balancer is very light and superior quality to most others other than ATI. Aluminum outer, steel inner. But it isn't a true 25% underdrive. The ATI 25% , and SLP etc are a bit smaller diameter than the Romac. The Romac needs a longer belt than the other 25% ud balancers for ls1. It is probably more like a 20% underdrive

https://www.vigilanteparts.com/Romac...-a0285sa-u.htm

You can lose more weight removing the inside door panels also, they are fairly heavy. Someone used to make carbon fiber panels to replace the door trims. Just need to move the power window/mirror switches. Not sure if they are still available. You could make your own fairly cheap out of thin aluminum sheet then paint it black
Interesting. Haven’t heard of this pulley before.

Yes, I’ve considered the panels but I don’t like the car to look gutted (even if it mostly is). If I could find some good carbon ones like you said I may consider it for track use only or something. There’s quite a bit of weight I could take out of this thing if I didn’t care about the car, but it’s sentimental to me and Lowe mileage 345hp blackwing SS etc so I don’t want to ruin the car either.

I’ve done quite a bit of things to remove weight before this build thread. It ran 12.5 completely stock powertrain wise because of the weight
Old 01-16-2024, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

I made aluminum double adjustable panhard bar and lower control arms. The same ones we run on our 6 speed stock internal car.

New PHB: 3.67lb
New LCA's: 2.29 each

Old PHB: 5.46lb

Old LCA's: 4.43lb each

Total Lost: 6lbs 1.8oz

Threadzy (01-16-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnet
So I dynoed the car and decently happy with it. Still some loose ends to tie up power wise, but it made 364rwhp through unlocked converter and heavy street wheels (54lbs each) which seems healthy. Dynojet SAE not a happy dyno lol

Also proved the vacuum pump concept on a stock internal car. It picked up a tad over 11rwhp over baseline with GZ Motorsports pump and set at roughly 10in on back to back runs just swapping the belt onto the pump no other changes.

we couldn’t get a clean tq number with the converter unlocked.

Looking good, should get you where you want to go. I need to get mine on the strip to see what it would do time wise, I'm 40 rwhp less and yours did 12.5 in stock trim. Need for the snow to melt here and some warm weather ha!
Old 01-17-2024, 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RMCosta
Looking good, should get you where you want to go. I need to get mine on the strip to see what it would do time wise, I'm 40 rwhp less and yours did 12.5 in stock trim. Need for the snow to melt here and some warm weather ha!
Nice! Sounds similar to this one. What’s done to the car? What plans do you have for it?
Old 01-17-2024, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Nice! Sounds similar to this one. What’s done to the car? What plans do you have for it?
Yes mine is just an older version of yours, its a '00. Presently the car has an LS6 intake, ported tb, 1 3/4" headers, 36lbs injectors and I swapped the rear end gear to a set of 3:73. I'm saving money for my next move, which would be heads, cam, bigger intake(fast 102) and everything else that goes with that type of work which will be a bunch. I want to keep the stock stall converter in it, might get some raised eyebrows for that one but I'm sure it will still make power and have good manners on the street. Just looking for a stout street car with the occasional trip to the strip. I want to have something that my boys will be able to drive when the time comes and isn't to radical. I'm hoping to get it done before they drive so I can enjoy it too.
Old 01-17-2024, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Yes mine is just an older version of yours, its a '00. Presently the car has an LS6 intake, ported tb, 1 3/4" headers, 36lbs injectors and I swapped the rear end gear to a set of 3:73. I'm saving money for my next move, which would be heads, cam, bigger intake(fast 102) and everything else that goes with that type of work which will be a bunch. I want to keep the stock stall converter in it, might get some raised eyebrows for that one but I'm sure it will still make power and have good manners on the street. Just looking for a stout street car with the occasional trip to the strip. I want to have something that my boys will be able to drive when the time comes and isn't to radical. I'm hoping to get it done before they drive so I can enjoy it too.
Interesting. Sounds fun. My Yank 3600 is pretty streetable but even if you went 3000 converter or something it would help a lot especially with a cam setup and should drive very well. FWIW I would rather have my kids burning tires at low speeds then chasing high speeds. Then again they will probably do both either way 😂
RMCosta (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

Solid numbers, Did you get it tuned when put it on dyno? Or still on stock tune
Magnet (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Its working pretty good at the moment, I'm happy but there is always more, right. I am saving the bucks to put the money into the motor, since I think I can get away with the stock convert. Maybe down the road I'd do a convert swap. I might be putting cart in front of the horse, we will see, and yes I think I'll be buying tires for mine when my guys get their hands on it. They are already saying they want to drag race it LOL.
Magnet (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shadow02SS
Solid numbers, Did you get it tuned when put it on dyno? Or still on stock tune
Yes tuned as well, sorry if I didn’t make that clear. It was drivable after the intake etc bc I changed the injector data myself ahead of time, but the tune was pretty far off. First run was aborted bc it was super lean and I believe like ~335hp at low RPMs

Last edited by Magnet; 01-17-2024 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Video for kicks and gigs. Some astute viewers may recognize the dyno/shop.

Threadzy (01-17-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Where do you have your ram air piping pulling air from? Most I see hole saw the front bumper and use a bell mouth opening. Also I see you've started cutting weight out of it, ever consider aluminum exhaust? I'd do aluminum Y pipe into a single 4" with an aluminum muffler dumped before the axle..probably be lighter than dual 3" with two bullet mufflers.. Lookup Herfurth aluminum racing mufflers, seen them compare a stainless vs aluminum exhaust and it is considerably lighter, and the aluminum mufflers give it a unique sound too
Magnet (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BFK86
Where do you have your ram air piping pulling air from? Most I see hole saw the front bumper and use a bell mouth opening. Also I see you've started cutting weight out of it, ever consider aluminum exhaust? I'd do aluminum Y pipe into a single 4" with an aluminum muffler dumped before the axle..probably be lighter than dual 3" with two bullet mufflers.. Lookup Herfurth aluminum racing mufflers, seen them compare a stainless vs aluminum exhaust and it is considerably lighter, and the aluminum mufflers give it a unique sound too
Yea I don’t like the look of the velocity stack whole saw in the front on Camaros. It looks good on Transams etc but not these. Anyways, I cocked mine to the side as you see and then plumbed it to the driver side opening of my SS grille. The velocity stack fits super snug and secure and it gets direct airflow but let’s me keep the grille/look I want. Haven’t seen anyone else do it. I can get some pics at some point for you. I did trim 2 inches off to make it fit right.

I like the idea of the aluminum exhaust. I have very minimal exhaust at this point, but would still save a little weight I’m sure. Herfurth looks like a cool company

BFK86 (01-20-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 06:58 AM
Teching In

If anyone still has an issue of GM High-Tech Performance from November 2011, you can read the articular starting on page 14 it's about the gentlemen that created that ram air set up and see how he has it plumbed in his Z-28. Useless info given by me ha!
Magnet (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

If anyone still has an issue of GM High-Tech Performance from November 2011, you can read the articular starting on page 14 it's about the gentlemen that created that ram air set up and see how he has it plumbed in his Z-28. Useless info given by me ha!
I didn’t know he was in GM High Tech but Chris aka Chrs1313 was a very active member on here back in the good old days of Ls1tech. We had build threads going at the same time back then and pushed each other to go faster. He went a good bit farther then me as he dipped into Cam only and then Heads/cam where I just kept pushing stock internals. Anyways, if you search him and look up his old threads there’s lots of good info in his build threads etc
Old 01-19-2024, 07:59 AM
Teching In

I didn’t know he was in GM High Tech but Chris aka Chrs1313 was a very active member on here back in the good old days of Ls1tech. We had build threads going at the same time back then and pushed each other to go faster. He went a good bit farther then me as he dipped into Cam only and then Heads/cam where I just kept pushing stock internals. Anyways, if you search him and look up his old threads there’s lots of good info in his build threads etc
I'll have to take a look, yes its a good article on his car and build. Its older but I'm taking some notes. If anyone is interested I'll scan it and put it up.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

I'll have to take a look, yes its a good article on his car and build. Its older but I'm taking some notes. If anyone is interested I'll scan it and put it up.
Id love to see it
Old 01-19-2024, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Ya post them up!

Quick Reply: My Stock Internal A4 buid thread...10's???