Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aerospace brake questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Aerospace brake questions

Ok, i know strange brakes are not reccomended for street use, due to the lightweight composition of it, but about the areospace kit, the street kit...

my car sees light street duty, but its often in rush hour traffic, so whats the deal. how much weight savings in the street kit, is it even worth it, do you reccomend it, etc etc etc. gimme some info to absorb. thanks!
Old 01-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Sweet Cheeks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can't get Strange it's not worth the money IMO. Good luck bro. With all that power you don't need a light car. Put that G in the fuel system.

You're going to need it.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

wtf are you talkin about? i got an NA 305 v8 from a third gen.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:02 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Aerospace brake kit is very nice. I drove the drag kit on the street for a little bit and it held up just fine. The street kit contains a vented rotor, so it should hold up a lot better. Overall they are a nice brake kit for the price.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the info derty!

im not a cheap *** and id rather get the strange, but ive just heard that they are drag for a reason and wont hold up over lots of time on the street...any opinoins?
Old 01-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Launching!

Derty,
How plug and play was the aerospace kit as compared to the strange kit? I'm looking at the strange kit since the car does not see the street anymore, is the aerospace worth the cost savings or will it be eaten up in fabrication time? Thanks.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:43 PM
The Bull

Very plug and play. The only negative versus the Strange is the rear brake flanges require you to have them pressed on with the bearings. The Strange kit fits on without pressing it onto the axles with the bearings. Other then that, it's a direct bolt on.

The reason why no drag brake will hold up on the street for a long time is heat. With a single non vented flat plate as the rotor it will warp and heat check frequently if you are in heavy traffic quite a bit. That's the main reason why no one markets a non vented rotor for street use.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:03 PM
9 Second Club

nobody has mentioned that the spindle on the Strange front brake kit requires machine work or something that runs another $200 in every case discussed on here. so add that to the already large savings of the AS kit. i was just talking to another member last week who got his AS brakes, and the only problem with the setup is the he had to open up 1 or 2 lug openings and you must cut off some bolt.......someone help me here...........on the front spindle. i think it's the caliper mount bolts or something. that means you can no longer go back to a stock brake setup unless you get replacement spindles to go put back on. hope that helps and perhaps someone can shed some more light on the subject.

later,
Dave
Old 01-17-2005, 11:02 PM
The Bull

That's pretty far off the mark. The Strange brake kit fits with no machining. You need to be able to remove the stock spindle assembly from the knuckle. That sometimes can be a royal pain in the ***. After that, the Strange spindle bolts right in. No major machining required.

With Aerospace front brakes you need to take a disk grinder to the lower most bolt tab on the knuckle and put a small groove into it. The Aerospace caliper is a little shorter and the lower ear on the caliper interferes with the bottom most edge of the knuckle. It's a simple little notch and the factory calipers will bolt back on. If you notch it correctly you will not be removing a lot of material to comprimise it. Otherwise, if you are really worried about it, call a used auto parts dealer like Weller Automotive. A set of used knuckles will run you 90 dollars or so. Just swap them out.

The instructions for both brake kits are very easy to follow and are very clear about the modifications that are required. Just take your time and fit them up before just hacking at them. It will work out just fine.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Zach, I'd go with the strange.. your car is already light so it helps... Just be careful how you brake. Brake smart as to not heat up those puppies.

I have put my strange brakes through some tough heat cycles (how about the time I made about 30 passes within a fwe hours time and ran 10's)... and they still are straight.

If for some reason you DO warp a rotor.. you buy a new one.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Originally Posted by Magnus
Zach, I'd go with the strange.. your car is already light so it helps... Just be careful how you brake. Brake smart as to not heat up those puppies.

I have put my strange brakes through some tough heat cycles (how about the time I made about 30 passes within a fwe hours time and ran 10's)... and they still are straight.

If for some reason you DO warp a rotor.. you buy a new one.