Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ET streets uneven tire wear.....anyone seen this before?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 05:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ET streets uneven tire wear.....anyone seen this before?

I have 26x11.50x15 et streets on the car. i noticed the drivers side tire has good tread from the middle towards the outside of the car, but from the middle inwards the tire is worn completely down. the passenger side tire has perfectly even tire wear. It looks like on a front wheel when the camber is off and wears the edge of the tire. anyone have any ideas how or why this is happening? here are some pics.

passenger side tire. perfect even tire wear:

drivers side tire:

Old 10-01-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your posi is shot. burnouts are unevenly wearing the side that is slipping

btw, how do you adjust camber on a solid axle?

Last edited by gator's 99TA; 10-01-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
It has to be done when the housing is made, I've only heard of it being done on 9" housings though, for road race applications of course.

Looks to me like the car has a good bit of twist and it's putting all the weight on the right rear, causing an uneven contact patch, and tire spin on the left side. But I'm no expert in that department.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:01 PM
9 Second Club

Never seen that before.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Mine was doing similar to that on the pass side (old set). Found I had lowered the car a little more on that side which weemed to give me a little more neg camber. Street tires where fine and it only showed on the dot slicks. Got it even now by measuring it and counting threads on the bolt and it is even now. Good luck man!
Dave
Old 10-02-2006, 09:51 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

I rotate my slicks every 5 pass's, helps tire life, I break the sidewall before wearing out tread.

Cheap, temp fix until u get everything fixed.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
your posi is shot. burnouts are unevenly wearing the side that is slipping

It' s a moser 12 bolt with eaton posi that only has 2 seasons of racing on it. changed the fluid at the begining of every season. i sure as hell hope it's not junk.

you can't change the camber on a solid axle. so if that is my problem my housing is bent some how.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6

Looks to me like the car has a good bit of twist and it's putting all the weight on the right rear, causing an uneven contact patch, and tire spin on the left side. But I'm no expert in that department.
the car has subframe connectors welded in but the car still leaves crooked outta the hole. it will pull up the drivers side front wheel before the passenger front. the rear suspension is stock with just coilovers in the front. maybe i need some rear suspension parts. i have some dents/creases in the quater panel from the body flexing.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i asked about the camber knowing there is no real answer.

check the posi, its an easy check. posi's on 12 bolts with stick shifts burn up easily. i burnt mine up (but it took about 200 passes). my left tire wore twice as fast as the right one (but even wear).
Old 10-02-2006, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

the car has been raced hard for 2 seasons. it could very well have over 100 passes on this rear end allready. i'll have to look into it more, the posi unit could be shot but i highly doubt it. I haven't ever seen any signs the posi was go'n bad. it allways does a straight burnout outta the water box with both tires spinning. in all the videos i have watched of my car i have never seen one tire stop spinning or anything. but maybe one tire spins faster than the other or something. but that wouldn't really explain the uneven wear.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car has a detroit locker in it and my right tire wore out before my left. It would be pretty obviouse if a locker was shot, I'm sure it would make an unbelievable racket. I always thought it was due to weight tranfer in my case, casue it comes out of the hole all kinds of crooked sometimes.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6

I think that this is the cause. Rear suspension work will correct it. An airbag in the right rear spring will help a lot. And I always rotate my slicks.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Default A check on a ....

Originally Posted by StangEaterSS
It' s a moser 12 bolt with eaton posi that only has 2 seasons of racing on it. changed the fluid at the begining of every season. i sure as hell hope it's not junk.

you can't change the camber on a solid axle. so if that is my problem my housing is bent some how.
4 wheel, laser alignment machine, will tell if the rearend is in the car straight, is bent, etc.
A HD truck frame repair shop should be able to pull the hsg back into spec.
The body wrinkles indicate the need for a cage. In order for the cage to be put in correctly, the car would have to be "pulled" on a frame machine, and have the dimensional check points re-established....
Old 10-05-2006, 04:54 PM
10 Second Club

is there a possiblillity i have a bent rim? the car gets driven on the street on these wheels also.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I Have The Same Problem Now On Two Different Sets. The Inside Wears Faster Than The Outside. That Is What I Am Worried About, Not The Right Wearing Faster Than The Left. I Still Have The Stock 10 Bolt In Mine Though. Getting Ready To Switch To A 9" Though

My Car Leaves Great, Doesnt Go Sideways Or Anything Either.

Quick Reply: ET streets uneven tire wear.....anyone seen this before?