Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Trailers, what are you using hassle free?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 08:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JLWS6
Car has a 254-262 LSK H Roller,Ken said he could not get a cam like that to Idle on the factory Computer.
We are shooting for 3100lb,Car is an Iron 408 Lunati Crank,Rods and Pistons ,Dart 225s,Fast 90/90.Comp valvetrain,Moser 12 Bolt,BMR KFrame and Control Arms,Qa1 springs and shocks,Spohn Everything in Rear,Turbo 400 lightweight drum,Bogarts,Hoosier ,Racetronix,Battery relocation,abs delete.All tied together w/Montana Bros Race Cars Cage.Looking to go NMCA.
Thanks
Ray T
Old 04-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

that won't idle at anything less then 1100 I'd venture to guess. Even with an aftermarket setup, that's still gonna idle rough. Too bad he didn't take a whack at it, I'm sure he could have got it.

Good luck with it, sounds like a mean setup.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
Mine was just the 16 footer, I wanted the smallest/lightest I could get and the 16' was plenty long for my car.

Pretty much the same thing I'm looking for.

Aluminum is just too much for what? 400lb difference? The 16O Bri-Mar quoted at weighing 1600lbs.

What did you pay for it?....that's if you don't mind me asking.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
BlueThunder2, Its just a pain loading and unloading (even with the LH escape door and a remote winch), fooling with an equalizer hitch, harder to park/store, harder to manuver in tight spaces, harder to wash and sometimes you end up spending way too much time working on the trailer I miss just driving the car on the trailer and leaving in 15 minutes. Plus you can use a smaller SUV to tow an open trailer and dont need a big truck Six of one and half a dozen of the other, both have their pros and cons..
If you had to do it again, which would you do? I like my open trailer, but constantly keep my eyes open for an enclosed.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:39 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SScam68
Pretty much the same thing I'm looking for.

Aluminum is just too much for what? 400lb difference? The 16O Bri-Mar quoted at weighing 1600lbs.

What did you pay for it?....that's if you don't mind me asking.
Mine wieghed 1600lbs, it was 1700.00 but that was three or four years ago. Steel and aluminum prices shot up the last year or so, I think list on the same trailer last time I checked was 2700 but you can buy them cheaper from dealers..

BlueThunder2, over the last 25 years I have had everything from 600.00 open trailers to 45' enclosed trailers with living quarters. It really depends what you are doing, my car is very low maintenance at the track and I really dont need an enclosed for extra tools, spare parts etc. But I have been doing more far away two day events and its nice to have the car covered up in a hotel lot or at the track when you leave it overnight and have a few extra parts in case something happens. Plus its nice if it starts raining out, you have a place to sit and watch TV..

Downside of the enclosed is these are wide cars, you need a winch or an awefully skinney *** to climb out. They are also heavy cars so a 1/2 ton pickup or SUV isnt gong to cut it if you travel a lot. Plus you can spend thousands just adding little accesories to your new trailer. Not to mention cost, but you can pick up a decent used 24 footer on racingjunk for 3500 or so with a bare interior and thats cheap compared to a new open trailer - if you have something to tow it with
Old 04-16-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

This is the trailer I have, they are probably the easiest to load a lowered car on. With a winch they are hard to beat for an open trailer.

http://www.kwikload.com/
Old 04-17-2007, 12:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
if you have something to tow it with
Look at the pics and see what you think.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47810

That's right, it's a Cummins.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

On the old trailer I used I always had the issue of my mufflers hanging on the back as it started down the ramps, that was a real pain in the ***. Always had to put the truck up on ramps in order to prevent it. I'm going to run a front spoiler on mine when I get it finished but I'm not liking the idea of taking that thing off everytime I load/unload it.

I just got an 18 ft. one that the guy who used to have it could fit a '70 Nova and his golf cart sideways on it. Fortunately I don't need a place to put tools and what not because my dad has an enclosed that he keeps it all in.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:09 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlueThunder2
Look at the pics and see what you think.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47810

That's right, it's a Cummins.
I cant see anything on LS1.com, I'm not registered
Old 04-17-2007, 12:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Texas roll back. I have loaded every thing from trucks to Slammed C-5s on it with no trouble or scratches
Old 04-17-2007, 12:16 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hrod382
On the old trailer I used I always had the issue of my mufflers hanging on the back as it started down the ramps, that was a real pain in the ***. Always had to put the truck up on ramps in order to prevent it. I'm going to run a front spoiler on mine when I get it finished but I'm not liking the idea of taking that thing off everytime I load/unload it.

I just got an 18 ft. one that the guy who used to have it could fit a '70 Nova and his golf cart sideways on it. Fortunately I don't need a place to put tools and what not because my dad has an enclosed that he keeps it all in.
Thats what was nice about the bri-mar, it has a huge dovetail and long ramps. Too many car trailers are just construction trailers with long ramps. There are dozens of nice open trailer out there though.. My enclosed has a 8' dovetail and the back of the trailer is only 8 inches off the ground (its made for 'low' race cars) I have the ramp door plus 5' extension and my nose still scrapes on the way up - firebirds have a LOT of overhang in the front. Unlike the open trailer the 'point' of the nose drags on the ramp door.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah my new trailer is way better off for a race car than the other one, it had a big drop off towards the back, this one is a pretty decent size dove tail. My car is no low rider anyway so I don't really have big concerns about the lower valence rubbing (it doesn't hang over at all hardly).

My dads enclosed is perfect for his car but if we got a chassis car/dragster we would have to jack up the front in most cases. My uncle's old Trans Am was a chassis car that sat 4 or 5 inches off the ground (91 with the pointed nose), that was a real SOB to avoid ripping the nose off and that was even with a probably 4 ft. ramp off the door.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:45 PM
9 Second Club

For those that asked heres the deal & only 1050lbs.Hope this helps someone out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...02493606QQrdZ1
Old 04-17-2007, 08:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
This is the trailer I have, they are probably the easiest to load a lowered car on. With a winch they are hard to beat for an open trailer.

http://www.kwikload.com/

This trailer is the ****. I have loaded and unloaded this trailer hundreds of times. There is actually lots of people around here with rollback trailers like this.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GueSS Who
This trailer is the ****. I have loaded and unloaded this trailer hundreds of times. There is actually lots of people around here with rollback trailers like this.

I used both last season and the true Texas roll back was nicer for many reasons

First and formost the way the fenders came off no hassel to get in the car even after it was strapped down. Just pull the pins and lift them off. Next was the fact that the Texas roll back has deck lock pins on BOTH sides of the trailer. The TR felt more sable when braking

Just MHO after using bost

Last edited by TwoFast4Lv; 04-17-2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlueThunder2
Really. I always thought that I wanted an enclosed trailer. Interesting that you say it's a pain. Can you expand on that?
I went enclosed too. The pain is getting the car in and out. I wench it both ways, because of my bad back crawling in and out of windows isn't an option.
But I love the security and the fact that I don't have to wash the car ever.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

Open trailers are nice for ease of loading/unloading but they suck when you hit a thunder storm on road, the cars get filthy with road grime.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:45 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hawkn01
Open trailers are nice for ease of loading/unloading but they suck when you hit a thunder storm on road, the cars get filthy with road grime.
Especially if you have a black car, nothing like towing through a couple short thundrstorms and showing up to an event with a filthy black car.

Or if you live up north and get caught going through some salt, or catch a rock on the windshield, or park under some power lines at a Dennys and the birds use your car as a target

My biggest fear was someone crawling underneath and swiping the blower or the trans out of the car when it was parked in a hotel overnight lol.

Pros and cons to both..
Old 04-18-2007, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
My biggest fear was someone crawling underneath and swiping the blower or the trans out of the car when it was parked in a hotel overnight lol.
Yea, it's hard to get a good nights sleep knowing what "could happen" while they sit in the hotel parking lots over night
Old 04-18-2007, 01:45 PM
10 Second Club

I use my friends 17ft dovetail to haul my car and it scratches the **** out of my bumper on the bottom side and if you don't do it just right you will really tear some **** up. Luckily I have 2 different enclosed trailers that I can borrow anytime I need them...

Quick Reply: Open Trailers, what are you using hassle free?