Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SFI 25.2 Mustang/LSx build "The Renegade"

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on standby hoping to hear about a 7 second pass. but looking out the window to see clouds and its about to rain
Old 07-27-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just got a call.
7.68 @188 on a 1.40 60'

Looks like it has more left n it too

Congrats Phil

Kyle
Old 07-27-2008, 06:51 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We went down to MIR today for a Test and tune day with our Drag radial LSx Mustang. Temps were hot, mid 90s until the rain came. After the rain came temps settled down to the mid 80s. Track was not the best it could have been but it was good. They sprayed it and drug it once maybe twice. Anywho last week at the track we made 2 passes on low boost:
8.2 @ 178
8.1 @ 170

We had issues with the TPS but its fixed now. Fast forward to today our first pass was ugly. Car pulled HARD to the left and ended up cutting the edge of the driver tire pretty good but its still useable That pass was a
5.72 @ unknnown MPH

Second run we adjusted the suspension and raised the back the car car up 3 turns and ran the same setup. That pass was alittle faster but the car still bogged out of the hole, not enough power with the bigger tires.
1.40 60'
5.40 @ 139mph 1/8 mile

We knew we needed more power so we raised the launch RPM 100 RPMs and brought alittle more boost in quicker and the time slip definitely showed it.
1.38 60'
5.23 @ 146mph 1/8 mile

That run we knew we had a 7.99 in the car if we had ran it out and the A/F was right. So for the last pass we added alittle more boost and brought it in alittle faster in what is a very soft tuneup. We were hoping the car went a 7.90 maybe an 7.80. Shawn from VA Speed lined me up and I staged the car, moved in quick and grabbed the transbrake. Car settled down, pro tree came on and I was out. Shawn said the car left VERY lazy, didn't pick up the front wheels at all. He said he had a bad feeling about the pass until we lit up the score board.....
1.39 60'
5.01 @ 150 1/8 mile
7.6 @ 188.7 1/4

The A/F on that pass was still in the high 10s and we still have timing left on the table. The tuneup was still very soft, the car didn't start to move until 330'. Looks like the LSx world just got another mid 7 second drag radial contender. Next time out we're shooting for 7.40s @ 195 and we're all expecting to get it.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Incredible times man.

Why the "soft" tune? If your data logging the run and you know that you're A/F is ~10.... why not lean her up a little?... just curious.

And if you can add timing... why not?

That car will go 40s easy....I'd set my sights on 6.90s next time out.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:23 PM
7 Second Club

We're not going for the touchdown on the first play. These drag radial cars are very sensitive to power changes. That mentality is why some drag radial cars can't get down the track even though they have been racing for years.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Congrats on the times. Welcome to the 7 Second LSX Club.

It's really cool to see the progess of the cars as people get their LSX combinations sorted.

Looking forward to more improvments.

Robin
Old 07-27-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

incredible results for such a "green" car. has it met or exceeded your expectations? your crew must have big time experience in getting a radial down the track. most guys spend years trying to get what you have done in a short short amount of time
Old 07-27-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

That is certainly rolling! Congrats Phil!
Old 07-27-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrats Phil!

And take you time there is still many days of racing left this year
Old 07-27-2008, 10:15 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robin L
Congrats on the times. Welcome to the 7 Second LSX Club.

It's really cool to see the progess of the cars as people get their LSX combinations sorted.

Looking forward to more improvments.

Robin
Thanks robin, I think we now have a starting combo for a good soft mid 7 second pass. We're working with Brian(madman) to get the 60's down and inevitably run the big number. Everyone associated with the car seems to think friday its going to go in the 40s on a better tuneup. Hell if the A/F wasn't 10:1 it probably would have ran a deep 60 or a high 50. So really we're only a 60' away.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:16 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
incredible results for such a "green" car. has it met or exceeded your expectations? your crew must have big time experience in getting a radial down the track. most guys spend years trying to get what you have done in a short short amount of time
Thanks man, we're taking baby steps and trying to record everything that happens and yes its a green combo.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:57 PM
7 Second Club

Man I really need to take a step back and thank some people.

Shawn Miller from Virginia Speed - We got our Precision turbo from Shawn man I can't say enough about him. Shawn has made the 3 hour trip every time we've gone to the track to give us a hand with the tune-up/chassis setup. Shawn is just a great guy, the first time he came down he brought his Wife and Children. He came up saturday for a sunday track rental and after finally meeting him words can't describe this guy. He asked where was a good hotel that his family could stay and we didn't even think twice and offered his family to stay at our home. Shawn looked at his wife and said "Do people like this really exist anymore?" Well brother I can't say thanks enough for all the hard work, dedication and late hours we worked a couple nights. I owe you alot.

Brian Sanford - Crew Chief/assistant - Brian has been a long time friend for some time and he has the same passion for turbocharged WHATEVER. Tractors, cars, trucks... if its turbocharged he is on it. Thanks for all the help and support at the track.

Jason @ Texas Speed - We got a bulk of our parts from Jason, this is our 2nd big build we have used him and he gets the parts out quick at a decent price.

Dan/Dave Wolfe @ Wolfe Racecraft - Thanks guys for the 25.5 chassis kit we never thought we would be weighing at 3150 without ballasts but we did.

Brian Jeffery(MADMAN and Co Racing) - Brian got us hooked up with a Fire surpression system and a couple small things and a TON of knowledge. Thanks for taking the time to help and get our combo sorted out.

Kurt Urban(Kurt Urban Performance) - Thanks for the support through the middle leg of the build and getting us pointed in the right direction with the motor. The top end setup does not push any water and the custom camshaft does everything you said it would. Thanks again man!

Mike Thompkins(T & G Performance) - Mike is a local engine builder that build everything from Ford/Dodge/Chevy powerplants. Mike did all of our Machine work on the LSx block and made a couple parts on the lathe and mill. Mike also supplied us with our Wayne Rogers Powerglide.

Joe Simpson(Tempest Racing) - Joe is a guy we've known for a while he is big into imports but loves turbochaged race-cars. He opened his shop many hours they were closed so we could use the dyno and get the tuneup dialed in. Thanks man!

Brian Brown(Quick Time Motorsports) - Thanks for the Intercooler, tank and misc v-bands.

Bob/Brant Romero(B & R Welding Supplies) Thanks for the Miller Tig, Mig and plasma cutter and all the shielding gas I could ever use.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Im with ya on Shawn being a Stand-up guy. Im proud to call him a personel friend of mine. Im also stoked to have his help building my car

Kyle
Old 07-27-2008, 11:27 PM
9 Second Club

Great job guys! Keep taking small steps, at those speeds a small mistake is VERY BAD. I guess you did blow your weight goal though...oh well, couple more psi and the difference is gone lol. Congratulations to you guys, even if it is a mustang, it still looks bad a$$ and runs like mad!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good job guys. Now lets turn it up!!!!

225-343-9029
Old 07-28-2008, 08:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well brother it has been my pleasure to help out.
You need to give yourself a pat on the back,the reason the car is so fast so quick is due to the research and planning you put into building this car.You got all the right parts and got the info you needed from all the right people.
The car responds amazing to changes,you can make a change and 99% know thats it's going to do exactly what you want.Of course that last pass was a little off,i though it would go an .80 at best.
I know we have been taking baby steps,but i'm with Madman,i thinks its time to swing for the fence next friday-7.40@200-i know its there
Old 07-28-2008, 08:33 AM
8 Second Club

Congrats Phil!

Are you going to Memphis?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by vmax1500
Congrats Phil!

Are you going to Memphis?
no he's not...ford's (even LSx powered ones) aren't welcome in the DR class
Old 07-28-2008, 08:41 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
no he's not...ford's (even LSx powered ones) aren't welcome in the DR class
That's a shame!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:43 AM
7 Second Club

Kyle,
So when is your new setup going to be ready? You should come up next time Shawn is heads our way

Car_fixer,
We're really surprised at the small steps that we took and how much time it took off the ET. When we were adding boost our we were taking out .05 seconds at a time and getting good results.

Madman,
I am going to send you a PM either today or tomorrow to see if we can extract the last .15 out of the 60' and really lay the wood down.

Shawn,
Here we go, I think for the next real street race we'll make a small change for the first qualifier to see if we can go a 7.50 with roughly the same tuneup than we'll step it up in the 2nd session since the track temps will be alittle cooler.

Brian,
Will you hurry up already and get your car done....its Sooooooo close.

Quick Reply: SFI 25.2 Mustang/LSx build "The Renegade"