Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new drag toy. 93 lx coupe carbed LS1/th400. (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good man, congrats on getting it started...It's a good feeling..Now get all the loose ends tied up and get it to the track..
Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97'-lt1
Looks good man, congrats on getting it started...It's a good feeling..Now get all the loose ends tied up and get it to the track..
Right on Kevin, it does feel good to have it running now. I just ordered a set of RCI platinum 5 way cam lock belts, custom 1pc head lights and a carb linkage piece I needed. I also need to get a th400 dip stick. The one I have is for a th350 and it does not fit correctly.

I got a few dash pieces put on today like the glove box, defrost vent and column cover. I also fired it up today and finally got the rockers covers clearanced. The motor sounds good. The little 15lbs braille battery barely starts the engine in the 55 degree shop temp. And that is fully charged. We'll see how it does.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running the same Braille battery in my Chevelle LS1 swap and it is great. It's mostly a street car, but at first I was putting it on the battery tender. Now I just drive it and let it sit. I get the car out about once a week or so. Haven't had any problems.

Nice build.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

damn i love this coupe....this car does more for me than alot of women have.....
Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stealth71
I am running the same Braille battery in my Chevelle LS1 swap and it is great. It's mostly a street car, but at first I was putting it on the battery tender. Now I just drive it and let it sit. I get the car out about once a week or so. Haven't had any problems.

Nice build.

Yeah and you live in FL lol. It gets really cold in Indy. Actually the little battery has started the car the last couple of times I started it today. I put it on a 2amp tender charger the past two days. Seam's to crank it just enough to fire it now.

I wonder what is going to happen to it when the 100+amp alternator starts spinning?? Will it fry it?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
damn i love this coupe....this car does more for me than alot of women have.....
Thanks, it's been a lot of hard work and head ache. Not to mention money. I figure if it's taking this long then might as well try to make it look pretty nice along the way. And do it right.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRracing
Yeah and you live in FL lol. It gets really cold in Indy. Actually the little battery has started the car the last couple of times I started it today. I put it on a 2amp tender charger the past two days. Seam's to crank it just enough to fire it now.

I wonder what is going to happen to it when the 100+amp alternator starts spinning?? Will it fry it?
Shouldn't. Mines running on the stock F-Body alternator whatever that is.

There was ice on my car last night when I started it and no problems.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stealth71
Shouldn't. Mines running on the stock F-Body alternator whatever that is.

There was ice on my car last night when I started it and no problems.
Wow no kidding? I am using a stock F body alt also. Glad to see it working fine and not frying the battery. Now that I've had it running a bunch of times it seems to start right up with no problem. The motor actually cranks pretty fast.

You had ice on your car in Orlando? I didn't think it gets that cold there.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Launching!

Excellent thread, and excellent build!

Congrats!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

I got a few things done over the last few weeks. I had to get a new throttle cable. The one I had was frayed and had been cut and installed wrong. We got a new lokar and measured it out then cut it to size. It took longer than I thought to do something like this, 2.5 hours by the time you figure it out and get it adjusted correctly.

I also looked over the front suspension, I greased the A frame bushings and check all the bolts. Then we looked over the front brakes. Both calipers need replaced. They stay hung up once I lift off the pedal. We checked the line to make sure one was not pinched or anything. So I'm going to replace them with reman sn95 dual piston calipers. They are also aluminum, so that's cool. I don't plan on buying the Fancy drag brakes yet!

I just got started on the console today. I cut some off of it and kept the part around the shifter and on up to the dash, around the radio and heater controls. I made a aluminum diamond plate panel to cover the heater control panel. That will be another place for switches to mount for the n2o next year. I am also going to make a plate to cover around the shifter to match. I'm also putting the pioneer CD player back in with two 6x9's in the rear deck. I want to have tunes for cruising. And for throwing in a metallica cd to get amped up before a run! LOL.

I got the new Auto Meter pro shift system installed. It seems like it is going to be a bad *** shift light. It is programmable for up to 4 gears and has a progressive **** mode the goes from yellow, orange to green when you shift. Instead of just turning one color to shift. It lets you know when it is coming up, pretty cool idea I think.

I got a stick of Jaz sfi roll bar padding and put it around any area were my melon comes in contact with the cage. And I got a new Jaz seat cover for the drivers seat. The car had one and the other was plain black. They did not match.

I got a new seat brace for the drivers seat. The one I made was in the center and was in the way of the shoulder belts. I also got grade 8 1/2" bolts for the shoulder belts.

I need to get some pics. I have been lazy about that, and the dam thing is in my desk drawer. But has dead batteries lol. I will get some up pretty soon.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:56 PM
10 Second Club

Coming along nicely man.. Congrats!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

I got the headers out the other day to Prokote to get ceramic coated inside and out. They were starting to look pretty bad after running it several times now. It's amazing how fast they start to rust.

I worked on the console a little more today. I ended up cutting off more of it around the shifter, it just did not look as good as I thought.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:11 PM
10 Second Club

I got a few current pics today. We got the rear end all buttoned up and checked out. I cut a few brackets out from under the car. I got the seats/belts in. I have to get someone to tig the new seat brace to the cage and put the radio in it. Yes, I want a radio and two speakers.

I also got the eaders back from Prokote of Indy. The look great.

I pulled it out on the street and ripped up and down the road a few times. I'm glad I put it up quickly, the cops showed up after I parked it!

Old 03-08-2009, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

The motor pics.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:36 AM
FormerVendor

I have been following this thread as well, since I am doing something very similar...mine is a GT Hatchback is teh only real difference and a T56.

I do not think your fans are gonna cut it. Track only, maybe. Street? Doubt it. Before you swap fans out, I would try a fan shroud first. Putting a "vacuum" on teh fans with a fan shroud will help cool that radiator better.

Kooks headers. Don't feel bad about them not fitting. My friends did not either, and his was a Fox Body 351W AJE Tubular KMember, 1 3/4" primaries. I know alot of people speak highly of Kooks, but I am not one of them. The first set they sent us were so far off, I had to send them back. 2nd set, was better, but I still had to dice and slice a tube and rosebud dimple a couple more to get them to fit. Needless to say, I would not buy another set of Kooks.

I just wanted to make a couple comments there, but more importantly, NICE BUILD!!!! Luv it! Like the color, rolling stock, whole package! Very nice, CONGRATS!!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

did you put the motor and trans in level? should it be level? my trans dips a little.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94 guy
did you put the motor and trans in level? should it be level? my trans dips a little.

The motor leans back slightly. Maybe a few degree's.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:03 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 94 guy
\

No, as stated, the motor should be tilted/angled down some to help with driveshaft angle. Imagine a line from teh pinion nut on teh rear end to pilot bearing in teh crankshaft. On a stock suspension type of setup, you do want teh rear end in a "nose down" angle, @ 2-3*, and that is why you want teh motor angled down slightly. If you can picture teh motor, and say it was pointed up (the back of the motor), and with your rear end pointing down, it would put teh angle of the driveshaft in a horrible position and cause all kinds of problems.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:33 PM
10 Second Club

I worked on it for an hour or so tonight and got the fenders and front bumper on it.It looks like a car again! It looks soooooo good. It needs a few adjustments to be finished so I will get pics in a few days. The fenders will need painted. They look like **** next to the fresh bumper and hood.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good thus far, I bet that exhaust is loud. I have nosy neighbors who love to call the cops on me, so I've had to devise a way to have a much quieter exhaust. My record was 18 times in a summer. I mean pull the car out and shut it off....here comes the cops. Put it on the trailer, there's the cops. All during the day from noon to 4pm or so, never late at night,etc.

Quick Reply: My new drag toy. 93 lx coupe carbed LS1/th400. (pics)