Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen BBC Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm considering running a carb on my ls1 in my camaro, I just like being able to change the jets and you can tune it for any cam or different changes, hell all you do is change the jets, set the idle screws and change the timing and you can run any setup pretty much and once you have a jet box which is cheap you don't have the hassle of going to a tuner and paying more money, plus you can tune it at the track by just changing the jets. They also make the bowls with removable screws so you don't have to remove them and if you mount the carb side ways it would be super easy to get to.

Dynos are great but real world results at the track always work best.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything you stated above can be done by me at the track with my BS3 and I don't have to pick up a wrench and I can probably do it faster because I can just plug in change whatever I need to. BS3 comes with a wide band and with the DAI option I can log all my runs to see what exactly is going on.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
Everything you stated above can be done by me at the track with my BS3 and I don't have to pick up a wrench and I can probably do it faster because I can just plug in change whatever I need to. BS3 comes with a wide band and with the DAI option I can log all my runs to see what exactly is going on.
You have to be pretty savvy with computers to dial that in, where as anyone with a screwdriver can get a carb close. But if you are comfortable with that, then it is the way to go.

The previous owner of my car went to some elaborate, laptop-tuneable setup. It seemed like every time he touched the tune, he lost ET. So after months of headaches, it went on ebay and he went to a carb and never looked back. For bracket racing it works great, but if you are doing some crazy heads up class or plan on going to forced induction or nitrous, the EFI has its pros.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Pack of jets = 10 bucks, laptop or bs3 whatever that is and it's how much?

I'm not rich like you guys I'll be going carb on mine lol.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Fabbing up a fuel system this weekend so I'll have more pictures hopefully next week of a twin walbro setup, fuel lines, rails, regulator, etc.

Going to have to take a break for a while and switch my attention over to my motorcycle. I got tagged this morning by a 5 gallon bucket blowing across the freeway. Have to buy new bodywork now, but at least I can try out a new paint scheme

Old 03-28-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

That's bs, glad you didn't crash I had a 2002 busa, love bikes =)
Old 03-29-2008, 09:56 AM
7 Second Club

i had the BS3 and a procharger on mine... as you can see im converting back to a carb and nitrous
Old 03-29-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

My friend runs a blow through carb and centrifugal on his and it runs 8.30's on a 275 60 15 drag radial, the efi vs. carb debate has gone on forever, all I know is if pro stock can run a carb so can I

My friend wants to go turbo on his 18* sbc nova, so we may or may not be getting into the efi stuff, personally I'll try to talk him into a procharger and blown through carb. EFI is awesome but damn it is expensive.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BadBoo79
The carb is not too bad to work on, and once you get it dialed in, you won't be changing jets that often. Another solution is to run a 1050CFM 4150 style carb with a 4500 base plate. That will bring the float screw and the bowl out from under the cowl. Quick Fuel told me that unless you are running a heads-up class, the slight difference in performance would not matter.
First off, you have a beautiful car and setup. Very nice!! As far as the running any kind of adapters or anything like that I can't because of hood clearance. If I wasn't concerned about the hood I would throw a VFN 4" hood on it.

For distributors, I just have a billet MSD and that works fine; I just have to take the cap off to get it in the car.
That's good news, how much room above the cap do you have? I'm hoping that I don't have to cut the bottom portion under the wipers for clearance.

To get all of the clearance, we had to do this...
While it looks great and very clean, I wanted to keep the wipers and stock hood so I chose not to go that route.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
i had the BS3 and a procharger on mine... as you can see im converting back to a carb and nitrous
Why are you converting back? Several people are having great luck with BS3 and forced induction. Is there an issue with getting it all dialed in? You tuning it or having someone else tune it?
Old 04-13-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Past couple of weeks have been busy, got the twin disk in so I can finally get the engine balanced and also got my dual walbro setup put together thanks to Mighty Mouse. Pulled the rear end out, sanded and painted it. Still have to touch it up and I'm painting the diff cover black with the LG logo in silver. Hopefully everything will be back in the car within the next couple weeks so I can start wiring everything up and finally get it started.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:30 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a double pumper in my car, similar to yours. People talk about them heating up, so I aimed my return line at the pumps and zip-tied it in place so they would have some flow over them even if they weren't submersed in fuel. Not sure if it helps, but it can't hurt and only cost me 1 zip tie.

Looks like a pretty sweet project. Keep us updated.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:33 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ That's a good idea. I'm going to keep that in mind when I do mine soon.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

ulakovic22, I found out that it was not the fuel that was causing the problem but the polly lock for the number 5 intake rocker broke so in other words my number 5 was not getting fuel.

I think the taping I was hearing was the rocker bouncing around and yes the lifter cam out and the pushrod bounched all over the cam and trashed it.

New motor will be bumped up in compression but will still stay on race gas. 12.1 you can run good pump gas but its risky if you ask me unless you back the timing off and all.

I forgot about the cowl on the 4th gens so yeah messing with a carb would be a little bit of a pain, I have seen most people just cut the plastic cowl area out and that helps a lot.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

very nice build!

is that 10 bolt really going back into a BBC car?? not knocking you or anything buddy, but i think with it will break the first time you go WOT
Old 04-14-2008, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I have a double pumper in my car, similar to yours. People talk about them heating up, so I aimed my return line at the pumps and zip-tied it in place so they would have some flow over them even if they weren't submersed in fuel. Not sure if it helps, but it can't hurt and only cost me 1 zip tie.

Looks like a pretty sweet project. Keep us updated.
Yeah I plan on doing that as well. I lifted up the top hose clamp and slipped the return between the two pumps originally. I like the idea of a zip tie though, so I'll probably zip tie it to the Y block as well.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
very nice build!

is that 10 bolt really going back into a BBC car?? not knocking you or anything buddy, but i think with it will break the first time you go WOT
Yeah, unfortunately it is for now. I don't think it will last very long either, but I would rather use what I got and get the car at least running than keep dragging the project on for an additional 3 months while I save the money for a Midwest 9" package.

I'm praying that it doesn't break when I go WOT and I'll have street tires in the beginning so hopefully it will just spin. I counted the teeth yesterday and for some reason the guy that had the car before me swapped in a 3.23 rear end. I know this because the RPO code on the door was GU6. At least it means I'll get better mileage before I swap to a 4.10, LOLOL
Old 05-14-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

Got some more work done on the car over the past couple of weeks and it should be going into the car this weekend after I get some new head gaskets. Anyway here is where I'm at right now.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Looks great, I can't wait to start getting my BBC parts, how much hp do you estimate, that size motor cam isn't that big, what do you think it'll peak at around 6500?
Old 05-14-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, probably right around 6500, shift around 6800 or so depending on how far it pulls past peak. I'm hoping for about 800-825 fwhp, the cam is small because I still wanted to drive it on the street occasionally. If it was dedicated drag then I would have gone a lot bigger on the cam and would plan on spinning it a lot higher.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen BBC Project