Sponsored by:

Harness on stock seat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 07:49 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harness on stock seat?

Can I put a 5 pt. harness on a stock seat and be legal for tech?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never had any problems with it, and we have a very strict tech.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should pass but is not that safe. The shoulder straps can slip if you need to test them for any reason.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

If those shoulder harnesses slip off your shoulders in a rollover event.....thats a BAD thing. Trans Am seats work ok, Camaro seats no.

You really need a race oriented seat where the belts come through the back of the seat.

David
Old 06-02-2008, 04:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
If those shoulder harnesses slip off your shoulders in a rollover event.....thats a BAD thing. Trans Am seats work ok, Camaro seats no.

You really need a race oriented seat where the belts come through the back of the seat.

David
AMEN!

For a long time I have wondered why people would want to run stock seats if they go quick enough to need a rollbar and a 5 pt. harness. Besides not being as safe as a true race seat, they look somewhat. . .

Just IMHO of course. Don't mean to offend anybody. I just figure if you have the time and money invested in a car to get it to run low 11 E.T.s and quicker, why would you want to have those heavy assed stock seats still in there? For that matter, why not ditch the rear seats as well and save some weight.

Flame away if I stepped on any toes, but I would like to hear some reasons why anyone would not get some light weight race seats. You don't have to get uncomfortable Kirkey aluminums, there are Corbeau and Sparco, as well as many others that are fairly comfy as well as light as a feather. I just don't get it. Seen many pics of setups with rollbars/cages, harnesses, and all the other race gear like gauges, shifters, and even relocated batteries, yet there are those out of place GM seats.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:00 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

I'm fat, I like stock seats. I don't race often enough to justify race seats. The only reason I even want harness' is to shut up the tech guy.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TS6
I'm fat, I like stock seats. I don't race often enough to justify race seats. The only reason I even want harness' is to shut up the tech guy.
You can buy seats like mine, I got $500 in both seats with brackets and all.

Do a search for Hunsaker seats.

I am a Fatboy, 5 foot 11 310 lbs, I fit in them just fine.

David
Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

You can buy seats like mine, I got $500 in both seats with brackets and all.

Do a search for Hunsaker seats.

I am a Fatboy, 5 foot 11 310 lbs, I fit in them just fine.

David

Are they really comfortable? How is the incline? I'm almost 6'2", just over 300 lbs, I like my seat to recline a little. Basically where I set my seat now is all the way back and down (power seat), and reclined against my Wolf 6 pt.

If my fat *** could lay off the cheeseburgers I'd be running 8's and ****! Oh well, its easier to lighten a car than to lose weight.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TS6
Are they really comfortable? How is the incline? I'm almost 6'2", just over 300 lbs, I like my seat to recline a little. Basically where I set my seat now is all the way back and down (power seat), and reclined against my Wolf 6 pt.

If my fat *** could lay off the cheeseburgers I'd be running 8's and ****! Oh well, its easier to lighten a car than to lose weight.
With the seat slightly reclined and all the way back I can barely reach the gas pedal and cant put it all the way on the floor. I have to move it forward.

They are pretty comfy to me.

David
Old 06-02-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run in a class where it is mandatory to run the stock seats and at least a roll bar. On the Firebirds the harnesses work fine and will not move around if you run them tight (like you are supposed to). On a Camaro you have to make a hole for the belts to pass thru to be legal. Any good upholstery shop can do the holes at a reasonable price.

Take Care,

Daren
Old 06-02-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GIZMO
I run in a class where it is mandatory to run the stock seats and at least a roll bar. On the Firebirds the harnesses work fine and will not move around if you run them tight (like you are supposed to). On a Camaro you have to make a hole for the belts to pass thru to be legal. Any good upholstery shop can do the holes at a reasonable price.

Take Care,

Daren

This is also NOT a good idea, there is no support structure in the rear of the seat for this, in a rollover event the belts will rip the seat until they become straight with the mounting point. Making them loose.

David
Old 06-02-2008, 05:42 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think NHRA/IHRA would have already checked out the stock seats and their possible downfalls before making the rule hundreds of cars would have to confine to. I run stock seats in my Nova and the shoulder belts pass through my headrest area and don't have any movement in them once tightened down.

Derek
Old 06-02-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Villain281H
I would think NHRA/IHRA would have already checked out the stock seats and their possible downfalls before making the rule hundreds of cars would have to confine to. I run stock seats in my Nova and the shoulder belts pass through my headrest area and don't have any movement in them once tightened down.

Derek
That seat is made like a Firebird seat, it is the top of the seat, it has structure to hold the seat up, through the back of a Camaro seat does not.

David
Old 06-02-2008, 07:43 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

David, can you post a link to where you got your seat and brackets?

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

This is also NOT a good idea, there is no support structure in the rear of the seat for this, in a rollover event the belts will rip the seat until they become straight with the mounting point. Making them loose.

David
Elaborate.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Elaborate.
Ok well think of it this way. The holes going threw your seat and over your shoulders are mounted at lets say 50" from the floor. And the harness is mounted on the cage at 60". When you crash the harness is gonna tension and just rip straight up threw the seat 10"'s till it gets to the 60" mounting point because the seat is not designed for this and is pretty much just filled with foam. Making it pretty much useless as there would than be tons of slack in your belts. Hope that makes a little bit of sense. O and the numbers are just made up for explanation purposes.

Last edited by c0ncEpT; 06-02-2008 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TS6
David, can you post a link to where you got your seat and brackets?

Thanks!

http://www.hunsakersports.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=194

You can get brackets from Scat/Procar.

I bought my brackets off of E bay, they are Corbeau brackets.

The same brackets also fit 3rd gens.

Mount the Hunsaker sliders to the bracket.

David
Old 06-03-2008, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by c0ncEpT
Ok well think of it this way. The holes going threw your seat and over your shoulders are mounted at lets say 50" from the floor. And the harness is mounted on the cage at 60". When you crash the harness is gonna tension and just rip straight up threw the seat 10"'s till it gets to the 60" mounting point because the seat is not designed for this and is pretty much just filled with foam. Making it pretty much useless as there would than be tons of slack in your belts. Hope that makes a little bit of sense. O and the numbers are just made up for explanation purposes.
"All roll bars must have in their construction a cross bar for seat bracing and as the shoulder harness attachment point;cross bar must be installed no more than 4 inches below, and not above, the driver's shoulders or to side bar" (NHRA rule book).
Old 06-03-2008, 07:35 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

David, can you/did you mount the crotch strap to the seat? Or is it mounted to the floor?
Old 06-03-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TS6
David, can you/did you mount the crotch strap to the seat? Or is it mounted to the floor?

It is mounted through that brace in the floor with an eyebolt and an 2 big thick washers. ALWAYS mount it to the floor.

David

Quick Reply: Harness on stock seat?