Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dynoed the Z06 today...... Not Happy!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:00 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Doug you are something else man. Your post whoring capabilities are unprecedented.

To the OP, the peak #'s are not all that bad. I do 425-430 in C5 Z06's with my cam choices. Which FYI, are much smaller than the X3 . Anyway, I didn't even look at the # when I saw your graph, but more so the UGLY curve. Thats what I would be concerned with, more so than peak #'s. TQ under the curve is what gets the car moving, HP takes over after TQ has done it's job.

I don't think any mechanical swap should be in order just yet. Get somebody more experienced with tuning to look at your file and see if any changes need to be made, especially down low. Was there any MAF tuning done? VE? Or did he just set timing and PE and roll with it?
Old 05-14-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Damian
Doug you are something else man. Your post whoring capabilities are unprecedented.

To the OP, the peak #'s are not all that bad. I do 425-430 in C5 Z06's with my cam choices. Which FYI, are much smaller than the X3 . Anyway, I didn't even look at the # when I saw your graph, but more so the UGLY curve. Thats what I would be concerned with, more so than peak #'s. TQ under the curve is what gets the car movin, HP takes over after TQ has done it's job.

I don't think any mechanical swap should be in order just yet. Get somebody more experienced with tuning to look at your file and see if any changes need to be made, especially down low. Was there any MAF tuning done? VE? Or did he just set timing and PE and roll with it?

Damian I've had about enough of the whoring comments.

You show me where I said the g5x3 cam is bad and I'll accept your comments.

The point of swapping cams from the g5x3 to the VRX4 is to achieve longer life with the valve springs, better under the curve power at a cost of losing peak power, and being able to have a decent cam that doesn't require flycutting with my heads that Travis was intending to buy. The milled afr 205's make more power then stock ls6 heads, bump compression making for better lowend tq, and will more then offset the lost power by swapping from g5x3 to vrx4. Also better drivability, and again longer spring life can be expected since the vrx4 is more spring friendly then the g5x3.

Well it all seems all for nothing because Travis has most likely lost his shot at my heads anyways. I have another buyer, but the heads are available until the guy deposits some money. No money, no hold.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:32 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Doug, the cam stuff wasn't directed towards you. But I think almost everybody that frequents this forum can agree, you're the biggest post ***** in this forum (the dyno section). I was just making light of it though. I don't care either way who you post for or what it's about. Don't take it personally

Swapping the VRx4 isn't the solution to this cars problem. Usually when "a buddy" tunes some bodys car, there's more to be had. I'm willing to be there's some hidden gold in a better tune.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys thanks for all the info and comments. I will be having another tuner scan the car just to see if there is something that might have been overlooked. Doug don't worry about the long post brother I appricate you trying to help. If you have another buyer for the heads by all means get the money bro. I'm still not sure if I could get them or not, still waiting to see if work picks back up.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Doug, the cam stuff wasn't directed towards you. But I think almost everybody that frequents this forum can agree, you're the biggest post ***** in this forum (the dyno section). I was just making light of it though. I don't care either way who you post for or what it's about. Don't take it personally

Swapping the VRx4 isn't the solution to this cars problem. Usually when "a buddy" tunes some bodys car, there's more to be had. I'm willing to be there's some hidden gold in a better tune.
I agree with you bro. I didn't take it personally thats why I said it with a smiley.

As far as the cam selection you are both correct and incorrect. Correct that the solution to Travis's problem isn't going to the vrx4 to make more power then the g5x3 but is the solution if he was going to try to run my heads w/o flycutting. I've already stated that the vrx4 makes less peak power then the g5x3 you must've missed it. So with that being said the vrx4 is a compromise to run my heads w/o flycutting. I hate having to repeat myself. No knock on lgm, and no whoring for VR. Just pointing out a viable option for Travis to look at for good power, drivability, and no flycutting. Did you forget that the milled afr 205 will make a lot more then the stock ls6 head ?? Its solution to his problem thru compromise. Travis would gain more then he loses in more ways then one.

Stay cool Damian. BTW can I get an invite to stop by and see your operation when I am at VR in June??
Old 05-14-2009, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vols Fan
Well guys thanks for all the info and comments. I will be having another tuner scan the car just to see if there is something that might have been overlooked. Doug don't worry about the long post brother I appricate you trying to help. If you have another buyer for the heads by all means get the money bro. I'm still not sure if I could get them or not, still waiting to see if work picks back up.
No worries Travis. Good luck with the car. Feel free to contact me in the future. I may be able to help you out with something even if it isn't coming directly from me. Later bro.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL at this rite der. ^^^

To the OP. Put it back on the dyno and start taking timing OUT. Looks like it has too much, esp down low, and then from 5500 up. Some of them make more power with less.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those numbers seem about right.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
LOL at this rite der. ^^^
Ed, I've sang the praises of you and your shop a few times too. Since I'm a ***** how about throwing me a $100 for my services. Hoe's got to eat too.

All kidding aside Ed, I only give credit where credit is due. You and your shop have gotten mentions because from everything I've ever read you run a clean and honest shop and turn out pure quality. Keep up the good work.

On another subject, what do you think about Travis changing cams to run some milled heads that would require flycutting if he kept the g5x3 ?? It was a compromise of power lost (cam swap) for power gained (head swap) and an overall better combo.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:01 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're really interested in dyno numbers, I mean, who isn't, it's a nice ego boost, go light. Light flywheel, light wheels/tires, remove the belts for the dyno runs, inflate the rear tires to 40+ psi and I bet you find another 20-30 hp on the dyno.

Then you can shoot for the mystical highest cam only dyno number.

Hey, we all need something.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not shooting for huge or mystical dyno numbers, I just want my car to make what its suppose to make with the mods it has. I don't think this is all the car has in it the way it sits. To the poster who said take timing out how much and whre exactly? Doug how much flycutting do you think it would take to run your heads on my current cam because I found a guy that will flycut my pistons for $80?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not shooting for huge or mystical dyno numbers, I just want my car to make what its suppose to make with the mods it has. I don't think this is all the car has in it the way it sits. To the poster who said take timing out how much and whre exactly? Doug how much flycutting do you think it would take to run your heads on my current cam because I found a guy that will flycut my pistons for $80?

I am not sure. My stock ls1 pistons were cut .080 I believe. Can't remember if it was the intake, exhaust or both sides. LGM did it in 2005 for a little added protection (PTV clearance) when they did the g5x3 install for me.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

On another note, my heads are supposed to be sold, but I haven't heard back from the buyer and my pm wasn't answered. No deposit either. First 200 deposit takes/saves them Travis.

Just make sure you talk to a couple sponsors to guarantee that the g5x3 will have enough PTV with flycutting, and which gasket. Will you have to run a .056 gm or can you get away with cometic .040 to keep the compression up ?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

Thats fine I'll have the ptv checked next week to see where I am at right now. Next week the car will be getting a completely new tune from the ground up. We had been just trying to tweek the tune that was in the car from the original owner. My buddy is going to go back through the tune and look at the timing all across the rpm band and see if it has too much at any point. So by the time G13 rolls around next weekend I hope that I am much happier.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well Travis I just checked my pm's and the "buyer" s tuner is concerned about compression. All he needs to do is use .056 gaskets and he'd be at 11.2 to 1.

If you can get the money together (200 deposit) the heads will sit at Vengeance waiting for you to pay the balance. Call me if you aren't busy, I'd rather tell you on the phone vs posting this next bit of info.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

I would be willing to bet that it would have to be the .056 gasket. I would love to get those heads on my car but I'm just nervous to pull the trigger. I wish I could see the future and know what the next 6 weeks at work held.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

You and me both. THe only way I am able to afford this trip and modding session is the OVERTIME I have been getting. I pay my bills and live on base pay. I spend my OT on the car. LOL. So if I don't keep getting OT and I get stuck with the heads I will be a bit short. I'll have to work that out with Ron and Mike at Vengeance if it happens.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Travis,

Just my two cents. I would have the tune looked over again before you do anything else. But if you want the AFR's, get them as they are great heads.

But I would advise that you have it done right the first time. I know how money can be tight with modding as you try and make everything happen at once, but it pays to have it done right the first time.

If you get the heads, check your clearances. Mine cam is only a 230/228, but the lower LSA required me to flycut. My pistons were cut .050. With the stock gasket and my heads, I am ~ 11.3 CR.

I have talked to you in the past through PM's at the other site about all of this. You know who cut my pistons, and I thought his price was more than fair.

All I'm saying is use someone reputable if you can if you decide to go that route, even if it costs a few dollars more. It makes it easier in the long run.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah BJ is going to re-write the entire tune next week to make sure he hasn't missed anything. I would like to buy these heads from Doug if the money would allow it.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Yeah BJ is going to re-write the entire tune next week to make sure he hasn't missed anything. I would like to buy these heads from Doug if the money would allow it.
I know you want them, and if you can afford them then go for it. But don't put yourself in a bad situation over them either. You will always be able to buy heads if you can't get them at the moment.

Nothing against allngn as I would have bought something similar if I didn't find mine, but don't extend yourself. I know I probably sound like someone's dad, but stuff like that is why a lot of people are in trouble at the moment in this economy.