Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Step inside to gain knowledge!!!! Detailed A/B comparisons with results!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I figured you have done so (selling the parts) and that should recover a pretty coin.
I'm glad you have strengthened your dif, still be careful of high rpm launch because they are not bulletproof.
Anyone analizing your runs should really look at the trap speed, that would be the truest testament to power laid down.
I am not really sure of the intake lobe of the G6X3 but it looks similar to a LSK which is not that much more agressive than LSL you are running (.006>.050 variance is the same at 50 it is at .200 that there is a slight difference 160 Vs 158 lift).
So I doubt that your LG cam is that much more agressive and that it would give you less reliability on the valvetrain. Lift is not a sole indication of agressiveness, lobe design, rate is. Valvetrain has to be properly centered (geometry) and matched and as long as it is so, reliability is pretty much very similar.
Bottom line Doug, those 2 cams are very much almost identical, yours has 2.5* less overlap, Same 9.5* IVO and a bit later IVC (partly why you lost trq).
I very much believe that had you fine tuned the G6X3 after the head swap, you probably would have made more power and the cam swap result you see now would have tilted a different way. But again that would have been marginal.
Please understand that I am not criticizing to be negative but to point out that the major gain areas were headers, head/rocker swap. The cam was not really necessary.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As usual Predator, you really did a good job explaining the technical side of things. Not being a smart *** either, I am serious. You really know your ****. At any rate, I had kicked the idea of keeping the LGM g6x3 cam but had my reasons for not keeping it. Irregardless of your very articulate explanation, I wasn't impressed with how the cam sounded in the motor (g6x3) too much labor on the valvetrain. Post cam swap the laboring was gone. Very quiet. Not sure how much tuning had to do with it, but you could ask Mike at Vengeance for his opinion. Either way I am happy. Gained 2 rwhp but lost 2 rwtq and have a much quieter valvetrain. Impeccable idle, but you said that was from tuning. Mike, can I get an assist.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:54 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Doug, as long as you're happy and you felt the money was well spent, then it was.

Whats the weather like up there right now? Cool enough to get some decent runs in? Just getting some mph runs will give an indication on how the car is performing. You should be able to hit 128-129mph even in the summer heat with that setup.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
As usual Predator, you really did a good job explaining the technical side of things. Not being a smart *** either, I am serious. You really know your ****. At any rate, I had kicked the idea of keeping the LGM g6x3 cam but had my reasons for not keeping it. Irregardless of your very articulate explanation, I wasn't impressed with how the cam sounded in the motor (g6x3) too much labor on the valvetrain. Post cam swap the laboring was gone. Very quiet. Not sure how much tuning had to do with it, but you could ask Mike at Vengeance for his opinion. Either way I am happy. Gained 2 rwhp but lost 2 rwtq and have a much quieter valvetrain. Impeccable idle, but you said that was from tuning. Mike, can I get an assist.
It is not only from tuning, that would have taken care of your low rpm manners. The rockers with proper preload and better wipe on the valve tips is what made your valvetrain a bit quieter. Basicaly a better valvetrain geometry and preload.

Your swap is very informative and proves how certain parts when properly matched can make a world of difference.

One thing your cam benefits the setup is that along with the headers it biased more towards the exhaust, helping the gases to exit in a more orderly fashion, therefore reducing reversion a tad. Sometimes slight differences will make noticeable difference.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I truly never drove the car before the install was complete and then I started tuning it. I started from scratch and worked with it from there. We did not check the old setup except to remove it so I do not know if Valvetrain setup was a issue. We originally switched the camshaft and I thought the cam would gain lower end TQ which it did have spots of 10RWTQ gain and have the same or similar topend which it did. The camshaft was setup more toward drivability than dyno queen. All and all I am happy with the overall setup and gains and more importantly my customer is. We have done this many times on different setups this is just the first time it is being exposed so much.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Predator thanks again for the eloquent comments

Mike I am glad you chimed in and commented here. Its nice to see you come in and explain first hand what we had talked about. I'd like to remind everyone that I am very happy with my setup and that I got a lot more then my monies worth from this trip to Vengeance Racing. I got a rebirth of the love affair I have with my car. Laugh if you like, but if you don't love driving an lsx then go buy a Honda.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Damian
Doug, as long as you're happy and you felt the money was well spent, then it was.

Whats the weather like up there right now? Cool enough to get some decent runs in? Just getting some mph runs will give an indication on how the car is performing. You should be able to hit 128-129mph even in the summer heat with that setup.
Hey Damian, its sunny and warm. Low 80's with a cool breeze. Would be nice to get some practice runs. I need to get more intimately acquainted with this car at the track. It will be our first time together at the track so I plan on popping her cherry soon.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:27 AM
FormerVendor

Predator thanx again for chiming in. Let me elaborate that the cam swap was not performed strictly to achieve more horsepower. The overall goal of the swap was better drivability/less stress on the valvetrain and no loss in power.. Any gains would be a bonus... While the camshaft selected may only be "slightly" less aggressive, it is none the less... less aggressive. There was no shimming of the valvesprings for them to support the lift as there was on the AFR/G6X3 combo.

In regard to drivability, Im confident Mike could have tuned the G6X3 to run very well. I dont think it would have run as well as the camshaft in the car now. If anyone can tune an LG cam it would be LG and this car did buck/surge/high idle when it arrived.

As for a loss of power with the cam swap Im at a loss as to why you say that... We lost 3 to 5 rwtq below 4000rpm, but picked up over 10rwtq from 4000 to almost 5000rpm and then maintained similar power thru redline... So, Doug lost 3 to 5, picked up over 10rwtq in certain spots, the car drives better, springs arent shimmed to support the .650 lift camshaft and Doug is happy.... Seems like everything worked out in Dougs favor.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

+1 on that Ron.

Correct me if I am wrong but I recall picking up 1.75 rwhp and losing 2.11 rwtq PEAK numbers and as you already stated there were areas under the curve that we had double digit gains. A;so the valvetrain is whisper quiet in comparison.

To echo your comments on my happiness, I have previously went on record as saying I have a strongly renewed love affair with my car. Just like the day I signed the papers and dumped the cash on the sales persons desk. He acted like he'd never seen that much cash before. LOL

FYI, I am already thinking about more power. Now how to get it, spray 100 shot or larger displacement 440. I'll have to fwd some of the offers I've received in my PM box. This thread has stimulated some serious attention for Vengeance Racing and my car.

But for now I need to get a day that I can go to the track and see what I can do. I just want to get her down the track in a straight line and go from there. FWIW I'll be making passes on Michelin PS2's and then swapping to Nitto DRs for comparison. I've recruited a buddy with a truck and he'll assist me with the swaps. Stay tuned.

Thanks for everything Vengeance Racing. To remind everybody, I paid for all work completed, nothing was free except the tuning and that was only because Mike felt that because I was coming from a very reputable shop that the tune wouldn't require much tweaking. Thanks Mike.

One last thing, you guys missing the burgers and chicken breasts yet?

Last edited by allngn_c5; 07-07-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:01 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, I am already thinking about more power. Now how to get it, spray 100 shot or larger displacement 440.
Just slap a blower on it bro!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

That would require me to sell my TFS 215's switch to sometihng to reduce compression. I do like the way you think. Just trying to stay N/a but spray isn't really n/a now is it. FI is a viable option. I need to quit Bs'ing, I'm happy and need to work with this for while. Stay tuned for track times. I'll definately do a seperate thread on the results.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would require me to sell my TFS 215's switch to sometihng to reduce compression. I do like the way you think. Just trying to stay N/a but spray isn't really n/a now is it. FI is a viable option. I need to quit Bs'ing, I'm happy and need to work with this for while. Stay tuned for track times. I'll definately do a seperate thread on the results.
As usual, I am lurking..Ron, we love the comparisons..and Doug, you can keep your trick flows and get TT's! I have trick flows with my set up!
Old 07-07-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FSTPOON
As usual, I am lurking..Ron, we love the comparisons..and Doug, you can keep your trick flows and get TT's! I have trick flows with my set up!
Great idea Melissa, but I thought FI needed lower compression? I am at 11.39 to 1 ...... Aren't you running Meth too so the IAT's are kept in check? If I were to go FI, I want a simple tame setup that doesn't require meth.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

you got my cell number.......

Great idea Melissa, but I thought FI needed lower compression? I am at 11.39 to 1 ...... Aren't you running Meth too so the IAT's are kept in check? If I were to go FI, I want a simple tame setup that doesn't require meth.
You could get away with it, specially since your pistons are dished. timing would definately have to be backed off. you wouldnt have to run as much boost to make the same power on a lower cr motor.

the problem is, you would be happy at 6psi................................... for awhile
Old 07-07-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ LOL ^^^ John !!!
Old 07-07-2009, 04:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance

In regard to drivability, Im confident Mike could have tuned the G6X3 to run very well. I dont think it would have run as well as the camshaft in the car now. If anyone can tune an LG cam it would be LG and this car did buck/surge/high idle when it arrived.
Im not the best tuner in the world. There are better tuners out there, and dougs big 95mm TB threw me a curve ball. I use a stock LS2 TB for a reason, they drive very well. The RX 95 was a pain in the ***, and from the sounds of it, I didnt get it spot on.

the springs arent shimmed to support the .650 lift camshaft
I shim every spring according to the cam. new cam=recheck valvetrain and spring heights.

Like I told doug, I wish I would have been given the opportunity to do what you guys did. Im sure he would have been happy. We have texas women here..... I think Hes into the Georgia women more....
Old 07-07-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

^^^ LOL ^^^ John !!!
ill put them to good use. gotta love the double time pay for the holiday plus all the normal overtime

seconds never bother me. hahahahahaha
Old 07-07-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Louis
Im not the best tuner in the world. There are better tuners out there, and dougs big 95mm TB threw me a curve ball. I use a stock LS2 TB for a reason, they drive very well. The RX 95 was a pain in the ***, and from the sounds of it, I didnt get it spot on.

I shim every spring according to the cam. new cam=recheck valvetrain and spring heights.

Like I told doug, I wish I would have been given the opportunity to do what you guys did. Im sure he would have been happy. We have texas women here..... I think Hes into the Georgia women more....
Louis you are a great tuner !!! I think the results you got me in 2007 speak volumes !! I just feel with the high level of business at LGM you were not able to devote the kind of time you would've like to devote for my car because so many things were going on at once (Alms, Jasons car, etc etc etc). I realize now that one man can only do so much. In retrospect I have a better view of things. I do wish I would've been more patient and waited to talk to you first, but its a little too late for all of that. Thanks for all the things over the years, and I feel terrible the way our friendship/business ventures ended. Just to remind everyone, the lgm big 3 catback flows like an SOB !! Hands down best flowing catback available. Just add some DMH cutouts for when you need the sound at wot to go from mild to wild !!
Old 07-07-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

The stuff I did with her last night was X rated Ed. In other words NWS LOL
If it's a large file, I can provide an email address or ftp...
Old 07-07-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jmilz28
If it's a large file, I can provide an email address or ftp...
Hey bro, I didn't want any evidence of the stuff we were doing. J/K it wasn't anything to brag about. Pretty avg girl with a pretty avg Kink. Thats about as far as I can go.

Now back to the kick *** job Vengeance Racing did on my car !!!!

Quick Reply: Step inside to gain knowledge!!!! Detailed A/B comparisons with results!!!