Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

2011 5.0 Mustang Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
the mach 1 kept up just fine. I think its funny that people use the forced induction excuse. People always looking for excuses, if it isnt weight, its the disparity in the size of the engines, or its forced induction or god knows what else. Dont be mad that Ford builds tough engines that can withstand forced induction and incredible power levels. Live with it.
dont get me wrong man, I'm on your side on this arguement. I'm a former Terminator owner
Old 04-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bww3588
whats your point? the stock internals of the Cobra motors are forged. no **** forged internals are stronger than cast...
My point is that they do not need replacing in order to make huge numbers. They come from the factory at FORD. Chevy isn't the only auto maker that is worth a ****.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Launching!

you make it sound like GM guys are the only ones that bitch....i like how when a ford motor makes more power than a chevy motor, the ford boys are all up in arms about how great it is to have a 4.6 that whipped a 5.7, but when the chevy engine makes more power, they are all butt hurt because they only have 4.6L's and its not fair. id rather be a crybaby than a hypocritical crybaby.
im not a hypocrytical crybaby. Reread my post,my "disparity of displacement" was aimed at the people who complain about displacement.anybody.

GM guys always say things like "ford needs forced induction to make power, let me see them do it N/a" but when ive beaten some GM cars i always get "well yeah, you have a big block". it seems no matter what people come up with some excuse.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DieselNuts
dont get me wrong man, I'm on your side on this arguement. I'm a former Terminator owner
my bad. I thought you were making excuses why some fords make so much power.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

GM guys always say things like "ford needs forced induction to make power, let me see them do it N/a" but when ive beaten some GM cars i always get "well yeah, you have a big block". it seems no matter what people come up with some excuse.
Ford guys always say things like, "well you have XX amount more displacement, its not fair!!!...but when i beat ford guys, they say well, wait till i get my supercharger, then we will race...."

im not pulling this **** out of my ***, the #1 and #2 excuse with ford guys is the lack of displacement and lack of supercharger.

and the #1 excuse of chevy guys is, "you have a supercharger, not fair!!!"
Old 04-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Ford guys always say things like, "well you have XX amount more displacement, its not fair!!!...but when i beat ford guys, they say well, wait till i get my supercharger, then we will race...."

im not pulling this **** out of my ***, the #1 and #2 excuse with ford guys is the lack of displacement and lack of supercharger.

and the #1 excuse of chevy guys is, "you have a supercharger, not fair!!!"
thats what i mean though there will always be some kind of excuse, even when its n/a vs n/a. I dont think a GM guy should see an n/a 4.6 vs n/a 5.7 (6.0,6.2) as any more fair than a FI 4.6 vs n/a 5.7 (6.0,6.2)
Old 04-17-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

There will always be fanboys on both sides. Even when I was younger I realized how pathetic the arguments from both sides were...now I realize that some people never learn because their head is either too far up their own *** or their too busy swinging from a car company's imaginary *******.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ There's some truth to that. But i don't like the idea of switching from Ford to Chevy or
or whoever makes the next fastest car. I rather see people be more brand loyal. I could never see how someone with a mustang switch to a camaro or vette just cause its a tenth faster. I hate front runners..lol. The kind of guy that would give you up in a fox hole..lol. If you're a chevy guy then stick by your guns and be proud of your car. Racing is completely based on guys " swinging from a companies ******* " as you put it
Old 04-17-2010, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DieselNuts
I wouldn't go too far about Ford making unbeatable motors. Even the stock '03 cobra wasn't overly impressive. It took a pulley kit, tuning, an x-pipe upgrade and other mods to make it a runner. My buddy bought a new one and at Atco raceway he only got a best of 12.6 with DR's. After his mods he got down to mid 11.'s which was nice. And it's not like the motor was a strong NA motor with a blower bolted on. It was setup for a blower from the factory. LS motors use cast pistons with high compression and isn't setup for FI, but if you dont over do it and don't beat on it from every light the LS1 can last a long time on boost.
I can't see why Ford does just install an NA 5.4L motor. Then Ford guys can't cry that the LS1 has more cubes and GM guys can stop crying about blowers.
I just always thought the 4.6L motor should run better since they have over 220 degree's of duration on the intake side of their cams. My 2002 LS1 only had 196 degree's of duration. 220 cams in an LS motor will make around 380rwhp. Now thats a strong motor. Most guys will admit the more you beat the LS1 the better they run
Old 04-17-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't wait to see one on the road and bait him. But then again I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a V6, V8 or year model they make and sell so many.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
^^ There's some truth to that. But i don't like the idea of switching from Ford to Chevy or
or whoever makes the next fastest car. I rather see people be more brand loyal. I could never see how someone with a mustang switch to a camaro or vette just cause its a tenth faster. I hate front runners..lol. The kind of guy that would give you up in a fox hole..lol. If you're a chevy guy then stick by your guns and be proud of your car. Racing is completely based on guys " swinging from a companies ******* " as you put it
the brand of the car is irrelevent. All that matters is if you like the car and youre satisfied with its performance and thats it. These car companies are all large corporations and probably would prefer that we all junk our older cars and go out and buy their new ones.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Launching!

I wouldn't go too far about Ford making unbeatable motors. Even the stock '03 cobra wasn't overly impressive. It took a pulley kit, tuning, an x-pipe upgrade and other mods to make it a runner. My buddy bought a new one and at Atco raceway he only got a best of 12.6 with DR's. After his mods he got down to mid 11.'s which was nice. And it's not like the motor was a strong NA motor with a blower bolted on. It was setup for a blower from the factory. LS motors use cast pistons with high compression and isn't setup for FI, but if you dont over do it and don't beat on it from every light the LS1 can last a long time on boost.
I can't see why Ford does just install an NA 5.4L motor. Then Ford guys can't cry that the LS1 has more cubes and GM guys can stop crying about blowers.
I just always thought the 4.6L motor should run better since they have over 220 degree's of duration on the intake side of their cams. My 2002 LS1 only had 196 degree's of duration. 220 cams in an LS motor will make around 380rwhp. Now thats a strong motor. Most guys will admit the more you beat the LS1 the better they run
not sure where you get your cam specs but:

GT cams:
Intake: 197 deg dur/.466 LIFT
Exhaust: 197 deg dur/.456 LIFT
114° LCs

96-98 Cam Specs:
Intake: Primary Lobe 196 duration (at .050)/ 390 lift
Secondary Lobe 206 duration (at .050)/ 390 lift
Exhaust: 196 duration / 390 lift (at .050)
114° LCs

99/01 Cam Specs:
Intake: 194 duration (at .050) / 392 lift
Exhaust: 194 duration (at .050)/ 390 lift
114° LCs

Mach 1, 03/04 Cobra, Aviator, Marauder.
Intake: 184 deg @ .050"/0.394" lift
Exhaust: 196 deg @ .050 / .394" lift
114° LCs

FR500 Cams
lift, .472 “ [12mm] both intake and exhaust
intake duration adv 258, 212@.050
exhaust duration adv 254, 208@.050
109° LCs

2000 Cobra R:
intake: 212 dur@.050/.510
exhaust: 212 dur@.050 /.474
Old 04-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Launching!

as you can see, even the ford GT only had 212/208 duration and theres people out there making over 1400RWHP without even removing the valve covers. Stock long block only difference is intake and exhaust (turbo).

Theres people making 700rwhp in the GT500 (with a supercharger upgrade) which use the Ford GT heads and 03/04 cams 184/196 duration. And look at that puny .392 lift, i dont see LS guys making that kind of power with a supercharger and cam close to that. (i dont know what the limit is to the mod motors lifts though btw)

And the new 5.0 heads are supposed to be even better than the Ford GT heads!

Last edited by MauriSSio; 04-17-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with you 100%, but the bang for the buck in the mod department was unbeatable with the Terminators. I was at 460hp/tq with about $500 worth of mods. Not to mention you could add a 75 shot of nitrous and gain close to 200ft lbs of tq.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Teching In

i look at it this way, yes the new mustang might be fater and whatnot stock, but its just like in the diesel world comparing the duramax to a cummins, stock the duramax can do better, but it costs a lot more to mod. the heads on the duramax are maxed out, you port them and maybe gain 50-75 hp you do the head on the cummins you gain around 100-125. not to mention how much cheaper the cummins is to mod. i look at this comparison the same way, stock for stock the gt might be cheaper and faster, but once it comes to modding it i think no matter how you cut it the camaro will come out ahead. just my 2 cents
Old 04-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Teching In

and btw quoted from f-body online "Yup, GM announced they will produce the 2011 z28

GM Confirms the 2011 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Is a Go - Chevrolet Reports

556 horses with 551 torque, whoever owns this supercharged beast will be seeing GT's in the rearview mirror. Not too mention its going to be lighter than the SS models.

and the competition continues.... "
Old 04-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackBird327
i look at it this way, yes the new mustang might be fater and whatnot stock, but its just like in the diesel world comparing the duramax to a cummins, stock the duramax can do better, but it costs a lot more to mod. the heads on the duramax are maxed out, you port them and maybe gain 50-75 hp you do the head on the cummins you gain around 100-125. not to mention how much cheaper the cummins is to mod. i look at this comparison the same way, stock for stock the gt might be cheaper and faster, but once it comes to modding it i think no matter how you cut it the camaro will come out ahead. just my 2 cents
as an example: the Saleen only has pullies, exhaust and a mild tune (50 state legal) otherwise the engine is the same as the GTs and it traps at 116MPH. Theres still potential in the 5.0, it doesnt come maxxed out from the factory like many believe. Is there more potential in the LS3? probably but the new 5.0 is going to be a strong base for a car, and any way you cut it, 116mph traps from such minor mods is plenty quick for most people!! I personally think that the pony war is going to shift more towards overall performance and driving dynamics over just speed since modern power seems to be easily taking tires past the limit, especially for average drivers.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackBird327
and btw quoted from f-body online "Yup, GM announced they will produce the 2011 z28

GM Confirms the 2011 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Is a Go - Chevrolet Reports

556 horses with 551 torque, whoever owns this supercharged beast will be seeing GT's in the rearview mirror. Not too mention its going to be lighter than the SS models.

and the competition continues.... "
the way thats worded, it makes it sound like people need a Z28 to beat a regular Mustang GT. Its good that GM is finally coming out with a camaro that makes similar power to a base model GT500, its about time! you think itll cost more than a base corvette since it should be faster than one just wondering?
Old 04-18-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

the way thats worded, it makes it sound like people need a Z28 to beat a regular Mustang GT. Its good that GM is finally coming out with a camaro that makes similar power to a base model GT500, its about time! you think itll cost more than a base corvette since it should be faster than one just wondering?
Can I remind you that the camaro is kicking *** of the GTs since a long time, its about time they get a real engine for their pony car. Stock for stock, the Mustang was way underpowered vs the LS1 till NOW. You make it sound like Ford is dominating the Camaro since the start. Cobra wasnt that much faster than a LS1, sometimes slower, and it costed more to buy.

Wait until it hits the streets before making it the street king. LS3 is a superior engine with 10 hp more. The mustang is still down on hp numbers my friend on LS3.

My money is still on the LSx engines.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Dont worry, GM is not stupid like Ford to make a pony car pricier than a Corvette. Dont get too excited, they trap the same thing now, not like a poor 2010 GT with 105mph trap speed vs a 111mph LS3 SS. Its not like the new GT is 6mph faster than the SS 2010...

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 Mustang Dyno