Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

2011 5.0 Mustang Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
I have to laugh when people say "with bolt-ons and a tune" when referring to the Mustang. The car already runs on the ragged edge, you can't get more aggressive with the tune. It's their new adaptive spark control technology:

The adaptive spark control system keeps the engine running right on the knock sensor all the time, continuously adjusting the spark advance to avoid detonation regardless of the fuel used.

And I honestly don't believe ARH is getting similar gains from long tubes that the LS1's got. The Mustang engine is too efficient to pick up a whole lot more power. The BMEP is too high. More efficient than the Ferrari Enzo. If they get another 50-60hp out of this car without raising peak power rpm,then they will have surpassed F1, Cup, and Pro-stock technology. Call me crazy but I don't see it happening with "bolt-ons and a tune" haha.
LMAO there are people out there making well over 500hp with old school carbbed 302's, what makes you think that the DOHC 32 valve 5.0 is maxed out from the factory??? and its tune as well??? that is a rediculous statement. Also, GMHTTP got a whopping 12hp from long tubes on their LS1. The stock manifolds on the LS engines flow pretty good. similar to short tube headers. The 5.0 has some similar to mid lengths

BTW a lot of sanctioned racing leagues have restrictions and rules to limit power....

Last edited by MauriSSio; 04-14-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
Do you understand how SAE Certification works??

Do you understand what being in the wards top ten engines means? And the fact it makes more power than than OHC of equal displacement?? which OHC of equal displacement did they compare it to just wondering?
probably the smaler 5.3 over the 5.4....just a thought.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LMAO there are people out there making well over 500hp with old school carbbed 302's, what makes you think that the DOHC 32 valve 5.0 is maxed out from the factory??? and its tune as well??? that is a rediculous statement. Also, GMHTTP got a whopping 12hp from long tubes on their LS1. The stock manifolds on the LS engines flow pretty good. similar to short tube headers. The 5.0 has some similar to mid lengths

BTW a lot of sanctioned racing leagues have restrictions and rules to limit power....
You obviously don't understand brake mean effective pressure.. and I really don't feel like explaining it again.. but I will.

Your example of 500hp from a 302 is irrelevant without knowing where peak HP occurred. Well, actually, I know where it occurred. At 7500 rpm or higher. Why? Because that's the only place an NA 302 CAN! Let me explain:

The dohc 5.0 is being released with a 194 bmep at peak torque. At peak power (415 which occurs at 6500 rpm) you need 335 ft/lbs of torque at 6500 rpm. That equates to a bmep of 167 at peak power, pretty stout! To make 450 rwhp (up from the 395 that mag got, just 55hp more, or 517 brake horsepower) you need 418 ft/lbs at 6500, which creates a bmep of just under 209. With a similar torque curve, that is going to put the peak torque bmep over 230!

In other words.. it ain't happening, and your a know nothing internet racer. As far as the tune is concerned, Ford said it themselves. They are already constantly running these engines on the brink of detonation as it is, and their compression is already way up there for a street engine.

There won't be much to find in "bolt-ons and a tune." That's physics. If you still don't believe me, I've been meaning to talk to you about this gravity thing too.

If you want to make 500hp like the old school carb guys the only way to do it is to raise your peak power up 1000 rpm or so and shift the mustang at 8000-8500 rpms. Now you just bought 4 cams and paid someone to go through the heads. At this point, it would have been easier and cheaper to say **** it and gone FI.

That's why you will not see "bolt on and tune" 2011 Mustangs gaining a ton of power. It's really just not there to be had. If you want to go into the engine and build a purpose built high rpm N/A screamer, then that option is there.. but you will get less power for more cost than just bolting up a vortech, and without losing bottom end for the street.

So if you want to reply to this MauriSSio, PLEASE have something to back up your claims besides "well this car did this once," especially when I can blast it right out of the water.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
You obviously don't understand brake mean effective pressure.. and I really don't feel like explaining it again.. but I will.

Your example of 500hp from a 302 is irrelevant without knowing where peak HP occurred. Well, actually, I know where it occurred. At 7500 rpm or higher. Why? Because that's the only place an NA 302 CAN! Let me explain:

The dohc 5.0 is being released with a 194 bmep at peak torque. At peak power (415 which occurs at 6500 rpm) you need 335 ft/lbs of torque at 6500 rpm. That equates to a bmep of 167 at peak power, pretty stout! To make 450 rwhp (up from the 395 that mag got, just 55hp more, or 517 brake horsepower) you need 418 ft/lbs at 6500, which creates a bmep of just under 209. With a similar torque curve, that is going to put the peak torque bmep over 230!

In other words.. it ain't happening, and your a know nothing internet racer. As far as the tune is concerned, Ford said it themselves. They are already constantly running these engines on the brink of detonation as it is, and their compression is already way up there for a street engine.

There won't be much to find in "bolt-ons and a tune." That's physics. If you still don't believe me, I've been meaning to talk to you about this gravity thing too.

If you want to make 500hp like the old school carb guys the only way to do it is to raise your peak power up 1000 rpm or so and shift the mustang at 8000-8500 rpms. Now you just bought 4 cams and paid someone to go through the heads. At this point, it would have been easier and cheaper to say **** it and gone FI.

That's why you will not see "bolt on and tune" 2011 Mustangs gaining a ton of power. It's really just not there to be had. If you want to go into the engine and build a purpose built high rpm N/A screamer, then that option is there.. but you will get less power for more cost than just bolting up a vortech, and without losing bottom end for the street.

So if you want to reply to this MauriSSio, PLEASE have something to back up your claims besides "well this car did this once," especially when I can blast it right out of the water.
whoa calm down there killer youre getting yourself WAY too excited there, like a lil chihuahua ready to yap at whatevers there. When did i specifically say that the 5.0 will gain A TON OF POWER?? BTW those dyno numbers are crap and you know it. The car is not making 395rwhp (theyre the same ones who dynoed the GT500 at a bit over 500rwhp stock when they make closer to 470), it probably did on THAT specific dyno but this engine is SAE Certified to make 412hp and its trap speed indicates that it is indeed making that much at the crank ( =370ish RWHP). Im sure a few bolt ons will raise the power a decent amount (its superior heads indicate theres still some more power to be had) and we will see Mustang GT's commonly hit 11's with minor bolt ons and good tires probably at 114-115mph hopefully, which is plenty fast. Dont get all hot and bothered by it though!!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bww3588
probably the smaler 5.3 over the 5.4....just a thought.
id like to see a link to that award.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Banned

whoa calm down there killer youre getting yourself WAY too excited there, like a lil chihuahua ready to yap at whatevers there. When did i specifically say that the 5.0 will gain A TON OF POWER?? BTW those dyno numbers are crap and you know it. The car is not making 395rwhp (theyre the same ones who dynoed the GT500 at a bit over 500rwhp stock when they make closer to 470), it probably did on THAT specific dyno but this engine is SAE Certified to make 412hp and its trap speed indicates that it is indeed making that much at the crank ( =370ish RWHP). Im sure a few bolt ons will raise the power a decent amount (its superior heads indicate theres still some more power to be had) and we will see Mustang GT's commonly hit 11's with minor bolt ons and good tires probably at 114-115mph hopefully, which is plenty fast. Dont get all hot and bothered by it though!!!!
Yeah, sorry for going overboard there.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:15 AM
10 Second Club

MauriSSio,
Thats true, every car does has it short comings. I admit i don't like Ford cars or trucks.
But if you look how nice looking the GMC Terrain for example and the Chevy Equinox as far as little suv's and compare then to the Ford Escape, there's no comparison. I'm a fan of most American cars. For a while now when driving i compare GM's vehicles to Ford and Dodge. Even Chrysler products look an feel alot higher quality then most Ford cars. Last night i drove in a 2007 Mercury Mariner and i was shocked how choppy its ride was. I was in the back seat and i feel the motor or the tranny vibrating through the truck. It's things like that that causes people to buy foreign cars. The only thing that saves Fords' asses is they have very very loyal customers. Ford claims they sell so many cars, well they don't tell you that a good chunk of their sales are fleet sales. States, townships and DOT's buy batches of vehicles. Not that they sell a better car, its just that they're willing to sell their product for less. Now that's good business, so i give Ford a lot of credit for that.
But most of friends or family that bought a Ford product sold it after 2 years. There's no shortage of low mileage 1 or 2 year old cars on used car lots. I always found it funny that Fords claims they win all those awards for " Initial Quality "...lol. Well i'm more interested in how a car holds up after a few years. lol.
But it is true that no car is perfect for sure.

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 04-16-2010 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrp1978
ITS ******* ALL THAT MATTERS!!!!!!
I agree, might be coming out right around the time ill be needing a new car also
Old 04-16-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

btw, i see a lot of people on this board going with the iron block for its extra strength characteristics, but why do that if the stock block is good for 1000hp??? kinda redundant aint it???
because most want the 4 inch bore and cast iron is cheaper. not because the aluminum block wont take 1000 hp, it will and has many many times.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
MauriSSio,
Thats true, every car does has it short comings. I admit i don't like Ford cars or trucks.
But if you look how nice looking the GMC Terrain for example and the Chevy Equinox as far as little suv's and compare then to the Ford Escape, there's no comparison. I'm a fan of most American cars. For a while now when driving i compare GM's vehicles to Ford and Dodge. Even Chrysler products look an feel alot higher quality then most Ford cars. Last night i drove in a 2007 Mercury Mariner and i was shocked how choppy its ride was. I was in the back seat and i feel the motor or the tranny vibrating through the truck. It's things like that that causes people to buy foreign cars. The only thing that saves Fords' asses is they have very very loyal customers. Ford claims they sell so many cars, well they don't tell you that a good chunk of their sales are fleet sales. States, townships and DOT's buy batches of vehicles. Not that they sell a better car, its just that they're willing to sell their product for less. Now that's good business, so i give Ford a lot of credit for that.
But most of friends or family that bought a Ford product sold it after 2 years. There's no shortage of low mileage 1 or 2 year old cars on used car lots. I always found it funny that Fords claims they win all those awards for " Initial Quality "...lol. Well i'm more interested in how a car holds up after a few years. lol.
But it is true that no car is perfect for sure.
youre right Ford does have a lot of fleet sales at a lil over 39%, but GM is right behind them at over 32%
Old 04-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
because most want the 4 inch bore and cast iron is cheaper. not because the aluminum block wont take 1000 hp, it will and has many many times.
i see, well there you go i just learned something new!
Old 04-17-2010, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Thats true...i don't hide how i feel about mustangs...lol, but i am looking forward to driving in a new 5.0 GT. Actually last summer Echelon Ford in Stratford, NJ had an awesome looking 2008 silver w/blue stripes Shelby KR It cost a lot more than i thought it would, but it was one best looking cars on the road.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I'm doubting the 395 rwhp numbers based on the trap speeds that I've been seeing. If they start hitting 115+ mph then I'll believe it.

What did your Cobra trap?
112 when it was bone stock but I'm not the best drag racer by any means.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 66deuce
well all you Ford guys were butt hurt when the LS1 came out and stomped the Mustangs back in the day..it's our turn now,lol..
HAHA! You're right about that. I always thought it was funny that the Fords required forced induction to keep up with Chevy's n/a engines.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

You say that like it's no big deal...I'm curious if you do it with a straight face (hard to tell through the computer). The GTO's came out weighing 3725 and everyone flipped out saying they were fat pigs. Then the GT500's came out in the 3900 lbs range and they caught nothing but **** from the GM guys. Now that the Camaro weighs that much it's suddenly ok, though...
Very good point

I've never heard anyone say, "I want that car, it weighs as much as a house."
HAHA! I lol'd hard at this.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DieselNuts
HAHA! You're right about that. I always thought it was funny that the Fords required forced induction to keep up with Chevy's n/a engines.
the mach 1 kept up just fine. I think its funny that people use the forced induction excuse. People always looking for excuses, if it isnt weight, its the disparity in the size of the engines, or its forced induction or god knows what else. Dont be mad that Ford builds tough engines that can withstand forced induction and incredible power levels. Live with it.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bww3588
thats well over 700 at the crank....be it as it may, the 5.0, LSA/LS9/LS3 is no slouch. but there is a lot more potential cost wise and ability wise in the LS motors. the 5.0 is still limited to displacement.
I've seen an 04 Cobra with stock everything minus a twin turbos and fuel system make 874RWHP. (Stock block, cams, crank, pistons. Basically, everything internal was stock.)

The GT500's stock internals are good for 1000rwhp. Both of these are well over 1000hp at the crank....so what's your point?

This thread is suppose to be about the new 5.0 engine anyway. This thread has been all over the damn place because of chevy fanboys being all butt hurt and getting their panties in wad.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
And the stock '03 cobra only ran mid 12's on a good day. Drop a $600 torque converter in a bone stock LS1 f-body and run mid 12's. It's only after you port the blower, add a smaller blower pulley, better exhaust to get the cobra in the 11's.
Are you serious? I've seen a bone stock (paper filter and bs goodyear eagle tires) Terminator cobra run 12.34 in the 1/4. A pulley and a box tune alone will put it into the 11's with the right driver. Add an intake, dyno tune and some tires and you're looking at mid 11's no problem.

This thread proves that there are a lot of straight up fanboys on this forum, not auto enthusiasts.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DieselNuts
I've seen an 04 Cobra with stock everything minus a twin turbos and fuel system make 874RWHP. (Stock block, cams, crank, pistons. Basically, everything internal was stock.)

The GT500's stock internals are good for 1000rwhp. Both of these are well over 1000hp at the crank....so what's your point?

This thread is suppose to be about the new 5.0 engine anyway. This thread has been all over the damn place because of chevy fanboys being all butt hurt and getting their panties in wad.
whats your point? the stock internals of the Cobra motors are forged. no **** forged internals are stronger than cast...
Old 04-17-2010, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

the mach 1 kept up just fine. I think its funny that people use the forced induction excuse. People always looking for excuses, if it isnt weight, its the disparity in the size of the engines, or its forced induction or god knows what else. Dont be mad that Ford builds tough engines that can withstand forced induction and incredible power levels. Live with it.
you make it sound like GM guys are the only ones that bitch....i like how when a ford motor makes more power than a chevy motor, the ford boys are all up in arms about how great it is to have a 4.6 that whipped a 5.7, but when the chevy engine makes more power, they are all butt hurt because they only have 4.6L's and its not fair. id rather be a crybaby than a hypocritical crybaby.

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 Mustang Dyno