Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dyno Tuned "El Torro"

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG
There is something amiss I would say. I made 21 hp/3 tq less than you and I only have bolt ons and am a stalled auto too. This was on Mike's dyno as well, when he was in Florida. I know it sucks, but I would pull the front cover off again and check your timing set.
I think that is the route I am going to take as of now... Just to make sure that it is lined up and then go from there.. I really thought I would hit at least 400rwhp...

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Keep in mind this is STD numbers and your SAE will be 5-10 hp lower. Maybe you have a vacuum leak somewhere, that would cause idle issues, or if you are running in closed loop you could have an exhaust leak before your o2 sensors. I highly doubt your cam is off a tooth as the power / torque curve looks spot on. Try to check your IAC motor on the throttle body, they get plugged up with carbon after a few years. Clean the thing out with some brake cleaner and that may help. What exactly is wrong with your idle?
It still wants to die at certain times.. while driving and then coming to a stop some times it will die and other times it is fine.. I also didn't think that I would have to my idel at 850 either... thought I might be able to get it lower than that but if it is any lower the car will die more often.. I will check out my IAC and see what I can find there...

Originally Posted by SSmoken
i wouldnt worry about dyno numbers. let the time slip do the talking. sounds better when your run an 11.x, own the streets, and then they find out you only made 375hp instead of 400hp.
this is very true.. but really am I gonna be able to run mid to low 11's with 375rwhp?? I guess I just really wanna find out if something is wrong with the car or not...

Originally Posted by chrs1313
guys this is my actual cam so we know it can make power...

and for the idle it should have no problem at all right around 900rpm...it was actually a great street cam...

I hope when you installed it wasnt setup wrong I know it is easy to get mixed up with advancing and retarding the cam with an adjustable timing set...the cam is a 111+4 but I retarded it 2* to get it at 111+2 to gain a hair more ptvc...now it can still be installed straight up and have tighter clearance and push the curve a hair but I think the power is a little on the low side if you have full bolt ons and locked on the dyno...

too bad you didn't do a baseline cause that would help out a ton...
I know that it sucks cause I didn't have a baseline before... I belive the same thing about my low numbers with what I have done while the converter was locked...

well if I check to see where it was installed at and it is straight up... do you ahve any more ideas on what I should check??
Old 05-23-2010, 11:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by najaf4life
I think that is the route I am going to take as of now... Just to make sure that it is lined up and then go from there.. I really thought I would hit at least 400rwhp...

It still wants to die at certain times.. while driving and then coming to a stop some times it will die and other times it is fine.. I also didn't think that I would have to my idel at 850 either... thought I might be able to get it lower than that but if it is any lower the car will die more often.. I will check out my IAC and see what I can find there...

this is very true.. but really am I gonna be able to run mid to low 11's with 375rwhp?? I guess I just really wanna find out if something is wrong with the car or not...

I know that it sucks cause I didn't have a baseline before... I belive the same thing about my low numbers with what I have done while the converter was locked...

well if I check to see where it was installed at and it is straight up... do you ahve any more ideas on what I should check??
did you end up using an adjustable timing chain...maybe you advanced it 2* instead of retarding it 2...or it could be that and be off a tooth also...what bolt on do you have...they can play a decent role in your power too
Old 05-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

did you end up using an adjustable timing chain...maybe you advanced it 2* instead of retarding it 2...or it could be that and be off a tooth also...what bolt on do you have...they can play a decent role in your power too
wasn't there when the cam was installed... but gonna tear everything apart again (I will be there this time) and look at see where it is.. but I just have the stock timing chain.. bolt ons is lid, full exhuast and cut out... and yes the cut out was also open...
Old 05-23-2010, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

wasn't there when the cam was installed... but gonna tear everything apart again (I will be there this time) and look at see where it is.. but I just have the stock timing chain.. bolt ons is lid, full exhuast and cut out... and yes the cut out was also open...
so no ported Tb or ud pulley...
Old 05-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Launching!

his is peaking around 6000 while my graph pulls to 6300
yeah but at what rpm is it done by? his might peak lower but it holds that peak pretty well
Old 05-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Launching!

you didnt think youd have to up the idle?
Old 05-23-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the torque never drops from 300 very nice!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

so no ported Tb or ud pulley...
no on both

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
you didnt think youd have to up the idle?
no I'm just saying that I wouldn't think that it would have to run the idle at 850 to keep the car running... and even today with what little driving I done.. when I was coming to a stop my car died on me... it doesn't happen all the time but some times...
Old 05-23-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 908 Likes on 648 Posts

Subscribing. This is who is going to do my tuning.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
That's just about spot-on for what this cam makes.

The "El Torro" doesn't make a lot of peak HP. It makes a big fat TQ curve, just like the one you have.
Thats what I thought too. 350 rwtq at 3500 rpm is spot on for a cammed ls1 making good low end power.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stoverz28
Thats what I thought too. 350 rwtq at 3500 rpm is spot on for a cammed ls1 making good low end power.
I'm not saying that the TQ isn't on... but I just expected at least 400rwhp if not the 400 mark a little under not as much under as I got..

since the car has been tuned I can tell a little more grunt down low... but there really wasn't that big of a difference from having the new cam installed and tuned before the stock one...
Old 05-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Launching!

no on both

no I'm just saying that I wouldn't think that it would have to run the idle at 850 to keep the car running... and even today with what little driving I done.. when I was coming to a stop my car died on me... it doesn't happen all the time but some times...
i know in my old LT1 car the MAF would sometimes need to be messed with and put at a different angle every now and then.

an idle at 850rpm aint bad at all. Try raising it to 900 it should idle a lil smoother.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

yeah but at what rpm is it done by? his might peak lower but it holds that peak pretty well
It was flat as hell... still making 385rwhp at 6800...
Old 05-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

so would you agree that something is up with my car?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Launching!

post your graph so we can get a direct comparison. We'll be able to overlay both graphs and see.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Banned

no on both

I had to have my idle raised up a little to avoid stalling. As far as dynos go its a tuning tool. The track will show what you are really making. When you get things sorted out is that invitation to race still on?
Old 05-25-2010, 01:11 AM
Launching!

if he has a 3400-3600 stall converter, wouldnt his tq graph look a lil different below those RPM's??? maybe the TC isnt really a high stall unit and is actually too tight which is why its having trouble idling???? i have personally experienced this problem in my Galaxie. I was sold what was supposedly a higher stall TC which turns out to be what i think is a STOCK STALL TC. All the cubes (533ci. with 260/269 solid roller .650/.650 low lift for spring longevity) keeps it from being a turd down low and it surprisingly runs well (still has traction problems with street tires) but it does have noticeable trouble idling when not in neutral or park. I wouldve tried getting my money back for my TC BTW but i didnt even install the engine and tranny for well over a year after buying the TC.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:03 AM
10 Second Club

post your graph so we can get a direct comparison. We'll be able to overlay both graphs and see.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...video-dyno.jpg

bottom graph is cam only...

top is new heads and cam
Old 05-25-2010, 08:20 AM
10 Second Club

so would you agree that something is up with my car?
possibly...you still are not full bolt ons and that dyno was STD...I would take it to the track and see what it mph's for the da and raceweight...
Old 05-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Launching!

looking at his dyno graph both your guys cammed cars are done by 6800rpm although yours peaked at about 6300-6400rpm

interesting thing to note

@3500rpm he produces 30+tq
@4000rpm " " 30+tq
@4500rpm " " 10+tq
@5000rpm " " 5+tq

@5500rpm " " about the same
@6000rpm " " -25hp
@6500rpm " " -30hp
@6800rpm " " -20hp

Quick Reply: Dyno Tuned "El Torro"