Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dissappointing AFR 205 Results

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
Tony,
With all do respect things should be talked about in a post instead of a PM. Unless someone is bad mouthing a product without telling the whole story. By having the OP
post his results helps people learn and see what people experience from a product.
Some say to run a big cam to get more power from a certain head, well even stock heads can have good gains from a bigger cam. But if an aftermarket head only shows a
few more HP over a stock head that flows 40cfm less, then just throwing a bigger cam or bigger intake is not the answer. It be good for us to see how the OP's setup turns out and see what gains he gets at the track from the AFR head install.
Thats the whole reason why public forums exist.
Guys,

I've clearly addressed what I view to be the larger issues here in my former posts in this thread....there is no funny business going on here....in fact everything is out in the open.

To recap, the headers are too big....the cam is all wrong....and the AFR heads were used lending question to how well they flow and seal combustion pressure. These are just the items we know are glaringly wrong....who knows what else may be hidden.

We cant do much about the headers but I will try to cam around it best I can....the OP may also be sending me the heads to look things over and evaluate their condition, valve job, etc.

We are hiding nothing guys and hope to have a happy ending to the story in a few weeks/month etc. This stuff takes time to sort out

Lets not forget the number he is already producing with this mild a cam and not an optimal package is already impressive by anyone's standards....certainly anyone reasonable without a negative agenda here

-Tony
Old 10-14-2010, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you'll help the OP. But how can a cam be all wrong? Honestly. A 222 cam will add atleast 50 rwhp on a cam only car. Then are you saying that your $2,300 heads can't run smaller cams? Cause not everyone wants a 230+ racing cam. And you recommended alot the 224 cam. So hows a 222 cam all wrong. One thing about LS1's is they make power by accident. I agree that no way does 1 7/8" headers belong anywhere near a 346cid NA motor. But his headers and cam cant hurt him that much. Well not the cam...the headers would not hurt his low end since he would loose some exhaust velocity. To be honest i would love to try 1 5/8" long tubes if they made them for LS1's. I would just like to see the tq gain, and with the right y-pipe HP wouldn't even suffer. But getting back...he ran 11.4's@120 with a 210cc stock LS6 head that flows 265cfm. So if his stock heads and the headers ran those times i would like to know why he only got 11 hp and 3 tq. Sure a bigger cam will make more hp,but will he lower his ET's?
And now his driveability will become a little issue.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

I hope you aren't saying that i have a " negative agenda " ? My post only said it's good
for people to post there experiences, period. You are the only person talking about "hiding anything" I cant see anyone saying you are trying to hide a thing. You must have a guilty conscience i guess. And if you're saying i have a agenda its only to find out what people run at the track after AFR heads are installed and thats my agenda if thats what you call it. You sound little like your heads are perfect and if anyone asked questions about them you're gonna say people have agenda's? LOL..OK i guess i should blindly buy something that cost over $2,000 and more on a FAST setup.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Flow Wizard

I know you'll help the OP. But how can a cam be all wrong? Honestly. A 222 cam will add atleast 50 rwhp on a cam only car. Then are you saying that your $2,300 heads can't run smaller cams? Cause not everyone wants a 230+ racing cam. And you recommended alot the 224 cam. So hows a 222 cam all wrong. One thing about LS1's is they make power by accident. I agree that no way does 1 7/8" headers belong anywhere near a 346cid NA motor. But his headers and cam cant hurt him that much. Well not the cam...the headers would not hurt his low end since he would loose some exhaust velocity. To be honest i would love to try 1 5/8" long tubes if they made them for LS1's. I would just like to see the tq gain, and with the right y-pipe HP wouldn't even suffer. But getting back...he ran 11.4's@120 with a 210cc stock LS6 head that flows 265cfm. So if his stock heads and the headers ran those times i would like to know why he only got 11 hp and 3 tq. Sure a bigger cam will make more hp,but will he lower his ET's?
And now his driveability will become a little issue.
No....our heads run extremely well with the correct "smaller cam"....thats been documented for the better part of five years now.

And I would appreciate if you turned it down a notch

The cam IS all wrong for two reasons and once again it appears your NOT READING the damn thread because its already been discussed (which I find a bit frustrating and sense others might as well).

You have a cam with far too big an exhaust split for an AFR head (twelve degrees if you cared to look) compounded by the fact its got much too big a header making the 12' split even more detrimental to torque and power output. Its a really poor match up....essentially your blowing all the damn cylinder pressure into the header tubes....not allowing it more time to work on the piston and produce energy (aka torque and horsepower).

Now due to the fact the stock exhaust port is weak, the cam he was running (with the larger header) likely worked in his favor but ultimately this was a very bad combination with the AFR heads....period.

Does this make a little more sense to you now?

Trust me when we straighten out the rest of this combo not only will his power improve but so will his track times but what I find interesting is you seem alot more agitated by it than the OP for some odd reason.

How about we let this deal play out and see what we are looking at when the smoke clears. Unfortunately its going to take some time but all of you will have a ringside seat to the end results and I'm sure its going to be interesting one way or another.

-Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 10-14-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Wow this is getting very intresting... I guess i will just sit back and watch. I am for sure going to go with the cam swap there is no doubt about that. Now as for as the headers they are going to stay on the car i dont think spending another 1200 on headers would be worth the gain imo. So like Tony has said you guys will have a ringside seat to the end results.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
No....our heads run extremely well with the correct "smaller cam"....thats been documented for the better part of five years now.

And I would appreciate if you turned it down a notch

The cam IS all wrong for two reasons and once again it appears your NOT READING the damn thread because its already been discussed (which I find a bit frustrating and sense others might as well).

You have a cam with far too big an exhaust split for an AFR head (twelve degrees if you cared to look) compounded by the fact its got much too big a header making the 12' split even more detrimental to torque and power output. Its a really poor match up....essentially your blowing all the damn cylinder pressure into the header tubes....not allowing it more time to work on the piston and produce energy (aka torque and horsepower).

Now due to the fact the stock exhaust port is weak, the cam he was running (with the larger header) likely worked in his favor but ultimately this was a very bad combination with the AFR heads....period.

Does this make a little more sense to you now?

Trust me when we straighten out the rest of this combo not only will his power improve but so will his track times but what I find interesting is you seem alot more agitated by it than the OP for some odd reason.

How about we let this deal play out and see what we are looking at when the smoke clears. Unfortunately its going to take some time but all of you will have a ringside seat to the end results and I'm sure its going to be interesting one way or another.

-Tony
Tone it down a notch now huh? Who was is that brought up agenda's? Not me. No you are the only one thats seems annoyed. And his cam is on a 115lsa
which would hold the exhaust in the chamber alittle longer. I'm only asking how the cam was an issue...i even said the headers are too big, i guess your not reading all the post either. I only got upset when you made the accusation that i had an agenda AND that you made it seem that i make saying you were hiding something. Plus i was posting with other members on what worked on my cars, sorry that bothers you, but if i can add my experiences i'll continue. And i didn;t tell how to do your job.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn Tony, you'd swear this was your first rodeo.

I'm sure once the you get the details sorted out the results will be good.....just as they have been since the heads have hit the market.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Flow Wizard

I only got upset when you made the accusation that i had an agenda AND that you made it seem that i make saying you were hiding something
Lets call a truce....the "agenda" wasn't directed at you but I could see how you could easily have taken it that way.

Would like to move this thread in a more positive direction....OP that means you need to finish your popcorn and lets figure out which direction we are going here. Get in touch with me via PM or phone again and let's get a game plan together.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 10-14-2010, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

Thats cool Tony...us car guys get into it..lol. And its cool about the other stuff.
i was just interested in telling the OP anything i could to help him out.
And to the OP...yes eat that pop-corn now
Old 10-14-2010, 11:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would still have to wonder about the valve job...and knowing what I know about bronze valve guides and stock rockers...I would have to wonder about the guides too...worn guides sure don't help power output...

Winter is coming, maybe the OP should consider pulling the heads for inspection...
Old 10-15-2010, 02:12 AM
TECH Resident

I am very interested in this thread. I was planning to pull my ls6 intake and prc 2.5 ls6s in favor of a mamofied 102 and afr 230s. I can also vouch for Newtechs dyno. It is actualy on the stingy side if you ask me. When I was ms4 cam only i only put down 400rwhp. But was beating cars that dynod 20-30 hp more at other shops. To the OP hope everything works ou in the end..
Old 10-15-2010, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's wrong with the 1 7/8 headers ? ?

Why it's too big for a 346ci ?

I've seen some dyno graphs show a nice gain over the 1 3/4 !!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:54 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My thoughts to add to the thread:

-Was injector duty cycle checked? 450rwhp is pushing the threshhold of maxing out 28's.
-This is why I NEVER install used heads without a thorough inspection/pressure check from a reputable machine shop.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:29 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Damian

-Was injector duty cycle checked? 450rwhp is pushing the threshhold of maxing out 28's.
-This is why I NEVER install used heads without a thorough inspection/pressure check from a reputable machine shop.
Very good sanity check! If you are making the claimed power you should see an indication in the duty cycle......never thought of that one!

My sanity check is airflow thru the MAF.......you can't mes with that one. I just went thru a good go around with a dyno manufacturer & it was airflow logged that backed my claims!
Old 10-15-2010, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Damian

Car has 42lb Green tops on it. I believe i mentioned that already. Also i did Mention that the heads were sent to a machine shop. But i will also send the heads to Tony so he can have a 2nd look at them.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ctd

Very good sanity check! If you are making the claimed power you should see an indication in the duty cycle......never thought of that one!

My sanity check is airflow thru the MAF.......you can't mes with that one. I just went thru a good go around with a dyno manufacturer & it was airflow logged that backed my claims!
Ctd. You care to share the numbers your car made or the track time's that your car has produced with the afr's?
Old 10-15-2010, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fatmat80
I am very interested in this thread. I was planning to pull my ls6 intake and prc 2.5 ls6s in favor of a mamofied 102 and afr 230s. I can also vouch for Newtechs dyno. It is actualy on the stingy side if you ask me. When I was ms4 cam only i only put down 400rwhp. But was beating cars that dynod 20-30 hp more at other shops. To the OP hope everything works ou in the end..
Thanks alot.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bludevil415
Ctd. You care to share the numbers your car made or the track time's that your car has produced with the afr's?
I would love to see the curve as well.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I would love to see the curve as well.
Here you go....

Dale copied my former 346 package to the letter but also added a slightly larger cam per my recommendation and also opted for my reworked AFR 205's versus out of the box like I ran on my combo which made 475 -480 RWHP with the AFR 224/228 cam.

His net results were very impressive....another example of how combination (right and wrong) means everything

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...-500-rwhp.html

-Tony
Old 10-15-2010, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Like BlueDevil asked...What track times do you guys with AFR heads and cam run?
Even doing a search doesn't show too many results. It be nice to know since torquey
heads usually run lower ET's.

Quick Reply: Dissappointing AFR 205 Results