Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

The 5.0's are catching up....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick G
The problem with the 5.0L is that it is very limited on future displacement growth because of short cylinders and small bore spacing. Once they surpass 500rwhp, the ponies are going to be very expensive NA. The LS engine on the other hand can go 500ci if the user wants to stay NA. Best bet for big power with the 5.0L is going to be force induction without a doubt.
Pretty much sums it up for me right there. Also look at the weight difference of the longblock.

I like it in theory and they are impressive results for a 302ci engine. But I'm not very impressed with low tq/high hp for a street engine.

I'd like to see that top end on 440+ cubes with a bottom end that will hold together.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

I wonder what gas it was running. It's still a mod motor but they did a good job finally gettin some n/a power out of it. I don't see where the heads flow that great...330+- ported, by todays standard it's good but not great. I like how they flow them to .600 lift when ya can't get a .600 cam in them..lol
Old 02-23-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Wow.. Yeah, $1500 for one head.. 0_o
Everything I read on their site says heads, plural...

The 5.0 is obviously a great motor earning the mustang some well deserved respect.

The ls motors are THE most popular swap motor of today and nothing Ford is making will ever take that away. The 5.0 is just not as cost effective as an ls motor.

Look at skinnies, he runs 8's on a stock junk yard 5.3 he picked up for dirt cheap. Ford motors will never run those numbers at the same price point...
Old 02-23-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

^^True it might not be as cost effective, especially when you talk big cube endless possibilities with the LS engines, but there will be some stroker kit soon for the 5.0l too. But even then, building a stroker that is performing like it should takes a lot of cash too. For an exemple, in the dyno section, I've seen a lot of half-*** built 408 not even reaching 450rwhp!! We are talking about street budget rebuild, I know, but youre not even in the 500 range and it did cost you a SB.

Every damn stroker I remember performing over 500rwhp either had TFS, AFR, LS7/ported L92 and some lucky guys with ported 243s..plus a ported FAST, or Victor JR Carb setup. Dont forget that you need every damn supporting boltons to feed your big cubes(induction/big TB/big headers/cutout/duals,etc).

So all that to say that it doesnt seem all that pricy to reach 500rwhp with a stock based 5.0l compare to LS engines. One thing is good though, the LS engines are way more easier to mod for the DIYers!! Thats where you save the most!!

BTW, in 10 years, there will be tons of 5.0l in junkyards too after Ford sells trillions of GTs and that the Camaro will be put to rest...

I've been saying this since they came out and I learned the specs and c/r. I was saying that the heavy builds will prolly be out of (pocket) reach of the average owner who will most likey stick to bolt-ons. The deeper crowd will be the ones who rebuild for lower c/r and add the FI to it. It's got quite high c/r as it is, so it won't stomach much boost on a stock bottom end. But I do give Ford some BIG props for a solid 6b main! About time!

But the heavy rebuilds are going to cost some coin for sure, and they'll have to wait for the aftermarket to catch up a little. The H/C builds alone will be expensive which is probably why FI is so attractive. Probably just a larger CC version of stock heads would be a good idea. I wonder what it would make in stock form with 10.5:1 c/r NA.

They've been needing something to climb back up, but I've got a VERY competitive side and a bit of a jealous streak, so I'll be looking for an L99 block soon or an LQ or LS2 block to try and help my numbers out.

-=EDIT=-

Wow.. Yeah, $1500 for one head.. 0_o

Flow #'s on those JPC heads.. Not bad!

RGR Ported
.100 52.3 35.0
.200 193.3 155.4
.300 262.8 197.5
.400 298.6 208.3
.500 318.4 220.7
.600 332.6 227.7
Like I said, plp tend to forget here that 500rwhp LS1 H/C/I combo cost a bunch too:

Ported FAST+TB=1300$(paid my ported 92mm in a super sale 1250$ which usually goes for 1400-1500)
CNCed top dollar heads=2300$+hand porting?(so 400-700 less than the coyote..)
All the exhaust work to make it right which cost a lot+tune+rod bolts

..if we are comparing the LS3 then, not all H/C LS3 made 500rwhp. The average is more around 470-500.. I see a lot of cammed LS3 in the 440-450rwhp range in the dyno section. Notting stellar about it. Looks like the L92 heads are still giving headache to a lot of speed shop.

While modding the LS3 might be a tad cheaper, you gotta admit that achieving 500rwhp N/A is sweet but it cost money down the road. Point is, any platform that can achieve 500rwhp N/A with stock heads/internals is badass.

^ Sadly enough, I'd take the Stang over the Camaro. The interior quality is much better. I don't think I'd actually DO it though.

I don't care about the weight or the layout of the interior on the Camaro, I'm just talking about product choice and quality.. GM in the last couple of years has just been too much cheap cracker-jack plastic. Could get the same stuff in a Revell Model.
I disagree because I've in Toyotas that were feeling a lot worst than my base Cobalt..and you know that GM cars lately are lightyears ahead of what it used to be in our beloved Fbodys

Originally Posted by usmonaro
What? Negative? Have you ever drove something with a heartbeat in it? This blood, guts and glory! I think it sucks. A piece! We have pretty much an ancient engine about the only OHV performance motor left on the market, still makes as much or more power & torque by going N/A and oh my gas mileage?

I can't wait for GM to knock Ford on its *** again. Hell the LS engines were being engineered back in 91". The 5.0L is a joke. Stock crank hp is like 420? Nissan is using a 3.7L V6 that pops out 380? Like I said a joke. Also to consider the block and the car is a boat anchor.

As bad as I hate to see LS engines go, I can't wait for GM to show up their DOHC designs for some new performance V8's. I wouldn't be surprised for 500hp out of the box, 35~ish mpg highway and an n/a capable of 630~ish rwhp if you've got deep enough pockets.

I hate Fords. Its in my blood. Mustangs are the american versions of civics. Everywhere you go you see one. Almost every one of them are pieces of junk. The people who own them are proud and cocky. When they get beat they make excuses.

Go Chevrolet or go home. I'd rather push my GTO than drive a mustang. Even the new one.

Who's with me? Lol.
Cool to hear that the 5.0l is a joke at 420hp. LS3 is the **** then with 10 more ponies, yeah right..

and thanks for bringing the ricer math again

Last edited by Johnnystock; 02-23-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

was nissan's v6 really just compared to the 5.0?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Just to stir some more ****; if you go in the stickies, average 408 stroker is 507rwhp and 481rwtq..
Old 02-23-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
BTW, in 10 years, there will be tons of 5.0l in junkyards too after Ford sells trillions of GTs and that the Camaro will be put to rest...
No matter how many 5.0 GT's they sell the 5.0 will never be as cheap or as easily attainable as an LS motor.

How many ls powered vehicles does GM have compared to the ONE and only vehicle that is Ford 5.0 powered?

The 5.0 is somewhat of a flagship motor for Ford right now and the junk yards know this. I'm not saying it wont be a popular swap motor just saying it will never be what the LS motor is today...
Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

I wonder how many people would say it was a fair comparison if Ford had a 7 ltr and were comparing it to the LS3? How can so many people say it's a fair comparison to compare a 5 ltr to a 6 ltr? I have always loved ANY car as long as it was done right. EVERY manufacture has A$$ hole followers who bash, including some on this site. Some of the same who will never admit to being beat by a Ford.

There are some short comings on the new Ford, however I think it is a great engine, and look forward to meeting some guy on the street to see how fast it really is........or isn't.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stoverz28
No matter how many 5.0 GT's they sell the 5.0 will never be as cheap or as easily attainable as an LS motor.

How many ls powered vehicles does GM have compared to the ONE and only vehicle that is Ford 5.0 powered?

The 5.0 is somewhat of a flagship motor for Ford right now and the junk yards know this. I'm not saying it wont be a popular swap motor just saying it will never be what the LS motor is today...
Sorry but that, you cant be sure!! Unless you have a crystal ball!!
.. As I said, there will be tons in 10-15 years..right now its a brand new engine and there is none at the junkyard, pretty simple. so its cheaper for now going LSx because the market is developping since 14 years. I dont think its the majority that goes around in junkyard to shop their engine anyway. Or maybe in 15 years, there will be no more pump gas and we will be talking about our electric boosted car!!

If mine ever blows up again, I'll be looking for a new LS2-3/iron 6.0l stroker based SB from a sponsor here..just saying. Theyre cheap new anyway.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Well if their catching up it sure don't show on the street

Also there seems to be a lot of Mustang owners running chevy motors under the hood,

If that don't tell yah something

I wish they'd run their own Mills, either that or buy a chevy
Old 02-23-2011, 06:04 PM

Those are great numbers no matter how you slice it. Can't wait to see some of these cars at the drag strip and on the street this coming year!

Go Chevrolet or go home. I'd rather push my GTO than drive a mustang.
Interesting...

Originally Posted by vette0009
Are you referring to sales numbers or races?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Sorry but that, you cant be sure!! Unless you have a crystal ball!!
.. As I said, there will be tons in 10-15 years..right now its a brand new engine and there is none at the junkyard, pretty simple. so its cheaper for now going LSx because the market is developping since 14 years. I dont think its the majority that goes around in junkyard to shop their engine anyway. Or maybe in 15 years, there will be no more pump gas and we will be talking about our electric boosted car!!

If mine ever blows up again, I'll be looking for a new LS2-3/iron 6.0l stroker based SB from a sponsor here..just saying. Theyre cheap new anyway.
Lol. Well imo what makes the LS so great is the fact that they can be picked up all day for $500-$1000 and still run great in a purpose built race car. Case and point is Skinnies car, $10000 budget and he runs 8's, all on stock ****. A 5.0 might be capable of the same but not at that price, even in 10 years...

Unless Ford puts this motor (or any variation of it) in their trucks, suv's and all other v8 powered vehicles, it will never be as popular of a swap motor. It will always cost more because the market will never be as saturated with them as it is with LS motors.

Id be willing to bet that in 3-5 years the only thing with this new 5.0 is powering is the mustang...
Old 02-23-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

hahaha just reading some of those replies makes me laugh. Some are referencing the 5.0 at 507 rwhp vs a ls7 at 505 crank horsepower saying the 5.0 is better... holy ****. Saying the 5.0 makes the ls series look silly... Some of these guys are gonna have rude awakenings soon lol.. One guy even took it as far as comparing it to a ferrari! WOOOAHH easy there fella... But it seems there are some level headed people over there that have a clue. Most of those people are moron nut swingers. Of course we have our share over here as well. Lets sum this up...

5.0 DOHC will make more hp/liter costs more to mod and is physically bigger and heavier then even a 7.0l ls7. The 5.0 is basically maxed displacement wise. ONE dynoed 500+ rwhp and not yet **track proven**. Dynos are dynos. This same car on a different dyno could make 470 horsepower who knows. its way to early to assume this is the norm. But its a great accomplishment no doubt. im not trying to detract anything from it.

The LSX pushrod platform will not make as high hp/liter as dohc and NEVER WILL but its cheaper to mod, physically smaller and lighter can go 454 ci or more while making its power in a more IMO usable powerband. Many proven 500++ rwhp setups done time and time again with proven track results.

A show of hands how many people care about hp/liter? Would you rather have a 500 rwhp horsepower 7 liter (i know... that would be sad only 500rwhp heads cam) with more torque or a higher revving 5.0L? Id take the bigger displacement (yet smaller) motor every time every day because you know power is easier made with more space. Everyone would take the most displacement they can fit in their car for more performance and dont believe anyone that says otherwise... The only time hp liter matters is in racing classes that limit displacement. **** if a 572ci motor would fit in my car with no mods you bet id be sporting that beast.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

Lol. Well imo what makes the LS so great is the fact that they can be picked up all day for $500-$1000 and still run great in a purpose built race car. Case and point is Skinnies car, $10000 budget and he runs 8's, all on stock ****. A 5.0 might be capable of the same but not at that price, even in 10 years...

Unless Ford puts this motor (or any variation of it) in their trucks, suv's and all other v8 powered vehicles, it will never be as popular of a swap motor. It will always cost more because the market will never be as saturated with them as it is with LS motors.

Id be willing to bet that in 3-5 years the only thing with this new 5.0 is powering is the mustang...
Isnt ford putting the 5.0 in its trucks? I thought i heard they were? Anyway the 5.0 will not be a popular swap choice just because of its size... mod motors are huge.. There will be die hard ford fans that will swap this motor into things but the engine size will dictate the donor car its able to go into. No way a 5.0 is going into a mazda miata like a 454ci lsx could... thats amazing to think about.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rpturbo
I wonder how many people would say it was a fair comparison if Ford had a 7 ltr and were comparing it to the LS3? How can so many people say it's a fair comparison to compare a 5 ltr to a 6 ltr? I have always loved ANY car as long as it was done right. EVERY manufacture has A$$ hole followers who bash, including some on this site. Some of the same who will never admit to being beat by a Ford.

There are some short comings on the new Ford, however I think it is a great engine, and look forward to meeting some guy on the street to see how fast it really is........or isn't.
DOHC vs pushrod. Thats why. Its no secret that DOHC is more efficient at packing its cylinders with air where pushrod motors are more efficient at packing displacement in a compact package..
Old 02-23-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is sick! I still dont like Fords but you have to give it respect that it makes that much power from a 5.0. The torque is low but that is to be expected with a small displacement.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 897 Likes on 639 Posts

I hate Fords. Its in my blood. Mustangs are the american versions of civics. Everywhere you go you see one. Almost every one of them are pieces of junk. The people who own them are proud and cocky. When they get beat they make excuses.
Do have any idea how big of a douche bag you look like?

Good luck on this board that that attitude.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

this. rows upon rows of ls motors at the place i get my cores. 823 heads, 317, 243 heads engines for excellent prices
Originally Posted by vette0009

Also there seems to be a lot of Mustang owners running chevy motors under the hood,

If that don't tell yah something

I wish they'd run their own Mills, either that or buy a chevy
check the carbed and conversions forums. theres FORD oriented aftermarket vendors that sell LS swap parts for mustangs.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

5.0 is a ladies engine
Old 02-23-2011, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

i'll take my stump puller 470/480 over 500/420 any day. useable power is where its at.
ford brought something desent to the table that got their fans stirred up, good for them. reality is a bitch though.

Quick Reply: The 5.0's are catching up....