Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

The 5.0's are catching up....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahahaaa I guess all theses comments are to be expected... Ford is already putting these in f150's so there should be plenty to go around in the future. I'm puzzled by all the comments on how expensive the 5.0 is to build. ITS BRAND NEW!!!!!!!!! I'm building up an LQ9 right now... If I want 500rwhp NA is going to cost $2g's for heads. $1100 for ported FAST. $400 cam. $1g for exhaust. and if I want to go down the track fast I need $2g's for a decent rear. $6500 and that doesn't include the shortblock I bought, labor, tuning or nickel and dime BS that goes with it. Sorry I'm not buying that argument. Why are people defending the LS engine? It has been a beast for long time and doesnt need any excuses made for it.

thing needs some respect. they are runners unlike the new Camaro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2z8exW96l8
Old 02-23-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice! I love that these horsepower wars are still going strong.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sillysspeed
hahahaaa I guess all theses comments are to be expected... Ford is already putting these in f150's so there should be plenty to go around in the future. I'm puzzled by all the comments on how expensive the 5.0 is to build. ITS BRAND NEW!!!!!!!!! I'm building up an LQ9 right now... If I want 500rwhp NA is going to cost $2g's for heads. $1100 for ported FAST. $400 cam. $1g for exhaust. and if I want to go down the track fast I need $2g's for a decent rear. $6500 and that doesn't include the shortblock I bought, labor, tuning or nickel and dime BS that goes with it. Sorry I'm not buying that argument. Why are people defending the LS engine? It has been a beast for long time and doesnt need any excuses made for it.
Yessir, did not know this until now, thank you.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-f-1...-for-2011.html

Knowing that my argument could be a wash but I still seriously doubt there will ever be as many 5.0's produced as there has been LS motors. I'm having trouble thinking of all the different models that came ls powered over the last 14 years...
Old 02-24-2011, 02:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Do have any idea how big of a douche bag you look like?

Good luck on this board that that attitude.
#1- You probably own a civic
#2- You probably own a mustang
#3- You probably look like a douche bag because 3/4 chevrolet guys do not like fords.

I've been a member of plenty of other boards. Maybe I just care about the stuff I like a little more than you do.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by usmonaro
#3- You probably look like a douche bag because 3/4 chevrolet guys do not like fords.

I've been a member of plenty of other boards. Maybe I just care about the stuff I like a little more than you do.

Yup you got me on all three. I have been owned.

HA!

However your third point really made no sense.

Somehow you owned me anyway.

LMAO!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sillysspeed
thing needs some respect. they are runners unlike the new Camaro
You dont wanna bring this argument again since its been cover long time ago for millions of pages in millions of thread before. The vid you show is packing everything it can under the hood from FI to forged internals. Not saying its not badass, because it is, but it better runs good for all the for the mods it has!! This video just doesnt show anything about the subject of the thread which is 500rwhp N/A achieved by the new 5.0l. Like some said, it can be a happy dyno, but I dont have problem believing it can be done with some good R/D and quality parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT8cV...eature=related

Camaro can run too with FI n other goodies..

Last edited by Johnnystock; 02-24-2011 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
You dont wanna bring this argument again since its been cover long time ago for millions of pages in millions of thread before. The vid you show is packing everything it can under the hood from FI to forged internals. Not saying its not badass, because it is, but it better runs good for all the for the mods it has!! This video just doesnt show anything about the subject of the thread which is 500rwhp N/A achieved by the new 5.0l. Like some said, it can be a happy dyno, but I dont have problem believing it can be done with some good R/D and quality parts.

bigger engine and bigger blower, yet not as fast

While all of this was transpiring, a new long block was being prepared for the car at L&M Race Engines that would produce the power necessary for powering the Mustang to single digit elapsed times. The new powerplant utilizes a stock cubic inch, 5.0L block with 10:1 compression, housing a set of forged Diamond Pistons and Oliver billet rods, and sporting stock camshafts, cylinder heads, intake manifold, and throttle body.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Teching In

there will always be those who like those that don't nature of the beast, i for one have like the competition to step forward, truth be know if their wasn't any ford's to bitch about you be talking trash about your buddies ride, from sbc to bbc to ls to lsx, it can only get better with time!!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I got my drivers license back in the mid 70's, back when a new '76 Mustang 11 with the 5.0 put out 132 hp, the future did not look positive at all! I see this whole Ford/Chevy argument as being 100% awesome that there is even anything to be able to talk about! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-24-2011, 08:15 AM
12 Second Club

i mean i dont see how its unbelievable. it would be pretty pathetic if the 5.0 couldnt reach 500rwhp considering we can do it with our '97 LS1s... just my .02
Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by usmonaro

Originally Posted by LilJayV10

Yup you got me on all three. I have been owned.

HA!

However your third point really made no sense.

Somehow you owned me anyway.

LMAO!
Totally owned you in his Chevrolet GTO
Old 02-24-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Johnnystock

Your right It doesn't have much to do with the topic and probably was better for a different topic -guess I just like seeing it drag the back bumper as for being everthing they can pack under the hood? just like the gentlemen stated above it had billet rods and forged pistons (things done for longevity) The entire topend was STOCK, heads, cams, intake, even throttle body! In the 8's!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

^^We dont know how much boost and how weight reduction, which will change a lot. ..Anyway, by posting this, I knew plp would bitch about a 9sec@144mph 10' Camaro because it cannot run
Old 02-24-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When people argue 5.0 vs lsx, why do they always show youtube videos of shop cars running so and so times? That doesnt mean ****. Drag racing is more about the set up of the whole car than the motor itself.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Totally owned you in his Chevrolet GTO
I don't know you how smart you are but its pretty obvious the LS engine in your car is chevrolet or GM. Whichever you prefer to call it. I call it that you're not too smart or else you would've figured that out on your own without your stupid smarta$$ comment.

AND like I said before even though the LS1 debuted in 97" it was being drawn up back in 91".

On my ricer side, its stupid for ford people to argue the displacement battle anyways. A Supra w/stock internals 3.0L DOHC Inline 6 turbo was capable of over 1,000rwhp without digging into the block. A 300zx 3.0L DOHC V6 twin turbo over 700rwhp on its stock internals.

I'm satisfied either way. It'd be hard to argue there has ever been a better block design than that of an LS or if one will ever exceed it. Good ci, good power, great torque, good gas mileage, compact, lightweight, affordable. I was so impressed with my GTO and just the quality and power that I doubt I'll ever buy anything but another GM performance vehicle ever again.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
I got my drivers license back in the mid 70's, back when a new '76 Mustang 11 with the 5.0 put out 132 hp, the future did not look positive at all! I see this whole Ford/Chevy argument as being 100% awesome that there is even anything to be able to talk about! Bob
Yeah, and 10 years later the 5.0 that many could argue started it all was making a whopping 180-190 rwhp in stock trim...we've now doubled that!

Good times fo sho.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With heads just as big as a big blocks. I would assume

It would make decent n/a power eventually. Took the mod motors some time to develop to there current configuration. Seeing as how they've prolly been around since desert storm.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

It is what it is. This 5.0 being the new kid on the block is a winner, no denying that LSx engines are stout either. Some people just have too much blind loyalty and don't see what good other things are being worked up by different manufacturers. Its like when a woman is in a bad relationship getting beat by her man, through all of it she sticks it out and returns for more beatings. Who really cares how big it is, it fits in the mustang no problem so there is no reason to cry about its physical size.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5w20
It is what it is. This 5.0 being the new kid on the block is a winner, no denying that LSx engines are stout either. Some people just have too much blind loyalty and don't see what good other things are being worked up by different manufacturers. Its like when a woman is in a bad relationship getting beat by her man, through all of it she sticks it out and returns for more beatings. Who really cares how big it is, it fits in the mustang no problem so there is no reason to cry about its physical size.
YEA, It is just like that.....
Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I won't bring up physical size/weight if the 5.0 guys don't bring up HP per liter

Quick Reply: The 5.0's are catching up....