Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

The 5.0's are catching up....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. I have to give credit to ford. Now i know why GM needed bailout money. I totally disagree about it being about car enthusiast. You don't go on a ferrari board and post about your car. I may not have been a member of this board long but I have been a member of 300zx club for awhile and I can tell you that people are alot more dedicated to the vehicles they have and why people come to a site.

Each is own. You wanna talk about stock bottom end?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8s26_bsHGo

Nice 3.0L. Hp & TQ.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by usmonaro
Here's a great idea. If you guys like your 5.0's so much why don't you just delete your accounts and not every log back onto this site?

This is an LS site and there is more than enough reason to be proud.

Nobody invited you ford guys anyways.
that evolution 5.0 has you upset that such a simple combo with the engine in the car it was designed for, not a light weight car swap, ran 8's and with the stock top end to boot.

get drug by 5.0's at the nearest stop light bro.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I have been a member of 300zx club
No wonder...
Old 02-26-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 5.0 isnt bad but I would much rather have a terminator.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

I love GM and Ford, they both are putting out some outstanding new era Muscle Cars. You guys should be happy that the LS cars now have some competition on the streets, I love these muscle car wars! Chrysler will have a 392ci engine out next year as well, I probally would not ever own one of their Muscle cars, but i am happy about there cars as well.

You guys in this thread hating are not American Muscle Car enthusiast. If some of you young guys would have been around in the mid 80's and early
90's would have seen the 5.0 Mustang with 235hp outrun many L-98s with larger engines and more HP. I have had several LS cars and love them with all my heart, but I can say that on my 03-04 Cobra platform it will make well over 700rwhp on the stock bottom longblock and cost less than $5500. Thats awesome!!!

Finally, the LT and LS cars are the reason why American Muscle is back in full effect. That is why everyone want to beat an LS car because they set the bar very high. We need to appreciate this war going on between the big 3, in this day in time we are lucky we aren't racing Hybrids or Electric cars.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jason02Z
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...dit-video.html
its funny how the new mustang get **** for making 500hp and 420 tq but in this fairly new post a "ls1" car made less hp locked up too, but everyone says WOW great numbers! it is a nice car but, too a lot of ppl here its prob not to street-able like you say the 5.0 isn't. over .600 lift fly cut pistons sd tune 4000 stall. and revs to 7000 with 40more bad *** LS ci. IMO thats what you should compare it with not a large motor like the ls3 or 7 of course it makes more power especially in a low rpm street race motor..but i'm still an Lsx fan
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...p-426rwtq.html

update haha 495rwhp

Was this new 5.0 an automatic or stick...I didnt see it listed...cant wait for some competition from these on the street...
Old 02-26-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow. I have to give credit to ford. Now i know why GM needed bailout money. I totally disagree about it being about car enthusiast. You don't go on a ferrari board and post about your car. I may not have been a member of this board long but I have been a member of 300zx club for awhile and I can tell you that people are alot more dedicated to the vehicles they have and why people come to a site.

Each is own. You wanna talk about stock bottom end?

Nice 3.0L. Hp & TQ.
Please dont turn this into a domestic vs import, please.. N/A vs FI

About stock bottom end, you know LS3 is really stout? Stock GM LSx crank/block has been tested and can resist in FI 800hp+ setup, thats badass!! LS3 whole bottom end are really strong BTW in FI application even if they were produced as N/A engine, thats impressive too.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read this entire thread it's hilarious. I look at it like this: Ford FINALLY made a decent engine. Good competition for the LS series engines. But it's on a dyno, everyone knows dyno's are just numbers if it doesn't run very well then who cares? These new 5.0 Mustangs are very impressive. I think a lot of people forgot how crazy it was when the first LS engines came out. It was crazy, about the same thing as the 5.0 now. Anyway you look at it, Ford did a good job. And what the ****, who brought 300ZX's and Supra's into this? Wanna talk about my shoes or anything else that doesn't have anything to do with this thread?
Old 02-26-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

comparing these engines is silly. they are a far cry from even being close to comparison.

i think it's good to see n/a power out of a ford, it has been a long while. we just have to step up our game now. nothing like a little competition to motivate.

what is not awesome about a 302ci motor with a 4v head, ohc setup, and 415hp...completely stock? has a warranty and 7k rpm capability. booyah.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

I don't understand why some of you guys are so upset or in denial about this. Its like some of you have a complex because the bad all mighty LSX that has been at the top of the game for the last 10 years is now being threatened by ford who WAS at the bottom. I too am a LSX die hard and have owned several of them, but I can still fess up and give credit where credit is due. Way to go ford, that is impressive. For one we as gm guys should be thankful to ford for paving the way toward future performance. DOHC is the furture. When the c7 comes out in 2012 it will have gm's new 5.5L DOHC. You guys all need to get used to it because because the pushrod days are numbered. Future corvettes and camaros will be running dohc so get used to it. Lets put it in perspective. For one thing the 5.0 don't gain much torque because people turn up the cam phasing to get a peak number which bleeds some compresssion. Look at evolution where a fully build 5.0 with just 302 cu and a f1-a off went 8.80 @ 150+ Or how about MMR racing with only a 5.4 and lots of boost went into the 7's at over 200mph. If you look at what some of these guys are spending on built 416's and blowers and getting 650-700rwhp and guys with stock shelby's getting the same power with alot less motor you will become less impresed with the old adage " no replacement for dissplacement" Latley I am leaning toward " keep it small and boost the crap out it".
Old 02-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Launching!

"Keep it small and boost the crap out of it" Sounds like a ricer thing to say considering anybody that has a Civic or something similiar has a small engine and boosts it. Just a thought, I'd still have an LS7 over a 5.0. But I do think Ford has done something very spectacular.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The one thing I have noticed since I switched to GM several years ago. I will try a ZO6 before I will try a Shelby on the street. Maybe it is the respect I have for the DOHC motors..?? The Terminators are still intimidating when they roll up behind you. I will race anybody and don't mind losing, since I am always in the heavier vehicle.

The Ford's are REAL nice cars with a TOP engineered drivetrain. I like pushrod motors so the LSX is who I will represent on the streets.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by redsap05
I don't understand why some of you guys are so upset or in denial about this. Its like some of you have a complex because the bad all mighty LSX that has been at the top of the game for the last 10 years is now being threatened by ford who WAS at the bottom. I too am a LSX die hard and have owned several of them, but I can still fess up and give credit where credit is due. Way to go ford, that is impressive. For one we as gm guys should be thankful to ford for paving the way toward future performance. DOHC is the furture. When the c7 comes out in 2012 it will have gm's new 5.5L DOHC. You guys all need to get used to it because because the pushrod days are numbered. Future corvettes and camaros will be running dohc so get used to it. Lets put it in perspective. For one thing the 5.0 don't gain much torque because people turn up the cam phasing to get a peak number which bleeds some compresssion. Look at evolution where a fully build 5.0 with just 302 cu and a f1-a off went 8.80 @ 150+ Or how about MMR racing with only a 5.4 and lots of boost went into the 7's at over 200mph. If you look at what some of these guys are spending on built 416's and blowers and getting 650-700rwhp and guys with stock shelby's getting the same power with alot less motor you will become less impresed with the old adage " no replacement for dissplacement" Latley I am leaning toward " keep it small and boost the crap out it".
Not fully built, try again.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I totally disagree about it being about car enthusiast.
It's irrelevant is you don't agree.Your opinion has no bearing on how this site is run.
The fact of the matter is that we welcome all car enthusiasts. This is a business as well
as a place to gain tech knowledge pertaining to all LSx applications. Just because
someone owns a particular brand of vehicle currently doesn't mean they won't
purchase a LSx powered vehicle...and start contributing and supporting our vendors.
That's just one of many reasons why all car enthusiasts are welcome here.

Back on topic...

Do we know what the compression ratio is on this engine? I wonder if they bumped
it a few points.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Launching!

Im not saying this isn't impressive because it is. Although, what do CAM ONLY ls3 camaros put down!!?? .......Exactly. Why are we comparing this 2011 to a 13 year old dinosoaur? The 2010 camaro is the rival of this car. Dont be suprised if my little dinosaur gives you a run for your money though.

Last edited by 99peweterls1; 02-27-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by unit213
It's irrelevant is you don't agree.Your opinion has no bearing on how this site is run.
The fact of the matter is that we welcome all car enthusiasts. This is a business as well
as a place to gain tech knowledge pertaining to all LSx applications. Just because
someone owns a particular brand of vehicle currently doesn't mean they won't
purchase a LSx powered vehicle...and start contributing and supporting our vendors.
That's just one of many reasons why all car enthusiasts are welcome here.

Back on topic...

Do we know what the compression ratio is on this engine? I wonder if they bumped
it a few points.
the compression was bumped from 11 to 1 up to 12 to 1. These results from NA are very nice. but I think its a little counter productive to up the compression and then bleed it off by turning up the variable cam phasing which is giving the crappy torque number. Personally If I was having one of these built I would do lower compression plus boost, that way you still have gobs or torque.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
well dohc is going to make more hp/liter. if you like ricer math its all good.
Just because it is DOHC doesnt mean it automatically makes more HP or HP/Liter. Most of the reason why the 5.0 makes so much power is the twin independent VCT, being able to adjust the physical cam timing of both the intake and exhaust camshafts at all RPM's gives a big advantage. It allows the 5.0 to rev high and carry torque to make the HP number. HP is nothing more than a math number that comes from torque and rpm. Heads on it are NOT superior to LS castings, they are pretty much equal with no landslide victory, there isnt much technology on this motor that makes it the second coming of the LS1 . It will get really interesting once both ford and GM add direct injection (and when GM perfects there VVT) to these motors, just imagine 12.5:1 compression on pump gas. It wont be long until both the mod motors and LSx's are making 500hp with about 5.0 liters.

HP/liter means nothing.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrs1313
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...p-426rwtq.html

update haha 495rwhp

Was this new 5.0 an automatic or stick...I didnt see it listed...cant wait for some competition from these on the street...
i think it was a stick..
yea i saw that and the vids comes off the line nice and smooth wheels up i would like my car to roll out like that.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
This is a business

anyway seems like more reason i need to pickup a C6Z, its the end of an era.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Horses per Liter is lacking a needed qualifier. HP/L at what RPM?
At 7000 rpm? The ricers would think that a good, or low, number. But how about a more useful 5000 rpm? Then what engine is best?
And why even care about HP/L? To determine efficiency?
How about cost per elapsed time, and actual observed fuel consumption?
Ford is giving good HP, and good potential, in the lightest ponycar, with the only surviving solid rear axle. And that 3 link rear suspension works well. So Ford will win a few converts.
GM does a few things right, but they keep F'ing us. We didn't want the IRS to be mandatory. We wanted the 8.625" or 9.5" pickup axle available. We didn't want 3700 pounds of mandatory luxury crap, we wanted a 2900 pound stripper with the huge V8, but no power heated remote release leather-wrapped BS.
GM damn near built a V-10 version of the LS. They damn near gave us cam-over-cam, and 3 valves per cylinder.
But all we got was the 6.2

Quick Reply: The 5.0's are catching up....