Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dyno numbers......seem low to me

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dyno numbers......seem low to me

Ok so I got my ls1 swapped and finally tuned. This is in my 91 mustang I'll list mods below and post a pic of the dyno sheet in a few minutes. Numbers seem low to me......or is this about right? Im at 322rwhp/320rwtq on a dynapack dyno.

Mods:
228r cam
cold air intake
Kook LT headers
42lb injectors
4:10 gears
built trans w/ Yank 3200 stall
magnaflow exhaust
255lph hp fuel pump with the corvette regualted filter and -6 lines

Quick rundown, the stock injectors were maxing out on the initial tune so i went with 42's to give me room to grow. These are currently running at 55% duty cycle. The tuner said the 75mm maf is now maxing at around 3k and the air intake is restricting good flow. When I installed the cam it was degreed and was maybe .5 degrees off which shouldnt effect anything dramatically. The tuner also tried a street tune thinking something was going on he couldn't figure out on the dyno but said everything looks good. We both thought the numbers would be higher than they are but are assuming the auto, stall, and gears and throwing off the numbers. When i bought the engine it only had 12k miles on it and its out of an 04 GTO.

Is there anything wrong here or was my engine built on a monday? Also im confident in the tuner since he's tuned lots of cars and have heard nothing but good things about him.

Last edited by ebk06; 03-28-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems low to me. With that cam I would think you would be at mid 330 even re-stricted !
Old 03-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Launching!

With a new MAF, ported TB, and a underdrive pulley I could probably get near 330-335 im guessing. But yea to me these current numbers seemed low to me and the tuner.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

It seems low for sure...but sometimes with auto, they put low numbers but run at the track.

85MAF would be a great idea with ported TB/ UDs, like ebk06 said.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if ur hunting for numbers stay away from dynapacks!! get to a dynojet and you'll be much happier. I'd say at least a 20-30 rwhp increase MINIMUM. Your maf is fine for now. You would make gains but nothing dramatic maybe 4-5 MAYBE.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

My first dyno was around the same. Added a FAST intake from the ls1 and a pulley and now I'm at 350+rwhp unlocked but trapping more like a 380+rwhp car.

Was the converter locked? I wouldn't think you would be maxing injectors with that cam.

Last edited by thunderstruck507; 03-28-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:27 PM
10 Second Club

Go to the track and see what it does! That will tell you if it's low or not.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by djfury05
if ur hunting for numbers stay away from dynapacks!! get to a dynojet and you'll be much happier. I'd say at least a 20-30 rwhp increase MINIMUM. Your maf is fine for now. You would make gains but nothing dramatic maybe 4-5 MAYBE.
Im not hunting for numbers Im just wanting comparisons. I know a load bearing dyno will give lower numbers. My tuner told me the MAF was maxing out at peak hp. He's pretty experienced and has tuned cars with setups pushing way more power than mine with no issues. Plus he has no reason to lie since he doesnt charge for retunes and wont be doing the install.

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
My first dyno was around the same. Added a FAST intake from the ls1 and a pulley and now I'm at 350+rwhp unlocked but trapping more like a 380+rwhp car.

Was the converter locked? I wouldn't think you would be maxing injectors with that cam.
Im not sure if he was locking the converter or not to be honest. And true no one else thought I should be maxing the stock injectors but he showed my the read outs and I was maxing them at 5k rpms.

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
Go to the track and see what it does! That will tell you if it's low or not.
I plan to. Like I said Im just trying to find out if these numbers are normal or not. Im not trying to bench race just see if there could be something wrong that me or the tuner are missing somehow.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ebk06
Im not hunting for numbers Im just wanting comparisons. I know a load bearing dyno will give lower numbers. My tuner told me the MAF was maxing out at peak hp. He's pretty experienced and has tuned cars with setups pushing way more power than mine with no issues. Plus he has no reason to lie since he doesnt charge for retunes and wont be doing the install.

Im not sure if he was locking the converter or not to be honest. And true no one else thought I should be maxing the stock injectors but he showed my the read outs and I was maxing them at 5k rpms.

I plan to. Like I said Im just trying to find out if these numbers are normal or not. Im not trying to bench race just see if there could be something wrong that me or the tuner are missing somehow.
I fully understand but I did the same thing when my car dynoed low or at least what I thought was low. As I stated, there is no better measurement of true power than a race track. If it goes slow then you can probably bet that something was done wrong. Good luck!