Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

My 450WHP Mamofied 1LE SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 450WHP Mamofied 1LE SS

Gents,

This post has been a long time coming, but I am so pleased with where I've ended up. First things first I need to thank some people:

1) TONY mf'n MAMO - holy crap, I do not have the words to express what a knowledgable, communicative, and all around bad *** Tony is. All of the parts that I got through him were works of art and came with a detailed explanation of why they are what they are. There is a reason this guy is so prominent and I think my results show exactly why. . .but even they dont do him justice.

2) John and Kevin at New England Dyno. These guys helped me out of a bad spot and ended up getting me a tune that was +25WHP and WTQ across the entire range from the previous tune on the exact same setup. I **** you not. They are also great guys to work with giving lots of guidance, explanation, and requesting little details about my driving habits to help guide the tune. Communication was never lacking, and I think that is worth a lot with a tuner.

Build info is here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post16904858

The goal of this build was to make a very streetable car, docile enough for me to take to the ice cream stand with the wife (without her feeling the need to complain) and mean enough to get me thrown off the local track. . .and I am real happy. The pull below was made with the cutout open and my lid lifted. The stock SS airbox is just a touch restrictive at this level. The numbers are SAE corrected, converter locked (w/ cats and through a geared 9"!)

A little Mamofied goodness for those that don't want to click the link:

An exhaust port I want to make sex with:

Got big *** valves?

Last edited by therabidweasel; 05-16-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

So how does it drive?

Well, in two words: Holy ****!

On my way to write this I had a couple of buddies along for the ride so I opened the cutout and hammered it at 60. It is very cold here and my tires are 4 year old BFG G-force KDs, but when the car shifted to third at 90mph it spun the tires pretty hard. . .at 90! My buddies nearly shat themselves. It's ridiculous for an NA 346ci car.

This car is just plain beasty all around and the power carries all the way to 7k. I'm just scratching the surface with it because traction is a very big issue. . .even with my LCAs in the bottom hole. I'm pretty bummed the track is closed here and I have to wait until next year, but at least I know if I can ever make it stick it is going to feel even better.

Last edited by therabidweasel; 11-18-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: removing non-dyno result data
Old 11-18-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn nice numbers through the 9" & Auto trans. It should be a killer at that track.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes it will, that is a beast, nice ride
Old 11-18-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice build..Mamo is the man!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Nice build..Mamo is the man!
Another +1 for tony being THE fukn man, sweet results for a n/a 346 dude must be a blast to drive
Old 11-18-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah man, these parts with the new tune have exceeded my expectations a fair bit. I had *hoped* to make these numbers with the 10 bolt, but with the 9" it is just shocking to me...

It is a blast, if you mash the loud pedal it just explodes. That's the only way to describe it, no lag, no hesitation at all.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Great results thru an A4. Thats an expensive collaboration of parts. Did Tony spec the cam?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

Tony did spec the cam as part of H/C/I package. Shhh, the wife doesn't know it was expensive, lol.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
Yeah man, these parts with the new tune have exceeded my expectations a fair bit. I had *hoped* to make these numbers with the 10 bolt, but with the 9" it is just shocking to me...

It is a blast, if you mash the loud pedal it just explodes. That's the only way to describe it, no lag, no hesitation at all.
I can relate, nice work man, enjoy
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

I can certainly relate too to the "long time coming" part, but when you finally get there it's certainly worth it!

451/388 through an A4 and a 9" with what most would call a "small" cam with great driveability is just plain stupid. Tony is the f'kn MAN.

Steve, are you running stock rod bolts? And going to 7K? Tony wanted me to do the same but I'm skeered, I had them kill it at 6500...

BTW for those that don't know, my setup is IDENTICAL to therabidweasel's, except my cam is 227/227 on a 114lsa and his is 227/231. I gotta get it back on the rollers for a touch up tune in the spring, I had a lifter take a crap on the dyno and my tuning got cut a little short. Still did 445/391, but I think there's a few more in it.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, 100% stock bottom. You gotta spin it to win it Rob! I'm scared too, but it only sees that at the dyno and the track. We shall see.

Rob we have couple f differences, you are running a yank, mines a circle d. You are running comp short travels and I am running hand-built and matched by Randy Vrooman Johnson 2116 short travels, and you have superior headers and a 10 bolt...I bet you end up 10-15 more than me.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

That setup does make steam.

Glad to hear that you are happy with the tune. Feel free to PM or text when you want to get together and get the cold start issue ironed out.

Uncorrected the car was making 470ish - which is really stout for a 347 setup.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Yes, 100% stock bottom. You gotta spin it to win it Rob! I'm scared too, but it only sees that at the dyno and the track.
Why is that? Lower shift points? Mine are at 6500 (I think) and it has pinged 6700 once on the 1-2 shift because the tires and the ashpalt were traveling at different speeds.

Rob we have couple f differences, you are running a yank, mines a circle d. You are running comp short travels and I am running hand-built and matched by Randy Vrooman Johnson 2116 short travels, and you have superior headers and a 10 bolt...I bet you end up 10-15 more than me.
True, but of those things I think the only two that would make any difference are the headers and the 10 bolt. So same except for cam (although very similar), headers, 10 bolt.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rickenbackerman
Why is that? Lower shift points? Mine are at 6500 (I think) and it has pinged 6700 once on the 1-2 shift because the tires and the ashpalt were traveling at different speeds. .
Nah, I think Kevin has me shifting at 6800. . .at minimum with these tires at the current road temps I really cant hit it very hard without putting myself and others in danger. I guess you could say I suck, but I've done had my mediflight due to too much vehicle and too few skills.

True, but of those things I think the only two that would make any difference are the headers and the 10 bolt. So same except for cam (although very similar), headers, 10 bolt.
Well, I think the hand massaged and leakdown matched lifters are probably worth a pony here or there, we know my cam is good for 5 or so. The little bits add up. Dont get me wrong, you'll beat me by 10whp or more once you get her tuned, I'm just happy to be in the running. Oh, I dont know how the converters compare, circle d and yank, but that can certainly affect your torque.

Last edited by therabidweasel; 11-19-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NoGo
That setup does make steam.

Glad to hear that you are happy with the tune. Feel free to PM or text when you want to get together and get the cold start issue ironed out.

Uncorrected the car was making 470ish - which is really stout for a 347 setup.
ehem. . it was 475 I believe LOL.

Seriously man, I REALLY appreciate what you've done with the car. I've got to keep it alive with my foot for the first few minutes due to the vestiges of that old tune, but after it's off the cold start table its awesome. A few other tweaks for it as well, nothing major, just to accomodate my old man driving habits.

EVERYONE comments on the throttle response. . .
Old 11-20-2012, 01:14 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys,

Thought I would chime in quickly

I'm very pleased with the outcome of this project and I have to say that Steve was a real trooper along the way, double and triple checking things and even going back into the engine because he was unsure if certain aspects were correct after a conversation he and I had shortly after buttoning a few things up. It was trial by fire for him with this build requiring more technical/engine related knowledge than any other projects he tackled in the past. While he had his share of trying times, he always managed a good attitude and never lost his patience (his wife may have been slipping.....LOL).

Anyway the main reason I wanted to step in hear besides giving Steve a little kudos on a job well done is to reinforce the terrific "balance" this package represents. It's making big head/big cam numbers without any of the trade offs the big head/big cam formula always brings to the table (crappy performance anything under 3500 RPM's, cam surge at cruise RPM, poor tip in response, and horrible fuel economy).

While its certainly more costly to do it this route (everything has to be optimized for a combination with smaller heads and less cam to punch a big number), the ends justify the means and you end up with the proverbial have your cake and eat it too scenario. A car thats easy to drive....easy to live with, yet makes big power with a really broad power curve and is explosive at practically any RPM. It makes a 346 feel like a 383 and if you experienced this versus the less expensive more traditional path of going BIG, I suspect some of you would save longer and invest in a more efficient approach to get the desired results and not pay dearly in 90% of your actual driving time (assuming we are discussing a car that spends the bulk of its time on the street and not at the track).

Doing more with less is always challenging, but the explosiveness and power/torque delivery from a very efficient combination like this puts a grin on your face for years to come....or at least till your knees aren't shaking as much after a long hard run (and the wheels in your head start turning devising a future plan to make even MORE), but even then the rip from the engine will always get your adrenaline going and even though you may be more used to it, it never gets old.

Steve....let me be the first to ask for some in car video coverage perhaps?....LOL

Congrats man....long road and you deserve all the glory

Steve, are you running stock rod bolts? And going to 7K? Tony wanted me to do the same but I'm skeered, I had them kill it at 6500...

Shifting at 6500 (or worse yet banging the rev limiter there) with a combination like this (you guys essentially have the same combo....splitting hairs here) is like taking Secretariat around the horse track pulling on his reins the entire trip. Let er eat Rob.....if I had a quarter for every time my AFR heads/cam 346 in my Vette hit 7K I would be doing all right. If you want to be conservative set the limiter at 6850-6900 and shift it around 6800.

Had to bust your chops Rob.....hell if it breaks its just an excuse to go bigger anyway! Figured you might drop in and visit Steve's thread....hope your doing well!

Cheers,
Tony
Old 11-21-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

Tony,

It's super cool that you're proud of what we've come up with. My biggest fear was my mediocre wrench skills and some parts choices might water down your results. I'm glad that didn't happen.

But like I've said in other threads, while the parts are absolutely the bee's knees and the results are killer, the help and very detailed explanations are what has made the purchase a bargain...don't sell yourself short on that, because it's huge.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

But like I've said in other threads, while the parts are absolutely the bee's knees and the results are killer, the help and very detailed explanations are what has made the purchase a bargain...don't sell yourself short on that, because it's huge.
AMEN. I've got literally almost three hundred emails back and forth with the guy about my car.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

what compression ratio? those are amazing results.

Quick Reply: My 450WHP Mamofied 1LE SS