Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

2004 GTO 870/720 [93 Octane]

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 2004 GTO 870/720 [93 Octane]

I realize this is long overdue, but I finally got around to cleaning up my car in order to take some decent pictures. I would like to thank the following people/companies in no particular order for getting me to where I am today! Each and every one of you helped in getting my car to the next level whether it was through supplying parts, tuning, or just helping me keep my sanity. I sure hope I didn’t forget anyone…

Jeff Heintz and Zach Grubb @ Heintz Racing
Scott Bagshaw @ Bagshaw Metal Fabrication
Kool-aid @ Kooks
Jered Gall @ Gall Racing Engines
Richard @ WCCH
Jason Harding @ Katech Inc.
Jonathan/Martin @ Tick Performance
Frank Rehak @ The Driveshaft Shop
Julio @ Alky Control
Chris Cartier
Jeremy Eck
Travis Wester

The Heintz Racing crew handled all the tuning, troubleshooting/wrenching, and most importantly putting up with me These guys are dedicated to perfection. Anyone that knows Scott Bagshaw knows he is an AMAZING fabricator. He made the roll cage, notched the front fender, radiator cover, fan shroud, axle-backs, and ProCharger Piping. Kool-aid and Scott for helping with all the exhaust “stuff”. After the reputation he has earned on the east coast, the person I chose to build my engine was Jered Gall. The motor has far exceeded my expectations despite the hiccups through the building process. The insight and advice from Richard @ WCCH was greatly appreciated, and I couldn’t have asked for better communication and a smoother transaction. Jason helped me work through some issues I had with my valve covers and some plug wires. Jonathan with Tick Performance helped set me up with a brand new built-up T-56 Magnum that could handle the new found power and also added some spray bungs, while Martin helped with some hydraulic questions and got me lined out with some parts along the way. Frank Rehak has helped with getting the car suited up with a 1-piece driveshaft, 8.8 Setup w/stubs&halfshafts out of Jeremy’s car, and Strange Engineering dual adjustable coilovers. Adding the extra methanol nozzle to the system was made virtually painless by Julio. He just needed a couple of measurement, and bam… the materials were at my doorstep in like 2 days. Travis, Jeremy, and Chris, I would have lost my mind by now if it wasn’t for you guys, and I couldn’t ask for better friends even though y’all have corrupted me beyond belief, haha. Chris painted the entire car for me in August of 2011, along with the intake manifold, radiator cover, valve covers during this last rebuild.

For those of you that don’t know, I took my car down in December of 2011 to freshen up the powertrain although it only had been installed in March of the same year (some parts were in “used” condition), and I had only put 5k miles. I drive the car so reliability is very important to me; I took trips to Charlotte, Richmond, Nashville, and even all the way to Louisiana on the last setup. The motor was pushing a little water during the Eastcoast Shootout, the clutch was being used over its rated power (Monster Lvl. 3; not slipping though), no SFI bellhousing (made me extremely nervous when I tracked the car), the mounting holes in the 8.8 were a little stripped, and the exhaust was waaaaay undersized. Most of the aforementioned parts/work was performed in 2011 aside from the following:

• Rebuilt 402 – Pretty much only kept the block, crank and rods from the previous setup; kept the same 10.5:1 SCR.
• Kooks 1-7/8” stepped to 2” Headers – Coated by Swain Tech
• Kooks Dual 3” w/X-pipe & Mufflers
• Spec Super Twin P-Trim
• QuickTime Bellhousing
• Freshened-up T-56 Magnum
• Freshened-up 8.8 Rearend/Heli-coil Threads
• Mini-tub/Notched Control Arms
• Custom Rear Suspension/Notched Frame
• ASP 10-Rib Pulley Swap
• Added Extra Meth Nozzle
• 4” Procharger Suction Pipe/Notched Fender
• New Disconnect/Junction Boxes
• Re-wired Alternator, Starter and Battery
• A bunch of other piddly stuff…

As a testament to the tuning, I can drive the car in 6th gear @ 80mph (~1750 RPMs), and the engine just purrs like a kitten, no bucking, surging, etc. When the go-pedal is mashed, the power application feels soooo much different than before; it doesn’t feel like it is falling on its face at all. It also still drives like a dream around town despite the atrocious on/off clutch when taking off. I’ve yet to take it on a long distance flat trip, but I still managed high-teens when I drove her back from Charlotte through the mountains. All-in-all I couldn’t be happier with the results even though it came with a lot of headaches, burns, cuts, bruises, swearing, sorrowful drinking binges, and a damaged bank account even with me doing a majority of all the wrenching/cutting/welding.

All of that being said, below is a comparison graph with the latest setup vs. previous setup. Keep in mind this is on 93 pump gas with only 16* of timing in the midrange and 15* in the upper range. I was curious as to what the MUCH larger cam (~5.5* more overlap than before) would do with the larger heads (previous heads were AFR 225s), but I would say the curve profile was pretty close to what I was expecting… I actually didn’t expect to pick much power up. There is still have a little bit left in the blower (maybe 2.5k RPMs), but I don’t see myself changing it anytime soon!

Once again, thanks for the help from EVERYONE!

Last edited by RacerBill; 04-02-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy insane picture sizing batman
Old 04-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Thanks for the props Johnathon. Always enjoy working with you! See you at the ECS, for hopefully some good numbers!

Thanks again!

Zach
Old 04-01-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What kinda size tires and wheels? Is it tubbed?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HolyShiznit
Holy insane picture sizing batman
Sorry, I'm working on that... I thought they'd resize once I posted them.

Originally Posted by Heintz Racing
Thanks for the props Johnathon. Always enjoy working with you! See you at the ECS, for hopefully some good numbers!

Thanks again!

Zach
You're very welcome. Thanks again for being patient with my OCD tendencies! I'm DEFINITELY looking forward to the ECS.

Originally Posted by redtan
What kinda size tires and wheels? Is it tubbed?
I still have on the same wheels and tires as before the mini-tub [18x10 w/295s]. I am torn between widening the current wheels to 18x12 or just buying a new set altogether. I have room to completely tuck 345s, but I can't seem to find a decent selection in 18" so I will most likely end up with 335s.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the props! Glad to be a very small part of your build!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So glad to see you happy with the results and a completed car. Just make sure you drive this thing out to St. Louis this summer so I can actually see it move this time.
Brandyn
Old 04-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Launching!

man that looks real sweet. cant wait to see it run.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

can't crop drooling, looks good JJ ! Might have to come out to TN just to see this thing....

Congrats !!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

you know the full specs on the wheels they fit nicely
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Thanks for the props! Glad to be a very small part of your build!!!
You're welcome! Without this transmission she wouldn't be going anywhere

Originally Posted by thehazz12
So glad to see you happy with the results and a completed car. Just make sure you drive this thing out to St. Louis this summer so I can actually see it move this time.
Brandyn
Thanks buddy... St. Louis is definitely on my list of 'places to visit' this summer/fall.

Originally Posted by Driveshaft Shop
man that looks real sweet. cant wait to see it run.
Thanks Frank! See you in a few weeks.

Originally Posted by JoeyG2
can't crop drooling, looks good JJ ! Might have to come out to TN just to see this thing....

Congrats !!
Thanks mang! Come'on down... might be up in your direction soon so keep your eyes... errrr I mean ears peeled.

Originally Posted by yelo04goat
you know the full specs on the wheels they fit nicely
Sure do... they are the standard ROH Drift-R specs. I believe the rears are +50et, but I will have to check again to be sure. I plan on having the faces milled ~5-6mm to pull them in more and also have them widened 2". I was going to get a set of CCWs, but I decided last night that I am going to try to stop the bleeding now with this car.

More shameless pics of the car although I don't really have any that do the pearl in the paint justice:

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice GTO, One of the nicest ive seen!!!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:04 PM
9 Second Club

Congrats on getting that thing put back together buddy. I am 1 of the few people that know the frustrations of putting together a build like that. That being said, I also know how good it feels to be done even though it never ends Haha
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Was this car at Bristol street fights Saturday?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1999BlueTA
Nice GTO, One of the nicest ive seen!!!
That's very flattering. Thanks!

Originally Posted by T-Bones Goat
Congrats on getting that thing put back together buddy. I am 1 of the few people that know the frustrations of putting together a build like that. That being said, I also know how good it feels to be done even though it never ends Haha
Thanks, Travis! Haha, no doubt!

Originally Posted by andys02r1
Was this car at Bristol street fights Saturday?
Yep, sure was. That's where the first pic in post #11 is from.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Best looking YJ I have seen since HRJ's Monaro swap back in the day! (he ran the same ROH wheels)

I wanted a Procharger before I even bought my Goat but ended up staying NA due to budget...and then it wasn't enough (and kept breaking), so budget got inflated to feed a big nasty setup.

Your pics and build are fantastic - thanks for posting up and keeping the Holden flag flying! :-)
Old 04-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stang2Goat
Best looking YJ I have seen since HRJ's Monaro swap back in the day! (he ran the same ROH wheels)

I wanted a Procharger before I even bought my Goat but ended up staying NA due to budget...and then it wasn't enough (and kept breaking), so budget got inflated to feed a big nasty setup.

Your pics and build are fantastic - thanks for posting up and keeping the Holden flag flying! :-)
I'm very flattered... thanks!!! I need to figure out how to edit these raw photos though.

N/A is a blast, and I definitely loved one of my previous builds that was N/A.

Long live the Holden!!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Glad you finally got it finished. Can't wait to see it at the ecs.
Trenton
Old 04-04-2013, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

the pearl really sets it apart from other YJ i bet i wanted to do the same.. the factory color just cant POP like an slight pearl can looks great
Old 04-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL it's finally done.....no wait.....it's never done......this stuff never ends lmfao. Glad you are finally getting out an enjoyng that monster. We'll have to get both cars together for a yj photoshoot one of these days.

Quick Reply: 2004 GTO 870/720 [93 Octane]