Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Stock vs Granatelli wires

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by z-camaro
So to get the full benefit from the increase in spark wouldn't you need to re-tune the car to throw in some more fuel?

Would the 0 resistance (and any change in inductance or capacitance) of the wires have any affect on timing?
Originally Posted by redbird555
I asked granatelli the same thing and they said no... I have a set coming in the mail tomorrow so I'll post up a review on them vs my 6 yo msd's
Redbird, they said no to the fuel part, or to the timing part?

Granatelli, could you provide some discussion on this?
Old 06-18-2015, 08:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they said no to both. you're not altering air or spark so you're not changing whats going into the cylinder so there really shouldnt be a change in af you are just introducing a better spark for a more complete burn
Old 06-18-2015, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Pretty sure the coils are super powerful compared to ole distributors. The coils produce more then enough to light the combustion efficently in factory form. Factory coils have been in 2k hp applications. I just don't see wires gaining 20 hp. But I have been wrong before.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think about the ignition coil as a faucet, the ignition wire as a hose, the hose head as the spark plug, and water is the electricity. No matter how much the faucet flows, if there is a restriction/resistance in the hose, the hose head won’t see as much water.

Now, eliminate the restriction and/or resistance. Water will flow easier and faster through the hose and more of it will get to the hose head.

If your factory ignition wire has a resistance, the spark from the coil pack is not getting to the spark plug. Eliminating that resistance is where the increased horsepower is coming from. There are eight ignition wires which have up to 2000+ Ohms of resistance. Eliminating that resistance gains back the horsepower which would normally be lost.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by granatelli sales
Think about the ignition coil as a faucet, the ignition wire as a hose, the hose head as the spark plug, and water is the electricity. No matter how much the faucet flows, if there is a restriction/resistance in the hose, the hose head won’t see as much water.

Now, eliminate the restriction and/or resistance. Water will flow easier and faster through the hose and more of it will get to the hose head.

If your factory ignition wire has a resistance, the spark from the coil pack is not getting to the spark plug. Eliminating that resistance is where the increased horsepower is coming from. There are eight ignition wires which have up to 2000+ Ohms of resistance. Eliminating that resistance gains back the horsepower which would normally be lost.
With all your back to back dyno experience what would my car in sig be gaining over msd wires?
Old 06-25-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an FYI.. All though I have posted my results being positive (Gaining 20ish rwhp over stock wires on a 418" motor, two different days 2 years apart), I got a chance to run the competitors wires at the track.

The N20 controller that would not come on with the Granatelli's now works just fine.
My Shift noid that would not work, now works just fine again.

I have said they work great NA, but they are noisy and could lead to some EMI issues.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just curious how does the nitrous controller and shift stuff work? I use a lingenfelter box to trigger my ls3 58x reluctor or wheel and haven't noticed any issues but they are most likely two completely different systems
Old 06-27-2015, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

I like my granitelli wires. They seemed to almost eliminate my misfires. Msd wires are junk imo. When i had a set 8 changed back to stock.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug wires

Lost to what? We aren't consuming 20 hp worth of electricity in the ignition system. Are you claiming better combustion or are you claiming that the electrical energy somehow is transferred to the pistons and directly increases the power?
Old 06-29-2015, 03:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ProServ
Lost to what? We aren't consuming 20 hp worth of electricity in the ignition system. Are you claiming better combustion or are you claiming that the electrical energy somehow is transferred to the pistons and directly increases the power?
The inherent resistance in the factory ignition wires robs spark energy. When you decrease / eliminate the resistance, more of the spark energy from the coil pack goes to the spark plug. The elimination of the resistance in the wires is where the HP is coming from.

The enemy of performance is restrictions / resistance. When you eliminate resistances and restrictions, you get better performance.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

The inherent resistance in the factory ignition wires robs spark energy. When you decrease / eliminate the resistance, more of the spark energy from the coil pack goes to the spark plug. The elimination of the resistance in the wires is where the HP is coming from.

The enemy of performance is restrictions / resistance. When you eliminate resistances and restrictions, you get better performance.
How is more energy in the spark going to ignite more then the amount of fuel that is present in the combustion chamber. It doesn't work that way.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:37 PM
FormerVendor

Not all the fuel is being burned in the engine with the stock wires, With the Granatelli you get a more fuller burn/ spark
Old 06-29-2015, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

So there is 20 hp worth of Unburned fuel in the cylinders? The coils produce more than enough energy to light off all the fuel I imagine.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand your claims either. The spark plug, just starts the chain chemical reactions growing outwards towards the bore. As long as the chain starts should be all that matters. For an example, if you have a long dominoes trail setup, it would not matter if i barely tipped the first dominoe over with my finger, or uppercutted it with the force of chuck norris. As long as it starts the reaction.... we're good.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
I don't understand your claims either. The spark plug, just starts the chain chemical reactions growing outwards towards the bore. As long as the chain starts should be all that matters. For an example, if you have a long dominoes trail setup, it would not matter if i barely tipped the first dominoe over with my finger, or uppercutted it with the force of chuck norris. As long as it starts the reaction.... we're good.
This is exactly why ive never run anything other then good quality stock plug wires along with good spark plugs (NGK). Magnecore has always been straight up about the truth of spark plug wire gimmicks, ive had their wires in the past too, and they are by far some of the best quality wires I have ever owned, damn MSD's have fallen apart on numerous cars.

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm
Old 06-30-2015, 05:32 AM
TECH Resident

Man last few posts really killed my hype for this lol. At least I saw them before spending my hard earned cash.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
Man last few posts really killed my hype for this lol. At least I saw them before spending my hard earned cash.
I went with a set of taylor thundervolt 8.2 wires for my LS4 this week because of the price on amazon. 58 dollars shipped two day with amazon prime, cheaper then what I would have spent on GMPP wires. Their very well made, probably some of the best ive seen, and they all tested at exactly 27.4 ohm's on all 8 wires, which I was surprised by that level of precision. While the ohms of the wire probably doesn't matter in the long run, the quality is what i was going for more then anything and they are fantastic.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:49 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz

Old 07-08-2015, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

What is your response to that article posted above then? It debunks low resistance wires very effectively.... Would like to know if you have some science to counter that science.

It's odd that I can find very little independent testing and results from outside sources as well... If these power gain claims were legitimate I imagine there would be a lot more people hyped up about it and sharing their positive results. Yet all I could find on this forum was one thread in which a guy claimed 5whp/wtq under the curve, with the same peak numbers. Not terrible for the cost but still far from what you claimed.

Last edited by badformulaLS1; 07-08-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

I find it odd that he posted the same post he posted 13 post ago.

Quick Reply: Stock vs Granatelli wires