Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

cam only c5z dyno

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam only c5z dyno

mods are:
Torquemax stage 3 cam (235/243 .623/.621 111 +2)
cloyes billet timing set with c5r chain
brian tooley .660 springs with titanium retainers
brian tooley 7.4 pushrods
kooks 1 7/8 headers
kooks offroad x-pipe
corsa indy axleback
RM twin intake
ngk tr6 plugs
msd wires

the dyno numbers were a little lower than i had hoped for (415-420whp) but it feels strong on the street. Torque curve is nice and it didnt drop off hp at all. Im thinking of raising the limiter from the current 6600-6800 rpm.

idle vid
Old 07-04-2013, 11:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Solid numbers, and beautiful car!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Love that lope at idle! I'm sure it turns some heads at the gas station. Congrats man!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

thanks guys
Old 07-06-2013, 03:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Spin that bitch to 6800, that is where mine is set too. Those are decent numbers for that setup. Some good heads and a 102/102 might get you damn close to 500 on a dynojet. And that sounds is awesome. It makes me want to get rid of the Ti's I still have. Congrats
Old 07-06-2013, 06:44 AM
On The Tree

Thanks man I love the corsa. Even with no cats its quiet in the car
Old 07-06-2013, 07:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 437 Likes on 344 Posts

To me your numbers are pretty far off. I would expect 440+ out of a cammed ls6. Afast intake would help you a bunch. I made ....well it's in the sig.....that's full bolt-on ls6. Dynojet numbers would be 431whp/408wtq for a comparison.

Oh....you need to turn it 7000-7200. My limiter is at 7000/shift 6800 with the stock cam.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

440 is a bit much for a cam only ls6
Old 07-06-2013, 03:59 PM
10 Second Club

Not at all. Solid bolt-on cars go over 400whp. I'm not trying to insult you.....just letting you know it's not quite where it should be. My results with a bolt-on ls6 should be enough to show you that.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So Hio, where's your cam only 440hp+ car then? Since it's so easy and all...
Old 07-06-2013, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

We all know that every dyno reads different. I've seen a 400 whp ls6 dyno sheet in an f body but it was a generous dyno.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:50 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm gonna say nicely done

No start up flare just rolls nicely to commanded, what was the temp when you started?

That really is a good size cam, how does it drive? Below 2K rpm.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

The temp on that start was around 175. It has a little bit of surging as you would expect but nothing crazy.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Guitar
So Hio, where's your cam only 440hp+ car then? Since it's so easy and all...
I don't have a cam only ls6. I have a stock cammed ls6 that makes 417rwhp on a stingy dyno and it makes 431 on a dynojet..........and it has the et/trap to back it up. How's your mid 12sec h/c car doin?
Originally Posted by 92 silverado
We all know that every dyno reads different. I've seen a 400 whp ls6 dyno sheet in an f body but it was a generous dyno.
400whp is not generous at all for a ls6 f-body. Mine went over 400 (403 to be exact) very 1st time on the dyno 11yrs ago. Had poopy mac headers, stock optional SLP catback and a stock ls6 intake with a ported tb non the less. It is NOT uncommon to see 450+ out of cammed ls6's. What do you think would happen if I cammed mine? I would hope it would pick up 50-60 hp pretty easily. I'm gonna make alot more than 400. i can post my dyno sheet if you like.

Like I said....not trying to offend you. I just think there is room for significant improvement in your combo. IDK if it's in the tune or the parts that was bolted on. Even with a stock ls6 intake you should be well over 400.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I don't have a cam only ls6. I have a stock cammed ls6 that makes 417rwhp on a stingy dyno and it makes 431 on a dynojet..........and it has the et/trap to back it up. How's your mid 12sec h/c car doin?

400whp is not generous at all for a ls6 f-body. Mine went over 400 (403 to be exact) very 1st time on the dyno 11yrs ago. Had poopy mac headers, stock optional SLP catback and a stock ls6 intake with a ported tb non the less. It is NOT uncommon to see 450+ out of cammed ls6's. What do you think would happen if I cammed mine? I would hope it would pick up 50-60 hp pretty easily. I'm gonna make alot more than 400. i can post my dyno sheet if you like.

Like I said....not trying to offend you. I just think there is room for significant improvement in your combo. IDK if it's in the tune or the parts that was bolted on. Even with a stock ls6 intake you should be well over 400.
I'm not calling you out so don't think that, but the problem i think a lot of people have is you have a stock LS6 that has run faster than any stock Z06 did without tires, in a car that weighs more and is less aerodynamic than a Z06. Even with good tires and gears, most if not all stock Z's are running 11.2-11.3. See the concern there?

Personally I am curious what else you have on the car to run that. Cheers
Old 07-06-2013, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, you have 417rwhp with your swiss cheese, faceplated transmission, every ounce spent trying to pull weight/hp out with every part you can, racecar. Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. So since it's so easy to break 440hp on a normal LS6 with stock intake and a few bolt ons + cam, let's see it...show me 10 threads/dyno graphs that are cam only proving it. If it is so easy, plenty of people should have done it....I'll wait.

Oh, and did you put heads on my car overnight? Thanks man, appreciate that. I'm not the one who can't break into the 10s with a 130mph trap either.

Last edited by Guitar; 07-06-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:09 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lookin4aTA
I'm not calling you out so don't think that, but the problem i think a lot of people have is you have a stock LS6 that has run faster than any stock Z06 did without tires, in a car that weighs more and is less aerodynamic than a Z06. Even with good tires and gears, most if not all stock Z's are running 11.2-11.3. See the concern there?

I've posted lots of stuff that's done to my car on this site.....lots of pics, results of dynoing, vids of drag strip, street race, timeslips. It's legit.....and for some reason it pisses of guys like guitar that can't get out the 13's hardly with a cam. My car is modded....it's light......it still functions as my dd with everything it should have including a spare and jack.
Oh, you have 417rwhp with your swiss cheese, faceplated transmission, every ounce spent trying to pull weight/hp out with every part you can, racecar. Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. So since it's so easy to break 440hp on a normal LS6 with stock intake and a few bolt ons + cam, let's see it...show me 10 threads/dyno graphs that are cam only proving it. If it is so easy, plenty of people should have done it....I'll wait.

Oh, and did you put heads on my car overnight? Thanks man, appreciate that. I'm not the one who can't break into the 10s with a 130mph trap either.
Read above dipshit.....and stay of my nuts with your fat ***.

I'm not gonna look for threads for you....they're on here.......look for them. If you weren't so busy chasing me around on this site you woulda seen them by now.

The reason why it don't go into the 10's is............it's still on a 10bolt. Unlike your dumbass that barely runs 12's with a 9" and full suspension.

You don't offend me. Your stupidity makes me laugh. Your one of these idiots that look at cars and wonder how the guy does it...........I'm the guy that does it.

Besides I never said it was easy. If it was your stupid *** would be faster

Sorry for messin up your thread op. I just wanted you to know you still have some power on the table. If someone was trying to give me advice I would take a look at what they have to say. Most on here like guitar want to be offended like they have some phd in car ****. Those are the guys that have **** that performs like ****.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont mean to pick on the op but I also agree for that cam that the numbers are low. However dynos are just tuning tools if it goes and traps 128 then awesome. But mild cammed ls6 cars make around 420 from what I've seen I dont see why this one shouldnt near or beat 430, with a fast it would be a given.

Originally Posted by lookin4aTA

His car Weighs less than a z06 actually from what I have read. I believe hio sits just under 3100 in track trim. and also has about 40 more whp hp than most b olt on z06's so those times are irrelevant here at least to me. why does he have that much? because he has spent a lot of time maximizing a setup. most z06 guys dont bother with an ewp, fast intake, underdrive pulley, 1.8 rockers etc all on a stock internals car. if everyone maxed out their bolt ons his numbers may not be so far fetched, you also must consider that on an fbody the drivetrain saps less power, which is why its more common to see an fbody ls6 car make close to 400.

What does any of that have to do with making 417 whp? His car from what everyone has seen still has a full interior and working a/c. The fact he has it lightened strategically is just smart on his part. The onyl part I would agree on there is that a faceplated trans isnt the best on the street and would normally be found in the racecar but that has nothing to do with the power the car makes or the fact it traps what it does.

Evan with his Boss 302 does essentially the same thing. He makes 460whp with a bolt on boss and has it lightened 300lbs from stock. He's doing the same thing with a different brand and no one on here calls him out for being unrealistic with power numbers even though he has surpassed many bolt on cars.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Read above dipshit.....and stay of my nuts with your fat ***.
Aww, looks like I've hurt little Hio's feelings.
I'm not gonna look for threads for you....they're on here.......look for them. If you weren't so busy chasing me around on this site you woulda seen them by now.
Busy chasing you around the site =/= posting in the same thread you did about a local guy spewing your usual bullshit.
The reason why it don't go into the 10's is............it's still on a 10bolt. Unlike your dumbass that barely runs 12's with a 9" and full suspension.
Oh, so those guys who have cut good 60's on 10 bolts are witch doctors...and nobody can keep a 10 bolt together for one 1.6 60'...I wouldn't call 12.65 with a 1.9 60' in a 3900+ pound car with a broken differential barely 12s, or street suspension "full suspension", but if it makes your butthurt grow that much, sure. Or is it that you can't drive? Because I went 1.77 my first time with a fixed diff and everything...so you can only hit what, 1.7x with a 1000lb lighter car with more hp? You're scared to hurt your "street car" that you trailer to the track? Lol.
You don't offend me. Your stupidity makes me laugh. Your one of these idiots that look at cars and wonder how the guy does it...........I'm the guy that does it.
Besides I never said it was easy. If it was your stupid *** would be faster
Not really. Most car guys can go fast without hacking up and creating a total piece of **** car...apparently not you...

Sorry for messin up your thread op. I just wanted you to know you still have some power on the table. If someone was trying to give me advice I would take a look at what they have to say. Most on here like guitar want to be offended like they have some phd in car ****. Those are the guys that have **** that performs like ****.
So where did you give him advice? Refer to my other post. You're talking about a street car with a few bolt ons that made 410hp in terrible weather. But apparently it's easy to do better, so again, show me the multiple LS6 cam only combos with a few bolt ons and stock intake that have gotten to 440hp easily...again, I'll wait.

Just because you can drill holes in your car and think you're some kind of redneck engineer doesn't mean you have a street car. Your **** is a safety hazard and just because you cover pieces with plastic and sheet metal doesn't make it any less of a pile than it really is. Meents said it pretty well:

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
As long as you're happy...but for safety's sake, it would be a cold day in hell before I'd ever do it to mine.
That doesn't necessarily mean you know what you are doing. I'd hate to see someone try something like this only to have it fail because they just eyeballed it to a "good enough" state...but that's my $.02. Many don't agree with me.
I know some pretty young guys that are crew chiefs on fighter aircraft...so they work on high performance, military aircraft for a living. That doesn't mean they are qualified to make engineering/design choices that could affect the safety of the aircraft. Your 16 years of experience (or "experiance" to directly quote you) doesn't mean you made the best choice for a daily driven car. I don't think what you did was warranted for the relatively small weight savings you saw, nor do I think it was a well thought-out decision. But since you are happy, that is all that matters. I'm just glad you don't live near me so I don't have to worry about your car falling apart as you drive down the road next to me.

In all honesty, if you wanted a lighter frame, you probably should have started out with a better platform.
Just because you worked as a janitor on some racecar team for a few years doesn't mean you're an expert...but I guess you can always play one in your garage.

And I'll tell you what, since it's easy to get a bolt on car to 11s, here: I'll bet you $500 that you can't drive my car as it sits to 11.5 (mid 11s) or better with 3 passes. Since it is so easy to get to 11s in a bolt on car, your mother could probably do mid 11s in a cammed LS car, right?

Last edited by Guitar; 07-07-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

437whp http://m.corvetteforum.com/c5-z06-di...o-numbers.html cam specs 239/242 .600 lift

445whp and 450whp http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...ly-c5-z06.html

430whp baby eps ls6 in fbody https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...k-results.html

this is what I found in a 5 min google search. the op's car did not dyno very well. hell some ls1 cars make close to that with a big cam like the op has. all of these cars are still on the ls6 intake

Quick Reply: cam only c5z dyno