Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Simple yet Strong. 550/500 418"/243/Fast 102

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 08:37 AM
74u
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
All dynos are different though. You're comparisson only is valid if both cars were dyno'd on the same dyno.

I can't believe these power figures are that unreliable...yet so many educated, experienced folks participate in the dyno section.

In my case I was pointing out my TEA CNC's Trickflows are clearly being out powered & out torqued by worked stock castings.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:38 AM
74u
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Goosecaddy05
yeah there is a 40-50 hp variance between 4 different dynojets in my area. Dynos are not at all an accurate way to compare hp between cars in different locations. Both cars have to be on same dyno one after another to be accurate comparison.
If that's the case why is everybody so impressed (myself included)?
Old 11-04-2014, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 74u
I can't believe these power figures are that unreliable...yet so many educated, experienced folks participate in the dyno section.

In my case I was pointing out my TEA CNC's Trickflows are clearly being out powered & out torqued by worked stock castings.
Your attributing everything to the heads. I'm sure your cam is different than the OP's cam. Do you have the exact same intake setup, do you have the exact same valve-train setup, is your exhaust setup exactly the same as the OP's, do you have the exact same rear-end as the OP, is your gear ratio the same, are you running the exact same size wheel/tire, did the same person tune both cars, etc. Do you see what I'm saying? Unless EVERYTHING else is equal, you can't make a bold statement like that. It may not be your heads that are limiting your setup. It could be a wide variety of things. Too many times people only thing in terms of the heads or cam as to why the setup didn't do what I expected it to do. A lot of the time it comes down to the small things. From my many years of being on here and looking at the setups that make killer numbers on the dyno and lay down fast as **** ET's on the strip, all of them have one thing in commons. They all have well thought out builds. Not just some high end heads and a big *** cam, but all the little things like a lightweight valve train setup, a correct matched intake setup, a great headers/exhaust combo, and spot on tuning.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Great numbers!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:33 AM
74u
TECH Regular

Your attributing everything to the heads. I'm sure your cam is different than the OP's cam. Do you have the exact same intake setup, do you have the exact same valve-train setup, is your exhaust setup exactly the same as the OP's, do you have the exact same rear-end as the OP, is your gear ratio the same, are you running the exact same size wheel/tire, did the same person tune both cars, etc. Do you see what I'm saying? Unless EVERYTHING else is equal, you can't make a bold statement like that. It may not be your heads that are limiting your setup. It could be a wide variety of things. Too many times people only thing in terms of the heads or cam as to why the setup didn't do what I expected it to do. A lot of the time it comes down to the small things. From my many years of being on here and looking at the setups that make killer numbers on the dyno and lay down fast as **** ET's on the strip, all of them have one thing in commons. They all have well thought out builds. Not just some high end heads and a big *** cam, but all the little things like a lightweight valve train setup, a correct matched intake setup, a great headers/exhaust combo, and spot on tuning.
Well, this idea is makes more sense than your last (it was the dyno's fault originally). But you've made some assumptions that need clearing up.

I already stated this car has a "substantially larger" cam in my original posting...mine is a custom grind 239/246...not some random donkey stick.

This combo has a stock 102 vs my 92 with lightly ported runners & throated to 95mm. Not a BIG difference in power here...most vendore I have talked to think I could be leaving 10 rwhp behind compared to a 102.

This combo has a potentially better (thicker) push rod setup.

Both combos are within half a point on SCR.

Both have 1 3/4" headers. Mine makes less power & torque through the exhaust, and open headers.

The guy who set the fuel & timing for a WOT pull shouldn't make that big of a difference either, but for what it's worth my tuner is highly reputable.

We can split hairs, but the fact is this combo makes more power & more torque everywhere. Mine has high dollar aftermarket castings, and his ported stockers are beating me up.

Interesting fact: My last combo (404) was making more power with Partiot ported 243's, less compression, and a bit larger cam...all other supporting mods are the same. Something is wrong with this...most every knowledgable vendor who has looked at my car, or I've discussed my combo with seem to think the heads are to blame.

Last edited by 74u; 11-04-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 74u
Well, this idea is makes more sense than your last (it was the dyno's fault originally). But you've made some assumptions that need clearing up.

I already stated this car has a "substantially larger" cam in my original posting...mine is a custom grind 239/246...not some random donkey stick.

This combo has a stock 102 vs my 92 with lightly ported runners & throated to 95mm. Not a BIG difference in power here...most vendore I have talked to think I could be leaving 10 rwhp behind compared to a 102.

This combo has a potentially better (thicker) push rod setup.

Both combos are within half a point on SCR.

Both have 1 3/4" headers. Mine makes less power & torque through the exhaust, and open headers.

We can split hairs, but the fact is this combo make more power & more torque everywhere. Mine has high dollar aftermarket castings, and his ported stockers are beating me up.

Interesting fact: My last combo (404) was making more power with Partiot ported 243's, less compression, and a bit larger cam.
I still think your car and the OP's car being dyno'd on different dyno's is a big factor. As others have posted, there can be a variance of up to 40 HP difference between dyno's. In this case, maybe not 40 HP difference, but it could be substantial. If both you and the OP can provide information from some track runs, that would be a far better tool for comparing power. I'd venture to say that your trap speed and the OP's trap speed won't be that much different.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:16 AM
74u
TECH Regular

I still think your car and the OP's car being dyno'd on different dyno's is a big factor. As others have posted, there can be a variance of up to 40 HP difference between dyno's. In this case, maybe not 40 HP difference, but it could be substantial. If both you and the OP can provide information from some track runs, that would be a far better tool for comparing power. I'd venture to say that your trap speed and the OP's trap speed won't be that much different.
He is in a vette, I'm in a 4th gen so it would be hard to compare traps I think.

Both have m6 w/4.10's - I'm going to bet he is on a larger tire - mine are 275/40/17's.

My car weighs 3720 with me in the driver's seat and went 92mph in the 1/8th mile on the stock size street radials. Less than perfect traction but there isn't much left MPH wise even on a perfect run. This is a couple MPH slower than my 404 w/Patriot 243's.

I hate to waste money beating a dead horse but it would be interesting to dyno at Corvette World since I'm local.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pray
Nice. I was actually wondering what the runner cc's were. I am guessing they are in the 240's with being able to support 418 cubes and 550rw. It may have been listed but what size valves were used? Is that a 243 head record?

I have taken what you have taught me and designed what I think is the perfect cam for my cts-v. I am going to pull the heads and see if I can beat my old flow numbers. I will run the specs by you later.
Ehh, I don't really like "internet records" especially when it comes to dyno numbers. E.T. slips get me going more so in that regards than spinning the rollers. Although I feel this combination would run exceptionally well at the track.

Let me know how the V does!
Originally Posted by 74u
Depressing seeing this thing 70hp/35tq stronger than my TEA Trickflow 416...and a substantially bigger cam that hit's 400ft. lbs 250rpm sooner

Out of curiosity how would that cam drive on the street? Would it surge in traffic jam driving (M6)?
I hate you had the issues you have had with your combination. I know there is something holding it back. Did you ever feel like maybe taking me up on my exhaust offer? It still stands 100%.

My cost on the parts, you cover shipping. Let's see if we can't get some more power out of that thing.
Originally Posted by ranmas2004
Bored .080" over on the stock aluminum block???? no sleeves??? You can do that??
LS3 block.
Originally Posted by Pray
Pretty sure it is a LS3 block bored .020" over. No cause for alarm.
Got it!
All dynos are different though. You're comparisson only is valid if both cars were dyno'd on the same dyno.
This is true and I preach it a lot. That said, 74u's issues have been public knowledge on this forum with his dyno thread.

I'm not sure if you posted in it or saw it, but it definitely didn't make the torque or HP anyone expected.
Originally Posted by 74u
He is in a vette, I'm in a 4th gen so it would be hard to compare traps I think.

Both have m6 w/4.10's - I'm going to bet he is on a larger tire - mine are 275/40/17's.

My car weighs 3720 with me in the driver's seat and went 92mph in the 1/8th mile on the stock size street radials. Less than perfect traction but there isn't much left MPH wise even on a perfect run. This is a couple MPH slower than my 404 w/Patriot 243's.

I hate to waste money beating a dead horse but it would be interesting to dyno at Corvette World since I'm local.
Give Frank a call and tell him I sent you. See what happens at least.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll have to take a look back at his dyno thread. It sounds like you kind of know what's going on and are trying to help him out.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:06 PM
74u
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I hate you had the issues you have had with your combination. I know there is something holding it back. Did you ever feel like maybe taking me up on my exhaust offer? It still stands 100%.

My cost on the parts, you cover shipping. Let's see if we can't get some more power out of that thing.

I really appreciate the offer and would have taken you up on it months ago but I just haven't had any significant money to throw at it. While it missed the mark from a performance standpoint - the car has been my daily driver since completed and it runs good/reliable...so I'm stuck waiting.

I'm probably looking at tax refund time before I have enough extra cash to make a play.

With that in mind - everything sitting on top of the shortblock is on the table. Full exhaust upgrade is a given, but maybe some different heads? Worked 243's, or...??, maybe a 102 upgrade just to rule it out? My goal still is100mph in the eighth/125mph in the quarter on my street rubber. I just don't think I'm going to get there on an exhaust upgrade alone.

Also looking at gearing that may be more suited to my street tire/high MPH goal.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 74u
I really appreciate the offer and would have taken you up on it months ago but I just haven't had any significant money to throw at it. While it missed the mark from a performance standpoint - the car has been my daily driver since completed and it runs good/reliable...so I'm stuck waiting.

I'm probably looking at tax refund time before I have enough extra cash to make a play.

With that in mind - everything sitting on top of the shortblock is on the table. Full exhaust upgrade is a given, but maybe some different heads? Worked 243's, or...??, maybe a 102 upgrade just to rule it out? My goal still is100mph in the eighth/125mph in the quarter on my street rubber. I just don't think I'm going to get there on an exhaust upgrade alone.

Also looking at gearing that may be more suited to my street tire/high MPH goal.
I understand completely regarding the monetary issue, this hobby isn't cheap for most blue collar families and working men/women.

Before completely giving up on your heads and throwing in the towel, if you feel like it I'd highly recommend sending them to someone like Chris@Frankenstein Racing Heads for an evaluation.

He could quite possibly be able to find the proverbial needle in the haystack in regards to your power loss issues.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 585 Likes on 406 Posts

What do yall think it will make at the flywheel?
Old 11-05-2014, 05:54 PM
FormerVendor

This engine?
Old 11-05-2014, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
What do yall think it will make at the flywheel?
should be around 640 crank if its in the 535-545whp range
Old 11-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Teching In

I know what I am doing for my next build haha impressive numbers!! do you have to run race gas?
Old 11-06-2014, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

No need for race gas on this combo. Only time you have to run race gas is if the compression ratio is really high.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

good to see Livernois 243s getting it done.
i don't feel so bad about having 3R heads on my 402.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:07 PM
FormerVendor

No race gas needed on this combination.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:58 AM
sbf
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

martin.is there a way we could get the same power without 660 lift cam.i have tea stage 2 heads and the springs are only 650 lift,now if i have to change springs i would but the pac 1207x are 700 lift how would these springs do with alot of milage.i see someone put it should be 640hp@fly wheel thats really stout. martin what u think

Last edited by sbf; 11-09-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

awesome setup! I am looking to do a similar build.

Quick Reply: Simple yet Strong. 550/500 418"/243/Fast 102