Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dyno Results With MS3

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there any numbers or any writing itched onto the pushrod? those look freaking clean compared to how my valvetrain looked when i took it apart....
Old 01-01-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

i didnt see any writing on anything. i will look again tomorrow when i go out there to pull the heads off. i was told the engine was rebuilt about 2500 miles ago. so thats probably why they look so clean. and if i have a lifter tapping, how will i be able to tell/fix it when i pull the heads off. i might as well check it since its off.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

i hear a lot about first timers taking off the intake and breaking the oil sending unit. and i CANNOT afford to do this. so are there any tips you can give me on how NOT to break the oil sending unit. ive read the ls1howto.com guide. and it doesnt seem like i would break it. but i just cant mess this stuff up. so could yall help me out. thanks.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vacuum line from the back of the intake to the booster gets cought on it and snaps it in half.be careful when pulling the intake forward to lift the vacuum line above it.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

ok. well i do remember them saying that on ls1howto.com. they were very specific about that. so if thats it, then i should be good. thanks bud.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got in on this thread.
Yeah thats the tamest MS3 I have ever heard.
I have an MS3 in my auto and it idles around 1000 sounds nothing like yours.
My 221/221 on a 112 had more lope.
Hope you figure out what is going on and works out for the best.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

well i am in the process of taking off my driver side head and i just got the intake and header off. when i took the intake off, it looked nasty in there. so here are some pics. does this look normal, and is something missing from the valley cover. like coolant lines or something. this looks nasty and not normal. i can fix the nasty part, im going to clean it up with some break cleaner and tape up the intake on the heads so nothing gets in there. year and and model are in my sig. thanks.

Last edited by badazz99ta; 01-03-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

woohooo. i got my head off. now all i have to do is drill and tap it. how can you check and see if you have a bad lifter. cuz im right here, so i might as well. cuz i really think i have a lifter tapping.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

dam bro..wish i could help. but i still havnt messed with heads yet. but after this weekend it will be a different story

im doing my friends, and then after tax return im doing mine.

hope somebody will chime in and help out..
Old 01-03-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

dude. before this past week the furthest i have been in my car was changing my fuel filter and oil. in the past week ive changed the spark plugs, pulled the pushrods, pulled the intake(without breaking anything), and finally pulling the heads. it is really easy, just very very time consuming and maticulous. so now that im not in any hurry to get the head back on, im going to paint my valve covers a gloss black. ive already cleaned them so i will probably paint them over the next 2 days. and i will probably get the heads back on and running around sunday or monday. i cant wait. well good luck with the heads this weekend man.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here's a video of a 242/242 on a 106 LSA idling like stock to prove that it's in the tune
http://users3.ev1.net/~black_ops/video/242-106.mpg
Old 02-09-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I highly doubt it has a MS3 cam not only by the sound of it. That is a beehive spring with what appears to be titanium retainers, see if a magnet sticks to the retainers to know for sure. I like beehive springs alot but with a cam that large I would most likely be running a double spring like the 921 beehive shimmed, also those look like stock pushrods that have been cleaned up. There is no way I would be running those, especially if there was an aftermarket cam of any type. If the cam is indeed some sort of aftermarket piece, the pushrods may not be the proper length as well. I would question alot of the stuff you were told about the car at this point just by seeing what i have so far. If the engine was rebuilt 2500 miles ago and they didn't take the time to have the heads cleaned up and checked out, then chances are they skimped out in many other places as well. Those heads have an abundance of crud in the intake runners, perhaps look into addressing the PCV issues with a catch can, LS6 PCV, or breathers...your heads have more buildup then mine did at 111K miles.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

^^^yeah i know man. my heads looked nasty. my cylinder heads looked nasty too and felt like really rough sand paper. i plan on seafoaming it very shortly. and i also plan on getting some ls6 heads and putting those on, because im pretty sure i have a bad lifter. so i actually want to have a good reason to take the heads off other than just to change the lifters. but right now i am about to get the tranny rebuilt since its goin out. and i am almost certain that i dont have a cam in this car. and if i do have a bad lifter, what would happen if i keep driving it. i have read A LOT, of threads about all the possibilities of what this noise could be and have eliminated a lot of them. but i just came back to texas for a week and thats a 7 and a half hour drive here and back. and the car seems like it drives fine. i just dont want to mess this thing up further. thanks. Dan
Old 02-10-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Eurospec2
My car has an MS3, and i guarantee you if you heard it run you would not think the cam was that big, they do not lope that much at all if tuned properly..

To the OP, your A/F is all over the place, not sure who tuned it but theres no way i would hand a car back to a customer with a tune that bad, get it to someone who knows what they are doing and get it retuned asap

Yeah it depends on what lsa you got it on.. Two of my friends have the ms3 both on a 113 lsa and they are choppy as hell. One is a zo6 and one is a z28 both with headers and cat back