Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

3 car lengths ='s?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 car lengths ='s?

I havn't ran my car sense it was just lid, cat back, MTI tune. Now I'm full bolt on - h/c. The point is I ran a 12.7 on DRs with catback, tune, lid, and free mods. I havn't ran the car sense I did all the bolt ons because I don't wanna break the 10 bolt, and I have to feather the car too much to launch it without slicks. So I'm just gonna wait and drag it after I get the 9"+ slicks.

What do you think three car lengths at 115 mph = seconds wise? Because that's how bad I took my buddy in his GTO. He ran a 13.1 with perfect traction to I'm tring to get a ballpark of what that means for me.

Even without knowing all the info I just gave you what do you think 3 car lengths as 115 means second wise?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

half a sec. i beat someone at the track by a full second and it had to be about 6-8 lengths.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

here judge for yourself. one second difference in ET.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Yeah it was a little less then that, my buddy said 3 but that's after he got his *** spanked. It deffinately wasn't as big a difference as you beat that guy so probly inbetween .5-.7 which puts me right around where I thought I'd be.

I know this isn't anything solid just something to think about for me sense I wont be running it for a few more months. There's a sucksstang that wants to race in a 5.0 and he ran a 12.2 on slicks so I might give him a run for his money w/ us both on street tires. I havn't had my car tuned sense I did all my bolt ons so I might go get it retuned then go give this stang a run for a few bucks.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

A car length is equal to about .2. So off of his 13.10, you would be around 12.5. Hope your heads and cam were worth quite a bit more then that. You should of been beating him by a car in a half or so before the mods.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:25 AM
Launching!

Yeah maybe I wasn't 100% clear. I'm bolt ons minus h/c. I see why you thought that by the way I worded it with the - like I was saying H/C. It seems like I only picked up maybe half a car on him after installing the headers and LS6 intake so I think I'm just running rich and a tune will give me a shart load more.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

Sense != since.

Sorry, had to say something, good kill on the gto for what its worth.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Thanx, it's just a 04 ls1 with cat back and CAI though.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blubox
Yeah maybe I wasn't 100% clear. I'm bolt ons minus h/c. I see why you thought that by the way I worded it with the - like I was saying H/C. It seems like I only picked up maybe half a car on him after installing the headers and LS6 intake so I think I'm just running rich and a tune will give me a shart load more.
Ohhhh. After reading your first post I thought you meant you had Heads and a Cam - it started to worry me that you were okay with seeing such small gains on a head a cam swap!

I still think you should be able to give it at least a couple runs at the track, just be careful on the launch.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

IDK.....my experiences. 1 length = .10 sec.

HOWEVER.....one length will be ballparked differently from one persons perspective to the next.

ALso........NO offense OP, but this is a Ricer way of guesstimating your ETs.....seriously. Just run the car and find out. Don't do that my car is a mid 12s cause I beat my buddy that ran a 13.1 by 4 lengths crap. PULEASE don't stoop to that level.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ponygt65

HOWEVER.....one length will be ballparked differently from one persons perspective to the next.

ALso........NO offense OP, but this is a Ricer way of guesstimating your ETs.....seriously. Just run the car and find out. Don't do that my car is a mid 12s cause I beat my buddy that ran a 13.1 by 4 lengths crap. PULEASE don't stoop to that level.
No way can lengths directly be related to time unless speed is also added into the equation. 3 lengths at 20MPH and 3 lengths at 130MPH are going to be much different. Which is why he included his speed in his first post.

I don't consider this ricer at all, it's the whole point of this particular sub-forum...is it not?
Old 12-17-2008, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Well there is two reasons I'm not running the 1/4 before i race this mustang. Number one is I don't wanna break my rear end before hand and I have been wanting to run this guy for a while(next track session will be on slicks). Just trying to see how much money I should throw on the line. If we weren't running for money I would just run n see what happens but I'm not lookin to lose any money. Second is how am I going to run it to find out when the track is closed for the winter??? Mark off a 1/4 mile on a public highway and have a friend with a stop watch clock me? lol might not. I also stated in my second post that I knew this was nothing solid i just wanted to judge it to know if I could hang with the shitstang. Thanx for the flame though comparing me to a ricer.

Originally Posted by Counted Out
No way can lengths directly be related to time unless speed is also added into the equation. 3 lengths at 20MPH and 3 lengths at 130MPH are going to be much different. Which is why he included his speed in his first post.

I don't consider this ricer at all, it's the whole point of this particular sub-forum...is it not?
Thanks Counted for the back up.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Counted Out

I'm lost....isn't 0-1320 still 0-1320? If you make it in 13.1 seconds at 'said feet/distance' how does MPH factor when both cars will be there roughly at the same time. IOW, if I'm at 1320 marker with 'an avg TS' of 115 at 13.1 seconds, and my competition is at that marker at 12.9 seconds with 'an avg TS' of 112......how is that still not the same as 12.9@109 vs. 13.1@110? It's still .2 seconds within a certain distance. No? It's distance related to time IE: acceleration of a certain weight within a certain distance. Therefore the 'spacing' will still be the same regardless of MPH.

Another example using your MPH...a car that crosses 1320 with TS of 20 MPH will be LENGTHS behind one going 130...we know this.....but that is because car A) wasn't able to 'accelerate' as quick (note, I didn't say as fast) as car B).

ANother example............if car A) has a track time of 13.0@105 and car B) has a time of 13.0@110, won't they still cross the line at the same point given the ET's are the same?

Maybe I skipped that day in math class.....then again, I've only had one cup of coffee this A.M.

As for 'ricer', I simply gave my opinion and it's not off base to say that's what ricers do...cause it is. That's how they all have 13 sec rides bone stock.
Well there is two reasons I'm not running the 1/4 before i race this mustang. Number one is I don't wanna break my rear end before hand and I have been wanting to run this guy for a while(next track session will be on slicks). Just trying to see how much money I should throw on the line. If we weren't running for money I would just run n see what happens but I'm not lookin to lose any money. Second is how am I going to run it to find out when the track is closed for the winter??? Mark off a 1/4 mile on a public highway and have a friend with a stop watch clock me? lol might not. I also stated in my second post that I knew this was nothing solid i just wanted to judge it to know if I could hang with the shitstang. Thanx for the flame though comparing me to a ricer.

Thanks Counted for the back up.
Tell me Where the Flock you stated you were running for money?....tell me. go ahead and point it out. Up until now, it seemed like a friendly whatever race. I can obviously understand you wanting to get as much info as you can during the off season if you're going to be racing for cash....especially some serious cash. My comments were based on 'bragging rights' (if you would) for a friendly grudge match, which is what it seemed like when you posted.
Second...yes, some people actually do mark off 1320s as best they can when they live multiple hours from a track.

Oh, and as for the quote in your sig.......you obviously didn't realize I quoted it BECAUSE of bowtie blind guys that always make the comment that you stated...like say........"yeah, well, ford has to S/C to beat us". Maybe you haven't been around long enough to be able to pick up on that.
And I also suggested not to stoop to that level. Not that you 'were' a ricer. Maybe you read it out of context.

Last edited by ponygt65; 12-17-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Yeah it was a little less then that, my buddy said 3 but that's after he got his *** spanked. It deffinately wasn't as big a difference as you beat that guy so probly inbetween .5-.7 which puts me right around where I thought I'd be.

I know this isn't anything solid just something to think about for me sense I wont be running it for a few more months. There's a sucksstang that wants to race in a 5.0 and he ran a 12.2 on slicks so I might give him a run for his money w/ us both on street tires. I havn't had my car tuned sense I did all my bolt ons so I might go get it retuned then go give this stang a run for a few bucks.
Read the last line smart guy...RUN FOR A FEW BUCKS = RUN FOR MONEY!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Well since I already DID "STOOP TO THAT LEVEL" you are calling me out. SO JMO. As for not being around long enough. Yeah, I havn't been on this site for the last 3 1/2 years but was on it for a year before that just couldn't remember my login information. So again, JMO. I have a degree and ASE's what do you have, a Mustang and a big mouth?
Old 12-17-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Read the last line smart guy...RUN FOR A FEW BUCKS = RUN FOR MONEY!
You're right...I couldn't see that part over the HUGE PILE OF RICE. Next time I see a post of yours I'll be sure to bring the chopsticks. Or maybe I was too busy laughing that you are ricer comparing to a car that just might beat you and you are calling it a 'suckstang'. IDK...I forget now which it was.
Well since I already DID "STOOP TO THAT LEVEL" you are calling me out. SO JMO. As for not being around long enough. Yeah, I havn't been on this site for the last 3 1/2 years but was on it for a year before that just couldn't remember my login information. So again, JMO. I have a degree and ASE's what do you have, a Mustang and a big mouth?
wow.....congrats......nothing screams jackass like bragging about one's accomplishments. What do I have?...wow, you really are an idiot. What are you 17?

Obviously you didn't visit enough to forget your log in. I mean....here for a year, then gone for 3.5. must have just been busy getting all those ASE's right?
Old 12-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I am proud of my accomplishments. Took me 2 1/2 years. Yeah I'm 17, so what. Yeah it's a suckstang, a 5.0 with a blower, as usual. Sorry some people buy cars and stick to their kind. Not buying Mustangs then sucking GM **** joining a GM website and always talking about how great GMs are. Let me know when people are taking GMs and sticking stang motors in them.

I still don't get the rice jokes. I guess because I don't hang out on any rice forums or know any rice guys...

Aside from getting those ASEs I was raising a kid, so I didn't have time to thumb through post anymore. Now I'm a partner in my own buisness and can do that so lay off.

The point is, this was a thread to find out aproximately what a car length ='s in the 1/4. If you don't like it then laugh your *** all the way out of my post. Even in the first post I said it was a ballpark estimate. Never said this was a way to find absolute 1/4 times. No edits on any of my post, so go read through and see what I said then STFU. This will be my last post arguing with you about it. I'll let you know how much money I win off the SHITSTANG. Since he has the S/C, I'm gonna spray on him and put him down hard.

BTW your right, I'm a jackass. At least I'm a jackass playing for the right team.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I am proud of my accomplishments. Took me 2 1/2 years. Yeah I'm 17, so what. Yeah it's a suckstang, a 5.0 with a blower, as usual. Sorry some people buy cars and stick to their kind. Not buying Mustangs then sucking GM **** joining a GM website and always talking about how great GMs are. Let me know when people are taking GMs and sticking stang motors in them.

I still don't get the rice jokes. I guess because I don't hang out on any rice forums or know any rice guys...

Aside from getting those ASEs I was raising a kid, so I didn't have time to thumb through post anymore. Now I'm a partner in my own buisness and can do that so lay off.

The point is, this was a thread to find out aproximately what a car length ='s in the 1/4. If you don't like it then laugh your *** all the way out of my post. Even in the first post I said it was a ballpark estimate. Never said this was a way to find absolute 1/4 times. No edits on any of my post, so go read through and see what I said then STFU. This will be my last post arguing with you about it. I'll let you know how much money I win off the SHITSTANG. Since he has the S/C, I'm gonna spray on him and put him down hard.

BTW your right, I'm a jackass. At least I'm a jackass playing for the right team.
Congrats on raising the kid and those accomplishments. Regardless of our differences, I can respect that.

I'm not going to touch the dead horse comments of S/C's and yadda yadda. BUT, the comment in my sig was made by me over a Dodge member, because of that same 'dead horse' topic.

How about we just leave it as.....you asked, may answer (which some wont' agree with) is 1 length = approx. .1. But the 'one length' measurement is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Launching!

Agreed. The jokes on me about the sig. I quickly realized that. Thanx and your right.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Agreed. The jokes on me about the sig. I quickly realized that. Thanx and your right.
OK..so.....get him to run street tires. Loss of traction will be on your side.