Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

autobahn top gear run

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 02:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default autobahn top gear run

I was planning on joining the military soon, but a friends told me this. He had seen my car, an asked what occupation I wanted. I told him MP, he then told me if I was lucky I might get sent to germany. Huh? hows that lucky, he said the army would ship my car for free, and I could take it on the autobahn. If I do join i thought this was sweet, my speedo only registers 155 if i go past it will it break? Now he might of had his facts wrong about the free part, I don't know I ain't looked into it. Anyboy else ever wanted to do a top speed run in an f-body on the AUTOBAHN.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:46 AM
TECH Addict

Your speedo will not break and a few people have done it, there is even a dude on here with a silver Z-28 that has run on the Nurburgring before.

I do believe they will ship you car along w/ all your belonging if that is where you get stationed.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats pretty sweet, wonder what those chances will be. What kind of top speed might be possible im not trying to braggs or over do it. But i've had it up to 135 if thew road was longer Do you think 170 is possible. At some point in time i'd like to do 200mph in my car. Not saying now, so i dont need anyone with the bs flag in here
Old 12-21-2008, 04:21 AM
TECH Addict

I have hit the end of the speedo on both my LS1's so ~160-165, 200 mph is possible but will require at least 550whp i have heard. There are a pair of dudes on here that do open road racing in nevada/texas/etc. and the Trans am went 172 nearly bone stock, and the SS went 18x with small heads/cam, he wanted to try for the first stock cube N/A LS1 to hit 200mph. NataSS is his screen name you should hit him up.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

djsanchez2 is correct. As long as you get stationed here then they will ship your car and all of your other household belongings over here. It takes a little while...but they'll all get here.

I've topped out my speedo (~155) quite a few times here. I normally don't drive that fast because my car will drink even more gas faster. I normally drive around 130 km (75-80mph). We pay a little more for fuel here but we don't pay any tax on it. There are places right outside our base where you can buy 100 octane if you wish. They have 98 on base as well (which is what I run). I haven't made it out to the "Ring" yet, but hopefully next year I will get a chance.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if oyu go Army. and you are assigned to any of the major divisions you eventually will do a tour in Germany depending how long you are in service. though now with all the deployments you would have to put in for Germany with a 4187 or ask to be stationed there form the start. its a 2 year tour also.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Banned

Man, I would LOVE to run the ring
Old 12-29-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I spent 9 years in Germany and have driven many cars on the autobahn. Its really not that great with all the traffic and most places have speed limits now. Autobahn 81 is pretty empty and doesn't have a lot of traffic but its older and has some pretty tight turns, at least over 150 MPH. There are a few others that you can get some good high speed runs but they are few. I was just over there for 3 weeks for vacation and it just keeps getting worse. It took 2 hours to drive 60 miles because of traffic. When you can drive though it is fun.

Quick Reply: autobahn top gear run