Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Mustang heads and cams package

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mustang heads and cams package

Hey I know we have some guys on here that deal with Mustags. My brother has an 02gt with hearders, exhaust and intake. My question is how much will a head and cams package help him out and what grinds would you use? Thanks for any help you guys could offer.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

With a heads and cams package he should be able to go to "slow" from where he is currently at which is "very slow".
Old 04-21-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ds98formula
Hey I know we have some guys on here that deal with Mustags. My brother has an 02gt with hearders, exhaust and intake. My question is how much will a head and cams package help him out and what grinds would you use? Thanks for any help you guys could offer.
Tell him to go look at a more Mustang oriented forum like mustangforums.com, the corral, etc. I'm not sure as to who all makes H/C stuff for 2v's but Trickflow probably does as well as many others
Old 04-21-2009, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

you may want to check out some mustang forums, from what I hear those mod motors do not gain THAT much from that particular mod. Don't quote me on that though.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

Ok I will have him check I just figured to start here because of the welth of info on here no matter what the car. Thanks for the replys though.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Trickflow doesn't have a cam package yet to my knowledge. Patriot and Crower do. Most guys like crower stg 2's. Have him look into those along with A GOOD INTAKE and some head work or new heads.

It's not just the cams and heads.....they wont' be most efficient if he doesnt' ahve a good intake and a good tune as well. So, H/C AND intake with a good tune, or don't bother.

BTW - for the money he's gonna spend, he may want to look into a used P1 or D1SC. Roughly $2-3k....same money but more power.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Trickflow doesn't have a cam package yet to my knowledge. Patriot and Crower do. Most guys like crower stg 2's. Have him look into those along with A GOOD INTAKE and some head work or new heads.

It's not just the cams and heads.....they wont' be most efficient if he doesnt' ahve a good intake and a good tune as well. So, H/C AND intake with a good tune, or don't bother.

BTW - for the money he's gonna spend, he may want to look into a used P1 or D1SC. Roughly $2-3k....same money but more power.

Thanks Ill make sure he does some looking around. He has a pretty good intake and a tune is going to be done on a dyno by a good tunner. I seen Patriots heads and was thinking about them. My big question is the cam grinds. They said the package comes with custom grinds to my specs but not sure of good specs for the cams on a mustang. Thanks for all the input
Old 04-21-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ds98formula
Thanks Ill make sure he does some looking around. He has a pretty good intake and a tune is going to be done on a dyno by a good tunner. I seen Patriots heads and was thinking about them. My big question is the cam grinds. They said the package comes with custom grinds to my specs but not sure of good specs for the cams on a mustang. Thanks for all the input
I'm not too familiar with them, but here is a 'search' on cams on SVTP in the 'mustang' section (which is all V6-V8 non SVT.Mach mustangs)

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...archid=4860331
Old 04-21-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Pony, I have been researing all morning. I have seen people with full bolt ons and heads and cam only makeing 310whp. I hope for my brother sake we can do better for his.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

best place to look is fox lake power products. a set of fox lake stage 2 heads with there custom ground cam and a fox lake p-51 intake. sadly tho you will be lucky to see 330-340 to the tire. 2 valves dont have a lot of compression or cubic inch. the way i look at it for about 1500 bucks more than its gonna cost for all of that. the best way to go is pick up a procharger p1sc-2 blower and you will be well on your way to about 420rwhp safely.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

I ll check them out thanks. Yeah I told him I didnt think building a 2v is very smart. Iam try to talk him in to just getting a cobra.

Quick Reply: Mustang heads and cams package