Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

can i take down this cobra

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i take down this cobra

ok everything is coming together with my car, engine was dropped off at the machine shop last Thursday to get bored for the stroker assembly. it seems like its taking forever, anyway i was hanging out with my brother in law and his other cobra owners, he has a gt500 with a huge blower upgrade, like a 3.4 or something like that, not exactly sure, but he was saying that the engine was lowered so it wouldnt hit the hood. anyway i dont plan on keeping up with him, but there was this other young guy there, young for me since im 30. his dad has a really nasty 03-04 cobra, and built another one for his son, i don't know all its mods but it has spray and they were saying that last weekend at the track he ran a best time of 11.30. i dont know the speed. anyhow this kid is soooo full of himself, he was talking all kinds of ****, actually challenged my brother-in-law, but his dad stepped in and told him he wasnt ready for the shelby. LOL kinda took some wind out of his sails. i kept my mouth shut while they all talked and i have asked my bro in law to keep my build on the hush hush. but this kid leaves 150 foot long black marks in front of my house once a week and once my 408 is done and installed i am thinking of calling him out. or at least slapping a time slip down and telling him to beat it. i plan on running bigs and littles because i couldn't hook like i wanted to even with drag radials with the 400whp i had on a heads cam set up. so a ported l92/l76 408 torquer 2 cam, 3.73 gears, DR's, and i have a small dry kit set up for a 100 shot. i am a full weight car, t-tops, leather, all the works. and i weigh 200 even. he is a little guy probably 165, in a cobra stock blower i think, with DR's and spray. ran a best of 11.30 so far. i doubt i will get to the track this season. i am picky and wont pull my car out till its totally done. i have learned my lesson after losing a few races because of not being tuned for my cam and heads. went from 340whp untuned to 400+ tuned.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

IDk enough about Lxx setups to tell you, but sounds like a nasty setup you got going on. Either way, I hope you do. Arrogant ****** like that need to be put in their place....especially when daddy did it all.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you are making around 600rwhp on spray i would imagine. I think you will yank this guy esp if he is on street tires, assuming that you hook and he does not hook well. There is a good chance he spins through 1st and 2nd if you can jump out a god bit then i dont see him reeling you in.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Launching!

only time will tell what my setup will put down, but from doing some digging on here most of the l92 400+ci setups run between 450-550 whp. and cam seems very important. i have tried to copy some of the more successful setups, so I'm hoping for the higher end of that spectrum. but this kid seems to have at least some driver mod, judging by his times.

damn i was hoping you and a few of the other blue oval guys could give me some insight into what kind of mods a cobra running low 11's might have
Old 09-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 180ls1
so you are making around 600rwhp on spray i would imagine. I think you will yank this guy esp if he is on street tires, assuming that you hook and he does not hook well. There is a good chance he spins through 1st and 2nd if you can jump out a good bit then i don't see him reeling you in.
i hope to be in that range on spray. but as for tire, he runs around on DR's at all times, but like me, it doesn't mean it wont spin. i have quite a bit of practice launching my car, but this will be a whole new ballgame with the stroker
Old 09-16-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

that car has 9 second potential with that blower and the right boltons. Which are not a whole lot.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 180ls1
that car has 9 second potential with that blower and the right boltons. Which are not a whole lot.
i assume your talking about my bro-in-laws gt500, he's the one with the 3.4 blower, not this punk with the cobra. although my bro-in-laws a trash talker too, he can usually back up whatever he says. his shelby has exhaust, suspension...ehh pretty much whatever he sees in MM&FF mags. that car scares the **** outta me everytime i get in it. last time i rode in it he hit 170, yeah, i dont get in that car with him anymore.
anyway as far as i know the boy with the cobra is on stock blower spraying, how much i don't know, i will get his mod list from my bro-in-law
Old 09-16-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

Set up spike strips in front of your house, then rig them to remotely detonated 155 howitzer rounds. Lets see him burn out in front of your house again ;\. Anyways on a serious note I think you should wait until your build is complete and get it dynoed, and get some meaty tires and suspension work to hook.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:47 AM
Launching!

sounds like an idiot to do that in front of your house. and very disrespectful. i wouldnt race him on that note, even if/when you win the **** talking will just increase. i'd be worried about the moron loosing it and hitting your car or someone else if he's dumb enough to do that.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:54 AM
Staging Lane

If it were me, I'd get the thing tuned, get a sticky tire, and challenge him to run at the dragstrip. Unless he's sandbagging on the ET claim with that car, your set-up with a 100 shot should wax him. FWIW, however, I would've built that stroker with a hotter cam. If you had, I'd say try him on motor.
When I got my car tuned again a few weeks ago, the owner of the shop(whose name I cannot mention because they are not a sponsor), was putting the finishing touches on his Shelby. He swapped on a big blower, as well as numerous other things, and told me he was expecting it to put 800 to the tire. It's a gorgeous car, owned by a cool guy. Good luck with whatever you choose to do with that douche. I agree with Pony. Arrogant ****** like him desperately need an *** whoopin'.....regardless of what they drive.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:49 AM
On The Tree

Your set up with gas should cover him pretty easy.

If he runs 11.30's; I'd guess that he's spraying the stock Eaton.

The Eaton's pick up quite a bit on gas because the gas really cools them down.

Honestly your car should run low 11's just on motor...maybe a high 10.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by the jester 812
damn i was hoping you and a few of the other blue oval guys could give me some insight into what kind of mods a cobra running low 11's might have
I didn't comment because there are too many variables really. good prepped track, streets vs DRs, not too mention the mods for power don't really matter when it comes to ET's. If you do a slow roll on teh street, then I'd want to know his Trap mostly.

Could be anywhere form gears, suspension, upper, lower, spray, full bolt ons, ported eaton, A/M blower, etc.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Launching!

my bro in law texted me, this guy is on stock gears, he does have suspension work done and is on a stock ported blower, pulley swap, didn't know the size though, with a 100 shot.
it would be on the street, i never make it to the track but maybe once a year. my plan is to get the car together, get tuned and practice my *** off launching and shifting. i may go through some tires but it will be worth it when/if i beat this kid. unless like someone else suggested i just dont race him. i can let everyone else do the talking for me.

update: everything is in to get the build done, now to wait for the block to get back from the machine shop
Old 09-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

my bro in law texted me, this guy is on stock gears, he does have suspension work done and is on a stock ported blower, pulley swap, didn't know the size though, with a 100 shot.
Sounds like a 10.50 car to me with traction and driving skills.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by unit213
Sounds like a 10.50 car to me with traction and driving skills.
damn, i dont think i can run that good. my builder said my engine could handle as much as a 250 shot but i have spent too much on this car to blow the engine up trying to win a race. so im staying with a small hit. oh well i will have to have a sheriff park in the trees beside my house and catch him doing his almost weekly burnout. less mod money if he's paying tickets
Old 09-20-2009, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

damn, i dont think i can run that good. my builder said my engine could handle as much as a 250 shot but i have spent too much on this car to blow the engine up trying to win a race. so im staying with a small hit. oh well i will have to have a sheriff park in the trees beside my house and catch him doing his almost weekly burnout. less mod money if he's paying tickets
That's a pretty douchebag maneuver on his part to burnout in front of your house. He's basically asking to get the **** beaten out of him.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh well i will have to have a sheriff park in the trees beside my house and catch him doing his almost weekly burnout. less mod money if he's paying tickets
lol, thats not nice! but it is funny...get some pics/vids of inlaws shelby. that thing sounds nasty.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gaunt
That's a pretty douchebag maneuver on his part to burnout in front of your house. He's basically asking to get the **** beaten out of him.
funny thing is, he kinda sorta related to me, i found this out talking to my bro-in-law. something like my wife's cousin. im not the type to hand out *** kickings, i was hoping to be able to run a better time, i think with alot of practice, and maybe a bigger shot i could but i dont know if its really that important to me.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

read through this thread, there is lots of good info here. I am thinking the race for you will be won or lost in the first 60ft.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dyno-benc...sion-come.html
Old 09-20-2009, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

funny thing is, he kinda sorta related to me, i found this out talking to my bro-in-law. something like my wife's cousin. im not the type to hand out *** kickings, i was hoping to be able to run a better time, i think with alot of practice, and maybe a bigger shot i could but i dont know if its really that important to me.
Haha, I should have elaborated.

I was 90% talking about racing him, 10% the other way

Quick Reply: can i take down this cobra