Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

DYNO's

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default DYNO's

here i go again with another neewb question....i've looked in the search box and nothing...so here goes i'm getting on a dyno Friday and don't really know what i'm going to pulling....right know i have everthing stock except for a K&N air filter....any ideas what i'll pull?...I'm doing this so i can get a baseline then I'll slap on my ARH's and lid...but my main question is what's the diffrence between a mustang dyno and dynojet? this place i'm going to has a dynojet however the threads i come across always have something to do with mustang dyno's....what's the diffrence?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mustang dyno's always tend to read a little lower than the dyno jet.

is your car a4 or m6? a4 im thinking 280-300

m6 = 300-320
Old 09-29-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm a A4....they read lower...thats odd....
any pluses abouth the mustang dyno?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oxblood!z28
I'm a A4....they read lower...thats odd....
any pluses abouth the mustang dyno?

yep they read slightly lower, not really, some people prefer the mustang over the jet, but it doesnt really matter to me, i guess if you have a high HP car on a mustang dyno, then its a BAMF!

a4, i think around 280-300. untuned. if i were you, i would change the plugs and clean the maf before then.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like a good idea any suggestion....i heard of those NGK somethings....i can't spit it of the top of my head....but i hear there pretty good....my MAF is descreened i don't think i need to clean it ? but I'll clean the filter....
Old 09-29-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ngk-tr55 copper plugs is what i run, and i have mine gapped to .055 they're cheap and work good. i did a search awhile back and its what majority of the people run.

im not a big fan of the descreening maf, i think it doesnt do anything. have you done the air box mod?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

thoses are the plugs i couldn't remember....yeah i've notice that the folks on here run those. i did notice that some one who had the car last did the air box mod...i might need to get those plugs just get a little something out of pull.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

plugs help the car out a lot. i know that when my tr55s are getting old, i can really tell, the car just doesnt pull as well. you should look into changing them before the dyno. I would do a really good tune up on the car before the dyno as well.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I could't believe what i pull on that dynojet...i pulled 256 rwhp thats got to be wrong right? K&N air filter are the only mods other than suspension and he was using 2nd gear on the pull he told me that third gear wouldn't have done anything. I had just got the oil changed that day. those numbers have to be false. anybody have thoughts on this?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

I could't believe what i pull on that dynojet...i pulled 256 rwhp thats got to be wrong right? K&N air filter are the only mods other than suspension and he was using 2nd gear on the pull he told me that third gear wouldn't have done anything. I had just got the oil changed that day. those numbers have to be false. anybody have thoughts on this?
That would mean the whole dyno is incorrect, which could potentially be a problem, but isn't too likely if it's a reputable shop who did the dyno test.

Sounds like you have some other issues... can you post your dyno graph?

Have you taken your car to the track to get a time slip?
Old 10-05-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

to me its your desrcreened maf, probably fucked up. its what happens when u descreen and dont take care of it correctly, your car probably needs a spark plug change as well. its more important that you think it is.

and the dyno shouldve been in third.... i think, someone will correct me if im wrong.

like i stated above, you shouldve done a good tune up on it.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

if he just dynoed it and didn't tune it thats very possible
Old 10-05-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gaunt
That would mean the whole dyno is incorrect, which could potentially be a problem, but isn't too likely if it's a reputable shop who did the dyno test.

Sounds like you have some other issues... can you post your dyno graph?

Have you taken your car to the track to get a time slip?
i can probably get it scaned today if the scanner works from work....but to be honsest it's embarassing to put up what i pulled...but in any case i'll check to see if the that scanner works. the dyno guy did say i was gettning to much air in on the intial hit but it was on point from 3700 on...as far as the shop goes there a porsche shop and there the only dyno/performance shop in town...I still think those numbers are off...
Old 10-05-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bongva
to me its your desrcreened maf, probably fucked up. its what happens when u descreen and dont take care of it correctly, your car probably needs a spark plug change as well. its more important that you think it is.

and the dyno shouldve been in third.... i think, someone will correct me if im wrong.

like i stated above, you shouldve done a good tune up on it.
I think you may be right as far as the spark plugs goes but with the descreened MAF i really am not sure if it causes a problem....i haven't seen anyone here have any problem with it....but i could be wrong....
I have a hunch that it should of been in Third but who knows I'm stilll knew to this. When you say Tune Up what do you mean like getting the spark plugs changed, including wires and fluids...
Old 10-05-2009, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

i can probably get it scaned today if the scanner works from work....but to be honsest it's embarassing to put up what i pulled...but in any case i'll check to see if the that scanner works. the dyno guy did say i was gettning to much air in on the intial hit but it was on point from 3700 on...as far as the shop goes there a porsche shop and there the only dyno/performance shop in town...I still think those numbers are off...
Sometimes a dyno graph can be invaluable in diagnosing a problem (seeing where power drops off at, shape of the power curve, etc) so Im not asking to embarass you, honestly

changing filters, fluids, plugs, and wires is one of the better ideas if those have been neglected for a while. Somebody mentioned a descreened MAF, so that might be worth it to look into as well (in case something got sucked in their from an air filter not properly seated or something)
Old 10-06-2009, 03:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

ok you guys here it is the dyno pull on paper...feel free to give some advise but i still think this is off the dyno dude did say that there was to much air coming in on the intial hit and needs to be adjusted or tuned..
Attached Thumbnails DYNO's-dyno.jpg  
Old 10-06-2009, 06:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

How many miles on your car?

And some people descreen their maf and have some idle and drivability issues, others do not register any problems.

I've seen them dyno'd in 3rd gear, that's what I dyno'd my car on as it is more on a 1:1 ratio.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WarShrike
How many miles on your car?

And some people descreen their maf and have some idle and drivability issues, others do not register any problems.

I've seen them dyno'd in 3rd gear, that's what I dyno'd my car on as it is more on a 1:1 ratio.
right now theres about 73000.....i think he should of been in third. but than again i'm no expert....next step ngk tr55 plugs.