Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Z28 Vs 370z

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
A built NA V8 is going to make a lot of HP but not a lot of torque down low, with boost you can retain the low end while still drasticly increasing the HP.

LOL whut??? V8s are known for having to rev the **** out of to make torque.....

Old 11-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
LOL whut??? V8s are known for having to rev the **** out of to make torque.....

No. Reading comprehension > then you.

A built NA engine...any NA engine, will have to rely on revs, headflow and compression to make power. If you build an LS1 to make 600-700HP all motor your doing it with a cam that makes power up high in the RPMs not down low. With boost you don't have to rely on revs near as much as the torque is being multiplied for you...
Old 11-19-2009, 05:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

A built NA engine...any NA engine, will have to rely on revs, headflow and compression to make power. If you build an LS1 to make 600-700HP all motor your doing it with a cam that makes power up high in the RPMs not down low. With boost you don't have to rely on revs near as much as the torque is being multiplied for you...
No I understand and you are wrong. Here is a link to a 500 + rwhp N/A LS1 and hes making 300 ft lbs @ 2500 rpms.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...-500-rwhp.html
Old 11-19-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

I can't think of an application where a boosted 6 cylinder would be better than a boosted or NA V8. Perhaps you could enlighten me. AN NA V8 can make just as much or more power than a boosted 6 and still weigh less. It will also likely make more torque throughout the curve. Then there's the fact that the NA V8 will have less things that can break, less heat in the engine bay, and smoother power and torgue curves...

You also never aswered my question about whether you would pick a 2jz or rb26 over an LS3...
I also don't understand why you would choose to bother to build a turbo VH45de.
The few tuners who have built them have spent huge sums of money on R&D with mediocre results (the inlet manifold issue comes to mind). The engine was just never popular enough and there is no aftermarket. Also, speaking as someone whose dealt with VH45s, I know they are larger than LS motors and heavier as well. The aluminum block is stong sure, but I've read stories where people have cracked them trying to push them too hard. You'd be better off building a SBF, SBC, or LSX motor to your desired power. It would cost significantly less and likely weigh less when all is said and done.

I mean, I really like Nissan cars and I hope to own another Z or an S13 again with a V8. I wouldn't go out of my way to put a Nissan V8 in it though just because it was made by Nissan and it sounds like that's what you're saying you would do.

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 11-19-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:09 PM
***Repost Police***

I agree, and I can't tell you how much of a wet dream it would be for me to swap an LS3/T56 in my car. BUT at the same time, there's nothing wrong with testing out new stuff and combinations, even if it's just cuz.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
I can't think of an application where a boosted 6 cylinder would be better than a boosted or NA V8. Perhaps you could enlighten me. AN NA V8 can make just as much or more power than a boosted 6 and still weigh less.
How radical would you want to go comparing? There is a Supra and a 911 doing some amazing mph in the Texas Mile....
Old 11-19-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
How radical would you want to go comparing? There is a Supra and a 911 doing some amazing mph in the Texas Mile....
Yeah, I forgot how topend crazy the flat and inline 6's have been lately.
I was thinking more about roadcourse, 1/4 mile, endurance applications etc.

I'd like to see some of the bigger garage names (LMR, Livernouis, etc.) in racing take FI V8's to the Texas Mile though. I don't think any shop has taken a large single or twin turbo LSX to the mile yet. The 6's have a strong grasp in the mile now though.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, there's an RX7 that did 19xmph with an NA LS7. Imagine what that would do with some FI.

There is no denying however, the crazy potential of the 2jz. Those Supras do some crazy mph at the mile.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cares about what? Apparently you and several others care enough to respond to my post.
You just don't get it. We're responding because you're on our site talking up your nippon ****. Nobody cares what you have to say, it would be best if you just left.

When have I been wrong bud? lol.
Every single post.

Actually their both OHV 90 degree v8s that share many design elements. They may not share any parts but then neither do the VQ30DE and VQ37VHR.
If you knew your *** from a hole in the ground, then you'd know that the GM Small Block and the LS don't "share many design elements". Everything is different. Head design, block design, internals, dimensions, angles, everything. That would be like saying all DOHC engines are the same because they "share design elements", thats the dumbest **** I've ever heard.

As for the VQ, they are all based on the same exact design. Nissan has done nothing but update it over its lifespan. Its like a GM 350 compared to a LT1, same engine with newer components and design elements.

Only rev up VQs from 05-06 had any known oil burning issues. Every other VQ thats been in production for nearly 20 years now has not had any known oil burning issues. Your generalizing things here. Its like saying an LS is an LS, if it was a completely different engine it would have a different name. And we all know that isnt the case. And as I already said, theres probably more new added technology and physical changes between a VQ30 and a VQ37VHR then their are between an L98 and a LS1.
You are a joke. You obviously don't know jack **** about the L98 or LSX, and you obviously have your head up your *** about the Nissan VQ as well. Keep telling yourself its "all new", Nissan will still keep churning out the same oil burning, unrefined pile of crap known as the VQ and idiots like you will keep buying into them.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 11-19-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats simply not true. Displacement makes torque.

I suppose you think turbocharged VQ would be better?? Talk about turbo lag, low end torque is nonexistant in those engines, even N/A. Add in a huge exhaust restriction and short manifold, plus low compression, and you have yourself a real pile of ****.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Have you ever driven a car with direct injection and a turbo? ie; Mazdaspeed 3 or Cobalt SS? Torquey little ******* for being a 4 cylinder and almost no turbo lag to speak of.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:20 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Sixteen pages? Moving this to Bench for sure now.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Have you ever driven a car with direct injection and a turbo? ie; Mazdaspeed 3 or Cobalt SS? Torquey little ******* for being a 4 cylinder and almost no turbo lag to speak of.
You are right about the Cobalt SS turbo. It makes 260ft/lbs (peak torque) at only 2,000RPM. VW GTI is the same way, makes peak 207ft/lbs at only 1800RPM.

MazdaSpeed 3 is not the same case. It doesn't make peak torque until 3,000. You won't find a jap car with low end torque, its like an oxymoron. For some reason they like turbo lag and gutless low end power.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

You are right about the Cobalt SS turbo. It makes 260ft/lbs (peak torque) at only 2,000RPM. VW GTI is the same way, makes peak 207ft/lbs at only 1800RPM.

MazdaSpeed 3 is not the same case. It doesn't make peak torque until 3,000. You won't find a jap car with low end torque, its like an oxymoron. For some reason they like turbo lag and gutless low end power.
I've always wished the GTI/GLI came with a bit more power with the older 1.8T and new 2.0T.....love the interiors and the way they drive.

As far as the MS3 goes, the turbo spools very quickly and reaches peak boost at some ridiculously low 2500RPM or some **** like that and pulls very hard from anywhere in the powerband, more than enough to blow the tires off in 1st/2nd gear from almost any speed with T/C off. Peak torque isn't everything.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
No I understand and you are wrong. Here is a link to a 500 + rwhp N/A LS1 and hes making 300 ft lbs @ 2500 rpms.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...-500-rwhp.html
And heres a dyno of a basically stock Nissan VR38...just tune...stock intake/exhaust/etc.

Notice how it makes more power at lower RPMs then the LS1? This is because boost multiplies torque so easily. If you were to keep making more and more power with that LS1 the peak torque would be pushed further and further in the RPM range and the low end would produce less and less torque. Just the nature of a high output NA engine.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

And heres a dyno of a basically stock Nissan VR38...just tune...stock intake/exhaust/etc.

Notice how it makes more power at lower RPMs then the LS1? This is because boost multiplies torque so easily. If you were to keep making more and more power with that LS1 the peak torque would be pushed further and further in the RPM range and the low end would produce less and less torque. Just the nature of a high output NA engine.
Obviously thats not a street tune. Its running 100 octane.

A properly built, big cube LSX will blow any Nissan out of the water when it comes to torque output.

Start talking F/I for F/I, and it just gets worse. The bone stock LS9 makes 350ft/lbs of torque at idle. Go Home.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

I can't think of an application where a boosted 6 cylinder would be better than a boosted or NA V8. Perhaps you could enlighten me. AN NA V8 can make just as much or more power than a boosted 6 and still weigh less. It will also likely make more torque throughout the curve. Then there's the fact that the NA V8 will have less things that can break, less heat in the engine bay, and smoother power and torgue curves...

You also never aswered my question about whether you would pick a 2jz or rb26 over an LS3...
The few tuners who have built them have spent huge sums of money on R&D with mediocre results (the inlet manifold issue comes to mind). The engine was just never popular enough and there is no aftermarket. Also, speaking as someone whose dealt with VH45s, I know they are larger than LS motors and heavier as well. The aluminum block is stong sure, but I've read stories where people have cracked them trying to push them too hard. You'd be better off building a SBF, SBC, or LSX motor to your desired power. It would cost significantly less and likely weigh less when all is said and done.

I mean, I really like Nissan cars and I hope to own another Z or an S13 again with a V8. I wouldn't go out of my way to put a Nissan V8 in it though just because it was made by Nissan and it sounds like that's what you're saying you would do.
This guy brings up a good point...
Oh man... This is a Bench racing thread now.
That means I have to leave it to die in its on excrement.

That's cool, I forgot how sickening it was to read wesman's import bashing and a biased ranter's posts.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Launching!

I can't think of an application where a boosted 6 cylinder would be better than a boosted or NA V8.
A boosted V8 would be better then a boosted V6, but a NA V8 typically is not...especially if making power is your concern.
Perhaps you could enlighten me. AN NA V8 can make just as much or more power than a boosted 6 and still weigh less.
No. You simply cant make as much power on an NA V8 as you can a boosted 6 cylinder....is also much easier to develop power out of a boosted 6 cylinder then it is a NA V8. This is pretty common sense.
It will also likely make more torque throughout the curve.
No not always. Especially not when the engines begin to be modified. NA engines become very peaky when highly modified...think F1 engine as an extreme to this. Tons of HP out of a V8 but no low end torque.
Then there's the fact that the NA V8 will have less things that can break, less heat in the engine bay, and smoother power and torgue curves...
Now for the most part this is true...but it dosnt mean its always the case.
Depends what car i'm building. All can make my power goals with ease.

True. But the VH45 is extremely robust, and I have never once heard of one cracking myself. There was a pro-outlaw drag team building one a few years ago to make in the range of 2500+HP. And in Australia one was built to make over 1000HP on a bone stock bottom end. I like the fact that they are not commonly modified yet are hugely capable motors when built....race variants of this engine were also used by Nissan in the IRL and various IMSA series making over 700HP naturally aspirated. Just a very cool engine that has always cought my eye
Thats fine if you want to swap in an American V8, I can see why you can justify that. To me i'd rather save my money and time and modify the factory engine thats proved plenty capable
Old 11-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Once you have your engine the static displacement is set, the next easiest way to increase torque is by changing the dynamic displacement AKA boost. With forced induction you can displace much more air then the static displacement would normally allow, this is why turbo cars make torque so easily.
I suppose you think turbocharged VQ would be better?? Talk about turbo lag, low end torque is nonexistant in those engines, even N/A. Add in a huge exhaust restriction and short manifold, plus low compression, and you have yourself a real pile of ****.
I think a properly tuned a built turbocharged V6 can offer as or better power band than a NA V8 can. Look at the dyno of the basically stock VR38 I posted...very nice torque curve and power band over all. And not to mention you always have the ability to multiply power easier with a boosted engine then you do with an NA one.

Quick Reply: Z28 Vs 370z