Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Z28 Vs 370z

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Newflash...nobody cares.
Cares about what? Apparently you and several others care enough to respond to my post.

No, you are completely wrong as always.
When have I been wrong bud? lol.

The LS3 and the L98 do not share any parts or design elements.
Actually their both OHV 90 degree v8s that share many design elements. They may not share any parts but then neither do the VQ30DE and VQ37VHR.
Nothing is the same. Nissan has been building what amounts to essentially the same course, unrefined, oil burning V6 for the past 20 years. Just because you don't want to believe its the same doesn't mean it isn't. A VQ is a VQ, if it was a completely different engine it would have a different name designation.
Only rev up VQs from 05-06 had any known oil burning issues. Every other VQ thats been in production for nearly 20 years now has not had any known oil burning issues. Your generalizing things here. Its like saying an LS is an LS, if it was a completely different engine it would have a different name. And we all know that isnt the case. And as I already said, theres probably more new added technology and physical changes between a VQ30 and a VQ37VHR then their are between an L98 and a LS1.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually their both OHV 90 degree v8s that share many design elements. They may not share any parts but then neither do the VQ30DE and VQ37VHR.
That might be the most broad statement posted on this board in awhile..
Old 11-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
I'd rather take an NA V8 that could easily go FI than a boosted 6 cyl that will be gutless down low and weak on the pump.
If I had plenty of money left over and my goal was maximum power then sure building a good V8 would make my power goals easier. But not all engines are created equal, some engines arnt meant to take large amounts of boost. This is why the 5.0 in the foxbodys cant make tons of power, the block simply isnt strong enough. For 99% of us a boosted 6cyl makes much more since as their generally going to be overbuilt from the factory and make power much easier and cheaper then an NA V8 would be able too. Think Grand National LD5. And remember, boost is the easiest way to increase torque. A built NA V8 is going to make a lot of HP but not a lot of torque down low, with boost you can retain the low end while still drasticly increasing the HP.

The funny thing is that Nissan agrees with me. They dumped the VR38dett out of their GTR race car for an NA race varient of the VK45.
Nissan dosnt agree with you, if they did they'd have the VK in the production GTR. The reason they use a highly modified VK56 is for FIA GT1 regulations. They are required to make an exact amount of power, displacement and weight to compete in GT1:
"The GT1 category will be reserved for models with engines above 5.5L. The manufacturers or tuners will be able to choose between homologation at 650bhp/1300kg or 600bhp/1250kg."

Not only that but you realize that an NA 5.6L built to 600-650HP would have a powerband that started much later in the RPMs and peaked a lot higher then a boosted 3.8L don't you? A bolt on/tuned VR38 will make that much power and still retain a much more livable powerband and gas mileage...

You'd be a fool to choose FI out of the factory over displacement potential.
No I wouldnt. Thats a huge generalization. Would you take a L98 over a 2JZ, RB26, VR38? Its an inferior motor with less power and less potential. But you can bet i'd take an LS3 over a SR20DET...

Last edited by RedBeauty84ZX; 11-19-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 92builtbird
That might be the most broad statement posted on this board in awhile..
It was an intentional broad statement to show the idiocy in his reply that the L98 and LS3 share no design elements.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

I was talking about the 4.5l GT500 GTR. That same motor was used in the gt500 350z. They chose the 4.5 over the VR38, the gt500 class allows the VR but they wanted the 4.5 because it was lighter and better suited for endurance racing. Those were their words by the way bud.

I like how you compared the JZ, RB, and VR to one of the weakest GM small blocks ever built.
Would you pick a 2jz or RB26 over an LS3 or LSA? There are already stock internal boosted LS3's and LSAs making more power than any 2jz has made on pump gas.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
I was talking about the 4.5l GT500 GTR. That same motor was used in the gt500 350z. They chose the 4.5 over the VR38, the gt500 class allows the VR but they wanted the 4.5 because it was lighter and better suited for endurance racing. Those were their words by the way bud.
They chose to swap the VK in because the SuperGT series is heavily based on weight and penalties. A F/I engine would mean Nissan would be required to take penalties in addition to the added weight of the VR38DETT over a VK45. They are all limited to 500HP in that class so making large amounts of power were not a concern, the VK45 works well for this. Nissan never said it was better for endurance racing, that may have been said by spectators in the media, but not Nissan. Nissan chose to keep the VR38 in their GTR that ran the 24 Hours of Tokachi:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8MPCKJQzPA...session-06.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8MPCKJQzPA...0721-09-03.jpg

^ And the car finished the race and did fairly well for being the first sanctioned endurance race the GTR/VR38 competed in.

I like how you compared the JZ, RB, and VR to one of the weakest GM small blocks ever built.
Would you pick a 2jz or RB26 over an LS3 or LSA? There are already stock internal boosted LS3's and LSAs making more power than any 2jz has made on pump gas.
My point is that just because it has more displacement does not mean its better. In many cases a smaller F/I engine is ultimately a better choice for making power then a larger NA engine. The amount you make on pump gas depends greatly on the turbo setup and engine efficiency...right now I believe the record for a pump gas 2JZ is around 900-1000RWHP. Its solely going to be based off your turbo setup...the bigger the turbo the more power on lower octane you can make. If I had a dream build it would be to build a Nissan VH45DE and throw two billet T67s on it....should put that engine somewhere in the 1500WHP range....the block is as beefy as they come.

Last edited by RedBeauty84ZX; 11-19-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Redbeauty... I find it funny that you wanted all this advice from me on swapping a V8 into your Z31 a couple of years ago. I wish I would not have deleted the PM's so I would have proof.

Comparing the L98 to the other motors is not fair. Neither is comparing an LS3 to an SR20. Doing so really made me think you are a JDM fan boy. You are making desperate comparisons to persuade others to agree with you. Would you take the LS3 over a 2jz, or RB26? The 2jz I could understand liking, but who in the right mind would want an RB motor in their car when they live in the states?

I want to add that I am not some Nascar, GM loving ***. If you remember me, I used to have a 86 Z31 with nitrous, intercooler, turbo yadda yadda yadda. In fact, when ever I get bored with the Camaro, I would love to have an S30 and do an l28et swap with MS2. Not trying to tell my life story, I just want to show I am not biased.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh and 350z's are trash. Alot of Nissan guys think so as well.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:11 PM
***Repost Police***

I think I get what RedBeauty was trying to say... just because it's a 350 V8 doesn't make it good, and just because it's a smaller turbo motor doesn't make it bad. It goes both ways.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Boost leak issues, gas sensitivity, boost lag, spark plug temps....going TT can be a PITA.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I think I get what RedBeauty was trying to say... just because it's a 350 V8 doesn't make it good, and just because it's a smaller turbo motor doesn't make it bad. It goes both ways.
Then he should have said that. I think an unbiased person could agree with that. The whole comparison he did, did not do a lot for him.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Redbeauty... I find it funny that you wanted all this advice from me on swapping a V8 into your Z31 a couple of years ago. I wish I would not have deleted the PM's so I would have proof.
Me two because I dont recall ever asking anyone advice about swapping a V8 into a Z31 chassis. And i've kept all my PMs on this site and just went through them, nope not one from you or too you. You got me mixed up with someone else bud
Comparing the L98 to the other motors is not fair.
Neither is comparing an LS3 to an SR20.
Its quite fair.

Doing so really made me think you are a JDM fan boy.

You are making desperate comparisons to persuade others to agree with you. Would you take the LS3 over a 2jz, or RB26? The 2jz I could understand liking, but who in the right mind would want an RB motor in their car when they live in the states?
Depending on what car I was building and what I wanted out of the car would determine what engine I wanted to go with. All of the engines we are talking about are capable of making more then enough power.

I want to add that I am not some Nascar, GM loving ***. If you remember me, I used to have a 86 Z31 with nitrous, intercooler, turbo yadda yadda yadda. In fact, when ever I get bored with the Camaro, I would love to have an S30 and do an l28et swap with MS2. Not trying to tell my life story, I just want to show I am not biased.
We are all biased to some degree.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Oh and 350z's are trash. Alot of Nissan guys think so as well.
LoL a lot of people think a lot of things.

The 350Z did its job great and the sales #s show that. In the Z community it is generally one of the least favored Z chassis to date with the 240Z/300ZX/370Z being the more favored ones.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Then he should have said that. I think an unbiased person could agree with that. The whole comparison he did, did not do a lot for him.
My whole comparison was to show how the generalization I was replying too was bogus

You'd be a fool to choose FI out of the factory over displacement potential.
^
Old 11-19-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
Me two because I dont recall ever asking anyone advice about swapping a V8 into a Z31 chassis. And i've kept all my PMs on this site and just went through them, nope not one from you or too you. You got me mixed up with someone else bud
If that's true, then I apologize. I am sure that there was a guy with an 84 300zx from Texas asking about this swap. I posted up a video of an 88z with a sbc in it, and I started getting PM's.

Its quite fair.
How so? You compare an L98 to the best import motors. Then you compare a small 4 cylinder, to one of GM's best.

Depending on what car I was building and what I wanted out of the car would determine what engine I wanted to go with. All of the engines we are talking about are capable of making more then enough power.
This is true, but some would get the job done just as well, if not better, for a lot less money. The only reason to use an RB is for the awe factor. Its a potent engine, but why would you go through the hassle of dealing with a motor you can't find here, or get parts for here?

We are all biased to some degree.
Some more so than others. Personally, I don't really care who made a car, if it does the job I want to do well, and I was in the market, I would buy it. There just seems to be a lot of brand loyalty in this thread, and it makes me cringe.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My whole comparison was to show how the generalization I was replying too was bogus
You took what he said out of context.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LoL a lot of people think a lot of things.

The 350Z did its job great and the sales #s show that. In the Z community it is generally one of the least favored Z chassis to date with the 240Z/300ZX/370Z being the more favored ones.
Don't defend the 350z with sales numbers, we are talking about performance. Do you think that it is a good performer?
Old 11-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Launching!

You took what he said out of context.
No I didnt. There was no context before or after that statement that had any kind of bearing on that remark....
Old 11-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Don't defend the 350z with sales numbers, we are talking about performance. Do you think that it is a good performer?
Not really. The 300ZX TT had as good or better performance 14 years before the 350Z hit the market. But the 300ZX TT was also quite a bit more expensive then the 350Z with late model 300ZXs getting close to $50,000 in the 1990s. The 350Z was more of a revival of the 240Z persona....a RWD 2 seat sports coupe from Japan with good performance at an affordable price. And it was. in 2003 their wasnt many if any cars you could buy for $27,000(base 350Z price) that out performed it.

Fingers are crossed Nissan brings back a turbocharged Z with the next iteration....
Old 11-19-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No I didnt. There was no context before or after that statement that had any kind of bearing on that remark....
I don't think he really needed to state that he wasn't talking about an L98 lol.

Fingers are crossed Nissan brings back a turbocharged Z with the next iteration....
That would be pretty cool. Lets just hope they don't try and follow the lines of an S130 if they do go that route . I think its about time someone designed another affordable RWD turbo car. I love me some boost.

Quick Reply: Z28 Vs 370z