Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Z28 Vs 370z

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VerdeZ28
ive got several vids here that you guys might find interesting. keep in mind that my fav cars of all time has been Porsches, but i figure Chevy is the next best thing for what i look for in a car. watch these vids in order. i recommend it

the point of this is that yes the Porsche is basically bolt ons, and i personally would consider changing the turbo a bolton cause you "bolt it on" and its relatively easy. some consider heads a bolt on, but this is much more involving than a turbo swap. so technically the porsche has less stuff done to it in the end, and is still just "bolt on". Very impressive truely, i think i rest my case why these are some of my favorite cars. but we cannot disreguard the last vid, because even though the Z06 had more stuff done to it, it was probably still more cost effective. Protomotive parts are not cheap at all, so dont think of things in terms of bolt ons or not, think of them in terms of effectiveness when compared to investment. preatty much how many dollars per horsepower. thats why fox body 5.0 are still kept in high reguards today, because its very cheap to make them very fast. i think with 6k you could get a 5.0 to go 10s and that would include buying the car 1st LOL. but ultimately both of these are very impressive, but in order for that porsche to be able to take the Z06, hes going to have to open up the motor and things are really going to get expensive, and i dont know about you, but i feel confident that i could swap heads and cam into a Z06, all LSX motors are easy in this, but i wouldent trust myself with the Porsche, so labor will be also a cost to consider.
I love watching those videos. Have you seen the one with the M6 vs Z06 when it was stock? But yea I was looking at the GT35R kits and man 20k is what they are going for. And there's a few people running that kit. **** is insane. Not trying to stir **** up but just another video of how impressive the 996TT is. Yea it loses but that 350Z is putting out in the 700's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJGPFBsRoG4
Old 11-11-2009, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I have nothing to say but *damn*... how could you not run better than mid 12s? And if the NSX is a "POS IMHO," why is one in your dream garage?
Where the hell have you been. Its Crashemall that he even ran a 12 is impressive with his well documented driving skills. Just check his sig, assuming he still has it, he crashed two damn Vipers. He is not a good indicator of what a car will run, well unless he is quoting magazine articles which he does fairly often. He got the NSx because it is tamer, if I remember correctly. The rest of this thread, HOLY ****! That Jay has let it go this long amazes me. BTW Jay I know your busy and I'm sure things are getting crazy in the old household right about now.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z33Option
All people are different. But to me a trans is a major module. So no but I do understand what you're saying about not making the car faster. If someone were to ask you hey what you got done most people would say "bolt ons and gears" or bolt ons and spray whatever they have done to seperate bolt ons from whatever major mod they have done. At least in my own opinion.
Well if you look at it this way my exhaust is bigger in mass than my gears. Also it helps the car out more so I don’t see how you would consider gears not to be a bolt-on. IMO anything that is not part of the long block or a power adder is consider a bolt-on.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JeaneZ28
Well if you look at it this way my exhaust is bigger in mass than my gears. Also it helps the car out more so I don’t see how you would consider gears not to be a bolt-on. IMO anything that is not part of the long block or a power adder is consider a bolt-on.
I understand man, but all cars are different. For instance a Z will have a quicker et with gears vs an exhaust. But oh well.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Launching!

The 1991 nsx would be in my dream garage simply because it was so ahead of it's time and has the classic exotic look and mid egine as well as all aluminum...1991 nsx's were only msrp'd at 50K but actually sold at 100K..They sold so well that the car went from 50K in 1991 to 60K in 1992...

It was Completely ahead of it's time and evey time I get in mine the interior ect. still blows me away. A 1991 interior and 2005 nsx interior are 98% the same minus slightly different leather in the newer models.

Now my personal nsx has been a Knightmare..A finiky POS...And is VERY EXPENSIVE to work on...Just a clutch job set me back 4K...Clutch job on my Viper cost 500$...

To me a dream garage isnt so much about what the car can do today..But the History of the car...A 2002 SS camaro is a 13 second non handling car with a cheesy interior...But the reputation of the SS camaro will never die...Id take a lot of pride in having a 2002 SS camaro in my garage and hope to one day own one...

As well the Viper GTS....I had a 99 RT10 Viper wich is exactly the same car as the GTS minus the removable top and rear....The interior is nonthing special and the car bucks and rides very rough...A SRT10 Viper is a better car in Every way. But the 1996 GTS Viper was for a few years the fastest production car you could buy in the world. that is why it has the reputation that it dose...You still here about stock 1996 GTS trapping 120 mph in the 1/4 mile and running 11.9....Imagine that back in 1996...Again..Not the actual car ..that I would want in my dream garage but the car representing the history of the car...

Hey we can all dream...But this is my dream garage...Maybe 10 years from now when you can get a 1996 GTS for 25K and a 2002 SS camaro for 10K and a 2001 C5Z06 for 15K and a 2003 cobra for 8K Ill be able to have the dream become a reality...
Old 11-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Where the hell have you been. Its Crashemall that he even ran a 12 is impressive with his well documented driving skills. Just check his sig, assuming he still has it, he crashed two damn Vipers. He is not a good indicator of what a car will run, well unless he is quoting magazine articles which he does fairly often. He got the NSx because it is tamer, if I remember correctly. The rest of this thread, HOLY ****! That Jay has let it go this long amazes me. BTW Jay I know your busy and I'm sure things are getting crazy in the old household right about now.
Ill never understand why you have to constantly put me down...Lots of people have wrecked cars...And I have well over 1000 1/4 mile passes at the drag strip...many were in the 12's...Wich back in 2005 wasnt to shabby..But iff it makes you feel better to talk badly about me..then by all means do what makes you feel good..
Old 11-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I dont get what you're saying. I have a built tranny does that no longer make my car a bolt on even though it doesnt make the car faster? I heard of Cam only, H/C, FI, and Spray so does that mean I have a tranny car.
Jeane's a built tranny ehh? Hows that sex change operation going for ya? You know I just had to be the first one to mention it! lol ... oh wait, by this time next year I'll be having a built tranny myself! Things I do for my favorite past time
Originally Posted by Killemall
The 1991 nsx would be in my dream garage simply because it was so ahead of it's time and has the classic exotic look and mid egine as well as all aluminum...

To me a dream garage isnt so much about what the car can do today..But the History of the car...A 2002 SS camaro is a 13 second non handling car with a cheesy interior...But the reputation of the SS camaro will never die...Id take a lot of pride in having a 2002 SS camaro in my garage and hope to one day own one...

You still here about stock 1996 GTS trapping 120 mph in the 1/4 mile and running 11.9....Imagine that back in 1996...Again..Not the actual car ..that I would want in my dream garage but the car representing the history of the car...

Hey we can all dream...But this is my dream garage...Maybe 10 years from now when you can get a 1996 GTS for 25K and a 2002 SS camaro for 10K and a 2001 C5Z06 for 15K and a 2003 cobra for 8K Ill be able to have the dream become a reality...
I hear ya man, you and me think alike. F**k the rest of these yahoos. Now that I'm finally doing what my very wise 1st class petty officer told me in the navy when I asked him whether I should re-enlist (and possibly lose the girl of my dreams) or get out and get a cush well paying job doing the exact same thing:

"It's time to get payed for what you KNOW, not what you DO." Now that I'm in a comfortable spot, getting any vehicle I realistically want is just a matter of time, not resources. I will have a LS1 SS Camaro, and either a Viper or Z06 in the next 5 years or so. Who knows what after that... My kids will inherent a very nice little collection by the time I keel over! Maybe not museum quality stuff, but definitely worthy of a good fighting over who gets what at the funeral! lol I'll be dead, what do I care.

Originally Posted by Killemall
Ill never understand why you have to constantly put me down...Lots of people have wrecked cars...And I have well over 1000 1/4 mile passes at the drag strip...many were in the 12's...Wich back in 2005 wasnt to shabby..But iff it makes you feel better to talk badly about me..then by all means do what makes you feel good..
Dont worry about it, you are just taking your **** to the limit and learning the hard way. LOTS of guys on here have found it out with less expensive toys: If wrecking a Viper to you is the same as wrecking a Honda or IROC to these guys on here, so be it: you got better funds is all. Jealousy is a bitch, especially when you (or 'they') dont realize thats what it is.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Jeane's a built tranny ehh? Hows that sex change operation going for ya? You know I just had to be the first one to mention it! lol ... oh wait, by this time next year I'll be having a built tranny myself! Things I do for my favorite past time
I figured someone was going to say that. I edited so no one get confused. Though if you want a built tranny thats your business but keep it to yourself.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Dont worry about it, you are just taking your **** to the limit and learning the hard way. LOTS of guys on here have found it out with less expensive toys: If wrecking a Viper to you is the same as wrecking a Honda or IROC to these guys on here, so be it: you got better funds is all. Jealousy is a bitch, especially when you (or 'they') dont realize thats what it is.
This cracks me up. I assure I am not jealous. If I really wanted a Viper, which I don't, there would be one in my driveway.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Teching In

why are people still talking about nissan z cars here? everyone knows they are slow in everyway unless you do serious mods and this is ls1tech not z whatever. go talk about your slow *** z cars there
Old 11-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

man you pulled real good on him! good kill!
Old 11-14-2009, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by salaooyao
why are people still talking about nissan z cars here? everyone knows they are slow in everyway unless you do serious mods and this is ls1tech not z whatever. go talk about your slow *** z cars there
Become an hero. It will save the rest of us the pain of reading your ignorant posts.

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So what's the pontiac G8 come with again? Cadillac CTS-V and they cost in the 40k range brand new?
Umm...the LSX?? Which was designed as a performance engine to begin with, hence its debut in the C5 Corvette. No Malibu or Grand Am ever came with an LSX. The 350/370Z engine is nothing more than the same pile of trash lifted out of a mid 90's Nissan Maxima.

LSX > VQ. And thats in every respect. Power, design, reliability, efficiency, fuel economy, upgradability, NVH, and quality.

I saw that. I took very good note of it. But maybe it was there test mule. You do know that magazines get hand me down cars right? When one mag is done testing it goes to another. But there is no excuse for those brakes and what happened during that testing. But, I know for sure it has yet to happen to me when spirit driving on the highway at 160. My brakes stop me consistently good. And at Autox they stop me very well.

Oh and the Z06 has Carbon Ceramic brakes. They are not just brembos. Also the massive size of them. They are larger than the brakes on the Enzo so it better be able to stop damn good.
They never tested the Z06 in that test. And not only that, but the Z06 NEVER CAME with carbon ceramic brakes. They are regular brake pads and regular rotors. So Nissan's 4 piston Caliper Nismo Z was competing against GM's 2 piston caliper PBR setup. And low and behind, the PBR's whooped on both Nissan's in that test, even with smaller rotors and half the pistons. Thats because GM and PBR make better braking systems than anything Nissan has ever made, period.

Its also no coincndence that BOTH Nissan's in the test had extremely serious brake fade, while NONE of the others did. Its Nissan's shitty brakes, not the fault of a defective car. Your definition of stopping "consistantly good" must be different from mine, because the few Nissan's I've driven never had good brakes. Especially not the 350Z, you can feel the pedal start sinking after only the second hard brake application.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
The 350/370Z engine is nothing more than the same pile of trash lifted out of a mid 90's Nissan Maxima.
Completely wrong. Thats no different then me saying the LS3 is nothing more then the same pile of trash L98. In fact theres probably MORE differences between a VQ30DE and a VQ37VHR then their are between an L98 and LS3...
Old 11-18-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

I'll buy a new Z when Nissan mans up and puts a VK under the hood.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
I'll buy a new Z when Nissan mans up and puts a VK under the hood.
Meh....i'll take a boosted 6 cyl over an NA V8 anyday...
Old 11-18-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
I would take a boosted 8 cyl over a boosted 6 cyl. Who cares if you dont like v8's. If dont like them get off this site.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Newflash...nobody cares.

Completely wrong. Thats no different then me saying the LS3 is nothing more then the same pile of trash L98. In fact theres probably MORE differences between a VQ30DE and a VQ37VHR then their are between an L98 and LS3...
No, you are completely wrong as always. The LS3 and the L98 do not share any parts or design elements. Nothing is the same. Nissan has been building what amounts to essentially the same course, unrefined, oil burning V6 for the past 20 years. Just because you don't want to believe its the same doesn't mean it isn't. A VQ is a VQ, if it was a completely different engine it would have a different name designation.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

I'd rather take an NA V8 that could easily go FI than a boosted 6 cyl that will be gutless down low and weak on the pump.

The funny thing is that Nissan agrees with me. They dumped the VR38dett out of their GTR race car for an NA race varient of the VK45.

You'd be a fool to choose FI out of the factory over displacement potential.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Launching!

I would take a boosted 8 cyl over a boosted 6 cyl.
So would I.

Who cares if you dont like v8's. If dont like them get off this site.
Who said I didnt like V8s?! Calm down buddy...get a grip

Quick Reply: Z28 Vs 370z