Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Z28 Vs 370z

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z33Option
The Nismo doesn't out brake the regular 370Z. The SS comes with what the Z does standard. 14" Nissan brakes. Also the Nismo is more of a pure sports car for the buyer who doesn't want to buy a less reliable Vette. (IMHO). I had the opportunity to buy a Z or a Z06. I chose my Z not because of less power, but because I know I can rely on my Z to drive. Plus on the Test Drive the Z06 had some check engine light on at 22k miles.

You all are getting into this whole drag game and forgetting what pure driving is all about. Hang out with the faster Porsche guys to learn what it is.
my father has always had a Porsche, currently he has an 1989 Porsche Turbo making 680rwhp with less than 20lbs of boost and stock bottom end. i can honestly say that Porsches are my favorite cars in the world. I have always been around one and one of my earliest memories was standing on the drivers seat of an 88 turbo and just barely being able to look over to the front. So I am well aware what a sports car is.

Unfortunatly I cannot afford to join my father in the Porsche scene but the other way i could is with the LS1s. And in my opinion Corvettes are a shitload better than any Z, A SHITLOAD!!! wtf are you talking about the VQ being more reliable than a LSx type motor??!?! that makes no sense to me. the LSx motor is a Le Mans winning motor, what has Nissan done in Le Mans? have they ever wone in any catigory in Le Mans? NO! the only japanese car make that has is Mazda and that was with the 787B that used a Porsche 962 chassis and 962 PDK transmission.

Also how is the Camaro SS not a sports car? what is it then a 2 door sedan? its faster than the Nismo so get over it. it beat you at your own game and get used to it cuz thats what GM is going to contunue to do.

you cannot deny the LSx anything its better hands down its better built better design just plain better!! the C6-R won in its category in Le mans running against Porsches and Ferraris. it did this with a less than 6.0L (5.4L i believe) motor with TB restricted to 23mm and still developed 590hp. Porsche has won 16 Lemans, Chevrolet a few in recent years thanks to the C5-R block which is essentially the same as an LSx, Nissan has none. Ever. none. so whose the better sports car again?
Old 11-08-2009, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

The Nismo doesn't out brake the regular 370Z. The SS comes with what the Z does standard. 14" Nissan brakes. Also the Nismo is more of a pure sports car for the buyer who doesn't want to buy a less reliable Vette. (IMHO). I had the opportunity to buy a Z or a Z06. I chose my Z not because of less power, but because I know I can rely on my Z to drive. Plus on the Test Drive the Z06 had some check engine light on at 22k miles.

You all are getting into this whole drag game and forgetting what pure driving is all about. Hang out with the faster Porsche guys to learn what it is.
Less reliable Vette? Wow
Old 11-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by VerdeZ28
my father has always had a Porsche, currently he has an 1989 Porsche Turbo making 680rwhp with less than 20lbs of boost and stock bottom end. i can honestly say that Porsches are my favorite cars in the world. I have always been around one and one of my earliest memories was standing on the drivers seat of an 88 turbo and just barely being able to look over to the front. So I am well aware what a sports car is.

Unfortunatly I cannot afford to join my father in the Porsche scene but the other way i could is with the LS1s. And in my opinion Corvettes are a shitload better than any Z, A SHITLOAD!!! wtf are you talking about the VQ being more reliable than a LSx type motor??!?! that makes no sense to me. the LSx motor is a Le Mans winning motor, what has Nissan done in Le Mans? have they ever wone in any catigory in Le Mans? NO! the only japanese car make that has is Mazda and that was with the 787B that used a Porsche 962 chassis and 962 PDK transmission.

Also how is the Camaro SS not a sports car? what is it then a 2 door sedan? its faster than the Nismo so get over it. it beat you at your own game and get used to it cuz thats what GM is going to contunue to do.

you cannot deny the LSx anything its better hands down its better built better design just plain better!! the C6-R won in its category in Le mans running against Porsches and Ferraris. it did this with a less than 6.0L (5.4L i believe) motor with TB restricted to 23mm and still developed 590hp. Porsche has won 16 Lemans, Chevrolet a few in recent years thanks to the C5-R block which is essentially the same as an LSx, Nissan has none. Ever. none. so whose the better sports car again?
This is stupid to argue. I never said the SS was not a sportscar. It's more of a Grand Touring car if anything. The car weighs too much and you all are getting so ridiculous with this hp argument. Who cares how much hp a car makes. Driving it, feeling it, is what it's all about. How do you drive a 3900 lb car through the backroads taking it through its paces and have a good time? That's what driving a sportscar is like. Not this bs hp vs hp, et vs et, or my car handles alot better than yours. And with all those weight balancers it better handle great.

Wait a second if you want to start bringing up LeMans ****, I cannot backup Nissan in any way shape or form. Since Porsche is also my #1 company they have won more LeMans victories than any other manufacturers. Then there is Audi they are next. Far more than the Vette has ever. Porsche owns the GT2 class and Audi owns the prototype. Since 05 the Vette has just started to win. What about the other 50 years? Back since Porsche was winning with the 917.

How did the LeMans even come up? Look at GT500 how many Nissan victories there have been. Also the 24 hour Nurburgring a few years ago was won by a 350z. So I'd say Nissan has a well spread motorsports team. Unlike Chevrolet who ownly focus on ALMS, LeMans, and Nascar. What about what's in between?
Old 11-08-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Straightline is not what our cars are about. They are built for the track.

Im sorry that does it for me...please get the **** out...thanks!
Old 11-08-2009, 01:48 AM
Banned

Taken from a recent thread on another forum.

Originally Posted by masksqueeze
I've owned two C5's. 98 Coupe, and a 99 FRC. Both of which I loved, I'm a Vette guy at heart, but I'm also an overall sports car enthusiast. I sold both my C5s because I was offered the right dollar and couldn't refuse. After tinkering around and getting into college, I bought the 350z. The Z is a much easier, more realistic daily driver. It handles as good if not better then the c5, but of course lacks the torque where the Vette has it, but overall, the ride, the quality, fit and finish of the Z is better in my opinion. The C5, being a Chevy drove me nuts as far as the overall quality. The damn interior rattles, and odd sounds coming from around the car, that's a Vette for you, the C6 is a step above, but the C5 was just a stress. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE C5's they are sexy, and an icon of their own, and fast, but the Z is just a fun car. It's light and nimble and fun to throw around bends.

C5s are great cars, but the Z is also a great car. Who cares, drive what you like! :thumbup:

Oh, and who gives a **** if your 17. My bro is 16 and has a Vette. The C5 and 350z market is so cheap now, it's easy for a kid with a good job to pick one up. Who cares what people say, go with what you want.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:49 AM
Banned

uhh.. speak up. don't just post then leave.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Launching!

its like others said before, you could pick up a lightly used C6 for less than a new 370z, and i dont think anyone could argue with the C6 being better than a 370z. Also the VQ motor in my opinion is crap. And that Opinion can actually be argued unlike many of your opinions, and i dont think you can win that arguement. It probably wouldent even fly in the my350z forums. The VQ will never have the reputation that the LS1 and all the variants have. I bet there are more LS1 swaps into 240sx than VQ swap, I wonder why. I bet there are more LS1 swaps into anything these days than any other motor, and if there is a motor thats swapped more often than an LS1, its definately a chevy motor of some kind. There is a reason for this. the guy with an RX-7 will either keep the rotary or use an LS1, but NEVER a VQ of any kind

Also how does the Camaro SS weight affect whether or not its a Sports Car? The new Mercedes SL600 weighs in at 4500lbs, i guess its not a sports car.....the 09 Porsche 911 turbo weighs 3500lbs, damn thats more than a F-body, i guess its not a sports car either...Ultimately you cannot argue "feel" or "enjoyment" as these are all opinion based, and you are here, on a LS1 forum trying to convince us "non-sports car" owners that a 350z or 370z is better because it "feels" better. that aint going to fly. you want to argue, ill argue facts, Camaro SS is faster than the 370z in every aspect, so is the C6. end of story. On paper the Camaro SS is a better car, thats it, anything else you cannot argue. oh and BTW the corvette team has dominated GT1 class this year, finishing 1st and 2nd in its class and 15th overall. the only porsche that finished before it was the RS spyder, which is in a different class all thogether. look at the list, the next porsche to finish was in 33rd place overall and 3rd in its class.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Launching!

its sad really cause you think that all chevy is good for is drag racing, but the only reason you see more chevys being drag raced is cause its the cheapest form of racing and easiest to have as a hobby. my uncle with a STI used to go touring with it at local tracks but he barely does it anymore because its much more strenuous on the car than drag racing. he goes to the strip all the time though.

but if one really wanted, it would not be hard to build a Fbody for use at the track, or you could just get a vette.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Launching!

BTW, Brembo brakes are not Nissan brakes. the Camaro SS does not have Nissan brakes. GTFO with that ****. 14" Nissan brakes can suck it. 14" brembo brakes are the real deal.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Banned

BTW, Brembo brakes are not Nissan brakes. the Camaro SS does not have Nissan brakes. GTFO with that ****. 14" Nissan brakes can suck it. 14" brembo brakes are the real deal.
Please show me my opinions the last I checked I'm throwing in a substantial amount of facts. Maybe the fact that I'd choose a 370Z over a SS or C6 and my reasoning. But I respect your comments. But I never once tried to argue that the Camaro SS is slower. I never said the LS1 is less superior than the VQ. Honestly the VQ is not what the VG30DETT (300zx) was. The VQ could be 100 times better. Nissan made a 400 hp VQ for Japan only and used it as a homologation model (500 units) using mostly off the shelf Nismo parts. That's how I know the VQ could be 100 times better.

Mercedes, BMW's, etc are DTM cars not sports cars. A Porsche 911 is a sports car and always will be. The Camaro SS is more suited to be with the Grand Touring bunch.

A sports car by definition is and I quote "an open, low-built, fast motor car. The term describes a class of automobile with two seats, two doors, precise handling, brisk acceleration, and sharp braking — trading practical considerations such as passenger space, comfort, and cargo capacity — for driving enjoyment" Now a grand touring car is a "high-performance luxury automobile designed for long-distance driving. The most common format is a two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement". Tell me I am wrong now. Similar but different. That's why I say it is not a sports car but more suited to be a Grand Tourer.

Now if you want to consider swaps. I'd say the RB series is still holding the record, or even the 2jz just because they have been around for years. The LS has only been out for 10 years. The RB, 20 something years and you think the LS is swapped into any car more? I think not.

I also am referencing the C5 corvette not the C6. I do agree that the C6 is a buyer's choice over the 370Z. Me I choose the 370Z since I have owned a 350. I love LS powered cars. Hence why I am here, to learn more about the LS powered cars and what they can do.

But for you to say that the Nissan's brakes are crap you're absoloutely wrong. Check this out. Motortrend's 370Z test showing that the 370Z braked from 60-0 in 106 ft vs the Nismo's brembo equipped 103 ft. Is that really much of a difference? Now on a random google search for the 2010 Camaro I found their 60-0 in 109-111 ft on average. I know this is all what's on paper and whatever but the facts show. Nissan stopped using the brembos because they were not as good as they should be for the price they were paying.

Look we can go on and on about this all day long but look in summary.
C6 is faster than the 370Z, costs less, and is a great option.
Camaro SS is faster than the Z and is more expensive than a nicely equipped Z.
370Z is a great car but you have to consider your options before you put the cash down. I did when I bought my 350Z and couldn't be happier, so I'm sure when you all mature out of your F bodies you will all go and buy the SS or C6 vette.

Last edited by Z33Option; 11-08-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The arguement has now gone to fit and finish and LS1s being unreliable??
Old 11-08-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

its like others said before, you could pick up a lightly used C6 for less than a new 370z, and i dont think anyone could argue with the C6 being better than a 370z. Also the VQ motor in my opinion is crap. And that Opinion can actually be argued unlike many of your opinions, and i dont think you can win that arguement. It probably wouldent even fly in the my350z forums. The VQ will never have the reputation that the LS1 and all the variants have. I bet there are more LS1 swaps into 240sx than VQ swap, I wonder why. I bet there are more LS1 swaps into anything these days than any other motor, and if there is a motor thats swapped more often than an LS1, its definately a chevy motor of some kind. There is a reason for this. the guy with an RX-7 will either keep the rotary or use an LS1, but NEVER a VQ of any kind

Also how does the Camaro SS weight affect whether or not its a Sports Car? The new Mercedes SL600 weighs in at 4500lbs, i guess its not a sports car.....the 09 Porsche 911 turbo weighs 3500lbs, damn thats more than a F-body, i guess its not a sports car either...Ultimately you cannot argue "feel" or "enjoyment" as these are all opinion based, and you are here, on a LS1 forum trying to convince us "non-sports car" owners that a 350z or 370z is better because it "feels" better. that aint going to fly. you want to argue, ill argue facts, Camaro SS is faster than the 370z in every aspect, so is the C6. end of story. On paper the Camaro SS is a better car, thats it, anything else you cannot argue. oh and BTW the corvette team has dominated GT1 class this year, finishing 1st and 2nd in its class and 15th overall. the only porsche that finished before it was the RS spyder, which is in a different class all thogether. look at the list, the next porsche to finish was in 33rd place overall and 3rd in its class.
Kid if you try to classify again the Camaro as a sports car baby Jesus will kill himself...its a pony car or a muscle car, take your pick but STOP saying its a sports car...damn it. In fact trying to compare it with one even if it is faster is retarded. These are two different kind of cars, two different leagues.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Actually Muscle cars dont exist anymore and the Camaro has always been classified as a pony, never a Sports car or Muscle car. This one though being kind of big and heavy it might be a GT car.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Banned

its sad really cause you think that all chevy is good for is drag racing, but the only reason you see more chevys being drag raced is cause its the cheapest form of racing and easiest to have as a hobby. my uncle with a STI used to go touring with it at local tracks but he barely does it anymore because its much more strenuous on the car than drag racing. he goes to the strip all the time though.

but if one really wanted, it would not be hard to build a Fbody for use at the track, or you could just get a vette.
That's all typical with the STi's and EVO's. Their drivetrains can only handle so much before they pop. And if one really wanted to build a track car the 240sx is a great option. It's all apples and oranges man. Let's just agree to disagree.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Actually Muscle cars dont exist anymore and the Camaro has always been classified as a pony, never a Sports car or Muscle car. This one though being kind of big and heavy it might be a GT car.
What?? Every muscle car book, every piece of info about it mentions the Camaro...and the Challenger...whatever. I think the amount of misinformation in this thread is now at epic proportions.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Nice run..
Old 11-08-2009, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chaman
What?? Every muscle car book, every piece of info about it mentions the Camaro...and the Challenger...whatever. I think the amount of misinformation in this thread is now at epic proportions.
The Camaro has always been a Pony car. Read up on it if you like. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pony_car
Old 11-08-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Wikipedia...are you ******* serious? Thanks I prefer gathering info from completely trustful resources. Go get books my friends...books written by authorities in the field. Keep you misinfo to yourself.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Killemall
....But the LS1's are dayum impressive no matter what you drive *****except for the fat *** ugly GTO's...They are slow pieces of ****************
Yep, keep drinking the lemonade.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Yep, keep drinking the lemonade.
Yea I don't know what he's talking about. The LS2 GTO's pull very well from what I've seen. Sadly I don't know how they stack up against the f bodies though.

Quick Reply: Z28 Vs 370z