Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Z28 Vs 370z

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salaooyao
there are NO g37's that will break into the 12's with drag radials on a stock engine. and the 350z is slower straight line and in curves than a stock c5 so why even compare it to a z06?
All this talk about performance, I chose to compare the Z because the Z is what I had my eyes on from the getgo.But anyway back to the G37. This thread is talked about it. Yes I do believe it because he has posted the timeslip on multiple forums.

http://myg37.com/forums/motorsports-...kest-list.html
Old 11-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z33Option
VerdeZ28, to me you sound like a fanboy of the Corvette (GM) and it's showing a tad too much. You're saying overall how much better of a car the Camaro SS is than anything out there. Let's stick to the facts here. The Camaro SS is a great option for $30k. Now just because it can put down 400+ hp and do the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds does not make it that perfect car anyone can own. Honestly to me, in fact there was one G37 driven with drag radials only that went 12.9, that car is in the pricerange of the SS and offers has much more luxury to it. Not everything revolves around power and numbers.

And when comparing a car that is already out and introduced. Forget paper, let's stick to the real facts. Add in that reality factor that you are missing. Check this out, in NJ near my house there is a chevy dealer and also quite a few Nissan dealers. Since you want to compare prices and all this let's have a look.

Here is a 370Z touring 09 model for $35,000. Real world pricing.

http://www.nissanofturnersville.com/...g-4793497.html

From the same owners across the street here is the price for a 2SS Camaro. 35,000 also.

http://www.chevroletofturnersville.c...s-4832109.html

The point is you can talk paper, MSRP, numbers all day long but you cannot beat realworld. Realworld takes into account price markup. That's what you're forgetting. After the buzz of the Camaro boils over then we can really talk.

I dont need to be a fanboy in order to see that C6 vettes and Camaro SS is alot better than a 370z. Id like to thank you for proving my point for me, since a Camaro 2SS is a fully optioned camaro, and its nice to see that a non-fully optioned 370z is as much as a fully optioned camaro 2ss. good job.

Yes, a Camaro 2SS is as good as the camaro gets, while the Nismo 370z is as good as a 370z gets, so its great to know that the 2SS is 35K and a Nismo is about 40k. Awesome. So whos the better buy? thats right the camaro was faster round laguna seca than the Nismo, and that wasent even a 2SS, it was just a SS. so once again thanks for proving my point.

Also, please tell me where you can find a 966TT for 40K??!?!?! seriously, ill go and pick that up right now! thats right you cant. If im a Fanboy, id be a Porsche Fanboy, and i bet your *** i know more about those cars than you do and have been around more of them. i doubt you can find a 993TT for around 40K, **** the original 930 turbo still go for about 40k, and those are 76-89. BTW get your porsche number straight. 996 is the older one, but uses the newer chassis, 2009 was the last year for the 997, and 2010 is 997 1/2, its not considered a 998 yet

I do admit i am biased toward GM cars as well, since my dad also has several Corvette, two of them being a fully restord 65, and a resto mod 66, where we installed a LS1 without modifying the chassis, but unlike you im just arguing facts here, and the SS camaro is a better performing car than the 370z for less money. and you CANNOT argue that. its just plain FACT, the camaro is more powerful, faster in the straight, AND FASTER AROUND THE TRACK. end of story. what do you have to say for yourself other than, "well I still think that the 370z is a better car" who cares. i dont care what you think. the camaro performs better and is cheaper and these are not abstract concepts, that have nothing to do with my personal preference, they are just cold hard fact.

If im a Fanboy of anything, I am a fanboy of performance. I like what works. And if this video should mean anything to any of you is that after more than 10years and 120,000 miles this LS1 still has what it takes to be competitive in todays world. and that works. if you want to compare the 2010 Camaro SS to anything, wait 10 years and see what the nissan Z is doing then, maybe then it would be a good match.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Launching!

why you want to talk about the G37, isent that car even slower than the 370z? i remember a car and driver test where a Challenger SRT8 was faster around Virginia International Raceway than the G37S, and we all know here that the SRT8 is no where near as good as the SS
Old 11-09-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

I never said that the Z06 is less superior than the 350z. I know it's faster, I know it looks damn good, I know all of this. But to me when I test drove a 1 owner 02 Z06, it had interior rattles and the leather was wearing and it only had 40k miles on it. To me that was my breaking point. I tried to cope and just couldn't. Maybe there was 10 other Z06's out there I could've tried. I just wasn't having it. Now yes Z's have there issues too. My interior doesn't rattle, but Nissan did however go to cheap materials which induces scratches and some items eventually wear out. Yes it's true but to me my Z makes me happy. And for that it's a little cheap fix. Power to me is not everything. How often will I use that 400 hp? Not too often. My Z gets up to 160, I've only been there a couple times out of the billion I've driven it.

Now the VQ does consume oil. In fact in 2006 they released a TSB for oil consumption. My same year. My car has not consumed any oil. Luck of the draw I guess.

So weak internals. The weak part of our cars is the rods. Every engine in the VQ is different. For the DE 400 is the limit. For the revup 450. Hr 500+ and the vhr 600+ and they are still in testing. All tests were done individually and mostly were completed by GTM. I think that for a street car 400 whp is plenty. Touching low to mid 11's and 120 traps. That's pretty damn nice for a street car. In reality that's just a 150 shot and bolt ons on a Z.

Please stop interpreting as me saying that the C5 Z06 is less superior than the 350Z. My opinion based on my firsthand experience is that my 350Z is to me is a better car for myself. I love the history of the Z and I am not just some Z loving fanboy. If I was a fan boy then why would I be here trying to learn more about the LS engines? I wouldn't be I'd be in a nuttshell with posters of Paul Walker, riced out 350z's, etc.

Now here is my unbiased research for you. I own an 06 350Z. My dad many years ago had a 260Z and loved that car. I also loved it too and said that one day I would own that and another Z. So when I was car searching yes I was slightly biased but still kept my mind open to other ideas. I like cars with history in motorsports along with the manufacturers. I like to know what my car has done in history to let me know what it's all about. Hence why I love Porsche. I know the Corvette's history but in my own personal experience Nissan has been in the family for years so I'd like to keep tradition. I like tradition. Fanboys go from one car to the next. That's why I cannot wait until the FT-86 is released then they jump on that.

And who cares how many more lateral g's it can pull, who cares what 12 second time it can get. It all boils down to what you want and what you can afford. Me personally am more than happy with my choice of 350Z. And will continue to be with the 370Z I buy next or G37. Whichever.

So true irunelevens. Is it any better? Lastly I was offered a 370Z at a dealership I frequent in NJ for my maintenance and they offered me a 370Z (no trade in) for 29k with some options. They are out there you have to either know people or dig.
I understand all of that. It sounded in your other post like you were saying that the LS6 was less reliable than a VQ35DE or that the 350z was a better performer than the C5Z. It also sounds from this post that you just drove one bad C5Z, but that doesn't seem like a good enough reason to completely give up on them IMO. C&D tested a C5Z earlier this year in a best bang for $25k challenge and found that the car had no rattles or loose interior parts for example.

I can also understand buying a 350z because of the Z heritage. The orginal Z had a beautiful design and was the epitome of a true sports car. Hell, my dream car is an IMSA S30 car, either a 240z or a 260z with an LSX powerplant. I thought the 350z was a bit of a let down though when it first debuted(JMO)...
Old 11-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Launching!

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/CompareCars/R...ionHistory=%24

check that out.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

VerdeZ28, to me you sound like a fanboy of the Corvette (GM) and it's showing a tad too much. You're saying overall how much better of a car the Camaro SS is than anything out there. Let's stick to the facts here. The Camaro SS is a great option for $30k. Now just because it can put down 400+ hp and do the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds does not make it that perfect car anyone can own. Honestly to me, in fact there was one G37 driven with drag radials only that went 12.9, that car is in the pricerange of the SS and offers has much more luxury to it. Not everything revolves around power and numbers.

And when comparing a car that is already out and introduced. Forget paper, let's stick to the real facts. Add in that reality factor that you are missing. Check this out, in NJ near my house there is a chevy dealer and also quite a few Nissan dealers. Since you want to compare prices and all this let's have a look.

Here is a 370Z touring 09 model for $35,000. Real world pricing.

http://www.nissanofturnersville.com/...g-4793497.html

From the same owners across the street here is the price for a 2SS Camaro. 35,000 also.

http://www.chevroletofturnersville.c...s-4832109.html

The point is you can talk paper, MSRP, numbers all day long but you cannot beat realworld. Realworld takes into account price markup. That's what you're forgetting. After the buzz of the Camaro boils over then we can really talk.

GM Fanboi here.

The Nissan's motor with 4 cams, 24 valves, plenum design is very high tech.

Where as the Chevy is still a single cam, pushrods, a much simpler design.

Simplicity is bliss, mod friendly, easy to work on, great bang for the buck.

I'll take the SS anyday.

Last edited by bearcatt; 11-20-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VerdeZ28
I dont need to be a fanboy in order to see that C6 vettes and Camaro SS is alot better than a 370z. Id like to thank you for proving my point for me, since a Camaro 2SS is a fully optioned camaro, and its nice to see that a non-fully optioned 370z is as much as a fully optioned camaro 2ss. good job.

Yes, a Camaro 2SS is as good as the camaro gets, while the Nismo 370z is as good as a 370z gets, so its great to know that the 2SS is 35K and a Nismo is about 40k. Awesome. So whos the better buy? thats right the camaro was faster round laguna seca than the Nismo, and that wasent even a 2SS, it was just a SS. so once again thanks for proving my point.

Also, please tell me where you can find a 966TT for 40K??!?!?! seriously, ill go and pick that up right now! thats right you cant. If im a Fanboy, id be a Porsche Fanboy, and i bet your *** i know more about those cars than you do and have been around more of them. i doubt you can find a 993TT for around 40K, **** the original 930 turbo still go for about 40k, and those are 76-89. BTW get your porsche number straight. 996 is the older one, but uses the newer chassis, 2009 was the last year for the 997, and 2010 is 997 1/2, its not considered a 998 yet

I do admit i am biased toward GM cars as well, since my dad also has several Corvette, two of them being a fully restord 65, and a resto mod 66, where we installed a LS1 without modifying the chassis, but unlike you im just arguing facts here, and the SS camaro is a better performing car than the 370z for less money. and you CANNOT argue that. its just plain FACT, the camaro is more powerful, faster in the straight, AND FASTER AROUND THE TRACK. end of story. what do you have to say for yourself other than, "well I still think that the 370z is a better car" who cares. i dont care what you think. the camaro performs better and is cheaper and these are not abstract concepts, that have nothing to do with my personal preference, they are just cold hard fact.

If im a Fanboy of anything, I am a fanboy of performance. I like what works. And if this video should mean anything to any of you is that after more than 10years and 120,000 miles this LS1 still has what it takes to be competitive in todays world. and that works. if you want to compare the 2010 Camaro SS to anything, wait 10 years and see what the nissan Z is doing then, maybe then it would be a good match.
Wow son you've got a lot to learn. Where do we start. A 370Z does not need the added Nismo bodykit, or Nismo brakes, or Nismo exhaust, because quite frankly the Nismo actually outperformed by the Touring 370Z. If you want to build a great Z you do not buy a Nismo. Because the Nismo's lack the lightness of the base/touring model, and come at a heftier price tag. The touring is known to out brake the Nismo. That's why I chose that and not the top of the line Nismo. For the 370Z to be great, add some R comps, oil cooler, bolt ons and your good to go.

Now I'm going to go ahead and ask you how old you are because you bicker like a child. Do you even have any Porsche background? Do you have any realisation of what a Porsche really is. First off check 6speedonline.com because you might want to get your facts straight son. I will post right now at random 3 996TT forsale. Exactly 3 if you want more I can do that for around the price of 40k. No one mentioned the 993 or 930 turbo. As the 930's without the G50 trans actually in great condition sell in the low 20's range. Now here is your 3.

1. 996TT x50 packaged. The X50 package was a performance package in short summary.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...-warranty.html

2. Another low mileaged TT.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...iles-ohio.html

3. Low mileaged again.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...ic-silver.html

Now here are your 3 turbos. Pick one and buy it fanboy. Now you show me some facts and not what Motortrend shows you or wikipedia.org.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bearcatt
GM Fanboi here.

The Nissan's motor with 4 cams, 24 valves, plenum design is very high tech.

Where as the Chevy is still a single cam, pushrods, a much simpler design.

Simplicity is bliss, mod friendly, easy to work on, great bank for the buck.

I'll take the SS anyday.

Very good point. Another thing about that is our cams are so damn expensive for the little gains we get.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
I understand all of that. It sounded in your other post like you were saying that the LS6 was less reliable than a VQ35DE or that the 350z was a better performer than the C5Z. It also sounds from this post that you just drove one bad C5Z, but that doesn't seem like a good enough reason to completely give up on them IMO. C&D tested a C5Z earlier this year in a best bang for $25k challenge and found that the car had no rattles or loose interior parts for example.

I can also understand buying a 350z because of the Z heritage. The orginal Z had a beautiful design and was the epitome of a true sports car. Hell, my dream car is an IMSA S30 car, either a 240z or a 260z with an LSX powerplant. I thought the 350z was a bit of a let down though when it first debuted(JMO)...
Yea, I bought that mag too to read up on how well the C5, M3 and E55 did. All did very well. But I don't know what it is man I'm just happy with my slow Z I guess. . Might want to get some I think I just opened up another 10 pages.

But I agree the 350Z was a let down I think also. (somehow I still got sucked in). But the 370Z is soo much better. I test drove one and you can honestly feel 20 years of difference between the 2 cars. The 370's interior is crisp, the shifts are perfect, the fit and finish is amazing. I think Nissan should've not built the 350 and built the 370.

Last edited by Z33Option; 11-09-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just thought I'd point out how good of a troll z33option is. Props bro, gotta give you some respect to type out 5 pages of garbage and argue with everyone on here.

Troll on nerd.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Banned

Oh and a bit of something special to share with you all really quickly. The US got the **** end of the stick when it came to the Nismo. The only difference was the bodykit, wheels, interior, and a few other minor things. But in Japan the Nismo not only recieved all that but also a completely different engine. Check this out.

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2008...smo-380rs.aspx

Now I'm sure most of you will look at this and say ahh wtf blah blah blah. But if you want a great comparison to the C5 for brand new. This is it. 3.8l NA, 350hp from the factory, base price of 55k, and exhaust and tune would put you into the 400hp range. Matches the power and the handling of this thing is far better than the standard US Nismo Z. Not saying it's better than the Z06 but a damn good competitor. This is what the 350Z Nismo was based on and the US got the shitty part. Just some food for thought.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chavez885
Just thought I'd point out how good of a troll z33option is. Props bro, gotta give you some respect to type out 5 pages of garbage and argue with everyone on here.

Troll on nerd.
hm ok.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Teching In

All this talk about performance, I chose to compare the Z because the Z is what I had my eyes on from the getgo.But anyway back to the G37. This thread is talked about it. Yes I do believe it because he has posted the timeslip on multiple forums.

http://myg37.com/forums/motorsports-...kest-list.html
He may be posting timeslips but it is in no way a stock motor, a g37 is slower than a bmw 335i and lost to it in every category, and this was the car the g37 was designed to compete against. The only thing the g37 had on the bmw was a cheaper price. I drive a bmw and know it won't turn a 12.9 even on drag tires without modifications and my bmw is faster than a g37.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Banned

Most definitely stock motor. Even has pics of his engine bay floating around. I would post up sites but I'm too tired to search. It's 8am here and I have yet to go to sleep. Now all it takes is a perfect DA, perfect track prep, etc. I don't see how it's far fetched. Definitely out of the ordinary yes but impossible. Not at all. Same goes for the 370's. I bet there will be a few to crack 12's bone stock. Just need some factory freaks. Kind of like how some F bod SS's hit 12's out the box. Far in between but impossible no. Right driver, right track and the right day is all it takes.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

hahaha can we make this 10 pages please.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:26 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by VerdeZ28
so you asked earlier for a cheaper car than the 370z, NEW, that performs better, i give you the camaro SS. now which car is "greater" or "best" overall is up to you. but like i said before, on paper the camaro is better.
No I didn't. Let me show you what I did say.
Originally Posted by Irunelevens
First off, tell me a better sports car that you can buy new for $30k?
Just because a car performs better on paper than another, does not mean it is necessarily what the buyer is looking for. A TBSS is faster than a Miata, but if you want a light and nimble car you won't care. Somebody looking for a SPORTS CAR (ie; NOT a Camaro) is going to value feeling just as much as they value numbers. So while a Camaro SS is slightly faster in a straightline and around Laguna Seca than a 370Z, it also behaves like a 3,900lb "sports coupe." So somebody that wants a responsive car would most likely prefer something that weighs ~550lbs less, even if it is slightly slower on paper.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
No I didn't. Let me show you what I did say.

Just because a car performs better on paper than another, does not mean it is necessarily what the buyer is looking for. A TBSS is faster than a Miata, but if you want a light and nimble car you won't care. Somebody looking for a SPORTS CAR (ie; NOT a Camaro) is going to value feeling just as much as they value numbers. So while a Camaro SS is slightly faster in a straightline and around Laguna Seca than a 370Z, it also behaves like a 3,900lb "sports coupe." So somebody that wants a responsive car would most likely prefer something that weighs ~550lbs less, even if it is slightly slower on paper.

you're really splitting hairs there---- they're both performance based 2 door cars. sports car, pony car, muscle car--- who cares? price and performance matter. if one performs better on strip and road course, are you not going to buy it because on paper it's not technically a sports car? sounds quite silly.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
It's clear that you know very little about LS cars. It sounds like you're saying the LS6 and LS1 engines are unreliable, or atleast less reliable than a POS DE motor. Yes, the VQ35DE is a POS. Underpowered to begin with, woefully weak internals, and constant oil problems. Or did you not know that? The VQ35DE burns oil like no other. Nissan has made some wonderful engines (the VH and VK come to mind), but the VQ35DE was not one of them. Only time will tell if the VQ37VHR is any better. From what I've seen on the forums, their internals are atleast a serious step up over the lame VQ35DE.

The fact that you actually chose a Z33 Z over a Z06 just shows how much of a fanboy you are. I don't understand how you could have done unbiased research on both cars and decided on the Z33. The C5Z gets better fuel economy, stops shorter, corners harder (pulls more lateral G's and slaloms quicker), has posted a quicker production lap time than any Z33 on every track where the two were tested, has no major (drivetrain) recalls, and was praised by many editorials even years later for it's dependability and cheap repair costs.
Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself. The VQ is a pile of trash, they are naturally unbalanced engines (tons of vibrations) and burn oil like crazy. And they often need rings before even 100K miles, just like the Nissan 2.5's.

But for you to say that the Nissan's brakes are crap you're absoloutely wrong. Check this out. Motortrend's 370Z test showing that the 370Z braked from 60-0 in 106 ft vs the Nismo's brembo equipped 103 ft. Is that really much of a difference? Now on a random google search for the 2010 Camaro I found their 60-0 in 109-111 ft on average. I know this is all what's on paper and whatever but the facts show. Nissan stopped using the brembos because they were not as good as they should be for the price they were paying.
Maybe you should have read Car and Driver. They did a braking test of high performance cars, and all the Nissans in the test experiences severe brake fade after only a couple stops. This included the 350Z Nismo and an FX SUV. The fade was so bad that the brake pedals were going right to the floor after only a couple stops - Nissan brakes suck. C&D even called Nissan to ask what was going on, of course they had no answer because they are idiots.

And then you say Brembo brakes as good as they should be?? Is that why they are used on damn near every high performance car on the market?? You're saying they've made a world renouned name for themselves by selling subpar products?? The ZR1 stops in 96ft from 60MPH using 6 piston front and 4 piston rear Brembos. Nissan brakes can barely stop the car from 60 without the pedal fading to the floor, get real troll.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Most definitely stock motor. Even has pics of his engine bay floating around. I would post up sites but I'm too tired to search. It's 8am here and I have yet to go to sleep. Now all it takes is a perfect DA, perfect track prep, etc. I don't see how it's far fetched. Definitely out of the ordinary yes but impossible. Not at all. Same goes for the 370's. I bet there will be a few to crack 12's bone stock. Just need some factory freaks. Kind of like how some F bod SS's hit 12's out the box. Far in between but impossible no. Right driver, right track and the right day is all it takes.
A g37 is not as fast as a 370. It will not run a 12.9 stock engine period. The engine has had modifications done that you can't see from a simple picture, ie cams, tune, gears etc. I have raced g37's with a bmw 335i 6 speed and never lost. That car was not stock. And it will definitely not run with a f-body ls1 so don't even compare it to an f-body that will run 12's stock, you just make yourself look stupid.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Teching In

fastest g37 on dragtimes stock is 13.5. That is the fastest. Average is 14.1. With a turbo it can go 12.5. So the guy doing 12.9 stock probably has a turbo just like the other ones in the 12's.

Quick Reply: Z28 Vs 370z