Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

C5 vs 2011 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's interesting to me is that one test linked to (above) showed a 13.3@107.xx time, while another one (the Motor Trend 1st drive road test and then their subsequent comparo) showed a 111.xx trap with a 12.7/12.8 1/4 mile time.

That's quite a difference.

When I saw that 111.xx trap, I assumed Ford had underrated the engine, but if it's just due to gears and stickier tires, then that's different.

A stock C5 should have no problem with the 2011 GT if it's only trapping 107-ish in true stock form.

Although I guess you could argue that if you can order it with performance gears/tires from the factory, then technically that's "stock"...
Old 04-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Launching!

"You seriously think a Z does 13.1 in the quarter and 4.6 0-60? WOW. GM's own times (which are conservative) are 12.4@116."

^ hah

I ran a 13.1 pass when I left on the traction control and pulled a blazing fast 2.5 60'. I also let off at the end because I knew it was a bunk pass. The was with ~375rwhp in a c5z in 100F+ texas heat.

Friend pulled a 11.8 with the same mods I have now (LTs + CAI). I'm hoping to crack into the 11s if I ever get back out to the drag strip.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyWeatherman
Quoted for truth.

My "base model C5" which technically is a fixed roof coupe, ran a 12.80 @ 112 with headers and CAI as the only mods (stock exhaust), this was with a granny launch 1.90 60'. Since then I've added B&B Bullets and an LS6 intake. I don't think I'd have any problem running a 12.50 @ 115 as it sits...bolt on C5. This is just for reference. That being said, I will line up against a 2011 GT and not be afraid at all.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by ZO7 Josh
C5 or C4 LT4 no problem.
.....will walk the mustang no problem. I agree coondawg.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn do **some** vette owners think they are in a whole other ball game. Must be nice to run a second quicker and 5mph with the only thing different being a 250#s or so and IRS.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Damn do **some** vette owners think they are in a whole other ball game. Must be nice to run a second quicker and 5mph with the only thing different being a 250#s or so and IRS.
No doubt it will be a decently close race. But any c5 non-zo6 vette owner who literally thinks their car is faster stock for stock erasing all variables is just in denial plain and simple. Nothing new though...thats all you will usually see when it is close.

Hasnt Motor Trend with a 12.7 all ready beat the bone stock record for a C5 non Zo6?....that alone is proof enough...jesus. Anyone who thinks that is as good as its going to get...see above...denial.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

do u mean stock c5 to stock z06 or stock c5 to new gt?
Old 05-02-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not too many bone-stock C5s running around that are likely to race... Most C5 guys at the track have at least a couple mods and are in the 12s.

On topic though, the new Stang finally has a sweet N/A engine. Good for Ford!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone claiming a stock C5 is going to run low 12's/high 11's at 115-116 is dreaming. I must have missed that post.

I don't see many C5 owners stating that it will be anything other than very close between a stock 6spd and a GT (a GT with the 3.73 and sticky tires will have an edge). Like I said earlier, an auto C5 with the 3.15 will probably lose. The auto with the 2.73 (which is a lot of C5's) will be beaten soundly.

From earlier in this thread:
Are you serious? The 2011 GT WILL walk all over a C5...
Damn do **some** F-body owners need to educate themselves about C5's. I can tell by the tone of your posts that you don't care much for C5's. That's cool. I can understand that. Just look at the numbers and be realistic about it.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

i think alot of people are putting corvettes on par with f bodies, which they shouldnt. a z06 should run between 12.5 and 12.8, while from what i remember always reading, a regular c5 will run between 12.9 and 13.1. the 13 being a bad driver. I think people should have more faith in these cars and not be so quick to bash them. I'll revert back to what I've always said...throw any kind of body kit on it, throw any amount of astronomically-priced horse power on it, scribble names all over it, at the end of the day, its still a mustang, and my corvette will always be a corvette
Old 05-03-2010, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

A Mustang tuner company ran 12.49 at 112 with the 5.0 this weekend with a tune, LCA's, other misc suspension work and slicks.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Old 05-03-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99C5JA
From earlier in this thread:

Damn do **some** F-body owners need to educate themselves about C5's. I can tell by the tone of your posts that you don't care much for C5's. That's cool. I can understand that. Just look at the numbers and be realistic about it.
I am educated on them as well as fbodys. I love C5s, I have SERIOUSLY considered selling/trading my car from one in the last few weeks (just IMO in the looks department the Ws6 beats them out). I am not biased one way or another.
On average a C5 and an fbody (both similarly optioned) are going to be a drivers race.. I have seen WAY too many C5s lose to fbodys to argue that either way. Just the same I have seen a ton of c5s walk fbodys. Again, I'm not being biased I'm calling it how I see it.
Yes everyone can use the argument that the fastest c5 time is faster than the fbodys but in everyday street racing and even on the drag strip they are usually within 2/10ths and 2 mph MAX. Again that .2 and 2mph can go either way depending on the drivers.
Originally Posted by LWCS561
i think alot of people are putting corvettes on par with f bodies, which they shouldnt. a z06 should run between 12.5 and 12.8, while from what i remember always reading, a regular c5 will run between 12.9 and 13.1. the 13 being a bad driver. I think people should have more faith in these cars and not be so quick to bash them. I'll revert back to what I've always said...throw any kind of body kit on it, throw any amount of astronomically-priced horse power on it, scribble names all over it, at the end of the day, its still a mustang, and my corvette will always be a corvette
That is comical... A car that weighs much less, has way better heads, better exhaust, better cam, etc etc etc is only .4 at best than the other car? Bull **** man... Bull ****.. You are quoting some of the quickest times for base models and average times for Zo6s.
A 13.1 for a bad driver in a C5!?!?! Really is that why I see them ALL DAY LONG running mid low-mid 13s? That was comical at best.. Just like fbodys it takes an exceptional driver in very good conditions in the right car to get into the 12s. Your average C5 will be in the mid 13s, please tell me I am wrong about that. Better yet, prove me wrong. Go to your track and see how many bone stock c5s are in the 12s.. My guess is NOT ONE. They will be running low-mid 13s depending on conditions/driver.
That last statement is typical for a vette owner. I'm not saying vettes aren't nice because they most definitely are... But to talk like that is just silly. Especially if you don't own a Zo6. A base model is nothing special. A cobra will be worth WAY more 10 years from now than a base model. They have held there value just as well, if not better, than Zo6s. I like Zo6s better than Cobras of course but to talk like that, again, is silly.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am educated on them as well as fbodys. I love C5s, I have SERIOUSLY considered selling/trading my car from one in the last few weeks (just IMO in the looks department the Ws6 beats them out). I am not biased one way or another.
On average a C5 and an fbody (both similarly optioned) are going to be a drivers race.. I have seen WAY too many C5s lose to fbodys to argue that either way. Just the same I have seen a ton of c5s walk fbodys. Again, I'm not being biased I'm calling it how I see it.
Yes everyone can use the argument that the fastest c5 time is faster than the fbodys but in everyday street racing and even on the drag strip they are usually within 2/10ths and 2 mph MAX. Again that .2 and 2mph can go either way depending on the drivers.

That is comical... A car that weighs much less, has way better heads, better exhaust, better cam, etc etc etc is only .4 at best than the other car? Bull **** man... Bull ****.. You are quoting some of the quickest times for base models and average times for Zo6s.
A 13.1 for a bad driver in a C5!?!?! Really is that why I see them ALL DAY LONG running mid low-mid 13s? That was comical at best.. Just like fbodys it takes an exceptional driver in very good conditions in the right car to get into the 12s. Your average C5 will be in the mid 13s, please tell me I am wrong about that. Better yet, prove me wrong. Go to your track and see how many bone stock c5s are in the 12s.. My guess is NOT ONE. They will be running low-mid 13s depending on conditions/driver.
That last statement is typical for a vette owner. I'm not saying vettes aren't nice because they most definitely are... But to talk like that is just silly. Especially if you don't own a Zo6. A base model is nothing special. A cobra will be worth WAY more 10 years from now than a base model. They have held there value just as well, if not better, than Zo6s. I like Zo6s better than Cobras of course but to talk like that, again, is silly.
YOU'RE WRONG. and I didnt say all c5's are in the 12s. I said a c5 base would be high 12s low 13's. A Z would be mid 12s to high 12s. SHow me some vids of BASE corvette c5's doing mid 13s or whatever. I've already posted videos of low 13 high 12 passes. Youve been an ******* to people here this whole thread. If you love fords so much why dont you go buy one and give your trans am to someone else.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LWCS561
YOU'RE WRONG. and I didnt say all c5's are in the 12s. I said a c5 base would be high 12s low 13's. A Z would be mid 12s to high 12s. SHow me some vids of BASE corvette c5's doing mid 13s or whatever. I've already posted videos of low 13 high 12 passes. Youve been an ******* to people here this whole thread. If you love fords so much why dont you go buy one and give your trans am to someone else.
You said in the 12s with a bad driver being in the 13s.... That is the same as saying all good drivers in a base model will be in the 12s. I hate to tell you but that is FAR from the truth.
You have posted vids, is that as good as the bible? I don't need to see vids of them making passes.. I see handfuls run every other week at the track, I know what they run.
An *******? Are you a little girl? Get some thicker skin.
If you had any reading comprehension you would know I had a 00 TA.. Where have I ever said I love Fords so much? I said a Cobra was better than a base model C5, which I am sure you have. I would buy one a thousand times over before I bought a base C5.
Also, nice edit...

http://www.streetfire.net/video/ws6-...ock_548104.htm
http://www.streetfire.net/video/stoc...-c5_636865.htm

Promise you there are a thousand more vids out there of stock C5s running mid 13s than there are 12s.. Why? Cause 12s RARELY ever happen in them. They are low-mid 13s on average with a good driver. Please, prove me wrong.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I read your post again... BUHAHHAHA, you are funny.

You fell bad that my car is owned by me... Care to explain why?

Typical nutswinging fan boi with his little vette. I call it how it I see it... You however need to step out fro behind the curtain.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

both of y'all are right depending on where these cars were ran at....dont forget about DA's, sealevel makes a big difference...i've seen c5's and c6's run high 13's in memphis, even seen some auto c5's run 14.0's....i wrecked my m6 98 TA that ran 13.98@103 bone stock...would have went a little faster with a better driver but not much, look at how low my trap speed was "TURD"....my 02 A4 Z28 went 12.89 with a 2.73 with just full exhaust and a hand held...i put a stall and 3.73 and my 60.ft went from 2.0's to 1.55...my car only made 322 to the rear before the stall and 3.73....lets wait for the 11GT to come out and prove itself before we fight about it..."ZX14 was the answer for the Hayabusa remember"....
Old 05-03-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by yarrie
both of y'all are right depending on where these cars were ran at....dont forget about DA's, sealevel makes a big difference...i've seen c5's and c6's run high 13's in memphis, even seen some auto c5's run 14.0's....i wrecked my m6 98 TA that ran 13.98@103 bone stock...would have went a little faster with a better driver but not much, look at how low my trap speed was "TURD"....my 02 A4 Z28 went 12.89 with a 2.73 with just full exhaust and a hand held...i put a stall and 3.73 and my 60.ft went from 2.0's to 1.55...my car only made 322 to the rear before the stall and 3.73....lets wait for the 11GT to come out and prove itself before we fight about it..."ZX14 was the answer for the Hayabusa remember"....
I was talking "average".... Meaning a DA of round 1500-2000+ or so. I would say that is a good "average" to go by.

I seem to be one of the few (obviously yourself as well) that accounts DA into the equation when talking about drag racing and "averages".
Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I went to the track stock I was consistently a few tenths quicker than the comparable f-bodies. I have seen stock C5 6spds dip into the 12's. But the norm for a 6spd is low 13's. The 3.15 autos seem to be mid 13 cars and the 2.73 autos high 13's.

It weighs about 100lbs less if the owner doesn't swap out the wheels and exhaust. The exhaust isn't really any better, just lighter. Way better heads? LS6 heads are decent factory pieces, but any average aftermarket head will outflow it by a large margin. I personally don't recommend the time and energy to swap to LS6 heads with the very cheap and excellent aftermarket heads available. Better cam? Compared to the stock LS1, sure. But again the specs are anemic and nothing to get excited about. Still the heads/cam along with the tranny gearing (probably a bigger quarter mile booster than the extra power) is good for mid to low 12's.

They can hit 12's. It happens. But as I stated above the average is usually a tick slower. Still low 13's with a trap speed of 110+ is enough to make it a drivers race with a new GT. It's not going to "WALK" the C5 like you originally posted.

That last statement is typical for a vette owner. I'm not saying vettes aren't nice because they most definitely are... But to talk like that is just silly. Especially if you don't own a Zo6. A base model is nothing special.
Well thank you for insulting any of us that didn't purchase the Z06. Go find a Z51 6spd coupe or FRC with non runflats and take it through some twisty roads or go for a high speed blast and see what you think. I had a WS6 prior to owning the C5. The C5 has a lot more going for it than it's straight line performance.

A cobra will be worth WAY more 10 years from now than a base model. They have held there value just as well, if not better, than Zo6s. I like Zo6s better than Cobras of course but to talk like that, again, is silly.
Corvettes hold their value fairly well. The Cobra will no doubt hold it's value well too. Hard to speculate where they'll end up. The Cobra is rarer so it will probably be worth more. Though they made enough of them it's hard to say.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

"Well thank you for insulting any of us that didn't purchase the Z06. Go find a Z51 6spd coupe or FRC with non runflats and take it through some twisty roads or go for a high speed blast and see what you think. I had a WS6 prior to owning the C5. The C5 has a lot more going for it than it's straight line performance."

-This is very true. Having both, the c5 is the first thing i'd take on back twisties. And with my previous trans am, i built up the suspension to where i could outrun a wrx on the backroads
Old 05-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99C5JA
It weighs about 100lbs less if the owner doesn't swap out the wheels and exhaust. The exhaust isn't really any better, just lighter. Way better heads? LS6 heads are decent factory pieces, but any average aftermarket head will outflow it by a large margin. I personally don't recommend the time and energy to swap to LS6 heads with the very cheap and excellent aftermarket heads available. Better cam? Compared to the stock LS1, sure. But again the specs are anemic and nothing to get excited about. Still the heads/cam along with the tranny gearing (probably a bigger quarter mile booster than the extra power) is good for mid to low 12's.
This is true. However add everything up and it's a nice combination for being factory stock.

Obviously there is the extra horsepower (405). Stock an '02 C5Z puts down between 350-360 to the wheels (some more, some less).

Then you add in the weight savings over a regular vette.

Plus the M12 transmission for more agressive gearing.

Plus the FE4 suspension bits.

Plus the wider and lighter wheels which reduce rotating mass and increase contact with the road.

Etc, etc.

The end result is a car that holds a record of 11.78 in the Quarter Mile - A full second quicker than the best Quarter Mile record for the C5.

That's huge.

And that's before even touching it such as adding I/E/Tune

I love this quote:
And once in Fourth, the 3074-pound badass broke through the 11-second barrier, running 11.97 at 118.80.

Eleven ninety-seven--that's a tough number to fathom. Even more so because this thing was dead stock. We didn't pull the air filter. ****, we didn't even check the tire pressure!
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ure/index.html

Quick Reply: C5 vs 2011 Mustang GT