Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

impression of 5.0 from camaro owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetC5
I think your missing my point, we all know how well the 5.0 is doing... I just do not care, you 5.0 mustang guys have a stick up your *** lately! You want to campare car's thats fine, your car is faster... thats fine with me, I still love my camaro and would buy a stang ever! So when I get to the track next month and run my car and post a time, it would nice to not have you chime in and tell me how mauch faster your car is with the same mods, why because I dont give a ****! Comparing notes and being a dick about your god like stang is two differnt things!
Maybe i come off as a dick cause everyone has to tried doubting what the 5.0 can run. SO i provided info other wise. SOme cant handle being corrected. People posting how a mid 12 car beat a car that runs mid 11s on average. **** happens at the track. You maybe get a win that you shouldnt. Does that mean you will every time or that is the average. Of course not. If people really believe the 13 sec 5.0 is what it runs they need some more research. Just as i know the camaros's i see running 13s and 14s is not the car also. That they are capable of 12s stock.

Take your car to track. I will tell you good times.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your missing my point, we all know how well the 5.0 is doing... I just do not care, you 5.0 mustang guys have a stick up your *** lately! You want to campare car's thats fine, your car is faster... thats fine with me, I still love my camaro and would buy a stang ever! So when I get to the track next month and run my car and post a time, it would nice to not have you chime in and tell me how mauch faster your car is with the same mods, why because I dont give a ****! Comparing notes and being a dick about your god like stang is two differnt things!

I see two possible solutions for you :

1. Stick your head in the sand and don't read or post in any thread with "5.0" in the title.

2. Don't post your slow track times.

Just saying.....
Old 05-05-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Ohio, thats the first post you made that I think we can agree on! I dont doubt what your car can do. All I am saying is that all this smack talking about both cars is crazy, the mustang SHOULD be a bit faster for what it is. If I ever pull some wieght off my car and get some drag wheels and tires, we will have a better comparision.

Fog...
Old 05-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FOG52
I see two possible solutions for you :

1. Stick your head in the sand and don't read or post in any thread with "5.0" in the title.

2. Don't post your slow track times.

Just saying.....
Funny coming from someone who drives a GT500. The car that needs 500+ hp to run 12's and atleast 100hp more than its opponent to win the race - maybe.

Just sayin.....
Old 05-05-2011, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Ohio, thats the first post you made that I think we can agree on! I dont doubt what your car can do. All I am saying is that all this smack talking about both cars is crazy, the mustang SHOULD be a bit faster for what it is. If I ever pull some wieght off my car and get some drag wheels and tires, we will have a better comparision.

Fog...
I really think the camaro has all the power it needs to run good times. Or should say the engine does. You hit it on the head though. Weight. Even the weight between the two and its a true drivers race. You will see that more with fully loaded 5.0s compared to 2ss camaros. Its a lot closer. If GM would offer a striper version that wasnt more then 3600lbs with a full fuel tank I would prolly still be in a LSX based car..

I dont remember is your car a auto or manual?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Funny coming from someone who drives a GT500. The car that needs 500+ hp to run 12's and atleast 100hp more than its opponent to win the race - maybe.

Just sayin.....
Have you road in a new 10'-11' GT500? They are way faster then mi 12s. Stock even. They are every traction limited. Tire change alone they have went 11.1-11.3s.

When the new ZL1 comes out i suspect same type of times from it. Street tires not impressive. But with some sticky tires it will crush the 1/4 mile.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fogz/Ohioborn - A large percentage of this forum agrees that the new GT has bested the newest camaro. You just won't shut up about it. Geez, I mean you guys come off like some sort of kid that just found your ***** and has to repeatedly tell us all in case we forgot. No one doubts Fords new GT, you are just using that as the basis to repeatedly tell us what we all already know in an attempt to achieve some type of hierarchy over us poor lsx owners.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by willizm
Fogz/Ohioborn - A large percentage of this forum agrees that the new GT has bested the newest camaro. You just won't shut up about it. Geez, I mean you guys come off like some sort of kid that just found your ***** and has to repeatedly tell us all in case we forgot. No one doubts Fords new GT, you are just using that as the basis to repeatedly tell us what we all already know in an attempt to achieve some type of hierarchy over us poor lsx owners.
Actually right now i was responding to some questions..I dont think the 5.0 is no god specially over LSx engine. Specially being the make same hp as them...yes not every LS engine make only lower 400s... I think they both are great engines. The LS is what i would use if building a GM or say a 240sx. NIce 6.0L or something close..lol

I donyt think it was a hierarchy..After all ford still has some catching up to do. They still need a car that can compete with the Vett on a regular basis. Cause lets face it a well driven Grand Sport will beat a 5.0 stock to stock. No reason to go higher in vett level.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Well if you read you will notice i said i know it was. But wasnt sure where to put to share. SO your behind the curve..
At least I wasn't dense enough to post a thread in the wrong section to being with...
Old 05-05-2011, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
At least I wasn't dense enough to post a thread in the wrong section to being with...
EWWWW you so got me...Here is your cookie..
Old 05-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Have you road in a new 10'-11' GT500? They are way faster then mi 12s. Stock even. They are every traction limited. Tire change alone they have went 11.1-11.3s.

When the new ZL1 comes out i suspect same type of times from it. Street tires not impressive. But with some sticky tires it will crush the 1/4 mile.
You don't pay much attention to small details do you???

FOG52 drives an '08. And no I have not road in either '10 or '11 and don't care to honestly.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:34 AM
10 Second Club

You don't pay much attention to small details do you???

FOG52 drives an '08. And no I have not road in either '10 or '11 and don't care to honestly.
The 08 suffers from same thing. Traction in stock form. If cars never do this guess there be no need for better performance based street tires. Or cars would never spin the tires. You would here excuses from people saying well if i would have been on slicks or DRs i woudlnt have spun and that guy win.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Just sayin.....

And with a cheap pulley tune and CAI and a hour of work you can get an extra 130 wheel hp over stock. With that and just simple set of drag radials and nothing else mine ran 11.3. Not to bad for a 4 seat pony car.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Actually right now i was responding to some questions..I dont think the 5.0 is no god specially over LSx engine. Specially being the make same hp as them...yes not every LS engine make only lower 400s... I think they both are great engines. The LS is what i would use if building a GM or say a 240sx. NIce 6.0L or
something close..lol
The same power as an LS3 stock for stock and bolt on vs bolt on - yes. Once the LS3 gets into the internals it will run away from the Coyote 5.0. The only thing that keeps the '11 5.0 owners ahead of the '10/'11 Camaro is the weight advantage PERIOD! Its not like the 5.0 is superior to the LS3 because it definitely is not.

BTW not flaming the 5.0 it is an awesome motor.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

The same power as an LS3 stock for stock and bolt on vs bolt on - yes. Once the LS3 gets into the internals it will run away from the Coyote 5.0. The only thing that keeps the '11 5.0 owners ahead of the '10/'11 Camaro is the weight advantage PERIOD! Its not like the 5.0 is superior to the LS3 because it definitely is not.

I Think it it is hard to say what the 5.0 will do right now with cams. As far as I have found is only cams is Comp Cams. And no one is tried them yet. One shop has and claimed 45ish whp with one set. But no one has actually tried them Th eshop is a comp cam vendor so i dont bite on that. Few shops claimed 30ish whp from reground stock cams.

I think we will have to wait and see on that..

As far as weight be biggest thing. I totally agree. Also never said either is superior.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Well I wouldn't be so quick to make that conclusion. Its making a lot more horses per cubic inches and is using a much newer technology. The technology of the 5.0 is the future the technology of the LS3 is the technology of the past. Most manufacturers are getting away from push rods. Don't get me wrong I like LS engines but their days of manufacturing is numbered.

The 5.0 is making 82hp per L and the LS# is making 67.4 per L

Last edited by FOG52; 05-05-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Well I wouldn't be so quick to make that conclusion. Its making a lot more horses per cubic inches and is using a much newer technology. The technology of the 5.0 is the future the technology of the LS3 is the technology of the past. Most manufacturers are getting away from push rods. Don't get me wrong I like LS engines but their days of manufacturing is numbered.
So your saying our old tech is making the same power as your new tech even though it has more cubes. Well your tech has 4 cams and twice as many valves. Its not the same motor at all there is not point in comparing them. Its like a Honda guy say well my motor makes more power per cylinder so its better. That's stupid
Old 05-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Launching!

And with a cheap pulley tune and CAI and a hour of work you can get an extra 130 wheel hp over stock. With that and just simple set of drag radials and nothing else mine ran 11.3. Not to bad for a 4 seater pony car.
Well of course, an Eaton from the factory will do that for you. No suprise there. Take that out of the equation and your times wouldn't even be worth talking about.

That's why you shouldn't be making comments like the one above.

I Think it it is hard to say what the 5.0 will do right now with cams. As far as I have found is only cams is Comp Cams. And no one is tried them yet. One shop has and claimed 45ish whp witho one set. But no one has actually tried them Th eshop is a comp cam vendor so i dont bite on that. Few shops claimed 30ish whp from reground stock cams.

I think we will have to wait and see on that..

As far as weight be biggest thing. I totally agree. Also never said either is superior.
I too am anxious to see what the Coyote will do with a solid N/A build. So far I've seen only one example which put down a tad over 500rwhp. I know the LS3's have done that cam-only. Its just too bad it sits in that heavy platform.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jetaws6
So your saying our old tech is making the same power as your new tech even though it has more cubes. Well your tech has 4 cams and twice as many valves. Its not the same motor at all there is not point in comparing them. Its like a Honda guy say well my motor makes more power per cylinder so its better. That's stupid
Not stupid at all there is a reason why most manufacturers are going to OHC engines. Chevy will too eventually.

Compared to OHV pushrod systems with the same number of valves the reciprocating components of the OHC system are fewer and have a lower total mass. Though the system that drives the cams may become more complex, most engine manufacturers easily accept that added complexity in trade for better engine performance and greater design flexibility. Another performance advantage is gained as a result of the better optimized port configurations made possible with overhead camshaft designs. With no intrusive pushrods the overhead camshaft cylinder head design can use straighter ports of more advantageous crossection and length.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Launching!

Well I wouldn't be so quick to make that conclusion. Itns making a lot more horses per cubic inches and is using a much newer technology. The technology of the 5.0 is the future the technology of the LS3 is the technology of the past. Most manufacturers are getting away from push rods. Don't get me wrong I like LS engines but their days of manufacturing is numbered.

The 5.0 is making 82hp per L and the LS# is making 67.4 per L
I didn't know we were on a Honda forum.

Im not talking about hp/L or manufacturing numbers. Im talking sheer, overall horsepower & torque. And so far the LS3 is on top in that catagory.

Besides even when GM does decide to drop the LS name its engines will continue to dominate the streets for many many years to come.

Quick Reply: impression of 5.0 from camaro owner