Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Yup... Another HP guess thread. Builder says 500ish at flexplate.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yup... Another HP guess thread. Builder says 500ish at flexplate.

I'm kind new to LS1 stuff. Up till now it's been 1st gen and LT stuff. We're having the engine built for our 2001 Corvette and the builder is thinking we should be in the 500 HP range at the flexplate. Maybe someone here has a similar set up and can give me an accurate estimate?

Stock bore/stroke 346
Eagle 6.125" h-beams
Probe forged flat tops
Mahle moly rings
King bearings
ARP main studs, head bolts, and cam bolts
COMP 232-234 - .595"-.598" lift 112 LSA
COMP 850 lifters
COMP behhive springs
COMP double roller chain
SLP oil pump
Cometic .051" head gaskets
Scorpion 1.7 rockers
Scorpion pushrods
Lloyd Elliot LE2 ported 241s
LS6 intake and throttle body
42# Racetronix injectors
OBX headers and exhaust
Cahall "Pro Race" 4L60E
Protorque 3200 9.5"
3.15 gears

The goal is to put the car in the mid 11 range on motor. I know the 3.15s will hurt but this cars primary use is a show car and it gets driven ALOT. The car weighs 3200#, and will have a set of drag radials on 17x11" wheels. We also have a progressively controlled kit that can spray up to 250.

Frank
Old 04-09-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably right, or close.

Why would you not go on and stroke it out to a 383?

Ditch the rockers and run the stock rockers with the Comp Trunian upgrade.

Ditch the double roller for a single roller IWIS chain and reuse the sock gears.

Do not see a need for the ARP bolts either, the stock main bolts are fine and can be reused. Just buy new GM head bolts, about $30-$40 per head.

Look for some better springs. Below

Melling Select pump

Forget everything about a SBC/LT motor when you start working on an LS.

http://www.briantooleyracing.com/

Last edited by 96lt4c4; 04-09-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

LOL. My Fiancee is a distributor for Scorpion. I guess I should have mentioned that she owns her own performance parts store. The SLP pump is the only one that clears a double roller. I like the idea of the double roller. Got really good prices on the ARP stuff too...

Frank
Old 04-09-2013, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd keep the ARP head bolts if he's spraying. 500 to the flexplate is around 400 to 415 to the wheels I'd say. Sounds realistic.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

sounds like an awesome build and a very awesome wife! lol x2 on that SBC/LT comment though, if you dont do your own work, never let anyone who hasnt worked on LS engines near your LS1
Old 04-10-2013, 02:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not everyone has an extra 1000+$mid engine build for a stroker build. I went with a 370 vs a 408 to stay in budget and still blew it.

He doesn't need a 383 for his goals.

Not crazy about a 3200 converter but it Will work nice with the nitrous.

I don't even have mains in my motor.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lemons12
Not everyone has an extra 1000+$mid engine build for a stroker build. I went with a 370 vs a 408 to stay in budget and still blew it.

He doesn't need a 383 for his goals.

Not crazy about a 3200 converter but it Will work nice with the nitrous.

I don't even have mains in my motor.
If he is already buying pistons, and rods, whats a little extra for a crank? The money he saved on what I mentioned, would help pay for it.

The stock rockers are lighter than the scorpions and will not break.

Research the chain, the C5R uses a single chain. No need to shim the pump, grind on the timing cover.

Budgets and motor builds do not go together....
Old 04-10-2013, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

I'm still a little amazed at how many people think EVERYTHING needs to be stroked. I've never seen a stroker run that much better than a similarly modified stock cube engine. The only advantage I've ever seen from stroking is more bottom end torque. This car is only 3200#. I don't need any more low end torque. Bore size is where the power is made.

Scorpion's don't break anymore. There were a few reports of early LS rockers cracking before they were redesigned. Just as many reports of broken Yella Terras and Sharps.

The reason we're using the SLP oil pump is because the double roller doesn't require shims or grinding with it. A double roller is a better part. We bought many of the associating parts just so we could use it.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Since when is a crank a "little"more? It was an extra grand with my short.
Budget and motor builds don't go together? A 370 with ls3 top end is budget vs an lsx block with mast...

Besides... I said within budget.. Everyone has a budget, some just greater than others.

When you are buying pistons rods studs mains oil bolts cam tune converter power adder gauges heads valve train spark plugs trans fluid coolant lube... Getting my point here? 1000$ is a lot. You sound a bit silly.

He already has a double roller and slp pump.. Id rather that than a single. You want him to sell it and buy a single? A double is stronger.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by showvette
I'm still a little amazed at how many people think EVERYTHING needs to be stroked. I've never seen a stroker run that much better than a similarly modified stock cube engine. The only advantage I've ever seen from stroking is more bottom end torque. This car is only 3200#. I don't need any more low end torque. Bore size is where the power is made.

Scorpion's don't break anymore. There were a few reports of early LS rockers cracking before they were redesigned. Just as many reports of broken Yella Terras and Sharps.

The reason we're using the SLP oil pump is because the double roller doesn't require shims or grinding with it. A double roller is a better part. We bought many of the associating parts just so we could use it.
There are many reasons to go with a stroker, than just the extra stroke. Why would you not want the extra torque? Especially in a car you are driving on the street, even just a little. The stroker also gives you more compression, which lets you run a bigger cam...etc.

Even if the scorpions do not break they are heavy on the tip of the valve, where you do not want the added extra weight.

You are right about the bore size, that’s why I sold the LS1 and went with a brand new 4 inch bore LS2 block, 4 inch stroke, 402...Good luck with your build, not trying to pick it apart, just letting you know what I have learned, from a very good source….
Old 04-10-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lemons12
Since when is a crank a "little"more? It was an extra grand with my short.
Budget and motor builds don't go together? A 370 with ls3 top end is budget vs an lsx block with mast...

Besides... I said within budget.. Everyone has a budget, some just greater than others.

When you are buying pistons rods studs mains oil bolts cam tune converter power adder gauges heads valve train spark plugs trans fluid coolant lube... Getting my point here? 1000$ is a lot. You sound a bit silly.

He already has a double roller and slp pump.. Id rather that than a single. You want him to sell it and buy a single? A double is stronger.
I have seen new Eagle blemish cranks turned .010 for just over $700, that’s not bad if you are on a "Budget". If the guy does not want to build a stroker thats fine. But, if I were already buying rods, pistons, rings, bearings,...there are plenty of sponsors that can put you a nice stroker kit together and save you money. Buying all the parts individual usually costs more.

LOL...you just said you blew your budget. I went into my build obviously knowing I was not going to spend $20K. But, I made good changes along the way that cost me more money. Which I am fine with, that’s what I meant about not setting a budget on a motor build....you should always be prepared to spend more, there is always, “well I might as well do this” another $ 100-$200 here and there.

He never said he already had the parts either, he could just be getting a list together on paper, if he already has the stuff, then buy all means run it.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
There are many reasons to go with a stroker, than just the extra stroke. Why would you not want the extra torque? Especially in a car you are driving on the street, even just a little. The stroker also gives you more compression, which lets you run a bigger cam...etc.

Even if the scorpions do not break they are heavy on the tip of the valve, where you do not want the added extra weight.

You are right about the bore size, that’s why I sold the LS1 and went with a brand new 4 inch bore LS2 block, 4 inch stroke, 402...Good luck with your build, not trying to pick it apart, just letting you know what I have learned, from a very good source….
I went with a +12 piston to help me get my compression up to offset some of the power a 408 would have had me. Is it the difference in 408 VS 370, no... But it was a nice bump for the money (nothing extra). The block was also zero decked. I am 11.9 compression. My buddies old 408 setup only made 20 more Rwhp than I made and I'm running a 5000 converter VS his 3500.

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
I have seen new Eagle blemish cranks turned .010 for just over $700, that’s not bad if you are on a "Budget". If the guy does not want to build a stroker thats fine. But, if I were already buying rods, pistons, rings, bearings,...there are plenty of sponsors that can put you a nice stroker kit together and save you money. Buying all the parts individual usually costs more.

LOL...you just said you blew your budget. I went into my build obviously knowing I was not going to spend $20K. But, I made good changes along the way that cost me more money. Which I am fine with, that’s what I meant about not setting a budget on a motor build....you should always be prepared to spend more, there is always, “well I might as well do this” another $ 100-$200 here and there.

He never said he already had the parts either, he could just be getting a list together on paper, if he already has the stuff, then buy all means run it.
Again 700$+machine work... If I wanted the warranty I had to get it through TMS... It was 1000+$ for me to go with a 408. That is over what I paid for my COMPLETE top end.

I bought a complete short block, I looked at the options.

How does me blowing my budget have anything to do with anything? I blew it with the 370... I would have SERIOUSLY blew it if I went with the 408. How is that helping your argument?

I went in knowing that I was most likely going to spend 2K$ more than I had planned.. Not my first rodeo with modding. A simple cam swap can put you 2-300$ over what you plan on.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Good luck with those Scorpions, hope they have changed since Feb, of this year.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-rockers.html
Old 04-29-2013, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

My Scorpions don't look anything like the one pictured in that thread. I've seen posts about every other manufacturers rockers breaking too. It's not adviseable to run stock rockers over .550" lift. I've used Scorpions on 1st gen SBC and LT1 motors, shifting as high as 7600 RPMs with no problems. All the machine shops and engine builders that I deal with swear by Scorpions. I'm thinking all these LS failures are being caused by a much bigger problem.

Frank

Quick Reply: Yup... Another HP guess thread. Builder says 500ish at flexplate.